Jump to ratings and reviews

Bennett Sisters Series #9

A Bolt from the Blue

More international intrigue, murder, and romance for the Bennett Sisters overseas in the newest entry to the bestselling women's fiction and suspense series.

The next to youngest Bennett Sister, Francie Bennett (Blame it on Paris) is a hard-charging attorney whose boyfriend Dylan Hardy invites her to join him in Paris to help with a client. When Axelle Fourcier left Paris behind after the student riots of 1968, she vowed never to go back. She made a life for herself in America as a professor. But now a beloved aunt, age 104, has died and left her an inheritance to be shared with a cousin she never met.

A fabulous Belle Epoque apartment in Paris filled with pop art from the '50s and '60s is just the start of Axelle's discoveries in Paris. Wrangling with her slick cousin for the proceeds is distasteful but oh so French. Then the apartment is broken into, a friend is murdered, and Axelle's fears that the French state is once again conspiring against her seem very plausible.

Francie tries to deal with her cranky client, her own new relationship, and her boyfriend's nine-year-old daughter, as the estate problems spin out of control. Intrigue, romance, Paris and the Dordogne, and a soupçon of murder, wrapped in the legal and art world of France bring more than a few 'Bolts from the Blue' to the Bennett Sisters.

274 pages, Kindle Edition

Published August 1, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Lise McClendon

58 books183 followers
Lise McClendon is a fiction writer living in the Rocky Mountains of Montana. She has been a film reviewer, a film maker, a journalism professor, and a PR flack. Since her first novel, The Bluejay Shaman, in 1994, she has served on the national board of Mystery Writers of America and the International Association of Crime Writers/North America, as well as on faculty of the Jackson Hole Writers Conference where each year she critiques, speaks, and learns from writers new and old.

Check out the Lise McClendon Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/LiseMcClendon

Lise McClendon also writes as Rory Tate in the 2011 thriller, JUMP CUT. Her new novel by Rory Tate is PLAN X, available now. Read her latest novel, Château des Corbeaux, 17th in the Bennett Sisters mystery series that began with Blackbird Fly.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 32 reviews
4,267 reviews25 followers
August 1, 2019
Francie and her Dylan are only beginning to sort out things between them. She is working as a Managing Partner for her firm now. Dylan has joint custody of his nine year old daughter with an ex wife, which has proven a bit tricky.

Francie is slated to do some freelance work for the Paris arm of the firm Dylan works for during their upcoming trip to Paris. Flying separately rather jointly as planned due to a case that came up for Dylan. Not simple.

The new client left France in the aftermath of the summer of 1969. For those too young to know it, that was a time of cultural revolution. Axelle refused to confirm to the demands of society and her parents and went off to Canada and the US after a love affair or several ended badly.

Axelle returns to the settlement of the estate of a great aunt who was a fixture in the salons, a patron of the arts, and eventually reached the age of 104 with her very large apartment stuffed with the flotsam of her past.

Some sneaky double dealing comes into play, more than once, ending lethally for an old friend. Francie trusting her instincts, and using her gumption sees a brighter end to the trip ahead.

Profile Image for Sue.
596 reviews18 followers
July 31, 2019
Francie Bennett is looking forward to spending the summer with her boyfriend Dylan in Paris. She dreams of sight-seeing and shopping with some time for romance, but that isn’t how things turn out. Dylan has gotten her a side job with his law firm to “babysit” one of their clients. Axelle Fourcier left Paris in 1968 after the student riots vowing never to come back. But now that her beloved aunt has passed and left her an inheritance (which she shares with a distant cousin), she must come back to Paris.

Francie tries her hardest to help cranky Axelle not get bamboozled by her cousin concerning the proceeds from the estate, but soon finds all of her plans spiraling out of control. Somehow Axelle gets accused of murdering an old friend, Dylan’s nine-year-old daughter is dropped in their laps, and Francie somehow finds herself wrapped in the underbelly side of the art world.

This delightful book in the Bennett Sisters series has the perfect touches of intrigue, romance, mystery, and hidden secrets all wrapped into a very well written storyline that readers will enjoy.

Profile Image for Lise.
Author 58 books183 followers
Read
August 9, 2019
The ninth in the series! Hope you enjoy it. Please leave a review to tell others what the book is about and what you liked. Thanks!
Profile Image for Joan.
23 reviews
July 31, 2019
I fell in love with Merle Bennet In Lise McClendon very first Bennet Sister Books with Merle in Blackbird Fly and wondered how could this author surpass that book. Yet I believe this book with Francie, she did!
The author shows no matter your age, you can overcome your past issues and grow: Francie in her forties, her client in her late sixties or Francine’s boyfriends young daughter, All overcome their past fears and emerge from their cocoon face troubles head on of murder, mayhem with just a little help from Merle, Merles French boyfriend and an associated other cast of wonderful characters. Intermixed in the story is the amazing background of Paris and French countryside with a splash of French food and wine.

Profile Image for Pat Eroh.
2,580 reviews25 followers
August 4, 2019
I love the Bennett sisters. There are so many reasons why this is such a great family! This story, like the others, grabbed me from the start and did not let go. So much intense action and so well-written, I felt a part of the story. Hoping these sisters have many more adventures.

256 reviews1 follower
August 5, 2019
Bennett Sisters

Another enjoyable Bennett Sisters mystery. I have really enjoyed this series of mysteries. It seems the relationships are as important as the mystery in these books with well developed characters that are so likable. Picking up the next book is like catching up with old friends. I don’t think they need to be read in order, but I am sure it makes them more fun.
775 reviews3 followers
4.5 Stars!
Having read all the Bennett Sister stories, I could not resist this one. I love the main characters as family and am always happy to meet the new secondary characters. The setting of Paris for this story is wonderful. There is even a hint of history in this book. I find the dealings with all of the relationships to be very believable. Can’t wait tot spend more time with 5e Bennett Sisters in the future.

Profile Image for Bev.
2,736 reviews73 followers
August 1, 2019
I love the Bennett sisters stories. Each sister has their problems, yet they seem to help each other whenever they can. In this story, Francie has a 'cranky' client that thinks the French state is again conspiring against her. But what about her slick cousin who is also there for an inheritance from their deceased Aunt? Things get going for poor Francie when she also has to deal with her new boyfriend's nine-year-old daughter and the estate problems. I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book.
Profile Image for Heather W.
3,951 reviews25 followers
July 31, 2019
This is my first book by Lisa McClendon and I thoroughly enjoyed it and would love to read more of this series.

This is an excellent mystery that is set in Paris and contains intrigue, danger, mystery, murder, and more as Francie Bennett joins her boyfriend Dylan to help with a client. This book is very entertaining and the characters are well developed and charming, especially Dylan's daughter Phoebe.

Profile Image for Phthon.
1,515 reviews4 followers
July 31, 2019
Another tale about Francine. Phenomenally intense and full of situations that make you hold your breath. Axelle is a complete enigma that you can’t help loving! I truly love this series and look forward to many more!
Profile Image for Jo Trowbridge.
3 reviews
July 15, 2019
Again Bennett Sisters Francie & Merle have taken us on an adventure through France that was full of intriguing twists and lots of wine! My only regret was that now I have to wait for the next book for more.... love Phoebe and look forward to seeing more of her... little ninja moves! Lol

This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
59 reviews
September 14, 2019
Best book yet

I have loved all the Bennett Sisters Mysteries. Although they read well as standalone books, I recommend reading them all and in order as the characters and storyline progress nicely. In this story, Francie is once again in France with Merle, who now owns a house there. Francie's first experience there was terrifying but she got through it and over it. In this story Merle and Pascal were returning to France. Pascal had taken a week away from his police work to visit Merle in the United States. Francie had joined her boyfriend in Paris for some romantic get-away but nothing goes as planned. Francie ends up spending most of her time at her sisters house with Dylan's nine year old daughter in tow. Their adventures, misadventures, defenses and crime busting sets everyone on their ears and gets Francie's client out of French jail albeit slowly.
I definitely recommend this whole series to anyone. It's great reading.
2 reviews
January 10, 2020
I really enjoyed Bolt From the Blue, the latest book in the Bennett Sisters series by Lise McClendon. I have read other books in this series and enjoyed them all, and especially liked this latest book. This books contains all the elements I enjoy in a book: great characters, an exciting plot, suspense and romance. I like the fact that this book can be read as a stand-alone book but if you have already read other books in the series, you already know and love the main characters and are excited to read more about them. Lise is a great storyteller and makes you enjoy everything about France, including the delicious food. She has even published a French cookbook where she gives you many of the recipes for the meals mentioned in her books.

17 reviews
August 30, 2019
I love every book in the Bennett Sisters series. I enjoy the fact that we have the opportunity to learn about each of the sisters and how they interact with one another. The character development is interwoven in all of the books and the mysteries that accompany each of the story lines keep you on the edge of your seat. The only problem with this series is the fact that you cannot put them down and the insomnia that ensues from staying up all night to complete every book can be detrimental to one’s health! Cannot wait for the next installment in this series!
122 reviews
October 23, 2019
Blue and Lonely

Of all of the Bennett Sisters books, I believe that I liked this one best. The story was complex, as it was actually two stories in one. Both Axelle and Phoebe , one nearing the end of her life and the other just beginning hers. Each character grows and becomes stronger, and each of them struggle. It is a really good read. Enjoy!!!
Profile Image for Jan Miller.
729 reviews4 followers
November 14, 2019
A Bolt from the Blue by Lise McClendon is the first book by the author that I have listened to. I was pulled into this story with its vibrant imagery and loved the setting of France for most of the book. The art described was intriguing. Denice Stradling impressed me with her distinguishable voices and French accents. I really enjoyed listening to this book.
Profile Image for Fran.
23 reviews
June 21, 2020
Next book please ASAP

The Bennett sisters series is fantastic. I started reading the books because the female characters were older. They had live. The stories are well written descriptions of the areas make you feel as though you are in France. Sit back wine in hand and enjoy a perfect read.
7,272 reviews22 followers
July 31, 2020
Francis thinking of time with her new boyfriend Dylan in Paris. Instead Dylan has a client for her, an older woman who had never thought she would come back after the riots years ago. Inheritance with a cousin of a house, an a apartment filled with art. Along with Dylan daughter, who has time for the romance of Paris, instead there is mayhem and murder. Good series.
285 reviews2 followers
November 30, 2020
Good!

Like the writing style! Fast paced, easily understood, not repetitive and very entertaining. Part of a series. The mystery was solved....Kind of reminds me of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries- the crime is solved but stay tuned to see what happens between the regular cast. Instead of Australia it's in France. Modern day. I would watch it for sure.
Profile Image for Ruth Caves.
434 reviews2 followers
September 26, 2021
Making lists

A longed for romantic vacation turns into attempted murder. A child trying to cope with divorced parents that don't seem to have time enough for her. Definitely enough variety in the story to keep you interested while you wonder just what will happen next. I enjoyed it.
Profile Image for Susan.
5,308 reviews45 followers
November 5, 2021
Francie Bennett and Dylan Hardy are sent by their employers to France, one of their functions is to investigate the will of Mathilde Fourcier who recently died at the age of 104. Leaving her property to two relations. But soon a death occurs. Who is the guilty party and why.
An entertaining and well-written story
Profile Image for Cathy M Minard.
12 reviews
October 8, 2022
Old memories and redeemed self love

Another great Bennett Sister's story. This one involves a trip to France, of course, old heartache and bad memories a client needs to contend with, dragging Francis into a awful situation along with her boyfriends daughter! You know there will be fireworks!
Profile Image for Lissa Harkness.
92 reviews
August 16, 2019
Getting to know Francie better

Great read love dynamics and scenes that are painted throughout each chapter. I am always so excited for the next book in the series to come out.
Profile Image for Suki Jantzen.
125 reviews1 follower
September 11, 2019
Great fun!

You'll laugh, and will keep reading right through to the end. Very fine story with excellent rhythm! I highly recommend it.
Profile Image for E.
1,488 reviews4 followers
September 23, 2019
I love the Bennett Sisters Mysteries. Great characters, fun location (France--Paris and the Dordogne), and fun mysteries. They only seem to be available on Kindle.
Profile Image for Gabrialle Martin.
77 reviews1 follower
March 23, 2020
Paris

This series is set in and around Paris and Aquitaine. Lots of information and facts, very interesting. The plots are good, original and a surprise ending. Great reads.
Profile Image for Sandra Olson.
Author 20 books28 followers
August 19, 2020
Great

As usual the Bennett sisters are involved in a wonderfully convoluted mystery. I enjoyed the characters, plot and outcome. Great writing.
87 reviews
October 5, 2020
An easy read. The protagonist goes to France with her boyfriend on a working vacation. Some important art works disappear. It was okay.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 32 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.