Start by marking “Death Comes to the Nursery (Kurland St. Mary Mystery #7)” as Want to Read:
Death Comes to the Nursery (Kurland St. Mary Mystery #7)

Death Comes to the Nursery

(Kurland St. Mary Mystery #7)

Delighted by the quiet uproar of raising their newborn, Lady Lucy and Major Sir Robert Kurland could not be more pleased at the prospect of welcoming another into their home. But their preparations are soon overshadowed by a baffling case of murder . . .

Published January 28th 2020 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Death Comes to the Nursery, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Death Comes to the Nursery (Kurland St. Mary Mystery #7)
Dale Harcombe
Three and a half stars.
Although this is book seven in a series this was my first introduction to Lucy and Robert Kurland, parents to two year old Ned. When Agnes, Ned’s current nursery staff suggests her cousin Polly, Lucy is happy to accommodate this suggestion, since she is expecting again. The beautiful young woman who arrives from London, provokes jealousy and passion among some of the male servants. Then one day she fails to return to the estate. Later a body is found. Suddenly it appears t
JoAn
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I enjoyed reading this seventh book in this cozy historical mystery series. Robert and Lucy are well developed now and I love that Robert has begun to soften around the edges. The plot is smoothly paced and the mystery surrounding the murder becomes quite complex as Robert and Lucy search for the killer.
I received this book from my public library.
Sophia
Audiobook Review

Robert and Lucy Kurland have returned home after their latest murder mystery adventure in Bath, but the quiet at home is broken when a devastatingly gorgeous woman arrives to take the place of their baby son's nursery maid and sets all the local male population in an uproar. Then there is a murder and Robert and Lucy are once again determined to get to the truth of the matter.

Death Comes to the Nursery is the seventh in the series that progresses along through the life of the Kur
Barbara Rogers
Series: Kurland St. Mary Mystery #7
Publication Date: 1/28/2018
Number of Pages: 304

It has been a little over a year since the last book in this series, Death Comes To Bath, and I was beginning to suffer from anxiety pangs waiting for this one. This is an absolutely delightful series and this book was a terrific addition. It has been wonderful watching Robert and Lucy’s relationship grow and mature. Robert has mellowed – at least a tad – from the taciturn curmudgeon we first met and Lucy has settl
QNPoohBear

Lucy and Robert are finally parents. Their two-year-old son Ned is a delight, in spite of his fearless fascination with horses. (Poor Robert!) They are delighted to be expecting again around Christmastime and eager to fill the nursery with more staff before the happy event occurs. Ned's nursemaid Agnes recommends her cousin Polly for the job. Unfortunately Polly's looks make her a regular Helen of Troy and all the men of the staff fight over her. They also fight with the ostler at the i
Ceki
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
The crime was a bit weird and far-stretched IMO in this book. I guess I prefer when the mystery is within the community rather than introducing a bunch of strangers from London. However, the plot twists were done right and I couldn't guess who the culprit or the culrpits are.
I hope the author will continue with the series because the main couple is just so cute! <3
Rekha
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
The plot is pretty good but I cannot say the same about the story. The characters are just okay. I wish Lucy-Robert were better at sleuthing - I did not like the fact that they were bent on proving the 'accused' guilty rather than looking for more suspects.

Also, their findings and talk gets repetitive at times and this could have been avoided. The story starts on a good note, falls flat in the middle and ends well. I didn't find the characters captivating nor did I like their sleuthing style.
Lauren
Death Comes to the Nursery
4 Stars

When the body of their new nursemaid is discovered brutally murdered in a local farmer's field, Lady Lucy Kurland and her husband, Sir Robert, are determined to catch the culprit even if the killer is someone closer to home . . .

The mystery is rather straightforward with a number of red herrings to keep the reader guessing. That said, a seasoned mystery reader might be able to figure it all out as the killer does fit a common stereotype.

Once again, the relation
Janet
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Delighted by the quiet uproar of raising their newborn, Lady Lucy and Major Sir Robert Kurland could not be more pleased at the prospect of welcoming another into their home. But their preparations are soon overshadowed by a baffling case of murder.
Once known to all in her village as the rector’s daughter, Lucy is now a mother herself—to a wonderful eighteen-month-old son, Ned. Upon discovering that she is expecting a second child, Lucy and Robert are delighted. In anticipation of the new arriv
Dallass
Susan in NC
Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it
This entry was ok, I’ve read every book in the series and enjoyed some more than others. I think my pleasure was marred somewhat by listening to the audiobook; the narrator wasn’t terrible, she did most characters quite well, but she made Sir Robert just sound like such a rigid bore!

I mean, granted, he’s a former cavalry officer, and a great deal of the pleasure I’ve found in the series has been the uptight Darcy/strong-willed Lizzie vibe from Robert and Lucy, now married and expecting their se
Toni
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: january-2020-tbr
4.5 Stars

This is the seventh book in the Kurland St. Mary mystery series by Catherine Lloyd.

Just when I think I have heard of every cozy mystery series in existence, another great one pops up and lands at my feet.

This is a historical cozy set in what I believe is Victorian England. You probably need to go into this knowing that particular fact since not everyone is a historical cozy lover.

I can’t believe they have gotten to book seven before I’ve ever even heard of this series. What a little ge
Kiki Z
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-5-stars
I've repeatedly said I'm going to give up on this series, and then the next book comes out...

To be fair, this is a much better entry than several of the previous ones. That being said, I suspected the killer from their first appearance. There are few viable suspects, so it's not that hard. I'm also really getting sick books about men killing off beautiful women they can't have. The mystery was the main focus, which was good, but it wasn't that complicated of a mystery either, given the culprit a
cozycratebox
Not my usual style of cozy. Enjoyed how story was told. Lucy and Robert investigate the missing nanny and find that other women have been murdered to cover up the identity of the killer. Lucy is an excellent partner for Robert to solve this mystery and together they solve this and bring a family secret into the open.
Eden
2020 bk 254 Lloyd keeps getting better and better. I love reading and watching her characters grow into themselves and their relationships with each other. The mystery elements are well designed and keep my interest going as I try to figure out who dunit ahead of the ending. I only succeed in about 1/3 of the books so far. Excellent author and read.
Beth
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite mystery series. In 1825 England, Sir Robert and Lady Lucy Kurland are now the proud parents of 2-year-old Ned. When Ned's beautiful nursemaid is found murdered on their property, Robert & Lucy investigate. The young woman was not who she seemed to be, and the mystery leads to London. The mystery in this book wasn't quite as strong as some others, but the real pleasure for me is spending time with these characters. I look forward to the next installment. ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
The nursery was filled with cute baby animals!
Laurie
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Number 7 in the Kurland St. Mary Mysteries, one of my favorite series! This did not disappoint!
Cherry London
This husband and wife team seems to be way over their heads when it comes to investigating a crime on their own watch. They bumbled their way through every search for clues until their naiveness almost did them a fatal blow. The murderer was a step ahead of them all the time and they hadn’t a clue. The story was well written, with characters that did justice to the storyline. This husband and wife sleuthing team were just not captivating enough me.
Kimberly

The Kurland St. Mary mysteries are some of my favorite cozies. They are reliably good, if a bit predictable. These books are like a comfortable chair and I look forward to the new releases all year long. I love the characters, and their evolution throughout the series, but this installment feels a bit stale. The pace is too slow in the middle, even with an interesting premise, and the characters are playing their too established roles. However, the conclusion is action-packed and more than makes
Homerun2
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads

This is a nicely done historical mystery series, set in a small English village and featuring the once irascible but now a bit mellowed Sir Robert Kurland and his excellent wife Lucy, daughter of the local vicar. The pair are quite domesticated now as parents to a small boy, particularly with Lucy expecting again. But they have an unusually (and perhaps not quite realistic) equal relationship and there's a fair amount of jousting for position which is quite fun to witness.

They decide
Alicia
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it

The seventh Kurland St Mary mystery has a murder closer to home, when the new nursery maid—a very pretty girl who all the local men are fighting over—is found dead. The mystery elements were good enough, though a bit all over the place, but Lloyd is hitting the same character beats as in the last couple so it’s not super interesting. I mean, it’s fine, but the characters need some new friends and neighbors or something. B.

__
A review copy was provided by th
Susan
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
1825, Kurland Hall. As Lucy, Lady Kurland is expecting her second child and she is delighted when Agnes, her current nursery nurse recommends her cousin Polly Carter to help in the nursery. But Polly's ways bring trouble to the Hall and Village of Kurland St. Mary, ending in her body being discovered in a ditch on the Estate. Sir Robert and Lucy investigate.
Another entertaining and well-written histroical mystery which is not fully resolved until the end. The cast of characters in this series ar
Sercalunna Pautasso
It's the first story I read in this series and I am happy I discovered this new to me series.
The story flows, the characters are likable and the mystery is solid.
I recommend it.
I received this ARC from the publisher via Netgalley in Exchange for a honest review.
Lori
Aug 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Gail
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Kurland St. Mary Mysteries are gems in the historical cozy landscape, and I have happily read each entry. Some time has elapsed since the last book and, in the seventh, Lucy and Sir Robert are the parents of 18-month-old Ned and are expecting their second child, necessitating hiring more help in the nursery. "Help" comes in the form of a beautiful young woman called Polly claiming to be the cousin of Agnes, the current nursery maid.

"Polly" has many secrets, and one of them winds up getting h
Ann
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it

Susan
This is one of my favorite historical series set in the Victorian period. After six books, this one may just be my favorite in the series. Lucy and her husband, Sir Robert are the happy parents of a toddler and soon little Ned with have a sibling. Another child will require more staff so Lucy starts to look for an additional nursery maid. When Agnes mentions that her cousin Polly would be a good choice the decision is made and Polly joins the family. She brings chaos with her and soon every male ...more
Katie
This series is so hit or miss for me. I think I keep coming back because I like the main characters. But the writing felt sloppy. Certain things just don't make any sense. At one point, they discover the dead body, and show them going to see Dr. Fletcher, interviewing some servants, going through the deceased's belongings, and being called back to town. Once they're there, they say that it's been three days since the death, but each one of those previous events are portrayed as being directly af ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Silent Stabbing (A Lady & Lady's Maid Mystery #5)
  • A Deception at Thornecrest (Amory Ames #7)
  • Murder at the Opera (Atlas Catesby, #3)
  • And Dangerous to Know (Rosalind Thorne Mysteries #3)
  • Murder at Blackwater Bend (A Stella and Lyndy Mystery, #2)
  • A Lady's Guide to Mischief and Murder (Countess of Harleigh Mystery, #3)
  • A Map of Days (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #4)
  • A Stroke of Malice (Lady Darby Mystery, #8)
  • A Lady Compromised (Rosalind Thorne, #4)
  • A Pretty Deceit (Verity Kent #4)
  • Cometh the Hour (Tales of the Iclingas #1)
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • A Study in Murder (A Victorian Book Club Mystery #1)
  • A Royal Affair (Sparks & Bainbridge Mystery #2)
  • Murder at Queen's Landing (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery #4)
  • Lady Takes the Case (Manor Cat Mystery #1)
  • Murder at the Mena House (A Jane Wunderly Mystery #1)
  • Paper Wife
Catherine Lloyd was born just outside London, England, into a large family of dreamers, artists, and history lovers. She completed her education with a master’s degree in history at the University College of Wales, Aberystwyth, and uses the skills she gained there to research and write her historical mysteries. Catherine currently lives in Hawaii with her husband and youngest daughter..

Please not

Kurland St. Mary Mystery (8 books)
  • Death Comes to the Village (Kurland St. Mary Mystery, #1)
  • Death Comes to London (Kurland St. Mary Mystery, #2)
  • Death Comes To Kurland Hall (Kurland St. Mary Mystery, #3)
  • Death Comes to the Fair (Kurland St. Mary Mystery, #4)
  • Death Comes to the School (Kurland St. Mary Mystery #5)
  • Death Comes to Bath (Kurland St. Mary Mystery #6)
  • Death Comes to the Rectory (Kurland St. Mary Mystery, #8)