Start by marking “Forest of Souls (Shamanborn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Forest of Souls (Shamanborn, #1)

Forest of Souls

(Shamanborn #1)

Danger lurks within the roots of Forest of Souls, an epic, unrelenting tale of destiny and sisterhood, perfect for fans of Naomi Novik and Susan Dennard.

Sirscha Ashwyn comes from nothing, but she’s intent on becoming something. After years of training to become the queen’s next royal spy, her plans are derailed when shamans attack and kill her best friend Saengo.

And then
Expected publication: June 23rd 2020 by Page Street Kids

To ask other readers questions about Forest of Souls, please sign up.
Amber Just a duology (at least at the moment)! :)…moreJust a duology (at least at the moment)! :) (less)

Start your review of Forest of Souls (Shamanborn, #1)
Lori
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
To request an ARC, please fill out this form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FA...

To request via NetGalley: https://www.netgalley.com/catalog/boo...

The first line of this book: "The earth is black with last night's rain--a perfect morning for shadows."

Thematically, Forest of Souls is about fighting to belong against every effort to push you out. It's about loyalty driven by insecurity and searching for self worth. It's about unconditional female friendship. It's also about a spy-in-training
♠ TABI ♠
someone yeet me into 2020 so I can land at the feet of this book and its flawless cover

♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡ (semi-hiatus)
Why does every book in 2020 seem to have gorgeous cover? This year I think I'm broke already but next year, I bet I'm gonna go bankrupt. ...more
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
Oct 03, 2019 marked it as tbr-unreleased
Shelves: 2020-releases
I’m a hoe for a beautiful illustrated cover let’s be honest.

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | BlogLovin’
Sarah Henning
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enchanting world-building, non-stop action, political intrigue, and dark magic are woven into the silky-yet-fast-paced daydream of a fantasy that is FOREST OF SOULS. Using shadows and light, Lori M. Lee casts the perfect web of unforgettable characters and an intriguing plot—you won’t want to escape.
Julie
Jan 01, 2020 added it
Epic and exciting. Don't miss this one!
Stephanie L (catteabooks)
I normally don't prefer people on book covers, but she looks like she could kill me so
faith ✨
Nov 27, 2019 marked it as 2020-publications
all i have to say is . . . charlie bowater is really doing it for us
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Ooo I must say a lot of my TBR YA books have been impressing me with their covers lately
Megan ❀
Oct 03, 2019 marked it as tbr-unreleased
This cover is EVERYTHING!!!
Andrea Wang
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, poc, ya, ya-by-poc
Sirscha Ashwyn is an orphan intent on acquiring prestige and power by becoming the Queen's Shadow, who operates as the Queen's advisor and spy. Sirscha is a soldier in the Queen's Company, which is described as a "military finishing school." She has also already been tapped to train in secret with the current Shadow, raising her hopes that she'll be officially named the Shadow's apprentice any day now. But a routine trip to take criminals to the prison camp goes horribly awry, and her best ...more
axel
May 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
asian fantasy with shamanism??? spider king?? sign me the fuck up
((also the author's short story in a thousand beginnings and endings was fucking amazing))
Amber
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: would-die-for
Oh.... My.... God!!!
I mean, the first thing I have to say about this book is LOOK AT THAT COVER!! Stunning, my baby Sirscha
Okay so, I'm no reviewer or anything but my thoughts :
Firstly, Sirscha is SUCH a good MC. She's strong willed, kind, compassionate and a total bad ass. Her love that she shows towards certain characters is so heartwarming 3
The setting and world building of this book is beautiful! The glossary at the front really helps as it was a bit confusing at first but I had that to
Ashley
Dec 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-june
W. T. F!!!!

Where have i been to just hear about this?!? Holy hell this sounds in-cred-i-ble.
Shealea
Jan 16, 2020 marked it as to-read
* I received a digital ARC of this book (via NetGalley) from its publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Sharon L
Nov 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
This cover, damn....
abbeyッ
Jan 08, 2020 marked it as to-read
dear god that cover is gorgeous
Aggie
Oct 06, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
HMONG!??!?! FINALLY SOMETHING RELATEABLE!!!!~ Riding the hype train all the way to 2020! B^)

#SupportAsianAuthors
Rebecca Crunden
Dec 15, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
Well, doesn't this just sound super freaking cool.
Julie-Ann Johnson
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started writing this review as soon as I finished Forest of Souls but I decided to sleep on it- because I was a) confused, and b) torn between a rating. In the end I have to give it a 4/5, leaning towards a 3.9.

The first thing I have to say is that this was a beautiful and enchanting book. It read like a carefully crafted fairy tale that wrapped its vines so tight around you that you just had to finish it. The world-building was lush and on point, and the overall plot was very intriguing. I
natalie | alchemyandink -
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I really enjoyed this as my first read of the year. Forest of Souls is action packed, has incredible world building, and unique and interesting characters. Sirscha and Saengo have one of my favorite friendships I've ever come across in a YA novel. The pacing in this book was flawless, it was the perfect amount of action and exposition. The Dead Wood (a forest of trapped souls) was such a unique and terrifying concept, I really enjoyed any scenes taking place there. I do wish there was a
Tânia
Nov 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
There are no words to describe how freaking pretty this cover is.

Blog // Instagram // Twitter // Redbubble

Prong Praison
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well now I'm so pump up to read this. Totally on the same page with the writer. I love fantasy but there aren't any asian in fantasy books lol. I would love to see more Asian in fantasy book so I can relate more with the character!
Amy
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So glad I picked this up as my first YA read for the year. The title and cover are perfect for this book. Magical, fantasy, action all the way with great characters! The creepy Dead Wood was depicted horrifically awesome! My only despair is that I’ll have to wait for book 2 now!!
☀︎Elena In Oz☀︎
I’m hyped for this, and I hope it meets my expectations of becoming a new favourite ...more
Ashley Holdren  | *Whimsies of a Nerd Girl ~ Fantasy Book Blogger
Is anyone else getting Grishaverse vibes from this? The plot sounds similar minus the different Grisha magic.
Alysse
Jan 06, 2020
Subhajit Das
Nov 09, 2019
Amber
Jan 05, 2020

• House of Dragons (House of Dragons, #1)
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • The Kingdom of Back
  • The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games, #0)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
  • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Set the Stars Alight
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Me & Mr. Cigar
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • The Cadet of Tildor
  • The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)
  • The Love Scam
  • Bears Behaving Badly
Lori is an avid writer, reader, artist, and lover of unicorns. She should probably spend less time on the internet (but she won't). She considers herself a unicorn aficianado, is fond of talking in capslock, and loves to write about magic, manipulation, and family.

Shamanborn (2 books)
  • Untitled (Shamanborn, #2)