Start by marking “Modern Love, Revised and Updated: True Stories of Love, Loss, and Redemption” as Want to Read:
Modern Love, Revised and Updated: True Stories of Love, Loss, and Redemption

Modern Love, Revised and Updated: True Stories of Love, Loss, and Redemption

The most popular, provocative, and unforgettable essays from the past fifteen years of the New York Times "Modern Love" column--including stories from the upcoming anthology series starring Tina Fey, Andy Garcia, Anne Hathaway, Catherine Keener, Dev Patel, and John Slattery

A young woman goes through the five stages of ghosting grief. A man's promising fourth date ends in the emer/>A
Published September 3rd 2019 by Broadway Books

To ask other readers questions about Modern Love, Revised and Updated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern Love, Revised and Updated

Start your review of Modern Love, Revised and Updated: True Stories of Love, Loss, and Redemption
Larry H
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Boy, did this book hit the spot so perfectly!!

"Because real love, once blossomed, never disappears. It may get lost with a piece of paper, or transform into art, books, or children, or trigger another couple’s union while failing to cement your own. But it’s always there, lying in wait for a ray of sun, pushing through thawing soil, insisting upon its rightful existence in our hearts and on earth."

A column that has appeared in the New York Times since 2004, "Modern Love" is
Gabby
This is one of the best nonfiction books I’ve ever read. I’m fascinated by love stories of all kinds, and this book really is inspired by modern love. It’s true stories (that are apparently based off a podcast) which are all written about people’s real experiences with love. And not just romantic love, but the love of a parent, a child, and not even all the good - but all the bad and the ugly and the heartbreak too. These stories are divided into sections: so we get stories specifically about first l ...more
Literary Soirée
HOW DO I LOVE THEE?
As a former relationship coach who helped clients attract true love, I snatched up this amazing book in a sec — and I’m thrilled I did! Its stories of love and loss published originally as essays in The New York Times “Modern Love” column tickled, saddened, angered, perplexed, and exhilarated me.

GOBSMACKED
Two stories especially gobsmacked. Amy Krouse Rosenthal’s “You May Want to Marry My Husband,” urging readers to wed her perfect spouse after her impending death.
Reading Tam Ishly
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I simply could not enjoy this collection after two stories. It was kind of bland and abrupt. I couldn't continue reading this.
BookOfCinz
If you are like me who lives outside if the US and basically under a rock, the New York Times does a column called Modern Love. The book Modern Love: True Stories of Love, Loss and Redemption is a collection of the some of the best essays that appeared in the column over the last ten years. This is an insanely cohesive, well put together collection of essays that explores modern love in the most hilarious, deeply personal, moving, vulnerable, and heartfelt way. I could not have enough of this ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
This is a complication of Modern Love columns from the New York Times, in preparation of some Netflix show that comes out in October. I was a little disappointed by the sparse diversity but liked the variety of topics within love, from dating to marriage to divorce to children to loss. An easy read of short personal stories.

I received a copy from the publisher through Edelweiss, and it came out Sept. 3, 2019.
Fareya
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A collection of heartfelt and unforgettable essays that reads like short stories and are life/love stories of real people! Every essay is in a different tone and style, plus it's not just about romantic love but that plus family, friend and filial love. Really, it doesn't even feel like reading non-fiction. I devoured it in a few days and would recommend it if short stories/essays are your jam!

**A free finished was provided by Random House. All opinions are my own.**
Basic B's Guide
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A collection of essays featured in the NY Times “Modern Love” column since its debut, this is now an original streaming series on Amazon Prime. Having a pretty traditional love life, I wasn’t sure how much I would relate to a book about modern love but boy was I wrong. Like most essays you will connect with some on a deeper level than others but the overall sense I was left with was that love is only fully achieved through vulnerability. We must completely surrender ourselves and often times at ...more
Fatma
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
it was fine. i dont know, i found that most, if not all, of the stories weren't very memorable. nothing egregiously bad, but nothing impressionable either.
Rachel A.  Dawson
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-rad-reads
This one is a great collection of Modern Love columns (plz tell me you know about this column from the @nytimes or the podcast!!) — heart-wrenching, humorous, poignant, wistful, wise, and just so, so very human. These are stories of love gained and lost and everything in between, and they are such a beautiful picture of humanity and emotions and just life. Big fan.
Mehrsa
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love reading the Modern Love essays in the Times and it was nice to have a bunch of them compiled here. I had read a few of them, but not too many.
Brittany J. (BNJreads)
Thank you @randomhouse #partner for gifting me a copy of Modern Love by Daniel Jones.

🖤 After reading this book, I am so thankful to have found my person and still have him earth-side with me to make mistakes, grow with, change with, raise our babies and get the chance to do it all over again everyday. While I continue to hope that our love story endures all, some of these stories in this book don’t and that’s just real life. I enjoyed each of the stories and the many examples of love
Shannon Whitehead
While I live in the U.S., where the NY Times "Modern Love" column and new TV series are very popular, I wasn't familiar with either one until recently. I picked up this essay collection purely because I wanted to read about the ups and downs of love outside of my own life experience. I was sick of dwelling on my own heartache and wanted to hear about someone else's experience with love.

That's exactly what I got—an honest, beautiful look at humanity and the ways that love (in its many
Bruin Mccon
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-ebook
I used to read ML every week and even subscribed to the podcast for several months. A book is different. The only way i can explain it is tiramisu. You have one small serving, it’s the best ever. You eat a gallon of it and you’ll never touch the stuff again.
Kelly
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Living in the Midwest and not being a regular customer of the NYT, I had no idea that Modern Love was a column. But now that I do, I'll probably try to read it as often as possible. This collection of essays covers the very vast and malleable definition of what it means to love. There's platonic love, romantic love, unrequited love, love in the face of adversity, the ways that love can break us down and build us up. How we can still learn things, still find magic in relationships, after years of ...more
Janet

When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing cool to do but reading as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader.

The most popular, provocative, and unforgettable essays from the New York Times “Mo
June
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ng, biography
If you kept up with the Modern Love column in the NYT, you'll remember many of these letters. If, like me, you were an occasional reader, the breadth of these stories will be striking. Writings range from tales of the banal modern issues of online dating, texting, swiping right, etc., to the uncomfortable issues of marriage and parenting too the earth-shattering losses of loved ones in death. The latter are powerful tearjerkers, while the former often seemed a bit trivial in comparison. All in a ...more
Stella
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
The New York Times Modern Love column is the only column that I read consistently. After reading about politics, the recession, real estate, murder....I need something else. Often, I don't even read the other stuff because my mind and heart can't take it.

This collection is heart breaking, The collection is full of pain. This collection is full of love. It's the way we fall in love, the way we love our families, the way that people love their children.

It's Modern Love.

Thanks to NetGalley and t
Karen LeBlanc
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been a fan and avid reader of the “Modern Love” column since the day I began subscribing to The New York Times a decade ago. These true-life essays are often poignant, stranger than fiction, intimate insights into love in all its iterations. As first-person accounts with dramatic story arcs that practically leap off the page, “Modern Love” begs for a more multidimensional rendering. The New York Times took note, launching a Modern Love podcast. (I’m a subscriber and enthusiastic listener) a ...more
Katherine Mary
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
So , it’s not gonna be easy, as much of life never really is….

I am very happy I started my #nonfictionnovember with Modern Love: True Stories of Love, Loss and Redemption.

While this is a collection of essays, each essay truly reads like a short story. I really enjoyed each one on its own. What made me happy about this collection too was that I was able to continue reading my other books simultaneously as I allowed myself a few essays each night.

One story that particularl
April Greissinger
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Huge thanks to Random House for my free copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion!

I loved these stories! These stories are filled with joy, sadness, hope, and loss, and I couldn't get enough of them! There were stories that drew me in more than others, but I really loved this collection and the way the stories were broken up throughout the book! My favorite sections of the book were the stories under 'I think I love you' and 'holding on through the curves' - I especially lo
Misti
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perhaps you're familiar with the Modern Love column in the New York Times? This book collects some of the best essays from that column's 15-year history. Most relate to romantic love, but some look at friendship or familial love. I thought the funniest was Aaron Long's "First I met my children. Then my girlfriend. They're related." and the most touching was one I had already read when it was originally published in the newspaper, Amy Krouse Rosenthal's "You May Want to Marry My Husband."
If
Asra Yousuf
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been a fan of this NY Times column for a while and hence when the book was announced I had to get it. And it didn't disappoint. Beautiful anthology of stories that tug at your heartstrings! I guess it has something or the other that everyone can connect with, and the fact that they are true stories, makes it even more special. If you've read Chicken Soup for the Soul, I believe it has a similar vibe and feel.
P.S. The amazon prime web series based off some of the stories in the book
Heather O'Neill
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of short stories about love from the Modern Love column that have been published throughout the years. The stories are about dating, marriage, parenting, dying, and friendships that all have something to do with love.

I have read different essays from Modern Love before, but I wanted to pick this book up because Amazon made a series from some of the stories. This book was the revised and updated version of the book. It's nice once in awhile to digest short stories
Gail (The Knight Reader)
There are a lot of essays in this collection. A LOT. Unfortunately, many were average and not very memorable. If you ask me about this in a week’s time I am pretty sure these few lines will be all I have as proof that I even read Modern Love. A handful of stories were touching (usually the ones that involved death), some read like self help (grrrr) and some could be skipped altogether. I’d recommend this collection be read in short bits, lest repetition and boredom may seep in.

Overall impressio
Rachy_reads
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I ended up devouring this book in a couple of hours - so much better then the tv show which to be fair my #sentimental heart loved. So many beautiful stories of all different sorts of love: maternal, friendship, romantic, unrequited....
Reading It I felt that there were so many better stories that I could have been made for the tv show - but maybe they are doing a series two?
What I loved most about this book (and I loved a lot) is that it has introduced me to so many great writers (and I n
Kerri
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars! I don't think Modern Love really needs an introduction, and I while I enjoyed this collection of columns (some all-time favorites: 'You Might Want to Marry My Husband'; 'When Eve and Eve Bit the Apple'; 'Now I Need a Place to Hide Away') I felt like this bind-up was a little bit uneven. I would have loved more diversity overall, and perhaps would have swapped out a few of the essays for others. But if you are a fan of the column, of love stories in general, or want to get acquainted w ...more
Brenda
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
i picked this book on a complete whim while browsing at my bookstore the saturday morning before last. i liked that it was pink and i liked that it was a collection by many writers. i've been having a hard time reading anything other than the temeraire series this summer (lmao) between starting a new job and moving and figured this would be a cute, easy read. oh was i wrong. it was neither cute nor easy but utterly devastating. it made me cry several times and reminded me distinctly that life is ...more
Courtney Rodgers
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I've been an irregular reader of the Modern Love column, so I enjoyed reading this compilation of essays. Some essays made me laugh, others left me crying- the way good love stories should. I would have actually liked to read more essays. I felt that most of the essays selected fell into the heteronormative category, it would be nice to see a more diverse selection in future editions or collections.
Denice Langley
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
These stories are like little gems, the ones you call your friends and say...did you hear about....
Written as small glimpses of lives for a media column, each tale is a complete love story and not always with a happy ending. I love anthologies as they introduce new authors into my reading, lending anticipation of discovery to the reading experience and often adding new names to my favorites. This is a great book to read and share.
Daniel Jones has edited the Modern Love column in The New York Times since its inception in 2004. His books include “Love Illuminated: Exploring Life’s Most Mystifying Subject (with the Help of 50,000 Strangers),” “The Bastard on the Couch,” and the novel “After Lucy.” Jones appears weekly on the Modern Love podcast and is a consulting producer for Amazon Studios’ show “Modern Love.” He lives in N ...more