Start by marking “Hex at a House Party (Sonoma Witches, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hex at a House Party (Sonoma Witches, #2)

Hex at a House Party

(Sonoma Witches #2)

Sometimes it takes a magic touch to solve a murder.

Twenty-six-year-old witch Alma may be a failed demon hunter, but she’s never lacked magical ability—just an Incurable Inability to kill. Recovering from defending her small town from a recent supernatural attack, Alma has sworn off working for the Protectorate, the witch governing body, to devote herself to learning and te
ebook
Published June 25th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Hex at a House Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hex at a House Party

Start your review of Hex at a House Party (Sonoma Witches, #2)
Dominique
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, paranormal
Free on Kindle and Kobo, Oct. 13, 2020.
Kristen Lewendon
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just like the previous book, this one left me speechless. It also successfully kept me second guessing myself all the way to the end. I am not ashamed to admit that I didn’t see any of that coming. I loved watching the partnership between Alma and Birdie deepen. It was especially fun to watch Alma playing the role of “wise old witch” while training her friend. I’m fascinated by the all the new things we’re learning about Alma’s abilities as well as those of the people and beings around her. I’m ...more
Beth
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So still not sure I like the new not her Boss ....

Also is her Mom dead or just anonymous & wandering around?
Between My BookEndz
Alma Bellrose just wants to be left alone, tucked safely in her cottage surrounded by herbs and crafting her focus beads. But fate in the form of The Protectorate just will not let this hearth witch be. Forced by the head of the San Fran office to go undercover at a week-long party hosted by well-known witches, Alma finds not only drama and danger but a little bit more about herself!

To say this series is bewitching is an understatement! While the first book introduced to the characters, Silverpo
Anca Antoci
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the Sonoma Witches series and continues where it left off in Dead Witch on A Bridge.

Without giving away too many spoilers, this book has it all: friendship, chemistry, tension, blackmail, and murder.

I loved to see the friendship between Alma and Birdie deepen while Birdie learns to explore and control her magic. To everyone’s relief, the friendly neighborhood changeling, Seth has survived his touch and go situation from the end of book one ( no spoilers for those who
Amy
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Against her own self-preservation, Alma attends a house party as a "spy" for the protectorate while teaching a new witch her way around a spell. Things become tense, and with the unexpected suicide of the hostess, it's up to the houseguests to take care of themselves. But what can they do against an unsuspecting hexer?

Here's what I didn't like: could've been proofread better. Things like her getting in her car, a few paragraphs about relevant topic, then her getting in her car. Sometimes the pac
Miekenstein
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found Hex at a House Party fun and engaging. This is the second book in the series and I'm continuing to really enjoy Alma and her friends and enemies.

The mystery was interesting and the villain not immediately obvious. (I hate when there is only one person who could possibly be the killer.) The secondary characters were strongly written and believable.

While Alma is extremely likable, she is a bit of a mystery herself. I'm a big fan of character development and well thought out long story
Linda Lewis
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fantasy
Having read and loved the first book in the Sonoma Witches series, I couldn’t wait to read the second. I NOT disappointed! Galway always creates richly fleshed out characters and worlds, and in this series it’s the hidden world of witches, gnomes, fairies and other supernatural creatures both good and bad. I love the main character, Alma Bellrose, with her ethical spunk and big heart—and master thief father.

In Hex at a House Party she again has to deal with the Protectorate, which dispelled her
Kim
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of Gretchen Galway and was thrilled when the first book in the Sonoma Witches series came out. Hex at a House Party is book 2 of the series. With Hex at a House Party the story of Alma, her friends and "enemy's" is continued. Many new characters are introduced and the whodunit mystery continues throughout. More is revealed about Alma, her genealogy, her skills and her allies. I truly like the protagonist, Alma and am always rooting for her. Birdie who was introduced in the first ...more
Becca
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The second installment of the Sonoma witch series is here and just as enjoyable to read. We get to see Alma developing into a bit less of a loner as she expands her circle of people.

There is a mystery here to be solved and it is not immediately obvious who is behind what is going on. But it is written in a way that kept me enthralled and reading til I found the answer.

I love the characters that are developing. I enjoyed seeing Alma grow. And can't wait to see what comes next because there are
Trey richardson
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mystery 4 stars, Magic 2

This book is good but a little disappointing. The characters and plot are fine but the magic systems isn’t that exciting in this book. The book summery said the MC would draw on “old magic and new” but honestly the MC used very little magic and all of it was magic she used in the first book. She did find out interesting things about her blood but overall the magic aspect of the book was 2 stars.
Evonne Hutton
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Protectorate has a task for her despite the fact that she no longer an agent.
But how difficult is it to go spend some time at a party?
And then the wheels fell off!!!
A tightly woven tale that will demand your attention
I received an Advance Reader copy of this book from the author and am voluntarily leaving a review
Mary
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this second installment of Alma's adventures. I like her so much! She knows who she is and what is important to her. The secondary characters are really well done. The writing is excellent. The world is one in which I would like to live. She has the potential for many adventures and I hope there are many books to come!
Lisa Elwood
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Detailed

Galway is crafting her witching world in small detailed bites in combination with a Northern California setting. Her heroine is very closed off but her investigations pry a little life out of her each time. Looking forward to getting to know more about her and the beings that inhabit her world.
Jacki

The writing style
The characters
Part of a series: Sonoma Witches
Crime solved

I look forward to reading the next book in this series.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC.
Lili
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Alma - she's... enchanting! As for being slightly demonic... no way, she's more than a little angelic to me!

Well written and fast paced, this book is a crescendo of mistery and adventure, and I am truly sorry it ended too soon. I'm eagerly looking forward to the sequel!
Sharon M. Turner
Demon hunting! It

This is a different type of witch story. It shows that being a witch doesn't mean all power and flying on brooms. This shows another side of the tale. Really interesting. Read it!
Una
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book two was every bit as good as book one. Full of action. Even though I figured out the culprit fairly early on, it did not deter from complete enjoyment of the rest of the story.
KDinSC
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good series

I like the series, the characters, and the setting. Interesting mysteries, complex world, and lots of magic. Good female protagonist, faced with many challenges.
Elizabeth GlamShazam
DNF at like, 10%. I can't read another book of Alma telling Seth, "You CAN'T be into me. You simply CAN'T be. I just don't beeeeeliiive it." JFC. Tedious.
Constance L Mroz
I enjoyed this writers books. I have read the first two in this series and loved them both. If you enjoy witches, fae, etc., you will enjoy them too. They kept me guessing until the end of the story.
Tammy Buchli
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The second book on this entertaining new series is as strong as the first. An engaging heroine and great world building. Highly recommended.
Emily
Oct 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read. I enjoyed the mix of new magic rules with the classic mystery.
Francesca
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable.
Barbara Dunbar
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hex at a House party

There were so many plot twists my head is still spinning. Alma is stubborn and even when it seems all is solved she is not convinced.
colleen miller hale
This was a fun book!! can't wait to read the next one!!
K Huskić
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alma is requested by the Protectorate to attend a house party and report back. Her curiosity gets the better of her, as well as sort of being blackmailed into going, so off she goes to San Francisco. The party is a week-long affair, with a random bunch of witches, each with their own secrets. After one person winds up dead, the house party turns into a murder investigation. Alma, although not actually a Protectorate agent, decides to look into the murder. Her curious nature takes over, once agai ...more
Valeria Orlando
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved the first book so I was super excited to read this one and it was totally worth it! We get to know better some of the characters from the previous book, there is suspance and the side characters are well written, is very entertaining and keeps you glued to the pages. I hope this series will get a lot of books because the possibilities are endless and I really love this mix of magic and mystery.
N.N. Light
Oct 20, 2020
MRS B.F. DAY
Oct 16, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Date With Death (Conjuring a Coroner #0)
  • Deadline (Blood Trails, #1)
  • Too Many Crooks Spoil the Plot (A Ditie Brown Mystery #1)
  • Murder on the Sugarland Express (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #6)
  • Spooky Sweet (Samantha Sweet #11)
  • Smoke and Mirrors (Sloane Monroe, #8)
  • Bound to Darkness (Shadow Bound Book 1)
  • Edge of Magic (Tara Knightley, #1)
  • Black Magic Kitten (Familiar Kitten Mysteries #1)
  • Mandrake and a Murder (The Witches of Wormwood Mysteries #1)
  • The Perfectly Proper Paranormal Museum (Perfectly Proper Paranormal Museum #1)
  • Magic and Mystery: Bundle Book 1 (Magic & Mystery #1-3)
  • Sinister Shadows (Wicks Hollow)
  • Previous Engagements (Press Pass Cozy Mysteries, #1)
  • Life is for the Living (Conjuring a Coroner #2)
  • Grave Games  (Dominique St. Clair, #1)
  • Steeped in Suspicion (A Pebble Cove Teahouse Mystery #1)
  • Dawn's Promise (Silent Wings #1)
GRETCHEN GALWAY is a USA Today bestselling author who writes mystery, fantasy, and romance. Raised in the American Midwest, she now lives in in Sonoma County, California.

To be the first to know about sales and new releases, and get a free short story, sign up for an email alert at www.gretchengalway.com.

Sonoma Witches (3 books)
  • Dead Witch on a Bridge (Sonoma Witches, #1)
  • A Spell to Die For (Sonoma Witches, #3)