Start by marking “The Memory Cathedral: A Secret History of Leonardo Da Vinci” as Want to Read:
The Memory Cathedral: A Secret History of Leonardo Da Vinci

The Memory Cathedral: A Secret History of Leonardo Da Vinci

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
This unforgettable, magical novel takes for its premise an inspired bit of speculation based firmly in history: Leonardo da Vinci's conception of a marvelous flying machine. Set against the colorful backdrop of Italy and Persia in the 1400s, The Memory Cathedral masterfully calls forth a dazzling era when magic and science were one and the same.
Published November 1st 1996 by Bantam (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Memory Cathedral, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Memory Cathedral

Carmen
Jul 24, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I found this book to be much too pulp-fiction-ish...too much drama and attention given to name dropping and setting the scene with not enough character building.
Betita
Jun 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: emprestado
TOMO I
Este sim é um verdadeiro Romance Histórico!!!
Já tive oportunidade de ler outros livros onde me cruzava com os ilustres personagen de Florença na altura de Leonardo Da Vinci, mas nunca em tão grande número.
É-nos apresentado um vasto desfile de personagens Históricas, desde os famosos Médicis aos seus etenos inimigos Pazzi e também um grande numero de Pintores, Escultores e não só, que marcaram todo o mundo com a sua Arte.
Leonardo Da Vinci é-nos apresentado como um aprendiz que em vez de se
Natalia
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I became interested in this book, mainly because I'm a big fan of the life and work of Leonardo Da Vinci, so I didn't need many doubts and bought the book, almost ate it and have no regrets, because I think that I really liked, knowing the young Leonardo, a young man almost unknown to many, because their are few self-portraits of his old age and not from his youth (unless note Verrocchio's David, whose features are based on Leonardo).

I think the customs of Florence in the Renaissance period, ap
Tracey
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
The Memory Cathedral is a fictional account of the missing year in Leonardo da Vinci's life.

The novel is richly detailed, brilliantly researched and wholly believable. Yet it falls flat on several levels for me. It takes an exceedingly long time to come to the missing year. A great deal of political intrigue and relationships are explored. They are interesting but the characters all blended into one.

I hated Machiavelli as he was a little know it all twerp, da Vinci was a broken hearted jilted
Evie Maiolo
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Based on historical facts about Leonardo da Vinci, the author creates an imaginative story to fill in the gap of 4 years that are missing in Leonardo's historical records.

Using letters written by da Vinci, which suggest he spent these years in the Middle East, Jack Dann weaves an amazing tale of invention, flying machines, war, suspense, and escape. The historic figures in this novel - Leonardo, Botticelli, The Medici family, the Turks - are aptly woven into the
Ramón Cornejo-Muñoz
Entretenido relato ficticio en donde Leonardo da Vinci convive con Maquiavelo, Rafael, Sandro Boticelli y Simonetta, quienes viven una apasionante drama junto a la familia Medici. Finalmente, se muestra, en base a diversas teorías, cuáles fueron las andanzas de Leonardo durante sus años perdidos en que sólo la suposición hace que los historiadores puedan entender que ocurrió con uno de los hombres más famosos y a la vez eclécticos de la historia.

Es un libro recomendable para quien le interese el
Salina
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book was a little slow, I did not love it. However, it taught me things about da Vinci that I did not previously know. I like that part of it. it took me 16 months to read this, therefor showing my lack of interest. Perhaps I need to re read it and a little quicker this time. Maybe I will like it more.
Marvin
Aug 13, 2009 rated it liked it
A historical novel that speculates about possible events in a missing year in the life of Leonardo da Vinci. The author speculates that Leonardo built a successful flying machine & used it & other engineering creations in war. It's a violent, earthy, even raunchy book.
Michael
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lovely.

Thanks go out to my brother Richard for giving me this one as a Xmas present.
Jess Cullinan
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it
The first half of the book was very engaging, but the rest of it is one gratuitously bloody battle after another. Bleah.
Mariam Blanc
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very interesting, easy to read
Chris
Jan 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Chris by: my art history teacher, Sharon.
still reading - I really love the portrayal of the memory cathedral, a place you create and store your memories. Wow, Leonardo was apparently very 2000ish. Brain research shows such things do work.
Elizabeth
Mar 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Well researched and interesting. The author found a good angle and does a good job weaving a tale around it.
Francisco
No se porque lo lei. No se si es fantasia, historia o que.
Daina Valeine
Tīri subjektīvi nepatika... līdz galam neizlasīju.
Laszlo
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Extending the possibilities, refuting Fraud ( totally agree! !) Enjoyable exploration of the present
future !
Marina Arakelyan
Aug 13, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Innamorati
  • El taller de los libros prohibidos
  • The Stars Dispose
  • The Plains of Passage, Part 1 of 2 (Earth's Children, #4)
  • The Miracles of Prato
  • O Labirinto de Água
  • Catherine of Lyonesse
  • The Two-Space War
  • Melchior's Fire (Three Kings, #2)
  • Venus of Dreams
  • The Patron Saint of Plagues
  • Cosm
  • A Escrava de Córdova
  • Caravaggio: A Life
  • I, Michelangelo, Sculptor
  • Best Sex Writing 2012: The State of Today's Sexual Culture
  • A Passagem - Volume I (The Passage #1, Part 1 of 2)
  • Time Machines Repaired While-U-Wait