Start by marking “Murder in Mykonos (Andreas Kaldis, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder in Mykonos (Andreas Kaldis, #1)

Murder in Mykonos

(Andreas Kaldis #1)

A young woman on holiday to Mykonos, the most famous of Greece's Aegean Cycladic islands, simply disappears off the face of the earth. And no one notices.
That is, until a body turns up on a pile of bones under the floor of a remote mountain church. Then the island's new police chief, the young, politically incorrect, former Athens homicide detective Andreas Kaldisastarts f
Published January 1st 2009 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published January 1st 2008)

Phrynne
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 5000-books
I had highs and lows with this book, moments when I thought 'This book is really good" and moments when I couldn't wait for it to be finished. At the end I sat for a moment to try and discover why.

I enjoyed the sections which featured Andreas Kaldis. He is a strong character with morals and those were few and far between amongst the other characters.. I liked the descriptions of the Mykonos scenery and could imagine myself being there on one of the beautiful beaches or up in the hills with the l
LJ
First Sentence: Just past midnight the massive Rodanthi ferry silently made its grand entrance into the Mykonos’ narrow, crescent-shaped harbor.

Det. Andreas Kildis has been transferred from Athens to the role of police chief on Mykonos. Shortly after arriving he is summoned to a remote church where the body of a young woman has been found in a crypt beneath the floor. She is not alone. As the investigation develops, it becomes clear there has been a ritual serial killer on the island for almost
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; 29 SEPT 2013: 3.8 STARS
Narrator: Koullis Kyriacou

The Story: I enjoyed this even though I felt the murder mystery a little vague. All I know, with regards to this, is that someone is killing off tall, blond Scandinavian women. The serial killer sticks a spoke in his own wheel when the latest blonde he's abducted turns out to be part Greek.

This isn't a straightforward serial killer mystery in that while the murders are solved, the reader is not presented with everything neatly
Junying
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book by Jeffrey Siger is a masterful suspense novel which has kept me interested from beginning to the very end, and honestly, I have no idea who was the culprit until the last sentence, just as the author has intended, I suspect. Yes, it does remind me of The Murder on the Oriental Express by Agatha Christy, which the book actually made reference to.

I love the setting of the book, which I nearly visited some years ago as I did my very own Greek Islands hopping as a single woman - I went c
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
For my loyal followers, I do want to make it clear that this fantastic novel is not a gentle cozy. No, this novel is a Police Procedural set on the Greek Island of Mykonos. This novel is hard hitting, action packed study of a serial killer that has been committing his atrocities for almost two decades.

Our sleuth is the new Chief of Police, Inspector Andreas Kaldis. He was promoted out of Athens due to being too good at his job and making certain politicians nervous.

We are introduced to the glitz
Stephen Hayes
A readable and exciting whodunit.

Police officer Andreas Kaldis is a bit disgruntled when he is transferred from Athens to the tourist island of Mykonos in the Aegean, from investigating murders to being a nursemaid to tourists is not an exciting prospect. But soon there is a report of a dead body, found in the crypt of a rural church, apparently of a young woman. The case becomes more urgent when another young woman, a tourist, disappears, and it appears that the police on Mykonos have a serial
Voula
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Actually, I rather liked this book. The main character took a little getting used to, but I decided that even though his attitude was sometimes somewhat surly, he got the job done and was able to eventually forge some relationships during the course of the book. Also, he caught the bad guy... well ... that's another story... I liked the mystery aspects of the book. Characters were interesting and it was a good, light read. Try to overlook Andreas' attitude at first... it improves a bit as you go ...more
Sue
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was such an enjoyable read - a number of suspects, a race against time to prevent another murder, good detectives, an interesting potential victim and all set on the glorious Greek island of Mykonos. I learned a lot - burial practices on the island, a blue roof denotes a church dedicated to St Nicholas... I have another book in this series out from the library and am looking forward to starting it.
Norm Brown
Mar 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Murder in Mykonos is a well written murder mystery. The plot is fairly straight forward and the pace of the action is good. I can see why it's been a bestseller in Greece. The descriptions of the unique island location and it's residents are excellent. I feel like I've been to Mykonos.
Lori
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a relatively good mystery for being first in a series. I don't know why they always have to be serial killer stories (so old, now). Also, I think that having the entire array of serious suspects just disappear on their own business to the point the police cannot locate any of them for questioning and follow up (on a fairly small island, no less) required a lot of suspension of disbelief. I did enjoy the ambiance of Mykonos and some of the description was quite engaging.
J.F. Juzwik
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What’s that you said? You don’t know Andreas? Well, shame on you. Andreas is the creation of Jeffrey Siger, and we’re first introduced to him in Murder in Mykonos. We become further acquainted with him in Assassins of Athens. So, what’s so special about Andreas Kaldis? Let’s begin at the beginning.

Murder in Mykonos: The story begins with Andreas Kaldis being ‘promoted’ to Chief of Police on the island of Mykonos (approximately 90 miles, by plane, from Athens). In truth, the employment change was
Tonstant Weader
Sep 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Murder in Mykonos is the first in Jeffrey Siger’s police procedural series featuring Andreas Kaldis, a homicide investigator in Greece. There are already eight in the series, which means there are several more to look forward to reading. Andreas Kaldis has just been “promoted” to Chief of Police of Mykonos, the famous tourist destination island in the Cyclades islands of Greece. He is unhappy about being pushed out of Homicide to babysit tourists, recognizing that his promotion was a way to cut ...more
Pam
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Murder in Mykonos: A Chief Inspector Andreas Kalois Mystery Book 1 is by Jeffrey Siger. It is a great mystery and is set on the island of Mykonos in Greece.
Andreas Kaldis has been “promoted” to Chief Inspector of Mykonos. He isn’t happy about this as he doesn’t want to deal with tourists but wants to go about his previous assignment of catching killers. However, the “powers that be” have decided he is better off on Mykonos instead of being in Athens where he has a tendency to embarrass them. Ev
Cathy
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ended up skimming it as I couldn’t get into it.
Valerie Kerwin
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this setting in Mykonos and the mystery of the dead bodies in small chapels. Interesting characters kept me reading. I read it slowly as this was one I read on my phone, but still kept me interested. Highly recommended.
Sally Sugarman
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
There is a point in this book when the reader must continue to read, no matter how late at night it is or if there is something else he or she is supposed to be doing during the day. One must find out what will happen. Combine that with two last sentences that come as a total surprise and one has a mystery that is quite special. Homicide detective Andreas Kaldis has been promoted from his detective job in Athens to that of police chief in Mykonos to get him out of the way, It appears that he is ...more
Bill Cokas
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Carolyn Mck
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Goodreads friend recently recommended a recent Siger crime fiction so I thought I'd better begin at the beginning of the Andreas Kaldis series. This didn't disappoint - I was kept in suspense until the last sentence when the identity of the serial killer of young tourist women was finally revealed.

I do enjoy series where the sense of place is as important as the crime story itself. Among my favourite settings are Donna Leon's Venice, Martin Walker's Dordogne and Mankell's Sweden. I have visit
Martha Bratton
Sep 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
The one star is for hooking me into wanting to see how the police would solve the crime, but it's just too vicious and mean. The long and dragged out graphic descriptions of torture were overdone for me, almost as if the author was enjoying the torture. Or if the author wasn't enjoying the torture, the only other motive I can think of is pandering to people who like to read about torture. Torture was well covered.

With so many weird candidates for killer, the book is an effective deterrent to tra
Deb
Sep 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
I was disappointed in this book as I felt that the characters weren't that likable. It appeared that the inhabitants of this island had a lot of sexual hangups and everyone had something to hide. Politics and tourism were more important then solving the mystery of the murdered women. Also the reason why the murderer did what he did didn't make any sense. Not an author I will read again.
Stacie  Haden
Solid suspense/thriller/police procedural/international mystery set in Mykonos, Greece. I'll be continuing with the series.
Jonda Beattie
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fast moving mystery that keeps you guessing until the last page. I especially enjoyed it because I bought it on the island of Mykonos and loved the references to that island and Delos.
Jo Perry
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mystery/thriller lovers.
I regret diving into to Siger's celebrated series very late, but here I am. Book one is original, propulsive hypnotic, immersive, smart and really scared me. Who is killing the women of Mykonos? Even the most respected Mykonoan citizens have turbulent and pathological histories. Haunted by his own ghosts, prickly Chief Kaldis must fight from drowning in the treacherous currents of Greek and Mykonan politics while searches for a young woman who moves closer to death as each moment passes. Greece ...more
Andrea
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I like that there was more thoughts in the murderer’s head and less of his actions. There is some about it, so there is some graphic violence. However, we don’t get lots of blood or fluids.
Overall, it was less mystery and more race to get the bad guy. I knew who the murderer was pretty quickly. There was a twist at the end and I’m not sure how I liked it. I came away feeling like Greece is pretty dangerous, but considering all the American crime fiction I assume many things are over exaggerated
Joyce Eaves
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading about a place and a culture at the same time as solving a mystery. This is my favorite genre, so I am not a totally unbiased reader. I really like the book enough to keep reading the series. I liked the pace better than the Donna Leon Commissioner series in Venice. While the pace of life may be similar, the pace of the plot is a little more engaging. After reading a few of Leon's, you know the characters like family members, so you don't mind some time spent kind of visiting with ...more
Diane Cranson
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery readers
I don't read many mysteries. I chose this because it was set in Greece. I think I was hoping to find another writer like Anne Zouroudi, whose Greek Detective series I really enjoy. I didn't, however I did find a very good writer who really knows Greece, and writes a damn good murder mystery. I found the story gripping and unexpected. I think it will appeal very much to readers who enjoy gritty murder mysteries.
Aristotle
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Athena forgive me.
This was a very disappointing read. I spent many summers in Mykonos and it pains me to give this 2 stars. Weak dialogue, boring main characters, silly plot, and no real feel for Mykonos or its people. Just didn't work.
30 pages in i read the last two chapters to see who dunnit then i started skimming pages to finish. Hope the gods on Mount Olympus don't punish me like they did with Prometheus or Sisyphus but skip this book.
May
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel was an interesting mystery. The plot line was well done. I truly did not know which of the multiple suspects was the actual murderer, until the last line of the novel. My criticism is the thin character development. However, it was a perfect book for a rainy day read. I would read another of this series.
Karren
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall I was into this story but I felt Siger dragged out the telling in places. In the end I stayed up late trying to find out what happened.

This is the 5th Kaldis story I've read and obviously I'm not reading them in order.

Sometimes Siger needs to be scolded for his writing. In this book, I found myself rereading passages which weren't very clear.
Monty
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

I found this to be an excellent murder mystery to read. I've read numerous detective type books and this one kept me on the edge of my seat. Great to read something that was from that part of the world. The writer is very descriptive and can really put you in the picture!
  • The Taint of Midas (The Greek Detective #2)
  • Irrefutable
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • Old World Murder (A Chloe Ellefson Mystery #1)
  • Appartamento a Istanbul
  • The Lying-Down Room
  • The 7th Woman (Paris Homicide)
  • Present Darkness (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #4)
  • The Butterfly Forest (Sean O'Brien, #3)
  • Jacquot and the Angel (Daniel Jacquot, #3)
  • Deadly Business (Maid for Murder #1)
  • Hula Done It? (Passport to Peril, #4)
  • Unlucky for Some (Lloyd & Hill, #13)
  • Death of a Lovable Geek (Dotsy Lamb, #2)
  • 30 Delicious Dump Cake Recipes
  • The Dark Vineyard (Bruno, Chief of Police #2)
  • If You Can't Stand the Heat (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop, #1)
  • Siren of the Waters (Commander Jana Matinova, #1)

I am an American living on the Aegean Greek island of Mykonos. A Pittsburgh native and former Wall Street lawyer, I gave up my career as a name partner in my own New York City law firm to write mystery thrillers that tell more than just a fast-paced story. My novels are aimed at exploring serious societal issues confronting modern day Greece in a tell-it-like-it-is style while touching upon the co

Andreas Kaldis (9 books)
  • Assassins of Athens (Andreas Kaldis, #2)
  • Prey on Patmos  (Andreas Kaldis, #3)
  • Target: Tinos  (Andreas Kaldis, #4)
  • Mykonos After Midnight (Andreas Kaldis, #5)
  • Sons of Sparta (Andreas Kaldis, #6)
  • Devil of Delphi (Andreas Kaldis, #7)
  • Santorini Caesars (Andreas Kaldis, #8)
  • An Aegean April (Andreas Kaldis, #9)