Start by marking “The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters” as Want to Read:
The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters

The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters

The author of the Reese Witherspoon Book Club selection Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows follows her acclaimed America debut with this life-affirming, witty family drama—an Indian This Is Where I Leave You—about three Punjabi sisters embarking on a pilgrimage to their homeland to lay their mother to rest.

The British-born Punjabi Shergill sisters—Rajni, Jezmeen, and Shirni
Audible Audio, Unabridged
Published April 30th 2019 by HarperAudio

"I also want you to experience the familiararity of our ancestrial state. You girls are British, yes. But all the generations of our family before you lived in India. It is in your blood. The language, the food, the way things are. These things are not erased just because you grew up elsewhere."
Sisters: Rajni, Jezmeen, and Shirina have been tasked with completing a week pilgrimage to India on behalf of their mother who deeply wanted to go when she was alive. Their mother organized a list of
Berit☀️✨
beautifully told this story was bursting with culture, family dynamics, and love!

Balli Kuar Jaswal completely captivated me with this engaging story about these three dynamic sisters. I felt as though I was wisked away to India along with the Shergill Sisters. Jaswal’s writing is so descriptive, she made the characters and the setting pop off the pages. Seriously when I was done with this book I felt as though I knew these characters and had been on this pilgrimage with them. Some books you re
Nilufer Ozmekik
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maybe
Five amazing sisterhood of the traveling in saris stars ! Nameste! I found a real gem! A sweet, inspirational, heartwarming book !

I loved this kind of book no matter what’s your gender, nationality, religion, culture, race you have, it embraces you tightly and make you feel deeply for the characters! It doesn’t only serve to your mind, it does also feed your soul and empower your spirit.

Three sisters with different perspectives, life choices and characteristic qualities who barely stand each ot
PorshaJo
Gotta DNF this one. It's just boring. I'm a number of hours into it and it's just a lot of petty squabbling with the sisters. I just don't care to read anymore (or listen). I loved this authors last book, but this one isn't for me. And sticking to my rule....don't read books you have no interest in anymore.
Sahitya
After reading Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows and really enjoying it, I was so excited to receive the ARC for this one. This book turned out to be quite different from what I was expecting but it was nevertheless, a very interesting read.

Rajni is the eldest sister, a school principal who likes rules and everything to be in an orderly fashion. However, she was not always like this and things that happened in her past completely changed her attitude and now when things are again uncertain in her
Resh (The Book Satchel)
Loved it. Rating : 4.5 stars

I expected something along the lines of Erotic stories for Punjabi widows. But this was gold. It captures the not-so-close sisters who are on a pilgrimage to fulfill their mother's death bed wish.
The scenes of the British sisters adapting to the land of their parents had both hilarious and thoughtful moments. Old grudges and secrets surface and there are talks about sex, wife swapping Punjabi couples, young man-older woman trope, detective trailing of prospective brid
Lata
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story about three sisters and their fractious, discordant relationships, which are on full display during their trip to India after their mother's death.
Before dying, the sisters' mother insisted her daughters make a pilgrimage in India for her, planning out their itinerary. Each sister only very reluctantly agrees to this trip, partially because of their feelings towards each other, and partially because of how their own lives are progressing, or not.
Each woman has secrets she's a
Kate ☀️ Olson
(free review copy) Travel + sisters + some secrets to unravel = a captivating and heartwarming story! I loved Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows and enjoyed this one just as much.
Anna Luce
★★★✰✰ 3 stars

An absorbing start gives way to an increasingly frustrating reiteration of the same arguments which provided little character development.

“Grief came to her like a series of aftershocks—every time she thought she had moved on, something new reminded her of Mum.”

The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters started well enough. We are introduced to three sisters who are leading different lives and are not particularly close to one another. There is the serious older sister Rajni (
Charlie
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not exactly the kind of novel I usually read. So, for what it's worth I had to do a fast read on this one. Fortunately, the story was well written and fairly easy to comprehend.
I loaned the book out to a female and she felt the same way. So, a rating of a 4 is justified.
I did win this book thru Goodreads.com and thankful for that.
Rebecca
While on her deathbed, Sita asks her three daughters, Rajni, Jezmeen, and Shirina, to make a pilgrimage to India together in order to honor her memory and scatter her ashes.

"There's no greater show of love and faith than traveling a long distance for somebody."

The sisters are busy with their own lives and not close, either spiritually or geographically, but still agree to make the trip together. While there, however, their agendas and interests differ, and they disagree about how closely they s
Elizabeth A
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, audio
Book blurb: The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters is a female take on the Indian travel narrative. "I was curious about how different the trip would be if it were undertaken by women, who are vulnerable to different dangers in a male-dominated society," Balli Kaur Jaswal writes. "I also wanted to explore the tensions between tradition and modernity in immigrant communities, and particularly how those tensions play out among women like these sisters, who are the first generation to be r ...more
eyes.2c
Luminous!

A journey undertaken by the British Punjabi sisters Rajni, Jezmeen, and Shirnia to scatter their mothers ashes in India becomes a pilgrimage towards love, understanding and acceptance, and a reworking of the bond that threads sisters together.
Three Sikh sisters reunite to meet their mother last request and in doing so uncover so much more.
A stunning story of family, that also uncovers practices and prevalent attitudes towards women, touching on inheritance, the bias against female babie
Jason Lundberg
I’m naturally biased towards liking this novel — Balli is a good friend, and I’m the editor of her Singaporean titles — but even so, I *loved* it. The relationship between these three sisters felt so real, and their voyage through India as part of their mother’s deathbed request was so evocative of the beautiful chaos of that country that it was like I was there with them. Balli just keeps getting better and better with each book. Wonderful.
Sabreena - Books and Prosecco
The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters by Balli Kaur Jaswal

Stars: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Disclaimer: The amazing humans at HarperCollins Canada were kind enough to send me an arc of The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions below are my own.

“There’s no greater show of love and faith than traveling a long distance for somebody.”

I adored this book so much! It was so clearly written for Indian women, and the cultural details that Jaswal added in, made my little brown butt so happy!

This story starts with hea
Blodeuedd Finland
Always when I read something about travel in India it is always so exotic, filled with foods and no dangers at all. But this other shows the side that I always read about in the news. The latest story I read about this child was so horrifying that I wanted to cry.

The sisters are told to dress modestly, not to walk alone and still they all fear at times. Men in groups, leering, brushing up against them. It is that dark side of India, and they do come across a women's movement too. They try to fig
MRIDULA
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
|4.5 stars|

Sometimes we come across a book that feels like a journey in itself. This is one such story. By the end of the book, the Shergill sisters felt like people I have always known. They felt real and all the 'adventures' they were a part of, I found myself alongside them.
Rajni, Jezmeen and Shirina, the three sisters who are poles apart by nature and have different kinds of crisis to deal with, are brought together by their mother. Their mother, while lying on her deathbed had one wish- th
Gigi H
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-best-reads
Balli Kaur Jaswal is such a talented storyteller and has managed to write yet another captivating and memorable story. One that is deeply rooted in traditions, culture and sisterhood.

If you enjoyed Erotic Stories For Punjabi Widows, you will definitely enjoy this one and I highly recommend adding it to your TBR. 🙂
Beth
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I really loved the author's last book, Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows, and was really looking forward to this one. This is a family drama, with comedic moments throughout, tackling some pretty heavy topics. While I did enjoy, my biggest gripe is that I feel the title is a bit misleading. The mention of adventure when compared to books with a similar title suggests, to me, comedic mishaps and quirky characters. In reality, this was a lot darker. I've always hated reviews that state someone did ...more
Athena
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

When I heard that Balli Kaur Jaswal was coming out with a new book, I almost lost my mind. Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows quickly became one of my favorite books of all time. I recommend it to almost everybody and I'm 90% certain that bonding over that book with an interviewer is what got me my new job. I digress. Hopes were high for her new book and I was NOT disappointed.

When Sita Shergill dies, her three daughters are given a letter, detailing a pilgrimage they must take through Ind
Linda Smith
I found the sisters to be annoying and the plot dragging.
Rebecca
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, edelweiss
Thanks to the publisher, via Edelweiss, for an advance e-galley for honest review.

As a person with three sisters of my own, I can attest to the complicated nature of these relationships. You're different people who- like the three women in the book- have different experiences of the same family. You share some of the same DNA but you might not share secrets. And these women have secrets. Some are bigger and more life-changing than others, but all of them are travelling with the Shergill sisters.
Kate
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For more of my book content check out instagram.com/bookalong

This is the story of three sisters who's mothers dying wish is for them to return journey to India to scatter her ashes. The sisters are not close and are quite different people. It's their mothers hope that this trip will bring them together. They all have chaos going on in their lives before they embark on their adventure and each have different expectations of how it should go.

I thought this was a cute and lighter read. I found
Barb Martin
The throbbing vegetables that played such an unforgettable role in Balli Kaur Jaswal's "Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows" don't have an encore in her second novel. Instead, we get a moving story about three estranged sisters fulfilling their mother's dying wish by traveling to India for a spiritual awakening and to scatter her ashes.

Things don't go as planned. Each of the sisters has a secret. Each carries the emotional baggage of growing up with a harried and superstitious mother after the sud
Jessica

There were dramatic, heart-in-your-throat moments at the end of this book, but for the majority of it I was just thinking "why?" Why am I reading about these people? A pilgrimage to India is a story, yes, but it was mostly about character development and the characters didn't really develop. I wasn't connected to any of them.

It did suffer from high expectations because I loved the characters in Jaswal's previous book so much I preordered this one. Most of them were warm and inviting an
Toni
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read "Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows" and quite enjoyed the author and thus found her other novel. I enjoyed this tale even more. I found it interesting to learn about the Sikh population in London and India of which I knew very little. However, it is also a universal tale of sisters: their love, their estrangements. Each of the sisters' held my interest, but it was the interactions between the sisters that kept me reading. I highly recommend
Debbie
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a well written story about following a mother’s dying wish. She leaves a letter for them to follow on a pilgrimage to India to find their roots and rediscover themselves. The sisters are estranged and at odds with themselves and each other. This is a book about discovery and finding out how to live with yourself and the decisions you make. The author provides a vivid picture of India as she leads us along the journey with the sisters. #netgalley #theunlikelyadventuresoftheshergillsister ...more
Karen Ng
I was a big fan of the author's debut , Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswalreleased in 2017, way before it became popular due to Reese's Book Club. Unfortunately for most debuts, the author usually becomes a " one-book wonder" because they only have one story. I'm happy that it's not the case for this author. Similar demographics of Indian immigrant characters, but a totally refreshing new story, equally engrossing and enjoyable. Ms. Jaswal has just become my new favorite author of stories with Indian American characters. Keep w ...more
May 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It might be a three star book, but I can’t tell because I’m disappointed that it wasn’t nearly as good as “Erotic stories for Punjabi Widows”, which I recommended to all my friends. Plus, I thought the happy endings for everyone were unbelievable. Read “A People’s History of Heaven” instead.
Ellen
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story of three sisters, Rajni, Jezmeen and Shirina, making a pilgrimage outlined in detail by their dying mother as her last wish. The sisters have had their ups and downs, as all sisters do, but their trip to India shows us as much about their relationship and problems as the male dominated society in India, and the impact on women in Indian culture. I look forward to more from this author, and easily give five stars to this book. Thanks to Edelweiss for the advanced copy.
Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows 1 9 Mar 29, 2018 10:08PM

• The Marriage Clock
  • Searching for Sylvie Lee
  • Flame Tree Road
  • Odysseus Abroad
  • Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors
  • The Key to Happily Ever After
  • The Parisian
  • A Suitable Girl (A Suitable Boy, #2)
  • The Dreamer
  • La Bastarda
  • David Mogo, Godhunter
  • Take One Candle Light a Room
  • The B.T.C. Old-Fashioned Grocery Cookbook: Recipes and Stories from a Southern Revival
  • All Dressed in White (The Brides of Belgravia, #2)
  • John & George: The Dog Who Saved My Life
  • Gambling on a Scoundrel
  • In Spite of Lions
  • Mrs Ali's Road to Happiness
Balli Kaur Jaswal's latest novel is The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters (Harper Collins/William Morrow). Her previous novels include Inheritance, which won the Sydney Morning Herald’s Best Young Australian Novelist Award, and Sugarbread, a finalist for the Epigram Books Fiction Prize and the Singapore Literature Prize. Her third novel Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows was translated in ...more
“Please enjoy your health while you have it. Because once your body betrays you, no comfort in the world will make up for your loss.” 1 likes