Start by marking “Behind the Bedroom Wall” as Want to Read:
Behind the Bedroom Wall

Behind the Bedroom Wall

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  3,242 Ratings  ·  219 Reviews
In 1939, ten-year-old Korinna Rehme becomes a member of her local Jungmaedel, a Nazi youth group. She believes that Hitler is helping the world by dealing with what he calls the "Jewish problem." When Korinna discovers that her parents are secretly hiding Jews in their house and helping them to escape the city, she is shocked. And her loyalties are put to an extreme test w ...more
Published June 1st 1996 by Milkweed Editions (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Behind the Bedroom Wall, please sign up.

Eva 811 It didn't really have a name, apart from Tag

booklady
What could possibly be more important than love? Freedom, perhaps? What if everything is taken away from us? These are questions explored in this excellent YA (could easily be read by middle grades) story about the Hitler youth.

1942. Korinna Rehme, very active in her local Jungmadel, a Nazi Youth group, learns her parents are THE ENEMY, i.e., they are hiding Jews. So begins a struggle of conscience, decision-making and growing up for this 13 year old German girl.

Includes brief afterword by the
Yader
Nov 11, 2015 is currently reading it
Shelves: its-good
So far I ahveread a few chapters and it's getting very interesting and it is making me think about it when I am forced to stop reading. So far Katherine is at a difficult choice she can either tell her Germany group that her parents and hiding Jews or she can continue and risk being titled as a betrayer of the mother land.
Abby
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-lit-2012
Plot Summary:

The setting of this story is in Nazi Germany at the beginning of the Holocaust. Korrina is a proud German who is a member of the Fungmadel, which is a youth group for Nazi youth. She and her friends had been taught to make sweet buns, go on nature hikes, and spy on people that seemed un-German in any way. Korrina had recently told her Father that she thought she heard mice behind her bedroom wall. Her father reassured her that he would put out traps and even bought her a cat. To her
anna tippets
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a very unique book. It is about a girl named korianna and her family are all loyal germans. During WW2, she finds out her parents are hiding Jews behind her bedroom wall. She has to decide weither to turn them in, or keep quiet. It was very well writen and was not too long or too short. Overall, i enjoyed it!!!
Bella
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is about a little girl whose parents are protecting a family of Jews during Nazi Germany. The girl has no idea that behind the closet in her room is a secret room where a family is living. She was confused and conflicted on what to do because in school she was being taught that the Jews are the enemy and anyone helping them are breaking the law. Korinna becomes friends with Rachel the young Jewish girl being hidden in her house. When the Nazis become suspicious of Korinna's family they ...more
Art
"Freedom is greater than Love" Without Freedom, you can't choose who or what to love!"
Good look at indoctrination of a people and the youth.
Control of the Press.
Friends remain friends forever, right?
Drawing helps one remember those who have past and helps us look to the future.
"number the stars" "The Devils Arithmetic" The Hiding Place" and many others.
Justin Limardo
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
How would it feel to have your entire religious group persecuted for crimes they had not committed? In the novel Behind the Bedroom Wall, by Laura Williams, this is exactly what happened. All of the events in this story revolve around a German family living in Nazi Germany during World War Two. The novel points out that the beliefs of society are not always correct, and one should not always follow them.
In this story, a girl named Korrina adapts to the society’s views on Jews, but later realize
Hannah Kennie
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Korinna is the main character. Korinna's dad get's her a cat because he say's there's mice in the walls. Korinna looks under a dresser to see if she can find a hole where the mice are climbing through. She see's some hatches. It's a secret door hidden behind the dresser. She open's the door and see's two people. There is an adult and a child. At first she is confused because she thought that her family worshiped and loved Adolf Hitler. Whenever her parent's try to do anything ...more
Rebecca
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle/High Schoolers
Shelves: i-own-it, five-star

Behind the Bedroom Wall by Laura E. Williams is about a 13-year-old German girl named Korianna, and it's set during World War 2. She is very loyal to Hitler and her local Jungmadel, a Nazi youth group. However, everything changes when Korianna finds out that her parents are hiding Jews and helping them escape from Germany. She has to decide who she is loyal to and reconsider everything she has always been told.

I really enjoyed this book because it had a great message and a very exciting plot. I

Cathy
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Nazi Germany from the perspective of a family who tries to hide a Jewish mother and daughter and whose own daughter is a member of one of Hitler's youth groups and sees her parents as traitors. A quick and easy read that reminds us that not all Germans were Nazis and not everyone was afraid to take a stand against them.
Magda
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
The main character is kinda bratty, but not as bad as some of her friends. I like the way the ages are portrayed rather realistically in terms of mood, and overall the book was enjoyable, but it lacked that something that books like Number the Stars have.
barb
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i thought it was wonderful!
Laura really knew how to make the Holocaust a touching and heartwarming story! in the beginning i hated how much the jewish kids were bullied so harshly, but Korinna stepped up and took a risk.
Taressa
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Just finished reading this with my daughters. The main character is close to their age. Great insights into what it was like to live in Nazi Germany during WW II and to be a child in Hilter's youth army.
Alexis
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a good book as well. You'd be amazed of what tho young girl did for a couple of Jews.
smgK8
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is older, but actually does not read that way. It is a really well done middle grade book about the experience of a young girl in Nazi Germany. She is torn between a fierce sense of nationalism (that has been instilled in her from her experiences with Nazi youth groups) and an understanding of what it means to be persecuted. I really (and surprisingly) liked it a lot. The ending is for sure a cliff hanger!!
We are doing a reciprocal teaching unit on the Holocaust in Grade 8 and this boo
Simone
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has been around for a long time, but I only heard about it after one of my sixth graders was so moved by it she insisted I read it. Given the current climate in our country, there are some eerie reflections of Nazi Germany: "Don't worry, Mother. The Fuhrer says it's only a matter of weeks, months, at the most, before Germany will be great again and we will win the war."

This book illustrates, at a super-accessible reading level, the dangers is blindly following ideologies, and the fear
Jesse8/9
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
overall this book was good but there were some things i didn't like. one of them being when korinna went back to school and everyone was mad at her i would have liked a little more detail about that. also at the end it would be better if there was an extra chapter because the ending didn't make any sense but other than that this book was wonderful.
Steph
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this in one sitting. So, so much to think about and talk about... namely this: what's more important? Freedom, or love?

What an amazing addition to the collection of awesome novels out there that bring to light a horrendous time full of Hitler & Nazis & cruelty, but also of bravery & loyalty.

Also, freakin Rita!!!
Erin Howe
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-olympics
A wonderful look at life from a German Girl's prospective of World War II. predictable I thought though.
Tiah
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was very well-written and I enjoyed the plot very much; however, the MC bothered me a little. Overall, a good, middle-grade, book!
Maddy Boulanger
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great book I would totally recommend it to 12+year old girls who are looking for a good book that they can't put down.
Kalsoom
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good middle grade reader about Hitler's youth groups.
Alana
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story, it was about hard to fully understand events, but this was easy to comprehend. I loved this book.
Dhorkavy
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Subject and historical perspective riveting. Construction and characters thin. Read younger than its target audience imo.
Alex Koster
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3rd-quater
This is a really good book about a 15 year old living in nazi Germany when sh discovers her parents are hiding a jew behind her bedroom wall. She has a conflict weather to tell people, or not.
Aleksandra
This is a story set in Nazi Germany just at the onset of the Holocaust. It is about a 13-year-old German girl Korrina, who is a member of a youth Nazi group Jungmadel. Korrina accepts her society’s views about Jews and supports Hitler’s program to solve the “Jewish problem,” even as she sees her Jewish neighbors being taken away. At home, Korrina often hears noises behind the wall, but her father reassures her it’s the mice and buys her a cat. However, one day she discovers that her parents have ...more
Gale
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
TESTING LOYALTIES

Thirteen-year-old Korinna must abruptly come of age—into the harshly adult world of Nazi brutality. One of three close friends she enjoys school and to some extent the special (semi-required) weekly meetings of the Jugend Madel Club: Hitler’s separate youth organizations for Boys and Girls. These meetings promote fierce patriotism to the Fatherland and demand absolute loyalty to the Fuhrer—raising normal national pride to the status of a religious passion. There is no sacrifice
Sarah Crawford
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a story about life in Germany in 1942. The war had already started and Germany seemed to be an unstoppable power. Wars do not affect just soldiers, though; they have an effect on all life in a country and Germany was no exception.

Korianna is a thirteen-year-old girl who is a "good" Nazi youth, a member of the Jungmadel, an organization for children who the Nazi party wanted to make sure had the "proper" ideas and beliefs of a loyal member of the Nazi party.

Korianna is being taught to ha
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Korianna is being taught to hat
Samantha Wagner
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book, Behind the Bedroom Wall, written by Laura E. Williams is a captivating story. It starts with a girl by the name of Korinna Rehme and her two friends heading back from their “club.” This “club” is their local Jungmadel, or Nazi youth group. All three are active and lively members willing to work for the cause being taught. Suddenly though Korinna’s world is turned upside down with the discovery of what’s hiding behind her bedroom wall. She faces many emotional battles on whether or not ...more
Week 5 Historical Ficition 1 4 Oct 16, 2013 01:43PM
Wow 1 17 Nov 11, 2009 05:45AM
  • Torn Thread
  • The Upstairs Room
  • Stones in Water (Stones in Water, #1)
  • Jacob's Rescue: A Holocaust Story