Start by marking “The Traitor of Treasure Island” as Want to Read:
The Traitor of Treasure Island

The Traitor of Treasure Island

Buried for nearly three hundred years and now brought triumphantly to light by Dr Livesey, this is, at last, the true story of what happened on the fateful Treasure Island…

The truth about Captain Flint and his fabled death.

The truth about Long John Silver and his coveted wife.

And the truth about Jim Hawkins, that double-dealing turncoat of the first order: the traitor of
Published August 19th 2019 by Endeavour Quill

Start your review of The Traitor of Treasure Island
Peter
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This book revives the spirit of 'Treasure Island'. If you ever read the original you definitely should have a look into this novel. It kind of re-tells the known history with many background information not known so far. Besides Captain Flint is alive (so we finally meet the most notorious pirate)! You'll learn who's the real traitor of Treasure Island (makes you think about your reading experience back then with the original and sounds very plausible). The characters are excellently described ...more
Martin
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pirates, buried treasure, secret maps, sailing ships, smugglers, and adventure on the high seas make for an exciting tale that rivals the original. Discover what really happened.

Jim Hawkins is unmasked by his false facts in the true story of "Treasure Island".
‘The boy Jim Hawkins of Treasure Island, has grown to become the notorious Sir James “Slippery Jim” Hawkins, perpetual member of parliament for Trelawney West, who — following his recent trial — is to be transported to Australia for crimes
Cathy
Although John Drake’s reimagining of Robert Louis Stevenson’s much-loved classic can be enjoyed by those who’ve never readTreasure Island, readers who have will be best placed to recognise the author’s changes and flights of imagination. The latter include romantic attachments, illegitimate parentage and the resurrection of a notable figure.

Having said that, many of the best known characters from the original book remain such as Jim Hawkins, Long John Silver, Squire Trelawny, Dr. Livesey, Blind
Jo
Aug 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
The writing is good, but I'm.just not interested in the story line. I think this is just a case of the book is not right for me. 1 star because I did not finish.
Lisa
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for an adventure story involving pirates and treasure, The Traitor of Treasure Island by John Drake, is that and more. A grand retelling of Stevenson’s Treasure Island that includes a fair portion of the original cast of characters. I found it to be a swash buckling good read!

At the opening of the story the reader is told of a seaman’s chest, that was purchased by the author. It contained the journals of Dr. Livesey, the ship’s physician aboard Hispaniola, the ship from the
Irwin
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This new book is the fourth in Drake’s “Flint and Silver” series. I recommend you read the other books first – not because you need to for the sake of clarity – they’re just great books you shouldn’t miss. Anyone familiar with the story of Treasure Island knows enough to read and enjoy this book by itself.

Almost every character that appears in Stevenson’s original story can be found within these pages. There are the pirates (Billy Bones, Israel Hands, Blind Pew, Flint, and Long John Silver), the
Yvonne
John Drake's new release is a retelling of Robert Louis Stevenson's popular children's classic, Treasure Island. Naturally, as it is aimed at older readers, Drake's is a more gritty version of what happened in the search for Captain Flint's treasure.

Long John Silver and his parrot, Squire Trelawney, Captain Smollett, Dr. Livesey and, of course, Jim Hawkins, all reappear, as do many of the minor characters. One character, briefly mentioned in the original who plays a greater role this time
D.Hartman
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pigeonhole
What if treasure island was told from an adult perspective? What if the young Jim in the original fibbled with the retelling of some of the events that took place? His role? You'll get this book.

Written in the same style as the original Treasure Island, it is easy to read the two books next to each other and feel as if they are the same story written from different perspectives. Me saying this is not doing the book justice though, as some elements are so drastically changed, that the story seems
D Barnsley
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am already a fan of John Drake's writing so I started optimistic and delighted to sasy I really, seriously liked it, and liked all the characters especially Dr Livesey and the rotten little Jim! Loved the bit where Selena shoved him down a hatch. Served him right. I never read Treasure Island, only saw the film with Charlton Heston, so I suppose I should go back and read the original. But this one's good enough for me by a long way. Real good adventure. Pirates, ships, desert island, the lot! ...more
Isaiah
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To see a full review check it out here.

An intense pirate adventure that despite me not liking adventure stories was able to hold my attention. There are fights, amputations, and quite a bit of drinking. What more could you want?
Star
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my usual genre but I surprised myself for liking it. I did not read the original Treasure Island so all of the characters are new to me. What's there not to like in a book about pirates, parrot, cutlasses, secret map, buried treasure and treachery. Overall a fun book of a great treasure hunting adventure.
Phil Altimas
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
i didn't know if a classic such as treasure island could be reworked but this is a great book
it turns the tide on some of the books favourites
its well written, we all know the story so i wont bore you with that
but try its its great
Gail Wylde
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pigeonhole
I had to give this book 5* as I thought the original warranted 4* and I enjoyed this one more. If you liked Treasure Island then you MUST read this.

Thanks to Pigeonhole and John Drake for the chance to read this.
Sue Foster
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Treasure ISland with a twist

Treasure Island with A twist. I wasn't sure to start with. But once I got into it I really enjoyed the authors take on the characters. I would totally recommend it.
Haydn Pope
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Avast my hearties

A really enjoyable novel, full of adventure in the quest for hidden treasure! One thing, I never realised that Jim (who I though was a cabin boy) was looked upon so badly. He really was a creep!
Gail Vesely
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this book! Very exciting! I especially loved the wrap up at the end of the story. Very satisfying.
Pamela Burger gazzard
I loved this book. Not my normal genre but a very interesting read that takes your imagination on a journey with very real characters!
Jim Dunn
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ingenious .... I always thought that Jim Hawkins was too good to be true
Richard J. Farnsworth
Nothing special

It was an interesting ploy to rewrite the Treasure Island classic. But the changes to the characters personalities were not as satisfying reading as the original.
Chaplain Stanley Chapin
Treasure island revisited

As a young lad n the 1930s and 40s, I was very familiar with various stories of Treasure Island. This is a completely new adaption, and very good.
Alisdair Milne
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Liked it. Friend gave me copy.
Roger
Oct 15, 2019 marked it as to-read
I am looking forward to reading this book!

Thank you Goodreads for this opportunity to read something in a new genre! I will post a proper review when I have completed this book.
Tony Bennett
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A rollicking good adventure read! As entertaining as the original Treasure Island.
Pamela Burger gazzard
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is not my normal genre but I am glad I read it.
Lesley Edwards
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I must be honest. I haven't read it yet, but I've read all his other Treasure Island books and I can't wait for this one. Will put up a proper review once I've read it. Come on Long John and Flint!
Lisa
Goodreads Librari...: Blurb change 2 10 Jul 19, 2019 01:06AM
Goodreads Librari...: Blurb typo 4 25 Jul 16, 2019 12:55AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add book cover 5 26 Jun 25, 2019 08:14AM

• Vendetta: The Dorset Boy Book 6
  • The Cursed Fortress (Carlisle & Holbrooke Naval Adventures #5)
  • The Tempest: The Dorset Boy Book 5
  • Warship Poseidon (The Adventures of Jonathan Moore #1)
  • The Bastille Spy (Revolution Spy #1)
  • The God Jar
  • A Stormy Peace (Lieutenant Oliver Anson Book 4)
  • In Northern Seas (Alexander Clay Series Book 7)
  • The Museum of Broken Promises
  • Many Rivers to Cross (Inspector Banks, #26)
  • Bone China
  • The Mustering of the Hawks (Flying Ace Thrillers Book 1)
  • The Special Operations Flotilla: The Dorset Boy Book 2
  • Turn Left for Gibraltar (Harry Gilmour, #3)
  • A Love of Two Halves
  • The Sailing Master: Book One: Coming of Age
  • The Skipper's Dog Called Stalin (Harry Gilmour, #2)
  • Platform Seven
I am doubly delighted that my two latest books are now online. But first, I have heard comments from friends on two of my books (not quite the same two), and I have replied to these with blog posts: one concerns naval aviators in WW2, the other concerns the uncanny and inexplicable aboard ship, so perhaps you might like to have a look at the blogs?

Meanwhile, the first of the new books is 'Fletcher