Start by marking “I Am Perfectly Designed” as Want to Read:
I Am Perfectly Designed

I Am Perfectly Designed

I Am Perfectly Designed is an exuberant celebration of loving who you are, exactly as you are, from Karamo Brown, the Culture Expert of Netflix's hit series Queer Eye. In this empowering ode to modern families, a boy and his father take a joyful walk through the city, discovering all the ways in which they are perfectly designed for each other. ...more
Published November 5th 2019 by Henry Holt

To ask other readers questions about I Am Perfectly Designed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Perfectly Designed

Start your review of I Am Perfectly Designed
Carrie
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family, lgbt
End made cry because I'm a sap. ...more
Caroline
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely wonderful book about being exactly who you are. Karamo and his son explore the city and reminisce on all the times Karamo has made his son feel "perfectly designed." The message is very sweet and one that every kid should hear. This was written like a conversation between father and son and I thought that made it feel very authentic. I love this book! ...more
Kyle
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book celebrating the wonderful bond of father and son. Smooth, delightful read aloud book.
Danni Green
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly adored this sweet book! It’s presented as a dialogue between a Black parent and child, going about their daily lives, remembering loving moments throughout their lives together, talking to each other about their relationship and their affection for one another. The illustrations are rich and vibrant, illuminating the love and tenderness the two characters share and the centrality they each hold in the other’s existence. Absolutely gorgeous.

(I definitely read this book in 2019 the mi
Jordan Pierre
Feb 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book displays the relationship a father builds with his young son. From Halloween celebrations to long walks in the park, this story is told from the eyes of a young man who has his inspirations & goals set on his shoulders with a little bit of help from a loving dad. This is a commonly communicated subject, that is the idea of loving yourself & that we are all different. Even though that may be the case, we need books like these to continuely remind us of that.
Jamie
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5

This was really cute. Beautiful illustrations and a great message. I was expecting it to rhyme or something? I think the writing lacked just a little in timing.
Teonna Taylor
My heart burst with pride, joy, and excitement reading this book. A Black father and son recount some of their favorite memories and moments as they walk throughout the city. This story begins with the son telling his father "When you first saw me, you said 'He is perfectly designed, from his head to his toes." They both, then, begin to retell their favorite father son moments from the son being a baby to the son's present age.

I am enamored by and appreciate this book because of the loving relat
Anna W.
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great read for any small child. “I am perfectly designed” is what the young narrator learns about himself from his father. Even if his head is kind of big, or he has angry or sad feelings, he is still perfectly designed.

The book shows many aspects of culture—there is a woman wearing a hijab, another wearing a “feminist” worded shirt, biracial couples, gay couples, etc.—in the background of many pages. (Visits to the park, street sidewalks, etc.)

I also love that the narrator seems to live alon
Aolund
This book is simultaneously so lovely, sweet, and beautifully illustrated AND a bit difficult for reading aloud! Because it is written in two voices, with the child's voice written in un-bolded font and the dad's voice in bolded font, it really presents a challenge for comprehension if you don't get the way the two voices are differentiated, though a skillful reader could do different voices to make sure the different speakers are clear to a child listener.

Themes: Love, Family, Be Yourself
Age r
Kaylee Mouser
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, grades-k-3
Karmaro and his son reminisce on old times. They remember the loving times they have shared and they bond over these memories. The father reminds his son that he is perfectly designed and wonderful no matter what he is feeling. You can see the happiness in these illustrations, they use vibrant colors and great expression. The book ends with the son saying they are “perfectly designed for each other”. It shows how strong the bond is between them and the significance they play in each other's life ...more
Shay Vande
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED the art style of the illustrations in this book. The colors are so vibrant, yet cozy. This is a sweet, commemorative piece by the author of his good memories and positive life lessons learned from his relationship with his father. The book is very wholesome and encouraging to readers to have self-love and represents a beautiful bond between parent and child.

This would be a fantastic read for father's day.
Julie
There are too few books featuring dads and sons which are also diverse and inclusionary. This book celebrates how we are each perfectly designed the way we are. And... it showcases the bond between dads and sons.
June
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: LGBT and self-esteem requests
Recommended to June by: Goodreads
A African American father and son converse about their love for each other and their memories of each other.

A loving story of a father and son spending a day together. It is only on the flaps of the book cover that there is mention of Karamo Brown as star of Netflix's Queer Eye (front) and how he made history in 2004 as the first openly gay African American reality TV star (back).
Dimity Powell
Jul 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
Undeniably a beautiful tribute to fathers and sons, I Am Perfectly Designed also celebrates individuality and the paths of self-discovery making it suitable to share in any family dynamic.

Read my full review at DIM'S re VIEWS: http://dimswritestuff.blogspot.com/p/...
Rebecca
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

5 stars
one thing that would’ve been nice to see in this book is disabled people or even parents, in the crowds of people in the background. I did like how the illustrator showed diverse families, couples, and friends throughout this magnificent book!
Nathalie
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
In this world where many of our precious babies will at some point encounter much negativity, this book by beloved Karamo Brown is a welcomed addition to helping our children navigate this era and discover or recover self worth and how much they are loved by their families.
Cindy
A love letter from a father to his son . . . a son perfectly designed to fill his father's life with love. The illustrations are so sweet.

Read for me by Karamo Brown in the NetFlix series Bookmarks: Celebrating Black Voices
Nate A
Dec 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: enjoyed, favorites
Can't wait to read this to my kids someday. The book as a whole -- illustrations and all -- come straight from the world I want to live in. The only way it could be improved would be with disability inclusion in the illustrations. ...more
Michelle
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very touching father-son book. It had very diverse background characters which was awesome to see!
KDV
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
3.5 - sweet story bolstered by great illustrations
Amber
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
Such a good message for little ones to read about.
Connie T.
Nov 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a positive message!
Baige
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love that illustrations of the Fab 5 made the inside cover 😍
Dannie Moore
Picked the book up based exclusively on the fact that it's Karamo. And was not even remotely disappointed. I can think of some parents who could use this story as a gift. Or really anyone. ...more
Sharon
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A joyful ode to being happy with yourself.
Marianne
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

Would be four if my kneejerk views re: evolution didn't get in the way of an adorable, affectionate story. Not enough to not enjoy it! Just a twitchy little but we're nooooooootttttttttttt in the back of my head :D. One of those it's not you, it's me, things, charming lil book.
Dax
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, wndb
I appreciate the inclusive art and the loving story! I wish they included some disabled characters in the art to hit home this sweet message a father had for his son.
Pickle wagon Mcgee
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Meghan Wilson
Wow! This book gets me every time I read it. I initially read it back in February with my eldest daughter, Emma, but I re-read it to complete our reviews. There are some books that I simply cannot make it through without becoming emotional and tearing up - this is definitely one of them. This book is modeled after the author, Karamo Brown, and his son's, Jason, relationship. Karamo and Jason take a walk around the city and describe how they were made perfect for each other, through reminiscing o ...more
Margaux
Did I know that Karamo had a picture books in the works??
No. I did not.

Just like every time we see him on Queer Eye, reading this book was like getting a warm hug from a friend.

The story is written in two perspectives: Jason, Karamo's son, is the primary voice. He reminisces and his father responds in bold print with heartwarming affirmations.

I loved the Easter egg of seeing The rest of the Fab 5 on the front and back pages of the book, in a crowd. I loved even more being able to read a littl
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• I Love My Hair!
  • Let's Talk about Race
  • Brown Boy Joy
  • We March
  • Pretty Brown Face: Family Celebration Board Books
  • Firebird
  • ABCs for girls like me : an alphabet book highlighting the accomplishments of contemporary Black women
  • Sulwe
  • Crown: An Ode to the Fresh Cut
  • River
  • Evelyn del Rey Is Moving Away
  • The Day You Begin
Karamo Brown is an American television host, reality television personality, psychotherapist, and activist. Brown began his career in 2004 on the MTV reality show The Real World: Philadelphia. He currently stars as the culture expert in the Netflix series Queer Eye.

News & Interviews

Nature, in Her infinite awesomeness, can provide solace even when you’re stuck in the house. As a matter of fact, the numbers suggest that...