Start by marking “Forest of Souls (Shamanborn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Forest of Souls (Shamanborn, #1)

Forest of Souls

(Shamanborn #1)

Danger lurks within the roots of Forest of Souls, an epic, unrelenting tale of destiny and sisterhood, perfect for fans of Naomi Novik and Susan Dennard.

Sirscha Ashwyn comes from nothing, but she’s intent on becoming something. After years of training to become the queen’s next royal spy, her plans are derailed when shamans attack and kill her best friend Saengo.

And then
Expected publication: June 23rd 2020 by Page Street Kids

To ask other readers questions about Forest of Souls, please sign up.
Amber Just a duology (at least at the moment)! :)…moreJust a duology (at least at the moment)! :) (less)

Start your review of Forest of Souls (Shamanborn, #1)
Lori
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
To request an ARC, please send an email with your info to Lauren Cepero at laurenc@pagestreetpublishing.com

To request via NetGalley: https://www.netgalley.com/catalog/boo...

The first line of this book: "The earth is black with last night's rain--a perfect morning for shadows."

Thematically, Forest of Souls is about fighting to belong against every effort to push you out. It's about loyalty driven by insecurity and searching for self worth. It's about unconditional female friendship. It's also
♠ TABI ♠
someone yeet me into 2020 so I can land at the feet of this book and its flawless cover

♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡ (semi-hiatus)
Why does every book in 2020 seem to have gorgeous cover? This year I think I'm broke already but next year, I bet I'm gonna go bankrupt. ...more
A.G. Howard
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lori Lee has a gift for writing relatable characters and crafting intricate worlds and magic. And that villain ... *shudders*

Looking forward to the next book in the series!
Sarah Henning
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enchanting world-building, non-stop action, political intrigue, and dark magic are woven into the silky-yet-fast-paced daydream of a fantasy that is FOREST OF SOULS. Using shadows and light, Lori M. Lee casts the perfect web of unforgettable characters and an intriguing plot—you won’t want to escape.
Stephanie L (catteabooks)
I normally don't prefer people on book covers, but she looks like she could kill me so
Julie
Jan 01, 2020 added it
Epic and exciting. Don't miss this one!
faith ✨
Nov 27, 2019 marked it as 2020-publications
all i have to say is . . . charlie bowater is really doing it for us
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Ooo I must say a lot of my TBR YA books have been impressing me with their covers lately
Joanna Bennett
Review to Come.

Still trying to process all my feelings!
Andrea Wang
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-by-poc, ya, poc, fantasy
Sirscha Ashwyn is an orphan intent on acquiring prestige and power by becoming the Queen's Shadow, who operates as the Queen's advisor and spy. Sirscha is a soldier in the Queen's Company, which is described as a "military finishing school." She has also already been tapped to train in secret with the current Shadow, raising her hopes that she'll be officially named the Shadow's apprentice any day now. But a routine trip to take criminals to the prison camp goes horribly awry, and her best ...more
Megan ❀
Oct 03, 2019 marked it as tbr-unreleased
This cover is EVERYTHING!!!
Amber
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: would-die-for
2nd read: 22nd February 2020
I forgot just how much I loved this world and the characters. I'm so so encapsulated by this story, it owns a very special place in my heart

1st read: 19th December 2019

Oh.... My.... God!!!
I mean, the first thing I have to say about this book is LOOK AT THAT COVER!! Stunning, my baby Sirscha
Okay so, I'm no reviewer or anything but my thoughts :
Firstly, Sirscha is SUCH a good MC. She's strong willed, kind, compassionate and a total bad ass. Her love that she shows
ax
May 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
asian fantasy with shamanism??? spider king?? sign me the fuck up
((also the author's short story in a thousand beginnings and endings was fucking amazing))
Annie (Putt)
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
I received an eARC from Netgalley for my honest review.

I DNFed at 34%, approximately page 136.

This book reads like a rough draft. I really wanted to like it. The premise was promising and sounded like it would be a darker ya fantasy with some political intrigue and interesting magic, but it’s just bad.

The world building is sloppy. Politics are handled clumsily and situations broken down into simplistic reasons. It’s explained in the beginning of the story that the shamanborn suddenly became
Shealea
Jan 16, 2020 marked it as to-read
* I received a digital ARC of this book (via NetGalley) from its publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Pre-order links: Amazon | Book Depository

My links: Blog | Instagram | Twitter
Rebecca Crunden
Dec 15, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
Well, doesn't this just sound super freaking cool.
Sharon L
Nov 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
This cover, damn....
Ashley
Dec 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-june
W. T. F!!!!

Where have i been to just hear about this?!? Holy hell this sounds in-cred-i-ble.
abbeyッ
Jan 08, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: tbr-fantasy
dear god that cover is gorgeous
Aggie
Oct 06, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
HMONG!??!?! FINALLY SOMETHING RELATEABLE!!!!~ Riding the hype train all the way to 2020! B^)

#SupportAsianAuthors
Brittany Smith
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it
This hits somewhere between a 3 and 4 stars.
I think the world building was very solid, but the magic system was a bit too similar to other things I’ve read to be very captivating to me.
The plot and conflict was engaging and I was interested enough to WANT to know what happens, I liked the protagonist and her friend and their struggles but those seemed to be the only characters of note that didn’t go missing, leave, or get killed off. There wasn’t any romance in the book which was refreshing.
It
Beccalou73
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
*This book was given to me by NetGalley in return for an honest review*

So I really had to fight for this one, every time I downloaded it, it was scrambled. I emailed Netgalley and they just sent me instructions on how to download books, then I emailed the publisher (I really wanted this book) and after a few back and forth's, I got my hands on this gem. All of it was worth it, action, intrigue, complicated magic system, but my favorite was the friendship between Sirscha and Saengo. So great
Tânia
Nov 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
There are no words to describe how freaking pretty this cover is.

Blog // Instagram // Twitter // Redbubble

Prong  Praison
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well now I'm so pump up to read this. Totally on the same page with the writer. I love fantasy but there aren't any asian in fantasy books lol. I would love to see more Asian in fantasy book so I can relate more with the character!
Amy
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So glad I picked this up as my first YA read for the year. The title and cover are perfect for this book. Magical, fantasy, action all the way with great characters! The creepy Dead Wood was depicted horrifically awesome! My only despair is that I’ll have to wait for book 2 now!!
Kennedy
Feb 12, 2020 marked it as to-read
This just may be one of my favorite book covers...ever?? It’s just so stunning. Like wow. I’m usually not one for covers with characters on them but this is so well done! I’m definitely excited to read this one.
Doris Raines
Feb 18, 2020 rated it did not like it
I DONT LIKE THIS BOOK.
Ashley Holdren  | *Whimsies of a Nerd Girl ~ Fantasy Book Blogger
Is anyone else getting Grishaverse vibes from this? The plot sounds similar minus the different Grisha magic.
☀︎Elena In Oz☀︎
I’m hyped for this, and I hope it meets my expectations of becoming a new favourite ...more

• Shielded (Shielded, #1)
  • House of Dragons (House of Dragons, #1)
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Hood
  • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • Empress of All Seasons
  • The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • The Kingdom of Back
  • Beyond the Shadowed Earth
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Set the Stars Alight
Lori is an avid writer, reader, artist, and lover of unicorns. She should probably spend less time on the internet (but she won't). She considers herself a unicorn aficianado, is fond of talking in capslock, and loves to write about magic, manipulation, and family.

Shamanborn (2 books)
  • Untitled (Shamanborn, #2)