Start by marking “We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)” as Want to Read:
We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)

We Hunt the Flame

(Sands of Arawiya #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  4,315 ratings  ·  1,306 reviews
People lived because she killed. People died because he lived.

Nobody knows that Zafira is the Hunter. Forced to disguise herself as a man, she braves the cursed forest to feed her people. If she is exposed as a girl, all of her achievements will be rejected.

Nasir is the infamous Prince of Death, assassinating those foolish enough to defy his autocratic father, the sultan.
Published August 8th 2019 by Macmillan Children's Books (first published May 14th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about We Hunt the Flame, please sign up.
Hafsah Faizal It does not! The characters live in a fantasy world inspired by ancient Arabia. In the real world, the region has far more religions than Islam alone.…moreIt does not! The characters live in a fantasy world inspired by ancient Arabia. In the real world, the region has far more religions than Islam alone.

That said:
1) I didn't feel comfortable mixing Islam with fantasy/something so unreal.
2) I didn't want my identity to be paired with my debut.
3) WE HUNT THE FLAME is further proof that Arab =/= Muslim and vice versa.(less)

·  4,315 ratings  ·  1,306 reviews

Chaima ✨ شيماء
I thought of various ways to preface this review; I was even tempted to embroider, to sugarcoat, to essentially reinvent, but now it seems, in the interests of candidness, most expedient to come to the point: I really did not like this book. And none is more stricken by this than me.

The spell We Hunt the Flame tries to cast does not land. My memory of the story vanished as quickly as a breath blown over cold glass. My indifference was such a palpable thing that my turning the last page was accom
Hafsah Faizal
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE: if you're in need of a glossary and pronunciation guide, look no further!
_______

The first ever "review" for my book. The story of my heart. The characters who tormented me for four years until their plight reached the written page. I can't wait to share this story of a girl, a prince, a general, elves, and a world worth fighting for.

Thank you to every soul who adds this, reads this, and cherishes this. ♥
jessica
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
‘we hunt the flame, the light in the darkness, the good this world deserves.’

wow. i am pleasantly surprised by this! i think it helped that i didnt have any expectations going in and that i was totally in the mood for some exotic ancient arabian magic. so this is just what i needed!

the main thing carrying this story is definitely the arabic representation. it just gives the story a lush and cultural feel that is much needed in the book world. had you taken that away, would this still be worth
may ❀
full review posted

i cant even begin to explain how much this book means to me (but im going to try and fail with this review) i'm just so happy to see a middle eastern inspired fantasy get so much hype and recognition, I could weep

but we aint here to cry (yet) we’re here to scream until our voice gets hoarse (BC IT WAS SO BLOODY GOOD)

Writing/word building:

the arabian world that Hafsah built felt so vibrant and concrete to me. the descriptions, the imagery, the eloquence of the language used
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
May Owlcrate Box! Click on the link below my picture to see all of the goodies!

THE GOODIES

I hate when I don’t like books with freaking awesome covers!!! 🤬

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Kerri
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i had an opportunity to read this early and i'm pretty jealous of myself :) this book is INCREDIBLE and i'm pretty sure i've found my book husband.

official blurb:

Hafsah Faizal’s voice is not one that simply speaks, but sings across the page. WE HUNT THE FLAME is a spellbinding tale filled with deception, political intrigue, and atmosphere that lives and breathes—I am obsessed with this story.
Hamad
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“ People lived because she killed.
People died because he lived.”

Disclaimer: ARCs provided by the publisher through Edelweiss in exchange of an honest review!

🌟 I have been waiting patiently for this book since it was in the writing stages and was recommended to me! I mean a fantasy with Arabian Settinng written by a Muslim Author? I couldn’t ask for more!

🌟 Now the book had a solid start, the first two chapters have
Clemlucian (🏳️‍🌈the villain's quest)
“Be as victorious as the name I have given you, and bring the desert to its knees.”

⭐⭐ angry stars.

Instagram | blog

description

I know, I read this book a week ago and I'm only writing this review just now. I KNOW I SUCK. And now I don't remember 70% of the book because it's that forgettable and it's been a week.

Anyway, do I even need to present We Hunt The Flame? It's been all over booktwitter (and I'm not even on it) and everyone keeps talking about it. It hit the NYT Bestseller list already and the int
Lola
After finishing a fast-paced, action-packed YA Fantasy book (Wicked Saints), it was hard getting into a slow-paced, thought-driven story. I was going to say ‘‘character-driven’’ because there’s a lot of saying hello and goodbye to different people, but the protagonists are not particularly three-dimensional and it’s a very descriptive novel.

I don’t mind description as a general rule because it helps set the scene and helps us understand why certain characters are behaving in unexpected ways. I d
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
REVIEW TO COME SOON!

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I'm currently reading this book! It sounds good and intriguing. I'm also in the mood to read a fantasy book and I'm ecstatic to start reading it! ☺

Have you read it? And did like it? Or do you plan to read it?
Roshani Chokshi
I had the opportunity to read this debut as an advanced reader copy, and enjoyed it so much I gave it a blurb! Here's my official take: “A sparkling debut, full of mystery and magic, vivid characters and rich language.” Also, I cannot express how happy it makes me to see so much fabulous representation for women of color. I wish I had this when I was younger!
Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell
Book: I'm a cross-dressing fantasy epic with stolen artifacts and Middle Eastern influences

Me: Cool, that sounds amazing.

Book: Also, there's going to be an enemies to lovers romance where the prince is probably going to try to kill her at some point.

Me: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MOTHERFUCKING MONEY
Aneeqah
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Buckle up, because it's story time.

I first joined the online community as a YA book blogger. I remember absolutely loving the bookish people I met, both via blogs on Twitter, but also feeling isolated. Because there was no one like me in the community.

Until I stumbled onto a little blog called Icey Books, run by Hafsah Faizal.

I watched Hafsah grow her blog into one of the most popular sites, start a kickass design business, and create the most beautiful of author websites. She's always been s
may ➹
this book did a complete 180, and instead of falling asleep reading it, I have fallen in love with it

// buddy read with picasso (tag later)
Azraa F
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Nasir Ghameq entering your life:

description

DISCLAIMER: THE PRINCE OF DEATH IS MINE AND I WILL FIGHT ANYONE WHO TRIES TO CLAIM HIM

Jessica Khoury
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so fortunate to read this early! Richly imagined, intricately woven, cinematically told. It’s Hunger Games meets An Ember in the Ashes.

My official blurb:

“Fresh, bold storytelling populated with vibrant characters marks Hafsah Faizal as an explosive new voice in fantasy. Charged with adrenaline and romance, WE HUNT THE FLAME held me enthralled and desperate for more!”
April (Aprilius Maximus)
3.5 stars!

Thank you so much to the publisher for sending me a review copy!

Okay, here's the thing.
The first bit and the last bit of the book = LIT
The 300 pages in the middle = LIT...ERALLY NOTHING HAPPENS

Things I loved:
- the writing is GORGEOUS. Faizal has an actual gift, it's so beautiful.
- the feminist undertones. It's clear that the main character lives in a world where women are oppressed and is fighting to change it.
- ENEMIES TO LOVERS!!! (literally enemies - he's a murderer/assassin who
Asma
I LOVE THIS BOOK. ALL THE CHARACTERS ARE PRECIOUS CINNAMON BUNS AND I SHALL WAIT UNTIL AN OFFICIAL SYNOPSIS IS REVEALED BEFORE I SAY MORE. It's basically like Assassin's Creed meets Lord of the Rings meets the Hunger Games in an alt-Arabia.
Umairah | Sereadipity
"We hunt the flame, the light in the darkness, the good this world deserves."

Plot: 3/5
Characters: 4/5
Writing: 4/5

We Hunt the Flame was a book about discovering and owning your own identity against the backdrop of a world inspired by Ancient Arabia. I liked it but I still felt underwhelmed by its.... 'averageness' especially because it was one of my most anticipated releases of the year.

It was set in a fictional country called Arawiya that was divided up into caliphates. It used to have magic but
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
I loved this with all my heart!

RTC

---------

Your girl got an ARC! 😍
Nastassja
Love is for children, said the girl. Death is for fools, said the shadow. Darkness is my destiny, said the boy. Allegiance is my undoing, said the eagle. Suffering is our fate, said the beauty. And they were all horribly wrong.

A story that promises richness of Ancient Arawiya, tortured assassin princes, and brave maidens who will definitely save the day: sign me in! I was so very excited to read We Hunt the Flame, especially because it was written by a Muslim author writing about Arabian cultu
mahana
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
full review now on my blog!

"He paused and met her eyes. If a poet were to describe them, he would say to look into her eyes was to see the sea's first glimpse of the endless ripples. Or something like that. Nasir was no poet."

Zafira is the infamous Hunter of Arz, disguising as a man and venturing into the cursed forest to feed her people. Women in her caliphate are not respected and married off to men if they exhibit signs of autonomy. Therefore, the caliph discovering she’s a woman would dimi
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)

This book was a mindblowing experience. It was everything I wanted out of a story inspired by Arabian Nights and also the characters are so broody and I wanted more of them?

Some thoughts on the book:
- Altair is my favourite, in all of his flirtatious, confident glory. In fact he was the shining light in this whole book.
- It's so quotable and filled with beautifully written descriptions.
- Loved the magic and the desert setting, with all the ifrits, magi, Tale of the Six Sisters, Sultan
Vicky Who Reads
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was shaky at the start, but I really got invested later on! ahhh
Angelica
May 30, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
90% of the reason this book is on my list is because of the hype. The other 10% is because of the cover.

The cover is nice. The real question is if it lives up to the hype?
Heather
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got an early peek at WE HUNT THE FLAME and oh what a gift it was! Hafsah Faizal wrote a dark, beautiful story that made me FEEL. The language slipped around me like threads weaving magic, some lines so full of emotion I read them again.

And again.

Zafira and Nasir were more than characters on a page—they were flesh and blood, full of darkness and hope. Their inner struggles were as much a journey as their trek into a strange, shadowed land. And although the kingdoms may have lost all magic, it l
Joshee Kun (조수아)
We hunt the flame, the light in the darkness, the good this world deserves.

This was a diverse but very boring debut. I finished it after a month even after downloading the Audible edition and listening to it at 1.5x speed. Sadly, the prowess of both narrators did not compensate for the slow pace of the plot. I'm not a stranger to flowery writing; I love the lyrical voices of Roshani Chokshi, Mary E. Pearson, and Marie Rutkoski. However, this book proves that there's no point to excellent telling
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
I wanted to love it. But it was really just okay.

*Review to come*
Navessa

DNF @ 30%.

So sad that this didn't work for me. Full RTC closer to release date.
Sheharzad ⚘
Nov 10, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy
i'm so ready to devour this gimmegimmegimme

• Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • The Candle and the Flame
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • The Midnight Lie
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • The Beholder
  • Incendiary
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • The Half King (Untitled, #1)
  • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
  • Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
  • The Kingdom of Back
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
Hafsah Faizal is an American Muslim and brand designer. She’s the founder of IceyDesigns, where she creates websites for authors and beauteous goodies for everyone else. When she’s not writing, she can be found dreaming up her next design, deciding between Assassin’s Creed and Skyrim, or traversing the world. Born in Florida and raised in California, she now resides in Texas with her family and a ...more

Sands of Arawiya (2 books)
  • We Free the Stars (Sands of Arawiya #2)
“We hunt the flame, the light in the darkness, the good this world deserves.” 99 likes
“Heart of my heart. Moon of my soul.” 65 likes