Start by marking “The Empty Bed” as Want to Read:
The Empty Bed

The Empty Bed

(The Burial Society #2)

Catherine excels at helping desperate people disappear. But now she must use her unique skill set to find a missing woman in this electrifying novel from the author of The Burial Society.

Eva Lombard is being followed. Or so she suspects. . . .

Eva and her husband, Peter, are in Hong Kong on a romantic getaway from London when Peter wakes up in their hotel room
Expected publication: January 28th 2020 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about The Empty Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Empty Bed

Laurie Tell
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I want to thank the publisher and netgalley for the chance to read the advance copy. This did not affect my review.

This book was fun and full of intrigue. I really liked the characters and was drawn into their worlds.

There were a few intertwined stories. Each one was fascinating, with well drawn characters. With each chapter, the story and/or point of view changed. I admit it did take me a bit to get into the rhythm and remember who each person was. But as I got dra
Sunshyne
Sep 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book left me very confused. It seemed to have 2 or more stories going at once. I don’t really like first person books much anyway. And this one was very odd.
Cornmaven
Thanks to Random House/Ballantine for providing an ARC of this psychological thriller through NetGalley.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this book. This actually is my first non-recommend. The premise of the book is really good: a clandestine operation run by a woman, who does "extractions" of people who are facing retaliation for revealing truth. Sort of like a private witness protection program. Now, I did not realize until looking on GoodReads that this is the second in the serie
Shel
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and Random House/Ballantine for the ARC of this book in exchange for a honest review.

This is the second book in the Burial Society series but it’s not so intertwined with the first that if you start here you’ll be lost. That said, there is SOME background in the first book that I think makes this book more enjoyable.

There are really two different stories in this book but I think that fleshed put a little bit more they both could’ve been their own bo
S.K. Andrews
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An Emotional and Suspenseful Journey!

Power and compassion run through Catherine, who helps people in extreme danger vanish from their predators. The rest of her Burial Society team, who she enlisted, each possess their own talents and surprises. I became hooked on The Empty Bed from page one.

Nina Sadowsky has woven a gripping tale, which begins on different strings and seamlessly blends together in a compelling way. I found it fascinating how Nina was able to take me into
Doris Vandruff
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Peter Lombard has decided to take his wife Eva to Hongkong for their anniversary. Little does he know that the romantic trip he planned will turn into life in a spy novel.
After a long flight and a bitter argument, Peter decided to sleep it off. Eva decided to take a nice long bath behind a locked door. Not a great start to their anniversary.
When Eva decides to leave the motel and walk in the close by park, she is attacked and nearly robbed of her purse and camera. She escapes and runs for shel
Donna Hines
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Eva has gone missing during a trip to Hong Kong with her husband Peter during a romantic getaway.
Not so romantic considering Eva eventually turns up but nothing is as you suspect it not even the characters.
Peter turns to his boss Holly and his ex girlfriend to help find Eva which is odd in and of itself for me to comprehend but it just takes a turn to the bizarre underground world with Burial Society.
I simply couldn't get into this one as much as I'd hoped too as I'm a huge fan
Bree Lynn
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 ⭐ I loved this book so much. It flew by and I didn’t want it to end. It’s so brilliantly written that even though there are multiple main characters and three situations taking place, it never once gets confusing. Each storyline is woven together effortlessly. This book had me on the edge of my seat wanting to know what happened. Each of the three stories within the book were so fascinating. This book contains everything you could ask for: suspense, thrill, drama, mystery, crime etc. It will t ...more
Louise Pledge
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This oft-confusing story was really three different stories that finally come together in a rather strange, unsatisfying way. The language was bad, and I didn't care for ANY of the characters, even the "heroine" who was missing from the empty bed. There was a lot of action, for those who enjoy that in a read, but it bothered me that the book made it sound like it was okay to kill people as long as they had committed wrongs. While I was quite impressed with the author's credentials, I doubt I'll ...more
Lisa Jenkins
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley and Random House for the ARC of the empty bed. When I read this book and saw it was about a husband in wife who are in a foreign country and the wife goes missing I had to read it. That is like my worst nightmare to have something like that happen in a foreign country. This was a good book although it is two stories so you do have to make sure you are paying good attention. I really enjoyed this ride.
Olivia L
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This had all the makings of a terrific cat and mouse thriller if the story had centered exclusively around Pete and Eva. I found the Catherine/Jake/Stephanie chapters to be somewhat disruptive, diverting my attention away from the main protagonists(?)' story. Although a bit jarring at times, it was still an entertaining story that I would recommend.

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher, and Nina Sadowsky for an ARC of 'The Empty Bed' in exchange for an honest and voluntary review.
Janice Lombardo
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this story. The melding of characters was brilliant. I could not put this one down!!!

The Peter/Eva story was strong as it melded along with Catherine, Jake and Steph. Loved the surprises along the way. The twists began early and just kept on coming!'

HIGHLY recommend !

Many Thanks to Random House Books - Ballantine and NetGalley for a truly wonderful read.
Christine Moore
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Book #2 in the Burial Society series was just as good as the first! I enjoyed catching back up with Catherine and her work helping domestic violence victims. I read this book in one day as I couldn't put it down. I hope there are many stories with Catherine and the Burial Society. I received an advanced readers copy and all opinions are my own.
Agnes Muscoreil
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really interesting read! Lots going on with the Burial Society and keeping up with all the fascinating characters. I liked the society, who help people disappear from bad situations. Eva was well drawn as was Peter as a married couple caught up in something they didn't understand. Well done - thanks for my copy NetGalley!
Sandra Pipitone
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one you don't want to put down! Not everyone is who they seem to be, try to keep track! PLEASE try and keep up!
Nickie
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a story where a husband and wife go on a romantic getaway and the wife disappears. There are multiple story lines in this book that at times I found a little confusing. If I was able to read the book straight through I might not have had a problem juggling all the characters. I did enjoy this book as it was really well written and I enjoyed the ending.
Erica
Meshia Chatman
Marie
Emily
Aug 31, 2019
Nina R. Sadowsky's eclectic career has spanned work as an entertainment lawyer, a producer, a film executive, a screenwriter, a director and a film professor. She has written numerous original screenplays and adaptations and done rewrites for such companies as The Walt Disney Company, Working Title Films, and Lifetime Television.

She is currently serving as adjunct faculty at USC’s School of

The Burial Society (2 books)
  • The Burial Society