Start by marking “Like Flames in the Night (Cities of Refuge, #4)” as Want to Read:
Like Flames in the Night (Cities of Refuge, #4)

Like Flames in the Night

(Cities of Refuge #4)

Strong-willed Tirzah wants to join her people in driving the enemy from the land of Israel and undergoes training for a secret mission inside the stronghold of Shechem. But soon after she has infiltrated the ruthless Aramean commander's kitchen, she makes a reckless decision that puts her and her allies in grave danger.

Fresh off the battlefield, Liyam returns home to disco
Published March 3rd 2020 by Bethany House Publishers (first published March 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Like Flames in the Night, please sign up.
Abry Yes, but there is a following series that starts with "To Dwell Among Cedars"…moreYes, but there is a following series that starts with "To Dwell Among Cedars"(less)

Start your review of Like Flames in the Night (Cities of Refuge, #4)
Deanne Patterson
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Deanne by: cnnamongirl@aol.com
Once again I was easily transported back into biblical times with Connilyn Cossette's fourth and final book in the Cities of Refuge series. I am sorry to see the closing of the series as I turned the last page in this book but have the delightful memories of reading the series and seeing the characters come to life, some of them grow up and have a stronger faith conviction. I highly recommend reading this series in order for the full complete story.
The book contains spying,uncertainty,suspense,d
Staci
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
Beautiful conclusion to the Cities of Refuge Series. It was wonderful to get up to date on many characters from prior novels.

The beginning of the novel immediately pulled me in. Both to Tirzah and Liyam. Each have tragically lost their spouses and have no living children. This leaves them driven to accomplish their personal goals. Their paths intersect in spectacular fashion.

Having a heroine that is a female spy was plausible and fascinating. I could feel the tension at times as she put herself
Beth
Like Flames in the Night is an engrossing read. It pulled me in with an immediate ease, and the excitement doesn't let up until the end. The plot is just so fun and exciting, full of adventure and tension at many points in the story. Cossette makes the idea of a female spy a plausible one, due to Tirzah's life circumstances, as well as her position as the sister to Hebrew spies and soldiers. I appreciate that both of these characters, Tirzah and Liyam, are more mature characters. They have alrea ...more
Mesu
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Connilyn Cossette has accomplished something few authors can—she’s maintained the quality of the story and held my attention through an entire series. I was sad when I turned the last page of Like Flames in the Night because I knew it was goodbye to these marvelous characters. The two showcased in this story—Tirzah and Liyam—were worthy of the final starring roles.
Tirzah, the sassy little sister of the brothers we’ve fallen in love with, shows both courage and her softer side. Liyam, a new chara
Elizabeth
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Connilyn Cossette has really knocked it out of the park with her entire Cities of Refuge series. Each story was a treat to read and, although I’m sad it has to end, I can easily see myself revisiting this series very soon. Like Flames in the Night deals with big issues like loss and heartache, self-worth, vengeance and forgiveness. There is more than enough intrigue and danger to keep the pages turning and the spy craft will have your heart racing.

I would recommend reading the series in order as
Loraine
"The consequences of our foolish decisions are always made clearer when we look backward on the path we traveled"

"If Mosheh (Moses) would have sent in ten women to spy in Canaan, we might have spent 40 years less in the wilderness."

This final book in the Cities of Refuge was a wonderful conclusion to this incredibly well-written series. The six Cities of Refuge were distributed throughout the Kingdom of Israel in the north and the Kingdom of Judah in the south, along both sides of the Jordan Riv
Sarah Monzon
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO GOOD! Beautifully crafted. Expertly plotted. Intricate characters. Perfectly paced. Sigh. I am in reader heaven.
Monique
Like Flames in the Night by Connilyn Cossette is the fourth and final book in the Cities of Refuge series. We follow both Tirzah (whom we’ve seen grow up in the previous books) and Liyam, a new character. Liyam is a widower who just lost his little daughter, and has sworn vengeance on the man who killed her by driving recklessly. If you’ve read the previous books, you know that Tirzah’s family has a history with blood avengers which might cause some friction...

Tirzah is a very spirited woman, w
Erin Laramore
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a stunning conclusion to this series! Book 4 in the Cities of Refuge series is about Tirzah, the youngest of Moriyah and Darek's children. Fans of the series and the "Out of Egypt" series will be glad to see some familiar faces (my favorite character was back!!!!), but there is enough history in this book that if you haven't read the others, you won't be lost. I would still recommend reading these in order and reading this series after the "Out of Egypt" series in order to BEST enjoy this o ...more
Phyllis
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A stunning conclusion to the series!

Intrigue. Spies. Mercenaries. Vengeance.

Like Flames in the Night is an amazing story that kept me thrilled from the opening sentence to the final period. As Tirzah followed her calling from God and infiltrated the house of the Aramean commander in Shechem to spy out his secrets, I was fascinated. Imagining what it would have been like for this godly woman to be exposed to the debauchery of the people subjugating her land and yet serving them humbly in order to
Caroline
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
What a beautifully crafted story! This is another Cossette masterpiece.

1. Cossette's tantalizing words make the story so immersive and engage all my senses.
2. The spy angle is skillfully done and the parts in Shechem are all edge-of-the-seat exciting.
3. Though the whole book is engaging, I liked the first half more.
4. Bringing Alanah's and Moriyah's kids together is genius. I understand that it would not have been realistic for Alanah or Moriyah to travel far, but I wish they had a reunion.
5. So
Joleen
The story is taken from Judges 3:7 - 11

The series is called Cities of Refuge, but only the last half is about Kedesh, the city in the previous three books. Kedesh had been taken over by the Arameans who were powerful warriors conquering many Hebrew sites turning them into idol-worshipping cities.

Tirzah, the brave, youngest daughter of Moriyah and Darek (from the previous books) became a spy in the city of Shechem to learn secrets which the rising Israelite army could use to defeat the Arameans.
Raechel Lenore
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
And just like that, this lovely series comes to an end. “Like Flames in the Night” is the fourth and final book in the Cities of Refuge series. It was a very good ending, but I am sad to see it all wrapped up and completed. In the best of ways of course. :) These characters have all become so familiar and loved. <3

Tirzah is the central character in this beautiful novel. She is spirited, strong, and quick-witted. She convinces her brother to allow her to be a spy in their work to recover the Land
Tina at Mommynificent
I absolutely loved this strong and powerful conclusion to the Cities of Refuge series! After watching Tirzah grow in the past couple books, it was so fun to have her be the protagonist of this one. I love who she grew to be, her stubbornness and determination, and her love of her people. The new characters brought into this story are compelling, especially Liyam and his family, but it was Odeleya who really stole my heart. I found the themes of forgiveness and redemption to be very moving and ch ...more
Kailey
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
It took me a little bit to get into this book, mainly because I hadn't read the others in the series. There was plenty of detail that helped me figure everything out though. I enjoyed this book after that. I liked Tirzah. She was such a strong character. I plan on reading the other books later so I can read this again. I don't usually read Biblical fiction, but this one was pretty good. I do like the idea of these kinds of books helping us to look a little deeper into Biblical stories.

I received
Ruth
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like Flames in the Night is the fourth and final volume in Connilyn Cossette's stellar Cities of Refuge series. I have so loved following Moriyah and Darek's journey and the lives of their children as they seek to establish a life in the Promised Land. By this volume, many Israelites had forgotten the miracles that brought them to freedom and a homeland and fallen into apostasy and compromise. As the Arameans conquered, killed, and expelled the Israelites from their promised home, the remaining ...more
Lydia Howe
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
If the question was “Who has something exciting and uplifting to share today?” I’d be raising my hand, bouncing in my seat pleading Pick me! Pick me! And then this is what I’d share with you:

RENOWNED AND AWARD-WINNING AUTHOR DOES IT AGAIN!

Then, after the cheering dies down, I’d tell you about how Connilyn Cossette – who I affectionately refer to as The Queen of Biblical Fiction – has published yet another fantastic book.

If you’ve been around Noveltea long, you’d know that I’ve talked about her
Tamara
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic book by Connilyn Cossette. I really enjoyed the City of Refuge series.
MJSH
"Justice without mercy was tyranny, and mercy without justice was lawlessness. Yahweh had created both to work together, for his glory and for our good."

This book's powerful words will remain with you long after its last words have been read. The soul-stirring journey of Liyam's heart will have you weeping, rejoicing, and cheering as he's gently led to understand God's justice, mercy, and forgiveness. The two first-person point of view from Tirzah and Liyam flows seamlessly to create a masterpie
Clara
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
What can I say, I am overcome with joy Connilyn Cossette decided to write one more book for the Cities of Refuge series. Surely it would have been incomplete without Like Flames in the Night as this is her best yet -- and I do not say that lightly.

No, Moriyah has come a looong way since "A Light on the Hill". Her family has come a long way.
Facing hostility, grief, and animosity, they've lived as fugitives, with Moriyah in particular unable to leave the walls of Kedesh, but that never stopped her
Gracie
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a breath-taking and inspiring conclusion to an amazing series.

The Cities of Refuge Series has taken me through many journeys of hope, second-chances, love, and faith. But Like Flames in the Night brought the story full circle in a way that captured my heart and thrilled me to my soul.

With a message of conviction and redemption so vital especially in today's world, Tirzah and Liyam's journey is one that won't be soon forgotten. It forced me to look inward and challenged me to consider some
Rebecca
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
" . . the woman standing before me now, . . . .was no cowering shadow. She was magnificent."

Tirzah was determined to make a difference. Convincing her older brother Malakhi to train her as a soldier spy, she left home equipped with the necessary skills to infiltrate the stronghold of Shechem, prepared to become a conduit of information; confident that she could glean enemy secrets tossed out among careless conversations around the commander's table, where she would serve as a dutiful servant. H
Rosalyn
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the incredible 4th book in the Cities of Refuge series. I absolutely loved it. I think it's my new favorite Connilyn Cossette book.

Tirzah is an amazing heroine. Strong, determined, feisty. I enjoy reading about people who are real. Not necessarily perfect, but portrayed in a way that they are very relatable and easy to understand. Tirzah is one that I would like to have known, and have as a friend.

She's come through some hard things. She wants to do things that are not normally allowed f
Betti
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One lone flame does little to push back the darkness, but many little flames will soon create a blaze that will defeat the darkness.

Wow! What an incredible finish to the Cities of Refuge series. There is suspense, spying, mercy, forgiveness and unconditional love - Yahweh for His people, Tirzah for Odeleya and the many who die to redeem their land. Tirzah is a young widow who is skillful, dedicated and a fast learner. She wants to help in the fight against the Aramean occupation of Judah’s citie
Susan
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Expertly plotted, Cossette fleshes out stories that are briefly mentioned in the Bible, expertly blending fiction with spiritual truths. Cossette's beautifully written tale of Tirzah's and Liyam's journeys of faith in Like Flames in the Night, is compelling. The hero/heroine are both strong characters- each willing to sacrifice their own lives for the sake of the Hebrew people, fighting for God's promises in the Promise Land. I love how they encouraged others to embrace and fight for God's etern ...more
Anne
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“I’d slipped into places far more dangerous than Liyam’s broken heart.”

Like Flames in the Night is the arresting conclusion to Cossette’s Cities of Refuge series. This is by far one of the best biblical fiction stories I have had the pleasure to read. The author paints extraordinary word pictures.

“She was like wine to my blood and breath to my dead bones.”

Wow. So many times I had to stop and just soak in the beauty of the words I was reading. Overflowing with rich history and vividly drawn char
Christie
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biblical-fiction
I have enjoyed all of the books in this series and am sad I won't be "seeing" these characters again. This story introduces some new characters that are just as strong & lovable as characters earlier in the series. This book focuses on the time when the Arameans conquered the Promised Land and oppressed the Hebrews. Othniel and his army are working to take back the land with the help of an unlikely heroine.

I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher. I was under no obligation to
Jeanie
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The smallest of sparks bring the collective flame that is unstoppable.

City of Refuge series speaks to the heart of the gospel in the Old Testament account of the enemies of Israel. The story continues with the youngest daughter Tirzah. A widow because of the endless fighting. She lives with her parents who have established their faith to fight the enemies of God. The storyline brings into context this time of Israel history that goes along scripture. Her father has indicated that Tirzah must ma
Jenna Van
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It is a beautiful thing when characters from books and figments from other imaginary worlds can impact us so much, that by the time we turn the last page and close the cover, it feels more like we're saying goodbye to a dearly loved friend than "just another story." That's how I felt after finishing Like Flames in the Night, Book #4 in the Cities of Refuge series by Connilyn Cossette.

The Cities of Refuge series by Connilyn Cossette centers around the life of Moriyah (a fictional character who fi
Sam B
I have been very lucky to be part of Connilyn Cossette's launch team since her very first book released. This one is now her seventh book and the fourth and final one in the Cities of Refuge series.

Once again, the author has outdone herself. She is one of the few authors I would buy books from without reading reviews, knowing what the story is about or even seeing the cover of the book! She is that talented.

This has been an emotional ending to the series for me, because I had to bid farewell to
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Daughter of Rome
  • Daughter of Cana (Jerusalem Road, #1)
  • Isaiah's Legacy (Prophets and Kings #3)
  • Star of Persia: Esther's Story
  • The Shepherd's Wife (Jerusalem Road, #2)
  • Harvest of Gold (Harvest of Rubies, #2)
  • King's Shadow: A Novel of King Herod's Court
  • Harvest of Rubies (Harvest of Rubies, #1)
  • The Runaway Bride (The Bride Ships, #2)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • Egypt's Sister: A Novel of Cleopatra (The Silent Years, #1)
  • Jerusalem's Queen: A Novel of Salome Alexandra (The Silent Years, #3)
  • Isaiah's Daughter (Prophets and Kings, #1)
  • Thief of Corinth
  • Pearl in the Sand
  • Claiming Canaan: Milcah's Journey (The Daughters of Zelophehad, #3)
  • Of Fire and Lions (Prophets and Kings, #2)
Connilyn Cossette is a Christy Award and Carol Award winning author whose books have been found on both ECPA and CBA bestseller lists. When she is not engulfed in the happy chaos of homeschooling two teenagers, devouring books whole, or avoiding housework, she can be found digging into the rich ancient world of the Bible to discover gems of grace that point to Jesus and weaving them into an immers ...more

Cities of Refuge (4 books)
  • A Light on the Hill (Cities of Refuge, #1)
  • Shelter of the Most High (Cities of Refuge, #2)
  • Until the Mountains Fall (Cities of Refuge, #3)

News & Interviews

“The consequences of our foolish decisions are always made clearer when we look backward on the path we've traveled.” 3 likes
“Why had I ever felt the need to strive for worthiness when my abba's love was so plainly unconditional and boundless?” 2 likes