Start by marking “Homefront: An Expeditionary Force Audio Drama Special (Expeditionary Force, #7.5)” as Want to Read:

Homefront: An Expeditionary Force Audio Drama Special

(Expeditionary Force #7.5)

Audible Audio, Original recording, 6 pages
Published June 18th 2019 by Podium Presents

To ask other readers questions about Homefront, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homefront

Alana
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
The story/plot was very good, but the excessive background noises and music were distracting.
Carl Knecht
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible, read2019
There are many who are confused by this, so I feel I have to break it down, Barney style. Let's first start with the fact that this isn't an audiobook. It's a drama special. If you go into this with the understanding that this is more like a radio drama and not a book being read to you, then you would be correct. Not sure why some monkeys are having a hard time understanding that this isn't a book, but there you go.

The Good: Well, it's another ExForce story, and R.C. Bray is involved. If you've
Todd Oliver
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Homefront was a very fast paced and exciting audio drama! Lots of alien butt kicking action and even more laughs, mostly from the two artificial intelligences. The story was great, but I want to talk more about the cast in this review. Phenomenal cast! Kate Mulgrew is one of my absolute favorite female narrators and I live her as an actress as well. Zachary Quinton is another actor I really like and love his narration skills! Robert Picardo is always fun to listen to. All three of those people a ...more
Chip
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although I give this 4 stars, I have to expound upon the rating.

I've loved this whole series, and this is another good installment. I embraced the format, though I had to adapt -- it was like listening to a movie. The performances were great, too; RC Bray did his usual phenomenal job portraying Skippy and Joe. Kate Mulgrew was an interesting choice for Nagatha, but... Kate Mulgrew!!!

HOWEVER, I was extremely disappointed with the production. The audio quality was awful. Many scenes were hard to
Alan Barrett
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant!
Jay Kiros
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While many other listeners failed to understand what 'Audio Drama' meant, I jumped at the chance of getting a modern take on the classic audio drama...and boy wasn't it an awesome ride.

Sure, the StarTrek fanboy in me was giggling like a child at the ensemble cast. They pulled it off, and what's more, it's great to hear R.C. Bray holds his own against the established gravitas of Kate Mulgrew, Robert Picardo, and Zachary Quinto.

The narrative was fresh, well-paced, and had all the hallmarks of a
Sandy
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love this series and I was excited to listen to a full cast perform a dramatic reading. I was disappointed.

First, the mixer should be fired. Some of the voices were echo-y, distant when the story didn't call for them to be distant. Sometimes the music was so loud and I couldn't hear the words. Granted, I listen mostly in the car, on my long commute, and the book is competing with road noise.

I didn't like the gravely, guttural Kristang voices. Sure it was good dramatic effect but it was PAINF
Matthew
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy, scifi
This was the best audio performance I've heard all year. I was not familiar with the expeditionary force series, but that didn't matter. I followed the story perfectly fine. This is hysterical. R.C. Bray as Skippy is worth the price of an Audible credit alone. There are also strong performances from Kate Mulgrew, Zachary Quinto and several other folks. Easter eggs to classic sci-fi abound. High adventure blends with bust a gut zaniness to make for one very entertaining audio performance. How do ...more
Kamal Syed
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've listened to all of the previous Expeditionary Force books on audio (Audible.com), and I find the narrator hugely entertaining. His voices have been quite distinct, and after reading some of the other reviews, I was a bit concerned that this one might not be at the same level of quality, but I'm glad I was wrong. The full voice cast adds some great variety and amps up the entertainment value even more.

RC Bray still plays the voices of Joe and Skippy, but we now get Kate Mulgrew as Nagatha an
Josh Levine
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying I wasn't sure what to anticipate for this series given that I am used to R.C. Bray narrating each entry in its entirety.

For the most part, I wasn't disappointed. I do feel some of the music was a bit much and the finger-snapping drove me up a wall (I know it was intentional), but this was executed quite well overall. This is only the third full-cast production I have listened to and I quite enjoyed it. I loved the shift in tone for each of the characters to reflect a more
John
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, owned
Early on, I was very afraid I'd have to give this a lower review. I'm not the biggest fan of large casts, and this one is large. What really didn't go over well for me was having background audio (bomb blasts, alerts, et al) that were significantly louder than the narration. I appreciate the dramatic impact of all that "noise," but not to the point of losing whole sections of the story itself. That said, the audio levels got better, in my opinion, towards the end. The story, that was a big thumb ...more
Mike
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
I know Craig Alanson has mixed feelings on how this came out. He's talked about it a bit. The plot in this one was definitely a B story, but I knew that going in so I was fine with it. And I'm not opposed to more produced & elaborate audio books & podcasts that have multiple voice actors / narrators, sound effects, music, etc, but the music in this thing was just over-the-top, mind-boggling, head-scratchingly bizarre at times. I mean, for the first half of this thing they were legit play ...more
Scott Rose
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military-scifi
This was an interesting change from the conventional audiobook format. Initially I was a little offput by the full cast but after a little ways in it seemed normal and now I'll wonder if Nagatha will ever sound right if not voiced by Kate Mulgrew. Time will tell.

I know some will hate this iteration of Expeditionary Force but give it a chance. It is a good story and the full production values give it an aspect we, as audiobook listeners of the series, don't normally get.

I heartily recommend this
John Wojda
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I love the series, but this seemed to be a low point for me. I found it really hard to follow, one group of characters would be talking then all of a sudden it’s the lizards. The special effects were often distracting and drowned out the people talking. Also, especially in the beginning, the kristang didn’t fit what i thought they would sound like, sounding way too human and whiney.

Things got better later on, but definitely my least favorite in the series. I felt like the whole thing was geared
Geoff Taylor
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This drama special is a direct continuation of book 7. I personally prefer the regular books with just RC Bray narrating (as he is amazing) but Zachary Quinto’s narration was a highlight and the rest of the cast were also good. 3* as I am just not a fan of audio dramas with sound effects and I prefer one, maximum two, narrators. This book is essential listening as it will lead directly into the next book. Plus I should add that RC Bray is narrating more than anyone else which is great for any of ...more
Patkós Csaba
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
OK. So. This was AWESOME! Next should be a movie. This was almost like watching a movie.

PRO: Great music. Great acting. Very enjoyable.

Not so good: Sometimes music/effects were to laud and hearing the characters speak was difficult. Fortunately this was the case only at the beginning and the end of the book. So, 90% it was good ... heck, it was great.

Another note. The story is simpler and shorter compared to the written books. But it is funny like hell!
Kelps Sousa Alux
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
fun story and excellent performances by all, but the sound effects could've been less distracting and better edited to not interfere with the reading. it was a little difficult at times to understand what was being said or even what was happening. some effects are not useful at all without visuals. this is an audiobook, not a movie.
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the story and the voice talents of the actors. The audio effects sometimes overshadowed the dialogue, especially in the beginning. The story resolved a couple plot points I cared about, which I was happy to see, and I feel nicely set up for Armageddon, which is supposed to release in just a few days. Love Joe and Skippy and the Merry Band of Pirates.
Skyla Forster
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a good idea, but I didnt like that it was from Skippys point of view. I also had a problem with the sound mixing as the sound effects where to loud. It would also have been better if it was a little more serious at the start, it made it hard to get into because it focused so much on the comedy skit style.

Jinie Shirey
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ok this was a bit of an adjustment but when it ended, I didn’t want it to.... because you know.. I love Skippy and Joe ❤. Biggest complaints? Too short 😬. And idk it was a little corny and the AI for the Kristang or however you spell that was super annoying and I kept thinking... die die die 🤯. But again, there is something wrong with you if you don’t love the beer can 🍺 ...more
Nick Ertz
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Well, it's the same old crew off on an adventure right here at home. The story is fine, but I don't believe the dramatization adds anything to the story. The sound effects are barely distinguishable from background noise. You can tell who's talking most of the time, but occasionally the sound drowns everything out. Still waiting on the next adventure.
Katherine Dillon
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the story, and I would obviously never disparage a Skippy opera.. however I had a hard time hearing the story over the music and sound effects. The music just needed to be a bit lower during dialogue and narration, it wouldn’t even need to be gone completely!
Michael
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun but a little too campy for me. Love all the wit Craig puts into his books but this seemed like something that was just done for fun and came off wrong. Will still listen to all the remainder of the books as I love the series but I wanted to like this one more than I actually did.
Wes Jones
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought the story and plot were great, however listening to it as an audio drama was... different. I didn't particularly like the background noises, added sounds, and so many voices. I guess I'm just used to R.C. Bray nailing everybody's voice.
Stephen
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my first "audio drama". I prefer the normal audio books, and a few parts were a bit hard to follow, but overall I really enjoyed this story as a way to bridge the time until the next book comes out.
Aro
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
nice idea, but i prefer the classical audiobook format
soundeffects are o.k. but dramatic background music is too much for me
p.s. please note, that many folks hears that in car - and the background noise and - music drowns out the voices of the actors
Cass Michael
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A feel good filler!
This is less of a audio book and more of a movie in your mind.
D.G. Barnes
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An entertaining audio play. It was great to hear voices of Star Trek alumni and of course that of Skippy the Magnificent!
Mark
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
Alex Caudill
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
The story was entertaining. However, the "audio drama" was over produced and distracting most of the time. Would have been 5 stars if RC Bray had simply done all the voices and no sound fx.

Expeditionary Force (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Columbus Day (Expeditionary Force, #1)
  • SpecOps (Expeditionary Force, #2)
  • Paradise (Expeditionary Force, #3)
  • Trouble on Paradise (Expeditionary Force, #3.5)
  • Black Ops (Expeditionary Force, #4)
  • Zero Hour (Expeditionary Force, #5)
  • Mavericks (Expeditionary Force, #6)
  • Renegades (Expeditionary Force, #7)
  • Armageddon (Expeditionary Force, #8)
  • Valkyrie (Expeditionary Force, #9)