Start by marking “Out of the Shadows: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Out of the Shadows: A Memoir

Out of the Shadows: A Memoir

An unforgettable story of an ordinary woman in astonishing circumstances who defies the odds.

Timea Nagy was twenty years old when she answered a newspaper ad in Budapest, Hungary, calling for young women to work as babysitters and housekeepers in Canada. Hired by what seemed like a legitimate recruitment agency, Timea left her home believing she would earn good money to
Published May 28th 2019 by Doubleday Canada

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Shadows

Karissa Costa
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The courage, strength and bravely this woman has is mind blowing. I’m sure not many people are strong enough to overcome such trauma over and over again in order to share it with the world in hopes of changing and saving the lives of others. This story will stay with me for a long time - best book I’ve ever read.

Cory
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I truly loved this book. I bought it in the airport and I could not put it down until I finished it. Not only is it an incredible education on human trafficking, but it is also a gripping story of resilience. I was so taken by Timea. She is an incredible woman. This book is well written, it is non-fiction, but reads like a page turner novel and is important to know about.
Jax
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hard read, but eye opening. I know Canada isn't as squeaky clean as many non-canadians think, but it was still tough to know that while I was hanging out in bars and wandering home at 4am, living my life and having fun in Toronto, women were being trafficked and abused. I could have walked by Timea at any time in the Annex and never had known her history. it's heartbreaking and i'm so proud of her for setting up Walk with Me after all Canada had done to her.

Abarna Nathan
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Phonemenal, soul wrenching, an absolutely necessary read for anyone unaware of the prevalence of human trafficking and what it looks like. What a raw story, I feel so privileged to have been able to read Timea's story. I'm motivated to pass this book around in my advocacy and volunteering work.
David Gonzalez Feijoo
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book on audible. I bought it after hearing an interview of the author on talk radio. I immediately wanted to read it because I've always wanted to know what would cause a person to allow herself to be sex trafficed. Suffice it to say, I found out and then some. Plus, I live in Toronto where the story is set. What happened to Timea Nagy is horrifying. Just when you think the story couldn't get any more shocking, it does. Time and time again. If this doesn't get turned into a mo ...more
Crystal McBride
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Thank you for sharing your story. This book is a must-read for anyone that needs to know this is happening everywhere.
Rachael
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This novel is equally difficult and easy to read. I found myself cringing and wanting to turn the page to find out what happens next. You'll want to read to the end. Timea's story is brave and hopeful. Moroney's empathetic way of writing makes you feel as though you are Timea.
Bonnie
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ooof! What a story! This poor girl was trafficked from Hungary and brought to Toronto and forced to work as a stripper and in the sex industry. What happens to her is crazy, but sadly not uncommon. Things got worse before they got better, and some of the parts were very difficult to read. She went through a lot of shit, and came out all the better for it. She uses her experience as a victim of human trafficking as her career and instructing police on how to handle these types of cases and what t ...more
Rebecca de Winter
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not only is Timea Nagy's story an important one as it takes the reader through the horrible underbelly of human trafficking in Canada, but it is also a remarkable show of resilience. This woman survived so much and then bravely turned that trauma into a powerful tool of helping other immigrants lured into the same cruel world. A powerful read; I could not put this book down.
Niki Painter
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent and inspirational
Linda
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking, but I devoured this book in 6 hours and loved it.
Hayley
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tough read at times, I had no idea such evil could take place in my own country. I'm glad to see that human trafficking is becoming more acknowledged and more people are speaking out.
Shannon Finn
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unbelievable story. I cannot believe it's true. Yet in the end, after all the horrors, there is a light. Could not put it down!
Tracey
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disturbing to know this is going on in our country.

Good book but disturbing content. Very well written. My heart goes out to anyone who has ever been exploited. Shocked that this can go on
Drew
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book after the co author stopped by my work she was so great with customers that I felt the need to pick up the book and I couldn't stop talking about it! This book is so sad and scary. Living in Canada you feel immune to all the terrifying things that woman are subject to. That this stuff only happens in America but it doesn't. It happens everywhere even in our own back yard. Timea is such a strong survivor and her story is so important for people to read.
Nancy Middleman