Start by marking “The Sisters Grimm” as Want to Read:
The Sisters Grimm

The Sisters Grimm

'Vividly drawn, evocative and complex, The Sisters Grimm is both absorbing and beautiful - a great achievement' Bridget Collins, bestselling author of The Binding
__________________

There are hundreds, possibly thousands, of sisters Grimm on Earth.
You may well be one of them, though you might never know it.
You think you’re ordinary.
You never suspect that you’re stronger
Expected publication: February 6th 2020 by Bantam Press

Start your review of The Sisters Grimm
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four: powerful heroine alerted, entertaining, magical, Grimm-y, surprising stars!

As a fan of Grimm Brothers’ dark, gory, depressing stories which affected my first impressions about real life when I was a child, I happily devour anything written or named with “Grimm”! So when I got my kindle into my hands and saw this book on my shelf, I sang “Thank you, next, next” from Ariana Grande for NetGalley team members and I made my Shirley Temple tap dance (my version of Shirley Temple dance is
Ova - Excuse My Reading
There is something elemental about being a woman. We all feel it. We're the creatures of the moon, the water, the air, the earth; the moon changes every month, every day and so we do.
[image error]
I read The Sisters Grimm as an ode to womanhood. Life tries to break us, change us, push us to our limits, tries us with our biggest fears, sometimes taking the most loved people away from us, sometimes making us estrange ourselves from them.

This is a story of Sisters, who don't even remember each
Umut Reviews
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Sisters Grimm was a special book. It was even more special to read as a woman about the magical story of these 4 sisters. It has a really good idea behind it. The magic of each sister is related to the Earth's elements: water, fire, earth and air. They don't remember each other, growing up separately, but they will come together one day, in a different, magical world to discover their powers.

This book was beautifully written, slowly revealing itself to the reader. It reminded me of The
Emer (A Little Haze)
As I was reading this book I kept thinking about how I would write this review. Because I could never exactly put my finger on what truly this story is about until the last few pages.

I guess the ultimate aims of this book are to exalt the powers of the feminine. It's a book about women on their 18th birthdays finding their hidden strengths and somehow rising above to vanquish the darkness that is pervasive in society. The darkness that is seeing woman as somehow less than. That woman is
Faye Nightingale
epic fantasy fiction. feminist, queer, diverse - what's not to love?! can't WAIT for the sequel!!
K.S. Marsden
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Goldie and her sisters have forgotten who they are. They have forgotten they are powerful; they have forgotten the years of shared dreams. As their 18th birthday approaches, they have to realise the truth behind their childhood fantasies, and fight to survive.

I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The story follows two timelines - now, in the countdown to the four sisters' birthday on Halloween, as they all deal with their real-life problems, as well as the
Lili  Marcus
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review will be posted a month before the publication. :) For now, just be assured that this is a great read and that I enjoyed it immensely but I think my rating already made that obvious. :) :)

K B
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS - review is also on my blog (https://kbbookreviews867789450.wordpr... ), and a link on twitter @BookrviewsKb.

The Sisters Grimm, by Menna van Praag is the perfect Grimm Fairy-tale infused story. Filled with magic, darkness and secrets, it is a tale of war, violence, and unity.

Synopsis used on Netgalley: *this was an eARC so quotes are subject to change*

"There are hundreds, possibly thousands, of sisters Grimm on Earth.
You may well be one of them, though you might never know it.
You
TracieB♠️
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, admittedly to start i was a bit unsure to start, the book is big and there is lots happening within the story, but honestly i loved it!
I got completely in to the story, the authors written was great and i followed it well, if i am honest i hated stopping to do anything adult like!
fab... really enjoyable
Demet
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the privilege to read this book early. It's a powerful story with fantastic female characters. Highly recommended!
Kristi

After finishing The Sisters Grimm, I took some time to gather my thoughts and process everything that this book stands for. This is definitely one of those books that will stay with me for a while.

“She’s like a firework never lit, a flower that never blooms, a baby that’s never born.”

There is something deeply beautiful about this story by Menna Van Praag; a story of four
Lianne
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To begin, I’d like to thank Random House UK, Transworld Publishers, Bantam Press for sending me an ARC of this book, and to NetGalley for facilitating. And a huge thank you to Menna Van Praag!

No spoilers as usual in this review.

This was a huge book to read. Not just because it was quite long but it was packed solid. So many different stories to follow, lots of characters and so many plot lines within each characters story. Then of course the main storyline. It’s written from the perspective of
Rachael McDiarmid
I loved this. Loved it. Loved it do you hear! This was THE fantasy fiction book I wish I had written. It spoke to me. That said I will try and remember to write a proper review when the book has published and everyone can enjoy its magic. Oh and a word with all movie producers, if I may, MAKE THIS INTO A FILM! thank you x
Merrowchild
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that offers hope and heartbreak in equal measure. It’s a story about sisters and family and womanhood. Four sisters born at the same time to different mothers come together in the land of their father. At thirteen they’re divided, only to come together again on their eighteenth birthday, a day of reckoning when they will face an impossible, devastating choice. And then they will fight for their lives.

I loved the diversity in the characters, how different and vital each sister felt
Helen
I was so confused by the start of this that I very nearly gave it up as a bad job.

The narration jumps not just between 5 different characters but also two different times, giving a short burst from each one before cycling back round to the start. It took at least a third of the book before I got a grasp on it, I felt like every time I started to get into the story it threw me back out again.

I don't like the idea that abusive men can be changed by love and that felt like a very strong theme
Julia
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

Thank you so much to the publisher and NetGalley for
an e-ARC of The Sisters Grimm. I’d never read a Menna Van Praag book before, so didn’t quite know what to expect and in fact for me, the writing style took some getting used to. That said, I did enjoy the book and became invested in
the characters.

The story is told from 5 POVs (the estranged half-sisters Goldie, Liyana, Bea and Scarlet, plus Leo, Goldie’s love interest) and flicks between current day and the sisters’ childhood memories.
Anya
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sadly not one for me. I was highly anticipating this book, but I was quite disappointed it didn't turn out the way I expected it to be.
First of all, us it always necessary to put sexual assault and abuse in the story to make characters more evil and show that the main character has a hard life?
I was honestly not prepared for this in the first few pages and it did immediate damage for me not liking this book.
I couldn't connect with any of the characters and I found the story quite confusing and
Kate (beautifulbookland)
This is one of those books that’s just so enchanting and magical that it’s actually difficult to write a review. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside one moment, then the next there would be a revelation or a hint that left me cold.

It’s full of incredible world building and complicated characters you just can’t help but root for (Goldie just owns my soul), with an ending that just destroyed me. I can’t recommend it enough - total magic.
Amanda Evans
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
First off, I have to say a huge thank you to Netgalley and Random House UK, Transworld Publishers for allowing me to read an advanced copy of this amazing book. I knew from the moment I saw the glorious cover and read the blurb that this was a story I was going to love. I wasn't wrong. The Sisters Grimm is beautifully written and I have a feeling this is going to be huge YA hit in 2020.

Where to begin...this story is told in the most beautiful and vivid way that pulls you deep in to the pages and
Kaycee Sterling
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book may not release until 2020 but it’s one of my top reads of 2019!

The book is told in the point of view of 5 of the main characters. The four sisters who’ve forgotten their childhood together have approximately a month to remember all so they can save their lives on their 18th birthday. Each of them are going through tough times already and as the story progresses you learn about their past together and their current difficulties.

The book kept me interested from the very beginning.
Kat
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a read that turned out to be different to what I was expecting not in a bad way as I enjoyed the book but I think at times I found myself getting a bit lost in the storyline. It’s a read full of magic, fairytales but most of all a story of the four sisters Grimm who can’t remember each other and the bringing of them together. This is not a genre of book I would normally read so I did struggle at times but the beautiful writing and the intriguing story kept me wanting to read. It’s a ...more
Sheri
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a story! I connected with this book on many levels. It shows the bonds of women and sisterhood. Every woman has all of these elemental features: earth, air, fire and water. It's very relatable. I could see a bit of myself in each sister. I found myself relating to Goldie the most. Bea was my least favorite and I had a difficult time with her storyline - her mother was detestable.

A beautifully written fantasy/magical inspired book. I felt the beginning was a little slow and that there wasn't
Fanna
Dec 20, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-releases
- compared to Circe
- magical realism
- "bewitching fantasy with a dark edge"
Anna Louise
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Net Galley for sending me a copy in exchange for a honest review.

This book is set to be published on February 8th 2020.

This book follows four girls:

Bea - A student at Cambridge college, incredibly hardworking and a bit of a strange character. I couldn't really connect with her. Air witch.

Liyana - a woman of colour, her family came to the UK from Ghana. she is also the only queer character, and has a secret girlfriend. Used to be an athlete (Olympic level swimmer) before an accident
Naz Ekin
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The brilliance of this book crept up on me. At first we meet the sisters Grimm in the real, everyday world and we don't start seeing the magic till a few chapters in. Then it goes back in time and - boom! - it all kicks off. Wow. What can I say? I was blown away by this book. The writing style is superb - so many stunning images and lyrical passages - and the way the author builds the characters! I fell in love with them all, especially the "bad" ones. Bea gave me all the feelings. My heart ...more
Nicki Markus
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Sisters Grimm had a fascinating premise, and the idea translated well on the page. I liked the way each sister connected to a different element, and the shift from past to present in the narrative worked nicely. There was a good gradual reveal of information as the story progressed, moving at just the right pace. I didn't dislike any of the characters; however, I never fell in love with any of them. I would have liked a deeper connection. In the end, this is a four-star read for me. I really ...more
Charlotte Davies
“I’m a thief, a liar, I might even be a murder too but you’ll have to make up your own mind about that.” The first sentence of Sisters Grimm captured me instantly and the story held me to the last. I read it in one sitting. And it’s not short! But I couldn’t put it down. The characters were very well drawn, and each unique with their own distinct personalities and backgrounds - good race and queer representation too - my favourite was Bea as she was such a bad-ass! The ending broke my heart. I ...more
Sarah Wood
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a beautifully written magical book. There are 4 sisters, they share a father and have different mothers. They forgot each other and their magic which are related to the elements.
Then on their 18th birthday the gates to magical land will open and they will have to fight with "soldiers" to survive.
Oh, if you love female heroines with different POVs this one is for you! Loved this!!
Dr_ficticity
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Sisters Grimm byMenna van Praag

Once upon a time, a demon who desired earthly domination fathered an army of dark daughters to help him corrupt humanity . . .

As children, Goldie, Liyana, Scarlet, and Bea dreamed of a strange otherworld: a nightscape of mists and fog, perpetually falling leaves and hungry ivy, lit by an unwavering moon. Here, in this shadowland of Everwhere, the four girls, half-sisters connected by blood and magic, began to nurture their elemental powers together. But at
Natalie
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow!
When I received this arc I did not want to open it, it was so beautiful! The Sisters Grimm is written from multiple povs which I'm not used to, and jumps back a decade every few "chapters" (it's written as a countdown so each chapter is a date)
Menna's writing is beautiful and so wonderfully magical, I loved getting to know the characters and watching them find each other and their powers! A beautiful tale of sisterhood, darkness and the light and believing in yourself!
I found it wasn't your
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Page numbering 1 19 Sep 24, 2019 03:21PM

• A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
  • The Mercies
  • The Temple House Vanishing
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • Blood Countess
  • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
  • The Other People
  • A Window Breaks
  • The Glass Magician
  • One Week 'Til Christmas
  • The Lost Ones
Menna van Praag was born in Cambridge, England and studied Modern History at Oxford University. Her first novella - an autobiographical tale about a waitress who aspires to be a writer - Men, Money & Chocolate has been translated into 26 languages. Her magical realism novels are all set among the colleges, cafes and bookshops of Cambridge. The House at the End of Hope Street (2014), The Dress ...more