Start by marking “The 5th Gender (Tinkered Stars)” as Want to Read:
The 5th Gender (Tinkered Stars)

The 5th Gender

(Tinkered Stars)

A species that has no word for murder, has a murderer aboard their spaceship.

ALIEN

Tristol lives in exile. But he’s built a life for himself aboard a human space station. He’s even begun to understand the complex nuances of human courting rituals.

Detective Hastion is finally flirting back!

MURDER

Except that Tristol’s beloved space station is unexpectedly contacted by t
Published May 18th 2019 by GAIL CARRIGER LLC

To ask other readers questions about The 5th Gender, please sign up.
Bbeller This book is the first book in the series, please do not let the wrong metadata fool you. It's also coming out in May, so hopefully by then this…moreThis book is the first book in the series, please do not let the wrong metadata fool you. It's also coming out in May, so hopefully by then this mix-up will be corrected.(less)

Start your review of The 5th Gender (Tinkered Stars)
Shin Mon Thway
OMG!!!! 😱 How much I loved this book!!! 😍 This is my second hair tentacles book and it sure was freaking glorious! Who knew hairs could be so sexy? 😁😉 But no, this book is so much more than kinky hair tentacles. The world building, the storyline, the protagonists, it was fresh, it was unique and it was just so damn enthralling. I couldn’t put down this book. I simply couldn’t. Read it in one sitting and already revving towards rereading it again.

Tris is an exiled alien who’s now working and liv
* A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Alien Loving Hearts!

What is it about an endearing lavender alien, whose guileless charm, flirty ways, and innate goodness oh so easily and seamlessly melted my cold heart? Throw in said alien having fae features, an excellent sense of fashion and basically, fascinating “sentient” hair (crazy I know), and you’ve got quite the start to a new series!

Tristol is an outcast amongst his fellow galoi, and he lives his life on a bustling space station, as his very sunny disposition makes him the perfect diplomatic ambassador to brid
Kathleen
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi

I absolutely loved this story. Color me lavender gobsmacked. After Carriger's last foray into our MM romance world (The Omega Objection), which I detested, I had no hope whatsoever she would ever write another MM book that I'd read. I loved The Sumage Solution, but that second book dumped the series in the toilet for
Susan
Re-read June 2019
Such a sweet story.

-----------------------------------

Now this was cute!

Tristol is a galoi, a purple alien. Oh, I’m sorry, a lavender alien. He has puffy hair when he’s happy and when he’s around detective Hastion his hair betrays his extreme attraction and tries to pet the handsome detective.

Tristol loves humans and their weird customs, like keeping a furry creature as a pet, also known as a cat. Of course he is thrilled when his friends E
Helen
5 stars for the 5 genders .

I really hope this author continues this series !
Ariana
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ariana by: A Reader Obsessed

5 shiny, sparkling, stars for ...

.) the sheer wealth of imagination
.) the fabulous and intricate world building
.) all that delightful humour
.) one of the cutest couples I’ve read in 2019

But MOST of all for …

Tris(tol), the purple (oops, sorry, LAVENDER) alien.

He is without any doubt one of the cutest, sweetest, most heart-warming characters ever. I’m sure I had the broadest smile on my face virtually throughout the whole book.
I loved everything about this cutie-pie from outer space.

His honesty and caring nature, his happiness when he can make others happy, his joy an
Kaje Harper
This was a lot of fun, a light SciFi mystery romance, as a human cop on a space station falls for a kind, enthusiastic, exiled alien. Tris is the fifth of his species' five genders, and usually his kind would be home on a planet closed to outsiders. But Tris couldn't live with one of the essential demands made by his society, and as a result he's exiled into human space, literally "nothing" to his people anymore.

Those of Tris's kind who choose this exile are valuable in the wider multi-species
Eugenia
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aliens
Cuddlelicious!!!!

This story was simply ADORABLE!! 😱😱

Wait! It’s Tris, our lavender, wriggly-haired alíen that’s ADORABLE! ❤❤❤ He is beyond precious and so full of love!

I’ll warn you that this is a very insta-love story with “baby” and “honey” endearments from the get-go. I always have a problem with that, but Tris made me look the other way and not mind so much when his hunky, brown and bearded detective called him baby.

Tris is from a mysterious and xenophobic race of beings. De
Ula'ndi Hart
Overall book rating: 5
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 3.5

I’d like to compliment the author on a few things.

- The uniqueness of Tristol’s character. There were so many things I loved about him. I’ve read about a character with the hair thing before but the way it was used with Tris was something else. The emotional thing really really worked for me and it was also totally new. Very special to me.

- The way everything was described to the reader without information dumping. The on
Courtney Bassett
SUCH a delight

The sample hooked me and I was in love from the start. Tris is quirky and utterly adorable, and I loved his unique and hysterical take on things. He’s paired with a big, growly, protective detective, and they were PERFECT together. This shot straight to my favorites list, and I HOPE there are more in the series.
Jenni Lea
Cracky yet profound with bonus ninja feels

Whoa. What even is this book? I thought I was just getting a charming little book full of fluff. And it was that. It was charming and ridiculous and so full of crack that I was instantly hooked. I was happily skipping along, spouting words like "precious" and "adorable" and "sugary sweet" when WHAM! I was hit upside the head with the feels.

This book turned out to be way more deep than I expected, and I daresay it was profound. It eerily mirrors curr
Ty Kuta
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a delightful romance and mystery. SUPER Queer, super gender transgressive, super cute. The Queer scifi I wish I had had access to as a child.

Everyone who was waiting for The Unadulterated Good Queer Content from Gail, untempered by Victorian/Modern day sensibilities…The 5th Gender is it. I highly recommend this book, even if you don't generally like m/m series (like myself). :)

(I received an Advanced Reader Copy of The 5th Gender in exchange for my unbiased review.)
~nikki the recovering book addict
Wow!! I haven’t read a science fiction book quite as fascinating as this in a long time! The aliens were definitely unique and a very welcomed breath of fresh air! I love this universe and this Galoi race the author has built. So utterly charming and lovely and just, so so sweet! 😍

Admittedly it took some getting used to and understanding the 5 different genders but certainly once you do understand it, it’s pretty much a no-brainer. Why wouldn’t we have 5 different genders?!?
haletostilinski
Oh, this was such a delightful read, I loved it from start to finish!

This takes place in some distant future where humans and other aliens have discovered each other and are used to each other, so much so that there is an established space station and humans live among other alien species on that space station in general peace.

Tris is an alien (to us) that is a galoi, who has fairly recently - in his timeline - been exiled his home planet and from his whole galoi society. Tris has been off the pla
Chris, the Dalek King
“There is no doubt about it. Humans are weird.”

There is something special about a story that grabs you in the first couple of sentences. Looking at them again, there is nothing so unique about these two sentences. Nothing so shocking or awe-inspiring. And yet…I was caught, filled with an almost instinctual knowledge, grown out of decades of reading, that I was going to love this journey. Maybe it was because I am predisposed to like this author’s stories. Maybe it was because I was looking forward to
Amazonaute
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
3.000005 repeater?

enf.

I have only really liked one book by carriger, the sumange solution. Otherwise I found her work too elizabeth petersish.

The settings were all wrong for me, and the sci fi pretty lame. The insta love didn't work for me, or the infantilised feminised cutsy alien.

sigh.

Maybe the next one will be better.
Daesy
**grm**

First of all, I want to thank Susan <3 for this suggestion, it was a funny and cute book, and something I really needed after the awful ones I have read in the past weeks.
Sci-fi was always one of my favourite genres and here is really well done. The book was interesting and the story captivating, but most of all, I loved Tris and Drey.
Tris was the cutest alien ever and he was so sweet and in a kind of way also pure, something that usually is hard to associate with a
⚣Michaelle⚣
OMG, this is the book I wish Jailmates had been.

Okay, no. They are two different stories, by completely different authors...but the level of world-building detail was nicely balanced with the romance here and the pet-names weren't annoying or misplaced. And the sex was smoking hot. Plus, hey, nicely disguised scathing social commentary on gender roles and expression, sexual orientation and societal expectations/demands. (The case solution broke my heart; I thought it was coming but wasn't rea
Claudia
I loved this book. the world-building (especially the idea of the galoi) was great. I loved Tris and his little quirks and I found his world and his way of communication and his POV interesting.
Drey is perfect for him

the mystery is well done as well and it was really interesting to read.

Please, I want another one with these two!!! PLEASE!!!!
Dumbledore11214
A species that has no word for murder, has a murderer aboard their spaceship.

ALIEN

Detective Hastion is finally flirting back!

MURDER

Except that Tristol’s beloved space station is unexpectedly contacted by the galoi – a xenophobic species with five genders, purple skin, and serious attitude. They need the help of a human detective
Lisa Wolf
Oh my, where to even start with this cute and sexy sci-fi love story?

Well, how about with talking about how adorable Tristol (Tris) is? He's lavender (not purple, thank you very much), with hair that expresses emotion and is highly sensitive, boundless enthusiasm, and a heart that's just aching for love. His human crush, Trey Hastion, is large, bearded, and highly attractive, and -- as it turns out -- has a secret thing for Tris. But just as the two start to connect, Tris is called i
Joyfully Jay
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

The 5th Gender is a really engaging story that combines humor, romance, and a little bit of mystery. The first thing that struck me here is the playful tone to the story. Fans of Carriger’s San Andreas Shifters series will recognize the style with a lot of humor and silliness amidst the more serious plot elements. Much of the source of the humor comes from Tristol, who is fairly acclimated to life among humans, but also at times has a sense of shock and wonder that
Tess

This was fun and sweet (and surprisingly sexy)!
Hazee
Oh. My.

G.L. Carringer has created a whole new world in this book and I'm so excited at the prospect of this being the bomb-ass start of an amazing series! Tristol was truly the most adorable little lavender bean, (he's right up there with our other smol-bean Harry from Alessandra Hazard's "That Alien Feeling.") and I loved him so much. The concept of there being five genders was originally what pulled me into this book since I'm not much of a mystery reader, but this book didn't focus entirely on t
Pernilla
Second read, 2019-05-19 (directly on top of the first): I must make note that while I found this absolutely delightful, the take on gender and gender roles isn't all that innovative -- it does deal with an alien race with five genders, but those are all biologically determined and without much flexibility, and Drey's and Tris's relationship falls pretty neatly into a pattern that could be perceived as a traditional masculine-feminine role division, like a lot of the Alien Romance/Omegaverse stor ...more
Erica
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Update:

I'd just like to point out that, even though I only finished this audiobook two days ago, I'm already listening to it again. I just couldn't get it out of my head. I have other audiobooks I'm supposed to be listening to, but I don't even care.

Review:

I loved pretty much everything about this. Great story, great characters, great audio narration. This will probably be a frequent re-read (or re-listen) for me.
Alex
Nope.
I'll probably try this one again later because it doesn't really grab my attention right now!
The Lit Bitch
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

As many of you know, I have been a long time fan of Gail Carriger. She is a consistently accomplished writer with unique and interesting books that I always seem to find myself burning the midnight oil to read.

I am not a huge sci-fi fan. I don’t read a lot of it nor do I watch any sci fi. I mean I liked the idea of it, but it’s just not my genre at all. So when Carriger asked if I wanted to review this one…..I hesitated.

But I did agree to read it base
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}
I'm probably being a little unfair with the 3 stars. I actually think it's closer to the 4 but there was something that drove me so crazy that I can't give the 4 stars right now. It's mean of me because this was a lovely story and a story that really made you think about the labels we use and slap onto other people. The driving me crazy thing? Baby!!! Baby, baby, baby!!

Drey calling Tris baby was supposed to be cute and lovely and T
Karen Wellsbury
Just lovely.
Tris is a lavender alien with hair that is alive and expressive and he is brilliant, he lives in exile from his polygamous race on a space station and has a huge crush on Drey, who is a detective.
As little is known about the galoi, Drey believes that Tris is flighty and although he is also attracted to him, Drey is rather off hand with Tris. But when Tris cat sits for friends, one of the results is that these two save a runaway cat and spend time together.
Drey finds
Gail Carriger Fan...: The 5th Gender 1 20 Mar 28, 2019 09:42AM

• Earth Fathers Are Weird
  • Knight's Fire (Scales of Honor #1)
  • Reticence (Custard Protocol, #4)
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • How to Run with the Wolves (Howl at the Moon #5)
  • The Mage on the Hill (The Web of Arcana #1)
  • Human Omega: Babied by His Guardian Mates (Pykh, #3)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • Jon's Crazy Head-Boppin' Mystery (Jon's Mysteries, #2)
  • Jon's Spooky Corpse Conundrum (Jon's Mysteries, #3)
  • Give Up the Ghost (Not Dead Yet #2)
  • Once Upon a Time (Calluvia's Royalty, #3)
  • Sword Dance (Sword Dance, #1)
  • Ends, Means, Laws and an Angry Ship
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound #3)
  • The Rat-Catcher's Daughter (Lilywhite Boys, #0.5)
  • Ramen Assassin (Ramen Assassin #1)
Author also writes as Gail Carriger

Tinkered Stars (2 books)
  • Crudrat
“To pause one’s life for another was a profound gesture of caring. What greater gift can one give another person but time?” 8 likes
“A species that had no word for murder had a murderer aboard their ship.” 1 likes