Start by marking “A Study of Ash & Smoke (Fall of the Mantle, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Study of Ash & Smoke (Fall of the Mantle, #1)

A Study of Ash & Smoke (Fall of the Mantle, #1)

Cara should be the queen of Mordoux, but instead she must pretend to be a boy named Carl.

Her father hunts her, and will kill her if he finds her.

Shes trapped with him beneath the Mantle forcefield that isolates the kingdom of Aelland. The only way to elude him is to hide as a male physician's apprentice, keeping her telltale royal hair covered beneath medical robes.

But
Published May 20th 2019

To ask other readers questions about A Study of Ash & Smoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Study of Ash & Smoke

Start your review of A Study of Ash & Smoke (Fall of the Mantle, #1)
Meg Orton
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In the fictional land of Ehrdia lies the Seven Kingdoms. One of these kingdoms is called Aelland where a powerful force-field stretches over the land preventing those inside it from leaving, and those on the outside from entering. This magical force is referred to as the Mantle, and at the centre of it all is a giant Monolith. Under the Mantle in the city of Roicester we meet Carabelle Cara Lenoir who is actually the queen of one of the neighboring kingdoms, Mordoux. In Aelland however she is ...more
Tams
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. The world building is amazing, and I adore how its not easily unpacked, it takes its time in revealing itself to you. It gives the story and world so much more depth done this way, and I really appreciate that. The multiple POVs are fantastic, I love trying to figure out how each character will play a role in the story. This story is so twisty! Secrets and lies; who do you really trust??? I still dont know and I need the next book to come out because I HAVE QUESTIONS. Not ...more
Nerine Dorman
Can't rate 'cos I edited, but I will add that this novel has been one of the high points of my editing career. We've toiled many hours over the development, and I'm so happy for Yolandie that this dream of hers has finally come true. This is a wonderful, immersive steampunk-inspired fantasy adventure.
Candice
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book last night and couldnt help but think about it all day. I loved so many things about it. The incredible world building. The characters described so brilliantly you feel that you know them. The strong female characters. I need to know how this end!!! Cant wait for the next book in this series. Oh almost forgot to mention the bears. It has bears. Even if I didnt love this book so much - I would read it for the bears! ...more
Octothorpe Reader Leora K
Yolandie's writing is smooth and consistent. I thoroughly enjoyed being transported to Mordoux. The world building is vivid, strong, creative and imaginative. Throughout the whole book I could feel the mantle, taste and smell the slums and hear the war-cries.

Well done Yolandie, your writing is impeccable!
Monika Dresen
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book marks the beginning of what I think will become an epic series. The characters are beautifully written and varied.
It combines dystopian, steam punk and fantasy genres to draw you into a world that is created with care.

Definitely a series to keep an eye on.
Luzanne Warren
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a first novel for the author. Keeping that in mind I want to compliment her on the complexity of her writing. This is not something you will find often in first time writers. So well done on that. I initially found this novel difficult to get into. But if you manage to stick with it you will be rewarded with the promise of a great storyline. The entire first book is a build up of what has the potential of a truly amazing storyline.

This high fantasy setting is interesting and resembles
Raquel
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a super read! This was gripping, full of adventure, had great character development, and a bit of a plot twist at the end. I could not put it down. Now I need the sequel!
Di
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5, maybe 3.75 rounded up
Review to follow
Mr Pink Ink
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Epic fantasy at it's best! This story will blow you away!

Extensive world, beautifully written, amazing characters; if you love fantasy, you're going to love this book!

Find my full review here.
Amber Hunter
Aimée Schwartz
Aug 17, 2019

• Keyflame
  • The Deathless Girls
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Romanov
  • The Doll Factory
  • The Raven and the Dove (The Raven and the Dove, #1)
  • Sea Witch (Sea Witch, #1)
  • The Conference of the Birds (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #5)
  • The Inquisition (Summoner, #2)
  • Obernewtyn (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #1)
  • Druid Vices and a Vodka (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #6)
  • The Astonishing Color of After
  • Enchantée (Enchantée, #1)
  • The Battlemage (Summoner, #3)
  • Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1)
  • The Kingdom
  • Rise of Fire (Reign of Shadows, #2)
  • A Brief History of Atlantis: Plato's Ideal State (Brief Histories)
Yolandie Horak can often be found typing away at the computer or nibbling at the end of a paintbrush. When not writing or making art, she spends her time cuddling her daughter and husband, reading, fangirling, or gaming.

She resides in Calgary, Canada, but misses the milk tart and koeksisters she frequently ate in her hometown of Johannesburg, South Africa. Shes currently working on the sequel to