Start by marking “The Tasty Treat: The Nocturnals (Grow & Read Early Reader, Level 1)” as Want to Read:
The Tasty Treat: The Nocturnals (Grow & Read Early Reader, Level 1)

The Tasty Treat: The Nocturnals (Grow & Read Early Reader, Level 1)

“The Nocturnals does not disappoint.” —Booklist
“A good series for children who love reading, science, and want to learn more on their own.”—School Library Journal

In this Nocturnals Level 1 Early Reader, The Tasty Treat, Dawn can’t find her friends! Where is Tobin, her scaly pangolin friend? And Bismark, the silly sugar glider? One by one, Dawn’s friends appear, as does a j

Published October 1st 2019 by Fabled Films Press

To ask other readers questions about The Tasty Treat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tasty Treat

Start your review of The Tasty Treat: The Nocturnals (Grow & Read Early Reader, Level 1)
Samantha Fink
Received a free copy in a giveaway!

This is such a sweet story for kids. It teaches an important lesson on sharing and it also helps kids learn about different animals. I love the added facts at the end of the book. This will be very helpful for kids to learn about the animals shown in this books. It also teaches about what a nocturnal animal is.

Not only is this book educational, but it's fun. I loved the illustrations in this book. They were so cute and any child will fall in love with them. Ov
Bookish Devil
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
'The Tasty Treat' is a simple and neat story about Dawn, a red fox who goes in search for her friends during the night in the middle of the woods. The author lays down the core theme of the story in an explicit manner, thus making it easier for a child to understand and take in the values. Brief information/facts about the nocturnal animals are given in the final few pages of the book. The illustrations were rich, vibrant, and colorful. Had the book been packed with a tad bit extra content, I wo ...more
Katrina
Jul 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
An eclectic group of friends who geographically would live nowhere near each other and the only thing they have in common is being nocturnal? It just doesn’t work for me.
Tzipora
This is a cute and unique little early reader book from indie publisher Fabled Films Press. It’s part of an 8 book “Grow & Read” series about The Nocturnals that comes in three graduated levels of difficulty to help early readers progress.

I really liked the art in this book and that while the story is simple, it introduces kids to some unique vocabulary and animal knowledge. I fully admit I wasn’t so sure what a Pangolin was and I knew vaguely that Pomelos, the animals favorite snack, were a mem
Betty
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Nocturnals books are part of the Grow & Read Early Reader Program published by Fabled Films Press. “The Tasty Treat” focuses on the themes of friendship, sharing, and problem solving.

Dawn the fox wakes up one night (remember that they are nocturnal animals) and goes looking for her friends Tobin the pangolin and Bismark the sugar glider. Upon finding Tobin they are pleasantly surprised when Bismark drops a pomelo from a tree. The three friends have a tasty treat to share.

Each book in the s
Carrie Garza
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-book
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. My daughter read this book with my 5 year old granddaughter several times. My granddaughter is really smart ( I might be a little biased), but she loves this book. She really likes the informational section at the back that talks about the characters in the book -a red fox, a pangolin and a sugar glider.

It is listed as a level 1, which is for beginning readers. It is super simple, even though some of the words/names are a little big. They make good sight
Michelle Rodriguez
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great read from the Nocturnals! I have used their Grow & Read Level 2 books in my classroom before, and this Early Reader Level 1 looks like a great introduction book for the beginning of the school year. I’m always on the lookout for books that promote sharing so this is an especially welcome addition.
Jennifer Lee
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My daughter is just starting to read on her own, and this book was great for her! She was able to work her way through the words while learning new ones. When she stumbled on pangolin, we were able to look at the glossary in the back to learn more about what a pangolin was. There were also plenty of cute pictures to help her understand what she was reading.
CR
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one I think would be great for early readers. I could read all the words and follow the story. I loved the artwork and the story was cute! I really think the extra stuff in the book would appeal to kids of all ages. Even I had fun with it! This would be a must read for all first time readers!
Carol
I received a free copy from a Goodreads giveaway.

This was a cute beginning reader, with cute and simple illustrations. It introduced some new vocabulary to early readers, but not words they will likely encounter often. It was nothing special or overly exciting. I am not sure it would entertain or intrigue too many kids.
Becky
Jul 20, 2020 rated it liked it
This book teaches about three nocturnal animals and a fruit. Very informative, thanks to fact pages at end of the book. Cute story about three friends sharing a snack. Not much story in the book itself, so probably best for preschoolers.
I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book from Hidden Gems.
Sharon Pago
Feb 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Susan Burlew
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway
This one's a keeper for my future grandkids! The illustrations are beautiful. The story is simple but not overly cutesy. The animals a real and a bit is told about them after the story. Just what I would look for, highly recommend!!! ...more
Mary Goutermont
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is an excellent book for beginning readers. I love the illustrations and the fact that it is a bit science oriented as well as an early reader. Your little reader will love this book. (Also those who are too little to read yet...they will love the illustrations!) Highly recommended!
Julie
Aug 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
*Digital copy provided by Edelweiss Plus*
This low-level reader had cute animals and a few facts to boot. The story left some to be desired, as the reader is introduced the characters and that is about it. But the variety of animals and foods could definitely draw the attention of a young reader.
John
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dawn is legit, Tobin is cool, and Bismark is favorite character.
M.
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-reads
It was a good read.
Dawn Graziano
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My grandkids love this series.
Kelley Blair
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute little stories for early readers.
Jessica
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable book my daughter loved it thank you
Dawn Mc bee pillette
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cute story! I mean there is a Fox named Dawn:) not many books with my name in them, so I especially enjoyed! Perfect for beginner readers!
RBPL Staff
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Tasty Treat is a great introduction book to the friends Dawn, Tobin, and Bismark. Children will learn three types of nocturnal animals, and meet the friends.
Gabrielle L
Jan 03, 2021 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars
Mallory M Gibson
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Love this series! Great for my Kindergarten age son and adds to his reason confidence. Cute characters and good lessons.
Leah
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fr-2020
I love the Nocturnals, they are a great little group of animals. The pictures are fun and detailed. The story is interesting and good for a read-along. And the little lessons are great.
Alexis Mansfield
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
My son loved this book and the adorable artwork. This book is a perfect book for the Halloween season .
Amy
LeeAnn
Oct 03, 2019
Sam Sig
Jun 11, 2019

• Wally Whale's Mighty Tail. An adventurous children's story to teach kids about emotional intelligence, attitude and that happiness is a choice (EQ Explorers Book Series)
  • Frankly in Love
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Stolen Away (Hearts of Montana, #3)
  • Keep Moving: Notes on Loss, Creativity, and Change
  • Ricky Ricotta Y El Poderoso Robot (Ricky Ricotta, #1)
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #4)
  • Let's Say Hi to Friends Who Fly!
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • Fancy Nancy: Poison Ivy Expert
  • Better Call Batman!
  • The Night the Lights Went Out
  • I Love You Daddy
  • Bed Hogs
  • Fly Guy and the Frankenfly (Fly Guy, #13)
  • Prince Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #16)
  • The Dinosaur Next Door
  • Hop On Pop

Tracey Hecht is a writer and entrepreneur who created The Nocturnals, the critically acclaimed middle grade and early reader series. The American Booksellers Association chose her first book, The Nocturnals: The Mysterious Abductions, as a Kids’ Indie Next List pick. In addition, her Grow & Read early reader book, The Chestnut Challenge, was given a Mom’s Choice Gold Award. With the New York Publi

News & Interviews