Start by marking “Out of the Shadows: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Out of the Shadows: A Memoir

Out of the Shadows: A Memoir

An unforgettable story of an ordinary woman in astonishing circumstances who defies the odds.

Timea Nagy was twenty years old when she answered a newspaper ad in Budapest, Hungary, calling for young women to work as babysitters and housekeepers in Canada. Hired by what seemed like a legitimate recruitment agency, Timea left her home believing she would earn good money to
Published May 28th 2019 by Doubleday Canada

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Shadows

Start your review of Out of the Shadows: A Memoir
Kelsey Dumont
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was difficult to discuss in a structured format as it drew out so many emotions; one person in our book club described it as a slow descent into hell. The style and details written about the main character did not make her an overly likeable character; however, as the story unfolds, you cannot help but feel physically ill about the situation in which she ended up in.

We felt the author did an excellent job portraying how easy it can be to manipulate and exploit people, particularly
Karissa Costa
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The courage, strength and bravely this woman has is mind blowing. I’m sure not many people are strong enough to overcome such trauma over and over again in order to share it with the world in hopes of changing and saving the lives of others. This story will stay with me for a long time - best book I’ve ever read.

David Gonzalez Feijoo
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book on audible. I bought it after hearing an interview of the author on talk radio. I immediately wanted to read it because I've always wanted to know what would cause a person to allow herself to be sex trafficed. Suffice it to say, I found out and then some. Plus, I live in Toronto where the story is set. What happened to Timea Nagy is horrifying. Just when you think the story couldn't get any more shocking, it does. Time and time again. If this doesn't get turned into a ...more
Abarna Nathan
Phonemenal, soul wrenching, an absolutely necessary read for anyone unaware of the prevalence of human trafficking and what it looks like. What a raw story, I feel so privileged to have been able to read Timea's story. I'm motivated to pass this book around in my advocacy and volunteering work.
Jax
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hard read, but eye opening. I know Canada isn't as squeaky clean as many non-canadians think, but it was still tough to know that while I was hanging out in bars and wandering home at 4am, living my life and having fun in Toronto, women were being trafficked and abused. I could have walked by Timea at any time in the Annex and never had known her history. it's heartbreaking and i'm so proud of her for setting up Walk with Me after all Canada had done to her.

Tara Reed
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
READ. THIS.
Cory
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I truly loved this book. I bought it in the airport and I could not put it down until I finished it. Not only is it an incredible education on human trafficking, but it is also a gripping story of resilience. I was so taken by Timea. She is an incredible woman. This book is well written, it is non-fiction, but reads like a page turner novel and is important to know about.
Crystal McBride
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Thank you for sharing your story. This book is a must-read for anyone that needs to know this is happening everywhere.
Bonnie
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ooof! What a story! This poor girl was trafficked from Hungary and brought to Toronto and forced to work as a stripper and in the sex industry. What happens to her is crazy, but sadly not uncommon. Things got worse before they got better, and some of the parts were very difficult to read. She went through a lot of shit, and came out all the better for it. She uses her experience as a victim of human trafficking as her career and instructing police on how to handle these types of cases and what ...more
Rachael
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This novel is equally difficult and easy to read. I found myself cringing and wanting to turn the page to find out what happens next. You'll want to read to the end. Timea's story is brave and hopeful. Moroney's empathetic way of writing makes you feel as though you are Timea.
Andrea
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't even know how to rate this book. I'm not going to say I enjoyed it. I will say I couldn't put it down.
Lori
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Amazingly horrifying. Really made me question how sheltered I really am. I’m sure we have all come in contact with traffickers and traffickees in our lives and have no clue! This was a very open and painful reveal of Timea Nagy’s life. I was humbled by the ownership that she took in the journey of her life. How she was able to take the negative and turn it into a positive.
I think Canadians think our beautiful country is immune to the ugly underbelly of human trafficking. This is something
iz_reads
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This story was heartbreaking and inspiring and something that is so important with how times are right now.
Timea was a Hungarian woman in her very early twenties when she and a friend responded to an ad in Canada in need of babysitters - however when she arrived it was nothing like she expected. She was in massive amounts of debt to the “agency” and only allowed in the country once she signed a contract to be an exotic dancer for work opposed to the babysitting job she had prepared for. What
Lindsay ⭐ [TrulyBooked]
This is an important novel for people to read, but not for the faint of heart. It should go without saying considering the synopsis, but this is a true story that deals heavily with rape, sex trafficking, and the complete attempts of destruction of a woman at the hands of greedy, uncaring, and cruel men. It's heartbreaking and horrifying.

There's a crazy amount of intricacies wrapped up in this. The corruption of the police and the systems that allowed for this to happen makes everything even
Aarthy
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one sitting and frankly, this cannot be good for my health. I felt sick the entire time I read this book and yet I was so addicted I could not put it down. It was hard to even fathom that something so utterly terrible and evil can happen to people. The book is a must read for every Canadian. There is a huge human trafficking problem and this book explore the story told from a brave and tenacious survivor. The memoir is almost written like a fiction, but the events are very ...more
Emily Cynthia
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a difficult, but important read. It really opened my eyes to the Human Trafficking that takes place right in our own city. Timea is one brave and strong woman and I think it took a lot of strength and courage to tell her story. She has overcome a lot and the good she is now doing to support others is admirable. I’m glad I took the time to read this memoir and I highly recommend this read.
Tiki
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this one down despite it being totally depressing and re-affirming the depths of evil that men will sink to in trafficking women, children and yes, men as well. That the author rose above her situation, educated herself and became a spokesperson for abused and trafficked individuals is inspiring. As long as a profit can be made on the souls of individuals to be made to work for nothing be it in the sex trade, factory or construction, this practice will persist.
Laura Lang
Couldn’t put this book down! Shocking to believe that this level of human trafficking goes on in our own country. As the book goes on, you don’t think things can get any worse for Timea but they do. Her courage and wits got her out of a seemingly inescapable situation. Her bravery and determination to go public and assist others in the same situation is remarkable. Highly recommend this book.
Laura Conquergood
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a amazing and difficult read all at the same time. It exposed my sheltered self to miserable crime that was happening in my backyard. Times was held in a hotel across the street from where I worked at the mall. We were the same age and yet so different. It is amazing to hear what she has done with her experience. She is truly a hero!
Troy Zimmer
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so real and raw and is one of the most impactful books I’ve ever read. Yes, the story is dark, disturbing, and downright disgusting at times, but that’s how it’s suppose to feel. Giving a true insight into a person who is/was in a situation like that can help us to understand, instead of judge.
Kkellie
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
With sex trafficing a huge issue in society I was amazed out much I did not know after reading this book. The manipulation that is used to get women, and men, into this trade is unbelievable. I applaud Timea on her strength and perseverance to overcome so many obstacles to survive, and then to put them in print. Thank you for sharing your story.
Rebecca de Winter
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not only is Timea Nagy's story an important one as it takes the reader through the horrible underbelly of human trafficking in Canada, but it is also a remarkable show of resilience. This woman survived so much and then bravely turned that trauma into a powerful tool of helping other immigrants lured into the same cruel world. A powerful read; I could not put this book down.
Devon Bloore
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an incredibly emotional read. What this woman had to endure was horrifying. I cried, practically sobbed, while I was reading parts of her story. It was a book that was very dark, but in the end inspiring.
Jasmine Ohara
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Truly inspiring memoir about Timea’s journey...Wow, incredible strong women.
Linda
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking, but I devoured this book in 6 hours and loved it.
Vitrine
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2020
A must-read. This book will stay with me forever. Heartbreaking.
Shannon Finn
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unbelievable story. I cannot believe it's true. Yet in the end, after all the horrors, there is a light. Could not put it down!
Sara
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read. Raw, real and emotional. Timea shares her struggle being apart of human trafficking and it is important we hear her story and her strength.
Lena Borosiu
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Very well written.
Zoe
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read for all, very eye opening to an issue that's hiding in plain sight.

• Through the Glass
  • From the Ashes
  • A Good Wife: Escaping the Life I Never Chose
  • Love & Courage: My Story of Family, Resilience, and Overcoming the Unexpected
  • Mistakes to Run With
  • Beyond the Trees: A Journey Alone Across Canada's Arctic
  • Highway of Tears: A True Story of Racism, Indifference and the Pursuit of Justice for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls
  • How to Connect: Stories on the Power of Human Connection
  • The Forgotten Child: The powerful true story of a boy abandoned as a baby and left to die
  • The Shape of Family
  • This Little Light
  • Love Lives Here: A Story of Thriving in a Transgender Family
  • A Mind Spread Out on the Ground
  • The Natashas: Inside the New Global Sex Trade
  • By Chance Alone: A Remarkable True Story of Courage and Survival at Auschwitz
  • The Billionaire Murders: The Mysterious Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman
  • Someone We Know
  • The Family Next Door: The Heartbreaking Imprisonment of the Thirteen Turpin Siblings and Their Extraordinary Rescue