Start by marking “Tales from Watership Down (Watership Down, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tales from Watership Down  (Watership Down, #2)

Tales from Watership Down (Watership Down #2)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  6,208 Ratings  ·  310 Reviews
Watership Down was one of this century's best-loved works of imaginative literature. Now Richard Adams returns, to tell us what happened to the rabbits after their defeat of General Woundwort.

Tales From Watership Down begins with some of the great folk stories well known to all rabbits. Then we listen in as Dandelion, the rabbits' master storyteller, relates the thrilling
Mass Market Paperback, 335 pages
Published March 1st 1998 by Avon Books (first published August 5th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Tales from Watership Down, please sign up.

Jennifer Wells The last 40% of the book is short stories about the Warren on the down. The first part is Dandelion telling El-ahrairah stories.
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard  AdamsAnimal Farm by George OrwellBlack Beauty by Anna SewellWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Best Books About Animals
1,167 books — 1,505 voters
Watership Down by Richard  AdamsThe Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams BiancoThe Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix PotterAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollBunnicula by James Howe
150 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

I recommend this book to people who have already read (and loved) the prequel, Watership Down, as I did. And even then, I can only recommend it with caveats.

The title is misleading. Only the second half of the book is devoted to Tales from Watership Down -- several new stories about Hazel-rah, Fiver, Bigwig, and the others. The first part of the book is comprised of rabbit folklore, legends of El-Ahrairah, Prince of a Thousand Enemies. I skipped that first half.

For WD fans, these tales should be
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was a big disappointment. Especially after the amazing book that is Watership Down.

The first half of the book is simply stories from the rabbits' mythology. And yes, they are entertaining, but it is very boring to have to sit through story after story with no context in the bigger story. Because for the first half of the book, there is no story. It was Adams saying, "Hey, I had more El-ahrairah stories than I could fit in the first book. I think I'll just throw them in this one.

Stefan Yates
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Tales from Watership Down is a collection of legends and short stories that flesh out the history of the rabbits of Watership Down and continue their story after the events of the original novel. I personally had never read any of Richard Adams works prior to this (I have seen the animated film adaptation of Watership Down however, so was fairly familiar with the events and plot.) I was very impressed with how quickly I was drawn into Adams' world. His writing style is very easy to slip into and ...more
These stories were not bad. However, I had the feeling they were an effort on the part of the author to milk his classic and truly timeless fantasy one last time. My advice would be to skip these and re-read Watership Down.
Cáitín  Ní Loingeacháin
This was a story from my past and I loved the trip down memory land.

The Rabbits of Watership Down was my favourite story grown up as child, Richard Adams was a master at telling children stories I also enjoyed the cartoon of this book.

In this set of stories we get a different take on the older rabbits who have great stories to tell the younger rabbits.
Rebecca McNutt
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't think that the timeless classic Watership Down could have continued any better; this sequel not only has a variety of legendary stories from the rabbit world, but it also fills in some gaps from the previous plot. If you're a fan of the first book, this is definitely a novel you'll want to read!
Feb 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
I loved WATERSHIP DOWN; I enjoyed TALES FROM WATERSHIP DOWN. As the long-awaited continuation to Adams's original novel, it is only a sequel in the sense that it uses the same setting, motifs, and characters. Because trying to continue the plot of WATERSHIP DOWN would have been anticlimactic and, frankly, a crime, TALES reads more like a collection of rabbit folklore. The first part of the book is a juxtaposition of Adams's rabbit folklore mostly featuring the rabbit folklore hero El-ahrairah (b ...more
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
The Characters from Watership Down are back. and they have more tales to tell. If you are a fan of the first book Watership Down, you may enjoy further stories with this book "Tales from Watership Down {Watership Down #2.I liked some of the stories more than others myself. But this one is pretty good.
3,5/5 estrellas.

Con éste libro concluyo con toda historia relacionada con las colinas de Watership Down.

Escrito luego de 25 años, corresponde a una colección de relatos, los cuales están separados en tres partes, que dependen de la forma en que están contados o el tema que abarcan su separación.

La primera parte corresponde a siete relatos, donde cinco tratan de El-ahrairah. Estos relatos son contados (y es lo que los une) a través de los mismos conejos en sus momentos de paz, donde un grupo de o
Tales from Watership Down begins with of the great folk stories well known to all rabbits. Then we listen in as Dandelion, the rabbits' master storyteller, relates the thrilling adventures experienced by El-ahrairah, the mythical rabbit hero, and his stalwart, Rabscuttle, during the long journey home after their terrible encounter with the Black Rabbit of Inle (as narrated in Watership Down) Finally, in the prinicipal part of the book, we are told eight enchanting stories about the rabbits of th ...more
Sep 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tales From Watership Down is a collection of stories, that comprise not really a sequel, but more of a coda to the events of Watership Down. The book is divided into three parts, but really Parts I and II go together. They mostly contain stories concerning the adventures of El-ahrairah. The best of which is 'The Story of the Terrible Hay Making', as well as two other stories, one of which: 'The Rabbits Ghost Story' is very good.
The third part concerns some of the events following 'Watership Down
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alfredo De Legarreta
Definitely not as good as the first book; but it is good enough for me to recommend it to any fans of the Watership rabbits. It almost doesn't feel like a sequel to me. In a very, very vague (and short) way it feels like the Silmarillion to the Lord of the Rings. Want to know about the rabbit's world lore? Then read this book.
Cristina Montes
Aug 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Remember sitting on your parent's bed, listening to stories from their childhood or of ancestors long since dead but still living in words? Adams "Tales" has a similar feeling to it. Like the Bible, it's narrative only coheres in a stretching arch from beginning to end. No single conflict drives the plot, only the recognition that we are narrative creatures and that we live according to the words of stories.

Except that the "we" in the novel is, in fact, a warren of rabbits.

Here, Adams asks his r
Faysal Subhani
This sequel is as bad as the original is good. I delved into it with so much excitement as I love El-ahrairah stories and I got this book simply because Watership Down is one of my favourite books of all time. The first two parts, recounting stories of El-ahrairah are tedious and bear a striking resemblance to shaggy dog stories; "El-ahrairah wants object X. He is told by a supernatural being/vision to go to point A. At point A, he is told to go to point B, from where he is told to go to point C ...more
Charon Lloyd-Roberts
Well I only read this because hey Watership Down got me all emotional over rabbits and well this was the sequel so of course I was going to read it, and well each chapter of this is a small separate story and well some of them where great others not so much so yeah I was hoping for a continuation from the first book maybe a where are the characters now sort of thing but I didn't get that.

A summery for Tales from Watership Down:

Tales From Watership Down begins with some of the great folk stories
This was worse than I remembered it, actually. Having recently re-read Watership Down, I was really struck by how lightweight and inconsequential the stories in this book seemed. Even most of the tales of El-ahrairah lacked the mythic quality that Adams was so adept at evoking in the original book. The one that bothered me in particular was the first story in the book, which tells of how El-ahrairah gained the sense of smell for his people. What really annoyed me about it was that none of the ot ...more
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
A pleasant dessert to the main helping of Watership Down, I was more than glad for this return to the rabbit warrens. I certainly felt like these short stories, despite Mr. Adams' refutations, were of an even more directly allegorical and didactic nature than the original book. Regardless of whether they were meant to be instructional or not, these little expansions felt like they were more than I deserved; extra but not extraneous, I suppose. The same literate, direct voice shines through in th ...more
Mar 28, 2009 rated it liked it
I didn't love it as much as the original, but was definitely excited to read more about my favorite rabbits. I think it would have flowed better if he had incorporated the stories of El-ahrairah into more character and plot development of the Watership rabbits. I really liked how he did that with the original book. I was surprised to know that Adams had written a sequel as he wrapped things up pretty well in Watership Down. However, this book sort of opens up a lot of new potential story lines a ...more
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm disappointed I can only give this book a 3 because I love Watership Down. I found part 1 and part 2 of this book lacklustre. The stories of El-hahrairah were OK but had the consistent same theme of fulfilling a quest and after the first few stories it became a little boring.

I really enjoyed part 3 which provided some updates on events that happened after the en of Watership Down. I really liked these stories and I loved revisiting old characters. However I found some of the time lines a bit
Aug 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of the most purely fun books I've read since I was a kiddie. Each short story is a real page turner; a glimpse into a secret world of adventure, life, and death. Anybody up for a game of Burrows & Bunnies?

Map of the down:
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: from-the-fcpl
I did not enjoy this nearly as much as the original book. The stories describing the further adventures of the Watership rabbits were enjoyable, but the El-ahrairah stories, not so much. Overall, these seemed to lack the joyful vibrancy of the original book. How about trying some Watership Down fanfic instead?
Aug 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I loved the original book, definitely 5 stars. This one was not so much a sequel but just a visit back to Watership Down to see what the rabbits were up to in between Woundwart's defeat & the end of the first novel. Nothing groundbreaking & definitely not as deep as the first novel, but it is a light diversion for some pleasant reading about characters we've come to love. Some of it works and some of it doesn't. If you loved the first book, then do check it out but don't expect too much.
Dato che con La valle dell’orso gli è andata buca, Adams ha pensato bene che gli conveniva ritornare ai conigli della famosa “collina”. Facendo cilecca un’altra volta.

Poi, per quanto ne so, è rimasto zitto. Cosa di cui gli sono estremamente grata.
Mar 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
When I first read this I thought it was just a nice little story about rabbits. Little did I realize that when I became more mature it would be an allegory of different types of governments. It's still a nice story about rabbits too !
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read in memorium for Richard Adams. a more mature work, with less rigid boundaries keeping him within the world of Watership; however as delightful and warm as Watership.
RIP Richard Adams- My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend has stopped running today.
first read 4/05
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was crap. I enjoyed Watership Down so much that I guess I had higher expectations. I gave up reading half way through because the stories are terrible and it had a very different (half-baked) feel compared to the original Watership Down story. Moving on to something else!
Dec 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Why did I read this? I don't know, I have no excuse. The original was not my cuppa tea, so what was I thinking? Hopefully that thiswould be better? Not really just moreover same... Bunnies with angst.
Ben De Bono
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
It doesn't quite match the impact of the original novel, but it's a welcome and well-written return to the world and characters of Watership Down
  • The Golden Cat (The Wild Road #2)
  • Silverhair (Mammoth, #1)
  • The Mob
  • The Cold Moons
  • Master Mind / Fighting Man (Barsoom, #6-7)
  • Tailchaser's Song
  • Cold Shoulder Road (The Wolves Chronicles, #9)
  • The Heavenly Horse from the Outermost West (Heavenly Horse, #1)
  • Rod Serling's Twilight Zone
  • Dinotopia: The World Beneath
  • The Wainscott Weasel
  • The Book of D'ni (Myst, #3)
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Bambi's Children
  • The Book of Night with Moon (Cats of Grand Central, #1)
  • Haunt Fox
Adams was born in Newbury, Berkshire. From 1933 until 1938 he was educated at Bradfield College. In 1938 he went up to Worcester College, Oxford to read Modern History. On 3 September 1939 Neville Chamberlain announced that the United Kingdom was at war with Germany. In 1940 Adams joined the British Army, in which he served until 1946. He received a class B discharge enabling him to return to Worc ...more
More about Richard Adams...

Watership Down (2 books)
  • Watership Down (Watership Down, #1)

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fire from Heaven (Alexander the Great, #1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Paris Wife
    $11.99 $2.99
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought. J. K. GALBRAITH, The Affluent Society” 2 likes