Start by marking “America Is Immigrants” as Want to Read:
America Is Immigrants

America Is Immigrants

A gorgeous illustrated collection profiling immigrants from every single country in the world, celebrating the incredible range of what it means to be an American.

This vibrant volume brings American immigrant stories to life in short biographies written by award-winning writer Sara Nović with charming full-color illustrations by Alison Kolesar. At a time when p
Published October 22nd 2019 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about America Is Immigrants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America Is Immigrants

Start your review of America Is Immigrants
Betsy
Jul 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
Oh my. I had high hopes for this title, but sadly, there's absolutely no way I can recommend it to any readers. At first glance, I thought the illustrations were lovely, but it didn't take me long to notice a HUGE, glaring problem. The people of color in this book are depicted as very, very (did I say very?) light-skinned.

For just one example, check out the illustration of Chinua Achebe compared to how he appears on Google Images.

I could hardly believe that a book about immigrants would contain such a gargantuan oversight, so I reached out to NetGalley to confirm that I was not experiencing a problem with my device. (I wasn't.) These illustrations are a HUGE issue in a book that's claiming to celebrate America's diversity.

If the illustrations are revised, I'll be happy to revisit this review, but as the book appears right now, I absolutely cannot recommend it.

Thanks to Random House and NetGalley for providing me with a DRC of this book, which will be available for purchase on October 15th.
Nancy
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads-win
3.5
Sara Novic's book America Is Immigrants presents foreign-born individuals who came to America and had an impact on society and the world. She includes examples from all 193 members of the United Nations.

These individuals contributed to all areas, including technology, entertainment, industry, business, the arts and literature, medicine, cuisine, architecture, government, the military, and human rights.

Many of the contemporary individuals included were unfamiliar to me. Novi
Basic B's Guide
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short biographies of familiar faces. The boys and I enjoyed looking through and reading profiles. They were curious to see who came from Canada, just like their Momma.

Katie Peach
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5/5

"America Is Immigrants" is a wonderful collection of short biographies on famous immigrants in the United States. The book features everyone from athletes to diplomats to scientists. It shows how valuable immigration is to our country and the contribution immigrants have made to our country. I loved that included biographies of people from different time periods in American history and from a variety of countries.

This book would be a great addition to a classroom (mo
Carlton Phelps
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quite the eye opener. I think everyone should grab a copy of this book. It is full of information that will help young and old see how immigrants have helped America and more.
Meiling Kubik
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I felt this was a really nice book with a good message. It’s a book that you can pick up any time, flip to a random page, and get some onsite into the life of an immigrant.

I agree with other reviewers that the illustrations do depict some of the POC as unrealistically light skinned, but see that as a potentially unintentional oversight that doesn’t discount the books entire purpose of telling the stories of immigrants.

Being that each immigrant is only afforded one page or less, the narratives
Janet

A gorgeously illustrated collection featuring inspiring immigrants from every country in the world, celebrating the incredible range of what it means to be an American

This dazzling volume brings American immigrant stories to life in short b
Briayna Cuffie
Disclaimer: I received this as an eARC via NetGalley in partnership with the publisher, for a fair and unbiased review.
—————————————————————————-

I liked the diversity of the people included. There were quite a few I didn’t know about. Definitely didn’t appreciate the white-washing of the people who are much darker-skinned in real life.

Some of the bios seemed to end a bit abruptly and/or the bit about their youth/adolescence seemed short.
Frances
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics
Beautiful overview of the multitude of immigrants who’ve contributed amazing things to the world. It features short bios organised into different categories/industries, along with portraits of many of them.
Judy
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant book! So well written and so interesting! We're all immigrants. Come from different walks of life from all over the world. This book proves that. Each and every chapter of this book enlightens and makes one smile. Learn about how immigrants help make America great.

A MUST buy!
Liz
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book! It is chocked full of short biographies of immigrants to American (from absolutely every corner and country of the world) and what they did with their lives after their arrivals. Some of the immigrants are famous names and are easily recognized; some are obscure and their accomplishments are footnotes in history; all are interesting with an amazing range of abilities. This really opened my eyes to how the US had been influenced by many other cultures in every facet of l ...more
Julie
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful collection of quick snippets about migrants who have made the United States what we are today. From Hollywood to pop culture to medical breakthrough and scientific innovation.....we are a country of immigrants and we need to embrace this.

This would be a great book for a school library and a US History teacher to help bring immigrant stories alive.
BetweenShadesofBooks
Jul 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
This book is what I need in my life.
Phoebe
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stories of Americans who emigrated from countries all over the world to live the American dream.

Warning!!!! There is no objectivity in the opinion given below.

As is usual with this topic I have no objectivity. I have been waiting for this book ever since I first heard the lie that immigrants are drug dealers and murderers (Lee, 8 Jul 2015, para. 5). I knew that there had to be information out there of all of the immigrants that had come here who had made an impact that wo
Kathleen Wolfe
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am totally delighted with this book!
Its compact easy to read biographies and lively illustrations surely earn it a permanent place on educational reading lists.
This book left on coffee table or on a settee in a sunroom will repeatedly find itself nonchalantly picked up by a reader unaware, only to find themselves still reading it 15 minutes later!
The illustrator owes no apologies for her artistic interpretation of the individuals in the book.
The critics of the said tonal discrep
Luis Cuesta
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. It offers an educative look that is relevant theses days when public debate is focused on who belongs in America. From war heroes to fashion designers, pop stars, athletes, and many more fascinating figures that may be not as popular, each and every immigrant man or woman portrayed in the book with a short but informative text and an illustration enlightens and makes one smile and appreciate the positive impact that immigration had, has and will have ...more
Zstone66
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I feel like I learned some really cool facts about a bunch of people I didn't know were immigrants. And even the really famous people -who I feel like I knew all about - had stories that I had no idea about. Just cool to have some of these stories in my back pocket that I feel like I can share with other people. Really cool illustrations too. A perfect gift (especially for my uncle who has some questionable political views).
Isabelle N
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Darn right, America is Immigrants! I loved this book! We cannot let anyone defeat the purpose of the American dream, the American promise of welcoming immigrants and refugees. You are safe here. You are welcome here. We need that promise back.
Erin Richards
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I really liked the information in this book, and thought it was compiled nicely, but I knocked off one star, because I agree with another reviewer about the use of skin tones in the illustrations was a bit disappointing.
Parker
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I was blown away at the achievements of these immigrants who have made America their home. I had never heard of most of these people, yet they are part of the fabric that makes this country what it is.
Brian
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
In this book, lots of people who are American but came from other countries are highlighted. Each entry features a different person and the book is divided into themes. Some of the people's stories were very interesting, others less so. It's a nicely put together book with a good message.
Jenna Nicole
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book everyone should own. Such an important, diverse piece that was put together beautifully.
Rachel A.  Dawson
This one felt perfectly appropriate to read today as my own little act of rebellion against this “holiday”... I’m not down for celebrating men who pillage and plunder people and land... but I am ALWAYS down for celebrating the beautiful, creative, world-changing, brilliant immigrants and refugees and humans who make up America and make it better. SO ANYWAY. 🙃 The heart of this one is spot on. It starts with who is in the book, where they are from, and then who isn’t in the book, and I so deeply ...more
Sharon
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very nice book.

this was a goodreads giveaway
Natalie
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I found this a curated list of assorted immigrant names with no depth. Perhaps it could prove useful for young readers or in some classrooms, but it certainly has no place in a college library.

It is a cute to share with children, but there are so many others, better organized, that I would hesitate to recommend purchase.

Thank you Netgalley.
Jackson Glassey
Oct 27, 2019

• Christmas Shopaholic
  • Right After the Weather
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • Migrating to Prison: America's Obsession With Locking Up Immigrants
  • The Next Right Thing: A Simple, Soulful Practice for Making Life Decisions
  • Jane Anonymous
  • Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Child's Play
  • The Other's Gold
  • American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century
  • This Land Is Our Land: An Immigrant’s Manifesto
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • Red at the Bone
  • Dominicana
  • The Warehouse
Sara Nović is author of the novel GIRL AT WAR, (Random House), an American Library Association award winner that's available in 13 languages. AMERICA IS IMMIGRANTS, new, illustrated nonfiction, is coming in 2019. She lives in Philadelphia.

You can visit her on the web at http://sara-novic.com or at
[twitter] @novicsara