Start by marking “I Am Perfectly Designed” as Want to Read:
I Am Perfectly Designed

I Am Perfectly Designed

I Am Perfectly Designed is an exuberant celebration of loving who you are, exactly as you are, from Karamo Brown, the Culture Expert of Netflix's hit series Queer Eye. In this empowering ode to modern families, a boy and his father take a joyful walk through the city, discovering all the ways in which they are perfectly designed for each other.
Published November 5th 2019 by Henry Holt

To ask other readers questions about I Am Perfectly Designed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Perfectly Designed

Start your review of I Am Perfectly Designed
Hannah
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, beautifully illustrated children's book that is going to have a home in so many hearts regardless of whether or not it's an adage that has been done before.
Kyle
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book celebrating the wonderful bond of father and son. Smooth, delightful read aloud book.
Jamie
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5

This was really cute. Beautiful illustrations and a great message. I was expecting it to rhyme or something? I think the writing lacked just a little in timing.
June
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: LGBT and self-esteem requests
Recommended to June by: Goodreads
A African American father and son converse about their love for each other and their memories of each other.

A loving story of a father and son spending a day together. It is only on the flaps of the book cover that there is mention of Karamo Brown as star of Netflix's Queer Eye (front) and how he made history in 2004 as the first openly gay African American reality TV star (back).
Julie
There are too few books featuring dads and sons which are also diverse and inclusionary. This book celebrates how we are each perfectly designed the way we are. And... it showcases the bond between dads and sons.
Michelle
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very touching father-son book. It had very diverse background characters which was awesome to see!
Dannie Moore
Picked the book up based exclusively on the fact that it's Karamo. And was not even remotely disappointed. I can think of some parents who could use this story as a gift. Or really anyone.
Erika
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, wndb
I appreciate the inclusive art and the loving story! I wish they included some disabled characters in the art to hit home this sweet message a father had for his son.
Margaux
Did I know that Karamo had a picture books in the works??
No. I did not.

Just like every time we see him on Queer Eye, reading this book was like getting a warm hug from a friend.

The story is written in two perspectives: Jason, Karamo's son, is the primary voice. He reminisces and his father responds in bold print with heartwarming affirmations.

I loved the Easter egg of seeing The rest of the Fab 5 on the front and back pages of the book, in a crowd. I loved even more being able to read a
Barbara
This picture book joins the canon of others celebrating the uniqueness of all of us and the bond between a father and his child. The text reiterates the idea that everyone is special and that this child is "perfectly designed," positive affirmation for those who might try to spout negative messages toward others. Told as a conversation between father and son, the father's comments are in bold typeface while the child's comments are lighter. The two share happy moments such as dressing up for ...more
Peacejanz
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: completed
What a wonderful book about self-image and believing in oneself - co-written by Karamo Brown and his son, Jason Brown. When Jason was 9 years old, Karamo found out that he was the father of this child. Karamo gained full custody of Jason and also adopted Jason's half-brother. Together they have written a special book about loving oneself. They repeat, "I am perfectly designed" whether things are going well or bad. They repeat, "I am perfectly designed" when people are mean or sweet to them. This ...more
Veronica
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
This came into our office today and naturally we couldn't resist a look! The art is ADORABLE. I don't know that there's a ton of small children who are devoted fans of Queer Eye (I mean, I'm sure there are some... children love all kinds of things!) but I think that the book's message of parental love and acceptance is able to stand on its own just fine. FYI for those looking for LGBTQ+ children's books: I was expecting LBGTQ+ themes to pop up but I think the sum total was one picture of a gay ...more
Mandy
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Picture Book. Written by a father-son team, this is an ode to the father-son relationship. This book is written as a conversation between the father and son, as the father reminds the son he is "perfectly designed." They do everyday things-- stroll through the park, dress up for Halloween, picnic, go to the Farmer's Market, etc. The story is not about what happens, but who it happens with. The illustrations are gorgeous and show a diverse community around the family.
Sean
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is a great children’s book to let them know that they are wonderful & perfect just the way that they are. They are who they are, their bodies are just as they are, they have the abilities that they have and the people in their life as they should have them. Great for a child’s self confidence. They are perfectly designed. ...more
Krista
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A beautiful book told from the point-of-view of the son about how his father always tells him he's perfectly designed. I like that is was told from the son's POV and that he was in dialogue with his father.
Megan E
This is a perfect book for any classroom setting because it teaches students that no matter how they look they are perfect just the way they which is what all children need to know. At the end of the book it gives information about the author as well as a picture of his own family.
Anthony
The back and forth conversation between a lad and his dad as they walk the city streets, and discuss all the things they have in common, and how even though things may seem different at times, they are both perfectly designed.
Christy Broderick
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved the many messages in this book about being yourself and knowing that you’re enough. I remember watching Karamo on “Dancing with the Stars” and thought that name sounded familiar - I got this book today from the library and I love it!

Great book for young readers
Rebecca Anne
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
LOVE! It would be cool to have two male readers for the son and father's script in this book. I love the conversation that unfolds with the father always telling, showing, and reassuring his son of his intrinsic value. The self worth that is instilled in the son from the father is beautiful.
Kacey
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super cute, love the QE guys and thing this was an awesome book to read, someday I'd love to read it to my kids! I've also been following Anoosha Syed for a while so i was stoked she worked with Karamo to create this!
Nicole
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is another great gift for sons this season. I like that the book can be read by two people & that it is a great way to remind parents/guardians & children that their children are perfectly & wonderfully made.
Mary Kate
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully illustrated book with a great message! I thought it might veer into religious themes, but the only way it even remotely suggests creationism is by the use of the word “designed.”
Emily
Great message and depiction of a loving father-son relationship. The prose is a bit lackluster, imo. There's one page where the text refers to the son as being "perfectly designed" to run, jump, and climb, which seems insensitive to disabled readers. Beautifully illustrated!
Meredith Kaupp
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful in every way.
Sara Wecht
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
I love Karamo. I didn't love this book. I don't really like the style and I feel like there are better books out there with the same message.
Amanda
Dads and sons, a warm book of affirmation and love. Lovely illustrations.
Sara
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely DELIGHTFUL. The illustrations, the text, the message. So, so sweet.
Patricia McLaughlin
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Dialogue between a dad and his mini me as they walk through their diverse urban neighborhood.
Bethany
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved the way this was written.

A boy is talking to his dad through the whole book. Super cute and the pictures were beautiful, made the story even better ;)
Georgia
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So gorgeous. This made me laugh and cry

• Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment
  • Sulwe
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • The Proudest Blue
  • Please Don't Eat Me
  • Just in Case You Want to Fly
  • Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Birdsong
  • Saturday
  • Sofia Valdez, Future Prez (Questioneers Picture Book, #4)
  • Finding Kindness
  • Kiki & Jax: The Life-Changing Magic of Friendship
  • A Big Bed for Little Snow
  • Hair Love
  • Kevin the Unicorn: It's Not All Rainbows
  • The Serious Goose
  • Reading Beauty
Karamo Brown is an American television host, reality television personality, psychotherapist, and activist. Brown began his career in 2004 on the MTV reality show The Real World: Philadelphia. He currently stars as the culture expert in the Netflix series Queer Eye.