Start by marking “The Lost Letter” as Want to Read:
The Lost Letter

The Lost Letter

A PROUD BEAUTY

Society beauty Sylvia Stafford is far too pragmatic to pine. When the tragic death of her gamester father leaves her destitute and alone, she finds work as a governess in a merchant's household in Cheapside. Isolated from the fashionable acquaintance of her youth, she resigns herself to lonely spinsterhood until a mysterious visitor convinces her to temporar
Published November 6th 2017 by Perfectly Proper Press (first published September 19th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Letter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Letter

"Avonna
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Check out all of my reviews at: http://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

THE LOST LETTER: A VICTORIAN ROMANCE by Mimi Matthews is a beautifully written historical romance set in the Victorian era. The story flows between the hero and heroine, past and present, as they are given a second chance at love. The story is captivating and only a little longer than a novella. I just kept turning the pages and was done before I knew it in just one sitting.

Sylvia Stafford was the beautiful and charming daughter of a Baron. Sh
Lyuda
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: victorian

I have a soft spot for Beauty and the Beast type of stories. This one started very promising but ended up being somewhat disappointing.

The story is well-researched with careful attention to customs and behaviors of historical times. It is always gratifying for me when authors treat their historical romances as historical and not as “dressed up” contemporary ones. The writing flowed nicely and I especially liked the way the hero declared his love at the end. It was very romantic.

B

Frankie (Chicks, Rogues and Scandals)
My, oh, my! This is absolutely remarkable!

Everyone who has read my reviews before will know how much I love my heroes to be trouble and vulnerable and wanting a strong women to help them back to happiness and this is just that, this is truly breath-taking and I loved every single moment of it, and I will apologize now if I start rambling on, but this is really something special and I have so much I want to say about it.

I have read a lot of Mimi Matthews’ blog posts and I
Karen
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"She burned my letters?"
"All but one," Sebastian said."

Another fantastic novella from Mimi Matthews. I could have devoured this in one sitting had I not fogged my brain with too much wine. I really love her writing and her writing style! Looking forward to reading many many more.
Deanne Patterson
This was essentially a beauty and the beast retelling set in Victorian England. Sylvia Stafford is feeling so ashamed in life. Several years ago her gambler father killed himself. The party invitations dried up for this society miss and the beau have all disappeared,after all who wants to be associated with her. Her father's death leads her to the discovery of debts he has. Not having time to feel sorry for herself she must get a job to support herself. She is now the governess of two sweet litt ...more
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
True historical romance-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think the historical romance books become a little addicting overtime. They seem to have many of the same components: the blushing virgin, a cranky beau, a misunderstanding, and finally the declaration. It’s what the author does with this traditional system that makes all the difference.

Mimi Matthews has crafted a unique plot with some pretty traditional elements along a twist on the classic Beauty and the Beast story. While the stor
Mary
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Dear Reader,

There was something very special about this book and I must admit that I absolutely loved it!!!

Perhaps it was the second chance romance aspect that pulled at my heartstrings or maybe it was Sylvia's reduced circumstances and her humble acceptance of such when faced with exceptional consequences at the hands of another.

Perhaps it was the strength of a love that refused to wither despite the Machiavellian type efforts at play by a known and trusted figure.

It may have bee
TL
I received this via Goodreads Giveaways in exchange for an honest review. All my opinions are my own.
---
*minor edits*

A compulsively readable story and lovely writing but was left feeling underwhelmed overall.

To me, it didn't really feel like a Beauty and the Beast retelling. Yes some of the elements were there but nothing that stood out for me really.

Some things felt rushed and others were not really expanded on much. We get hints at some things but not enou
Misfit
That was fun, but it ended all too quickly - I wanted more and maybe a comeuppance or two? Oh well, a very nice romance (clean, just some kisses). A misunderstanding that isn't too much that I'd want to scream for them to talk to each other (they did). And a nice twist on the beauty and the beast theme.

Digital copy obtained via library loan.
K.J. Charles
Charming m/f Beauty and the Beast / wounded hero novella. The plot is a bit dependent on communication failure, but the heroine has backbone, the hero pulls his head out of his arse in time, there's an excellent valet, and the period feel is note perfect. Lovely ending.
Sonya Heaney
This blog post addresses some of the things I discuss in this review - especially my questions about why such a good book isn't with a big publishing house. Basically: there's no sex, and publishers insist on it. Ugh.

I had no idea what to expect from this one. Small, unknown publisher, and a cover - while I love it for all the Victorian feelings, and wish more covers looked like this - that didn’t line up with my idea of a historical romance cover.

However, I LOVED this book. I really, r
Christina
THIS is just the kind of historical romance I like! Engaging story, likeable characters, unrequited love, delicious tension between the principals, believable dialog, misunderstandings but no cheap contrivances, and swoonworthy happily-ever-after. This story has shades of the beloved classic “Beauty and the Beast”—I enjoyed this love story very much!
Cheesecake
I really enjoyed this one.
I wondered at one point whose letter was lost or if a letter was found instead...

Sylvia and Sebastian didn't have an understanding 3 years ago, but they were very close to one. If not for his having to leave for India (he was a colonel in the cavalry) and the machinations of her father...

Now Sylvia is no longer the pampered daughter of a Baron but the governess in a merchant's house.
Sebastian is no longer a second son in the military,
Carole (in Canada)
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance/Victorian

I am so glad I have found Mimi Matthews! This is a jewel of story with hints of Beauty and the Beast, Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte all rolled into one.

Beautifully written and fast-paced, this story sweeps you up and doesn't let go. The simmering undercurrents of emotions flowing between Sylvia Stafford and Colonel Sebastion Conrad are palpable. The library scene at just over half way through was breathtaking in its intensity. Both Sylvia and Sebastion carry scars...some are emoti
Veronique
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, stars-3-5
3.5*

After having enjoyed A Holiday by Gaslight, I couldn’t resist trying another of Matthews’s titles. This novella is another Victorian romance, well written, with attention to the historical aspect. My problem was that the author used a trope I’ve seen quite a few times now - that of the male lead getting hurt/disfigured by war. It was perfectly dealt with, but I’ve seen it done better in two other books. Mind you, those were novels, so I’m probably being unfair... Nevertheless, I did enjoy
Dana Michael
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So romantic

This has got to be one of the most romantic books I have ever read in my life.. It has a Beauty and Beast vibe that I totally love. Y'all that kiss! That letter! Swoon!
I recommend this book to all romance lovers and historical fiction readers. There are some mild curse words for sensitive readers.
Tracy DeNeal
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sebastian and Sylvia

What a lovely story! I've read stories about lost letters before, but this one is my most favorite. Why? The meddling matchmaking sister, Julia, made this a unique story that will go on my keeper shelf. It will be frequently revisited with fondness.

Sylvia Stafford, the only daughter to a profligate baronet, once met a gruff Army colonel, a second son to an earl, who stole her heart before being shipped off to India to serve. Three years have passed since she said goodbye to
Maria
"Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review"
What a wonderful well written story! It was a pleasure to read it, a real page-turner, I’ve read it in one setting.
It has some of my favorite tropes and themes – the wounded hero, the second chance romance – and it’s all so well crafted and perfect.
But I think what captivated me the most was the process of bringing back together these two very lonely people who loved each other but had both resigned themselves to li
Candy Briggs
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Matthews is a first time author for me and I thoroughly loved it. Sylvia is the daughter of a baronet. Her father was addicted to gambling and had lost it all, he committed suicide. She became a governess, it was all that was left to her. Sebastion Conrad was a soldier and had been grievously wounded and never left his estate.
This was an amazing story and so full of heart. The pain, the two went thru both emotionally and physically was astounding. The story's descriptions were so good
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow just wow! 5 glorious stars! I can not say enough about how much I loved this story. I’ve been smiling for a full hour because of it.
The year is not over yet, but I’m pretty sure this my favorite historical romance of 2017. The chemistry was extra special and I loved all the character development. This was so GOOD! Thank you Mary for bringing another great book to me.
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
I loved this tender, emotional and romantic debut novel from Mimi Matthews which features a second chance story, one of my favorite themes.

Colonel Sebastian Conrad followed the career expected of all the second sons of the Earls of Radcliffe and became a soldier. Orderly, disciplined and rather serious, life as a career cavalry officer suited Sebastian perfectly. While on leave in London, he accepts an invitation to a musical evening where he is captivated by the lovely Sylvia Stafford.

Wit
Anneceleste
A short novel (160 pages long), but so well written. I am starting immediately the next romance from this author.
Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink*
This book was just everything I love in literature. A Beauty and the Beast theme, a lost connection, separated lovers that have to learn each other again, misunderstandings, rags to riches...and yet this book still didn't feel crowded.

Just lovely, in my opinion.
OLT
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just when I was despairing of ever again finding new HR releases to my taste, along comes Mimi Matthews. New to me, she has written a lovely little, sweet Victorian romance. Granted it has more romance tropes/devices/cliches in it than you can shake a Kindle at, so let's get those out of the way first.

(1) Heroine, formerly of the peerage, is left impecunious when her reckless and selfish gambling father, a baronet, commits suicide after losing an insurmountable amount, a debt he coul
Nancy
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title of Mimi Matthew's novel The Lost Letter: A Victorian Romance tells you what to expect. It is a romance novel set in the Victorian Age in which a lost letter leads to the separation of true love. Each believes they have been rejected by the other.

I have been reading Mimi Matthew's blog (https://www.mimimatthews.com/blog/) for several years. It has high style, great writing, deep research on subjects relating to Victorian Age literature, history, and
Patricia Morgan
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the storyline and the characters in this book. The characters were well developed and the storyline so believable.
Sylvia was the daughter of a Baron and a diamond of the 1st water. She had many suitors. But the one she fell in love with was the 2nd son of an Earl, a Colonel in the Calvary.
Sebastian first sees Sylvia at a musical, where she sings like an angel. He arranges an introduction and proceeds to fall head over heels in love. Syria feels the same way. But Sebast
Susan in NC
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet, touching twist on the Beauty and the Beast theme. This is my second Mimi Matthews novel, and won’t be my last. Historically accurate, romantic, slow-building steam without bodice-ripping ickiness - I really enjoy her books, and will look for more!
Lucinda
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this one!
Regan Walker
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: victorian
To Love a Scarred Hero

A worthy debut historical romance set in Victorian England in 1860. It’s the story of Miss Sylvia Stafford, daughter of a baronet and a sought after beauty in her first season. But when her father committed suicide, she is cut by her friends and forced to become a governess. Silvia is happy in her work but misses the life she had.

One day, the sister of the man she once loved, a colonel serving in India, shows up to plead with Silvia to come to visit her brother
eyes.2c
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing Beauty and the Beast story of true love gone astray.

Sylvia Stafford, once a society diamond of the first water is left impoverished and shunned when her high rolling father takes his own life. She finds sustenance and a certain amount of peace as a governess with a kindly merchant's wife.
Unexpectedly coming into an earldom, Colonel Sebastian Conrad, badly scarred and emotionally tortured from the terror that was the Sepoy Rebellion, has withdrawn from any form of society, to hi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Danse de la Folie
  • The Country Gentleman
  • The Captain's Wallflower
  • Finding Gabriel
  • The Inseparable Mr. and Mrs. Darcy (Meryton Mystery #3)
  • The Vanishing of Lord Vale (The Lost Lords Book 2)
  • To Save and Protect: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Beauty and the Spymaster (Brotherhood of the Falcon, #1)
  • My Lords, Ladies and Marjorie
  • Escapade
  • The Chaperon (Sisters of Woodside Mysteries, #2)
  • The Second Chance: A 'Pride & Prejudice' - 'Sense & Sensibility' Variation
  • With This Ring
  • A Royal Disposition: A Pride and Prejudice Novel
  • The Bounty Hunter's Bride
  • A Short Period of Exquisite Felicity
  • Maulever Hall
USA Today bestselling author Mimi Matthews writes both historical non-fiction and proper historical romances set in Victorian England. Her articles on nineteenth century history have been published on various academic and history sites, including the Victorian Web and the Journal of Victorian Culture, and are also syndicated weekly at BUST Magazine. In her other life, Mimi is an attorney. She resides in California with he ...more