Start by marking “Soil and Ceremony” as Want to Read:
Soil and Ceremony

Soil and Ceremony

A history of loss and a terrible stammer have led gravedigger Benjamin Hood to a life of isolation.

When a rash of untimely deaths sweeps through his small English village, he cannot stand by in silence. To uncover the truth about the lives lost, he takes up a long-neglected role of responsibility among the townspeople.

As Benjamin questions the victims' families, he finds t
Published July 12th 2019 by TirgearrPublishing

To ask other readers questions about Soil and Ceremony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soil and Ceremony

Start your review of Soil and Ceremony
Sarah Perchikoff
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes, the only way I find amazing books is through authors emailing me and asking me to review their book. That is how I found Soil and Ceremony by Julia Byrd and omg it’s so good y’all! The main character lives in a cemetery, there’s an amazing female character who takes no prisoners, a lovely romance, a brutal fight, and a twist at the end…oh my god. Let’s get to the review!

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

Cathy Geha
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Soil and Ceremony by Julia Byrd

What a wonderful book this proved to be! I love reading new-to-me authors that I know will become go-to authors for me in the future! This book has wonderful characters, impeccable plotting, dialogue that drew me in and left me happy that I had met and been able to spend some time with the characters in this book,

Benjamin Hood seems to be an unassuming stuttering gravedigger when the story begins but proves to be a whole lot more by the end of the book. He has an
Michelle | michelledevoursbooks
Ben is the quiet caretaker of the Maida Green cemetery in a small English village. Afflicted with a stutter since childhood, he prefers to remain silent and fade into the background. When the mysterious and enigmatic Juno arrives at his cemetery conducting questionable heathen rituals, he can't help but be drawn to her. The two struggle to find common ground, particularly when unfortunate circumstances of infant deaths push the people of the village to a superstitious fervor. Could it be possibl ...more
J Renee
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting with an unusual writing style

"Soil and Ceremony" is a very interesting book. The hero, Benjamin Hood, is a complex man with a somewhat debilitating stutter. As we get to know Ben, we realize there are many mysterious things in his life. I frequently wondered what was going on in this story. I never thought of stopping reading, though. I consider this a low-key but very interesting book. I like how Julia Byrd built all the characters and the circumstances of the story. I hope she
Kathy
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting complex characters; even some we could identify in another day and age. I got mad at Ben in this story of a little romance and mystery but as I have said many times, I don’t think becoming impatient with a character is anything more than an author writing in a style that can evoke emotion in the reader.

This is one of those books that you always want more pages when you come to the end. Not that it doesn’t end properly because it does, but moreso that you want to know more about the
Amy
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Soil and Ceremony is my first introduction to Julia Byrd’s writing. It will not be the last. I thought this book was great. It has a mixture of mystery, history, and suspense, as well as, adventure and action. I was intrigued from start to finish.

I am giving Soil and Ceremony four stars. I would love to read more by Miss Byrd in the future. I recommend this one for readers who enjoy exciting, suspense filled historical fiction.

I received this book from the publisher. This review is 100% my own
Christine Woinich
Interesting story although it took me a bit to get into it. It seemed to drag at times, but I liked the characters. Ben was an hard worker, trying to get back his property. His beliefs were challenged, and yet he found himself attracted to Juno. Juno had her secrets and her beliefs differed from Ben's, but the two always tried to do the right thing. With those secrets and the danger surrounding them, there was plenty to keep the story going though.

I received a copy of this story through Goddess
Susan
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was attached to the main characters from the start, and loved the way the author described their challenges and quirks. The storyline kept me guessing all the way through to the end, and I didn’t want to put it down. I highly recommend this book if you like grave diggers, strong and independent yet “witchy” ladies, old manor houses, mystery, meaningful connections between main characters, or plot twists.
Carol
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down! I was drawn to the characters and their unusual circumstances, to their vulnerabilities, strengths and dilemmas and I just could not wait to see what would happen next. I loved this story of mystery, suspense and finding your true self. Maybe Julia will write a sequel? I’d love to find out what’s in store for these unconventional characters next!
Lisa Shardlow
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this was really good. I really liked Juno from the start, and I did not see that ending coming at all!
Marilyn Kavanaugh
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love grows

between an unusual heroine and an afflicted hero, despite a Gothic atmosphere of tragic events and suspicious, superstitious, frightened neighbors.
Becky
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just loved this book! Characters were well-developed and I felt as though I were in the story with them. This historical fiction story had me riveted and I couldn't put it down.
M.T. DeSantis
I received this book for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Read an excerpt and follow the Goddess Fish book tour here.
I don’t usually go for gothic books, but this took me by surprise in how much I enjoyed it. The setting was the biggest thing. It felt so real, so lifelike. I was there—the graveyard, the village atmosphere, the old house that was crumbling but still so majestic. Visiting this place felt very possible.
The characters, too, were well-developed. Juno and Ben were
Jun 23, 2019
Barbara Keune
Jun 29, 2019
Julia Byrd
May 10, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Kathryn
Lynee
Jun 18, 2019

• Crybaby in the Dark: A collection of short horror stories
  • Darkshades
  • The Bone Jar (Detective Lew Kirby, #1)
  • Baba Lenka: Pure Occult Horror
  • The Haunting of Rachel Harroway (Rachel Harroway Paranormal Mysteries Book 1)
  • Botanical Folk Tales
  • Devil Ship (Devil Ship #1)
  • Madeleine: A Regency Romance Novella
  • The Fressingfield Witch (Lawrence Harpham Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Cold Storage
  • Species Unknown: A Novel of The Watch
  • To Dare a Duke (Girls Who Dare, #1)
  • Ashes to Ashes (The Haunting of Blackburn Manor, #6)
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Master of the Moor: De Wolfe Pack Connected World
  • The Wizard's Butler
  • full blood moon (Chimera Collection Book 1)
  • Sophie Washington: Mismatch