Start by marking “The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)

The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events #5)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  112,316 Ratings  ·  3,129 Reviews
WARNING: LISTENING TO THIS TAPE WILL ONLY MAKE YOU WEEP...Dear Listener,

If you are looking for a story about cheerful youngsters spending a jolly time at boarding school, look elsewhere. Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire are intelligent and resourceful children, and you might expect that they would do very well at school.

Don't.

For the Baudelaires, school turns out to be a
Audio, 4 pages
Published October 23rd 2001 by HarperCollins (first published August 8th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Austere Academy, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Maine Caulfield
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

C.G. Drews
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, read-2018
I'm so FOND of this series. *sniffles happily* I was absolutely obsessed with them as a kid and particularly remember this one's audio because it was narrated by Tim Curry and all I can hear is him sqwaking "CAKESNIFFING ORPHANS IN THE ORPHAN SHAKE CAKESNIFFING ORPHANS IN THE ORPHAN SHAKE."

Obviously my brain retains only the best and most useful things.

Anyway. This was a thoroughly great reread and perhaps one of the worst tortures the Baudelaire had to go through is Nero's horrific violin playi
Kai
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
“Friends can make you feel that the world is smaller and less sneaky than it really is, because you know people who have similar experiences.”

This was better than The Miserable Mill, mostly because of the Quagmire siblings.
This doesn't change the fact that it's one of the most tiring series ever. It is comical how depressing these books are, but a little change here and there wouldn't hurt. On one hand I really want to finish this series, on the other I really don't want to read about Olaf trick
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I loved this book because the kids are taken to a boarding school where they actually make friends! They meet The Quagmire Triplets and they all hit it off so good until Count Olaf messes things up again !!
Mark Lawrence
Another decent read with Celyn. It seems that The Miserable Mill may have been the low-point of the series as this volume is an improvement. The formula is applied once more, but with a slight variation in that the Baudelaires find friends of their own age and this alliance faces Count Olaaf with predictably grim consequences.

What steps this up from the previous book is a return to the established level of surreal, i.e. marked but not extreme. In The Miserable Mill we had Sunny fighting a sword-
Ruby Granger
I decided to re-read this before watching the new tv adaptation on Netflix. This was by far my favourite book in the series and so it was beautifully nostalgic to return to it...
Lemony Snicket is surely one of the greatest children's writers of our time.

What was your favourite book in the 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' library?
emma
AND SO IT BEGINS.

Yes, technically this is the fifth book in the series, but to me, it is the very first.

This is the book when I really start to love this series, which, in case you are new to my reviews or have been otherwise purposefully ignoring my Snicket-related screeching, is my favorite in the world.

This book introduces V.F.D., my favorite combination of three letters in the universe. Over such fan favorites as "eat" and "bye." This book also introduces the Quagmire triplets, who, in addit
Jason Koivu
Feb 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Oh, oh! This is the one where the orphans get thrown into a difficult situation and are overseen by a caretaker who just doesn't care, allowing the evil Count Olaf to get at them...like deja vu all over again.

In The Austere Academy the Baudelaire kids end up at a school, which should be good news, because they love the learning, but of course it's not good. It's never good.

I stopped reading the series for a good long while at this point. Although the quality of this one is slightly higher than t
Vanz
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
4.4

The best ASOUE book I've read so far. I love how the story is starting to have a bit of depth in it. For instance, we were introduced to the Quagmire twins (supposed to be triplets) who were also orphans whose parents died in a fire along with their third sibling. Vice Principal Nero was also very despicable, as well as the cheeky Carmelita Spats. Basically, the misfortunes of the Baudelaires are getting worse in every book. The vocabulary was excellent, it has characters that could potenti
Sara Kamjou
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
توی جلد پنجم بچهها سرپرست جدیدی ندارن و به یه مدرسهی شبانه روزی فرستاده میشن و اونجا هم ماجراهای خودشونو دارن.
این جلد رو نسبت به دو جلد قبل که داستان روتین و قابل پیشبینی شده بود بیشتر دوست داشتم، از دو لحاظ. یکی اینکه بچهها تو مدرسه دوستانی پیدا کردن که جنبهی ارتباطات کتاب رو پررنگتر میکرد و دوم اینکه داستان حالت معماییتری به خودش گرفت و از حالت هر جلد یک داستان مجزا تا حدی خارج شد.
----------
یادگاری از کتاب:
صرف اینکه چیزی مرسوم باشد، نمیتوان گفت که باید انجام شود.
...
دوستان شما میتوانند باعث شون
Kat Thomas
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a series these books are incredible. The formulaic plot that is repeated in every book satisfies the child who is being read to's expectation of what's going on, right and wrong and the band of simple characters.

Where the books become really clever is the additional bits of plot woven into the anecdotes, dedications and acknowledgments, written for the older reader, whether parents reading aloud or older children.

The humour is clever, beautifully insightful and infinitely quotable. Type Lem
Alex Farrand
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, series
I feel like I keep repeating myself about the series, so I will keep this very short. The Austere Academy is about the Baudelaires attending a boarding school. Of course, it is awful and Count Olaf finds them, again. I assume this will be a repeated sequence of events through out the whole series, but there is a change in the plot that will make the series more exciting. Maybe, this cat and mouse game will cease to exist, and the Baudelaires find happiness! It is nice that the children did find ...more
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Quote from Lemony Snicket-"a good night's sleep helps you perform well in school, and so if you are a student you should always get a good night's sleep unless you have come to the good part of your book, and then you should stay up all night and let your work fall to the wayside, and flunk" lmao
Liam
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not surprised I was so addicted to these books when I was younger, they're super addictive! When season 1 of the Netflix show ended where it did I literally had to reread this because I can't wait much longer for the next season!!

Feel like this book's plot is quite simple compared to the others and not a great deal happens, but Count Olaf's wicked plan still hit me hard. I found myself getting pretty emotional at times because we get to see the Baudelaire's happy with their new found friends
Ashley Daviau
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are so addictive, I'm totally absorbed in the Baudelaire's world and I'm absolutely loving it! Despite these books being totally depressing and grim, I just can't get enough of them! I especially enjoyed this book because it introduces the Quagmires and V.F.D. which adds a whole new aspect to the series. And I still can't get over how ridiculously blind the adults in this series are, it's quite hilarious actually! I've said it in a review for one of the previous books in the series b ...more
Lauren
This is possibly one of my favorite books in the series. It was kind of different. I liked the new setting and the new characters. Also, it was quite mysterious. Can't wait to start the next book!
Kelli
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, children-s
I’m over these but the kids still like them.
Kate (GirlReading)
3.75* this was a really fun read! I definitely enjoyed it more than book four, it didn't feel quite so dreary and I loved the fact that the siblings finally have someone on their side! It was nice that the plot wasn't quite so similar as the previous few books and I'm excited to see how it continues on from here, as it feels as though this is the first book in the series so far to have left off on a lightly less conclusive cliff hanger!!
Kimberley doruyter
you would think a grown man would get tired of being bested by 3 children.
Carlos.
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Para Beatrice: siempre estarás en mi corazón, en mi mente, y en tu sepulcro.

What can I say, me encantan estos libros.
Richard Denney
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 STARS!

A little better than The Miserable Mill but it did have some chunky boring bits that really could've been scrapped. I did like that there was this little mystery thrown in near the end of the book that intrigues the hell out of me and now Count Olaf has kidnapped the Quagmire triplets and will be using them for his insane fuckery filled operations I presume. Those two things I'm excited to see develop in book 6 which I will be starting soon. Carmelita Splats thooooooooooooooo! someone
Irene△⃒⃘
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
3.8/5

It's school time for the Baudelaires!
But of course this is no normal school for them lol

The thing that I liked the most in this book is that finally these children interact with other kids and have relationships with them.
We can see how they approach people of their age and how they interact with them.

I liked that the plot for this book is completely connected to the previous one.
You know, usually once Count Olaf is discovered the kids get passed to another guardian and we get a completely
Elaina
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I did like this book more than some of the others in this series...Of course, I was still irritated by some of the same things that happened in previous books...(Just so you know, a lot of these basically have the same plot lol :P, but they are pretty fast reads to me so I figured I might as well finish the series lol) But I'm glad the Baudelaire children at least have some friends in this one that help them with Count Olaf's evil schemes.
Julie
I really do love Lemony Snicket. Reading this just brought up so many feelings from childhood. Real review to come eventually.
Mrs.
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favorite of the series so far.
Wigs
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd like to mention that I liked this better than the others so far. With the addition of the Quagmires I felt like there was more at risk than before and I felt more emotionally invested.

BUT.

I have a qualm and that is this:

The whole plot of The Miserable Mill revolved around Klaus's glasses and we were told he can't do anything or see without them.

So how is it, that after he lends his glasses to Duncan Quagmire for the night, he is able to spend all night studying and memorizing facts in the no
Tisha
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The starting was a bit less depressing from the other books of the series as the Baudelaires got to meet the Quagmires. But if you have read the other book of this series, you already know that nothing good can happen to the Baudelaires! Yeah, the unfortunate event continues....
I wanted to stop here for now, but the little V F D twist has already got me! Now I must read the next book!

P.S. I hate Mr. Poe more than Count Olaf! ফালতু লোক একটা! :|
Ashley Brooks
The adults in this series are just completely incompetent HOW EVEN ARE YOU THIS BAD AT THINGS?
Raevyn Oswald
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good installment in the series.

Content:
Language
A villain often uses the insult “cakesniffers”; “stupid” three times; “idiot”; the “h” word as part of an old expression.

Violence and darkness
The buildings where the story is set look like gravestones; the school’s motto means “remember you will die”; children are forced to run laps all night; someone kicks someone else in the stomach; kidnapping
Swaye
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, books
😲😲😲 CLIFFHANGER!!

I must find out what happens next.
The Neverlanders: The Austere Academy - Goodreads Discussion 2 18 Mar 24, 2015 01:41PM
The Neverlanders: The Austere Academy - Voxer Discussion 1 11 Feb 02, 2015 05:58AM
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Molly Moon Stops the World (Molly Moon, #2)
  • Dial-a-Ghost
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)
  • If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (Secret, #2)
  • The Wright 3 (Chasing Vermeer, #2)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • The Edge Chronicles 5: Stormchaser: Second Book of Twig
  • The Doll People (Doll People, #1)
  • Cupid Doesn't Flip Hamburgers (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #12)
  • The Tenth City (The Land of Elyon, #3)
  • The Sea of Adventure (Adventure, #4)
  • The Spiderwick Chronicles: Care and Feeding of Sprites (Spiderwick Chronicles)
  • Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus (Theodosia Throckmorton, #3)
  • The Summit (Everest, #3)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Curse of Moustache Mary (Sammy Keyes, #5)
  • The Warning (Animorphs, #16)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

Fiction Deals

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • Don Quixote
  • The Golden Notebook
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • The Odyssey
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
  • The Tin Horse
  • The King Must Die: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (A Reverend Curtis Black Novel Book 12)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Distant Echoes, Black Sands, Dangerous Depths, Midnight Sea, and Holy Night (Aloha Reef #1-4)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Between Sundays
  • Worthy
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
    $11.99 $11.99
“Assumptions are dangerous things to make, and like all dangerous things to make -- bombs, for instance, or strawberry shortcake -- if you make even the tiniest mistake you can find yourself in terrible trouble. Making assumptions simply means believing things are a certain way with little or no evidence that shows you are correct, and you can see at once how this can lead to terrible trouble. For instance, one morning you might wake up and make the assumption that your bed was in the same place that it always was, even though you would have no real evidence that this was so. But when you got out of your bed, you might discover that it had floated out to sea, and now you would be in terrible trouble all because of the incorrect assumption that you'd made. You can see that it is better not to make too many assumptions, particularly in the morning.” 1010 likes
“There is no worse sound in the world than someone who cannot play the violin but insists on doing so anyway.” 592 likes