Start by marking “For Ever” as Want to Read:
For Ever

For Ever

"The Royal Sword is gone."

"Excuse me? Would you mind repeating that? I thought I heard you say you hid our most important heirloom."

A girl meets a dragon, a servant fights for her prince, a traveler with a secret finds a home, a soldier disobeys the rules in order to save the kingdom, and a queen journeys north to find out if she's truly fit to rule.
Published June 19th 2019 (first published June 2019)

Start your review of For Ever
Nessa [October Tune]
Actual Rating: 3.5
CAWPILE: 7.0 | 6.5 | 6.0 | 6.5 | 7.0 | 6.0 | 7.5 (6.64)

I had no idea this was actually a short story collection. It still kind of tells one story but through the perspectives of five different characters who all make cameos in the previous stories. I liked it, but I think I might have liked it better if it had been just one story with multiple perspectives perhaps. Loved the illustrations, though. Had to resist the urge to grab some colouring pencils and colour them in.
Rozanne
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book had everything I love in a story: lgbt characters, fantasy, happy endings and just this lovely magical atmosphere throughout.
It's a collection of stories and the pov-character switches each time, but it's done so incredibly well. Reading from one character's pov provides a completely different view of the world than reading from another.
Really, these stories were like fairy tales. Tales of love and kindness and adventure with morals interwoven in them, all taking place in a world that
Megan
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books, lgbt
DFKJDSKLDFJK

This book is literally everything I've ever wanted in a fantasy and I cannot recommend it enough!! Seriously just read it!!
Marga
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Don’t judge a book by its cover, but you have to admit: this cover is wonderful! The beautiful look and lovely illustrations alone are reasons why I’d want it in my bookcase. I also love the different icons seperating the text in each story.

When I started reading I had to get used to the layout. Some sentences are broken off in the middle of the page, while the sentence isn’t finished, which was distracting. Nevertheless, I loved the book in the end! It’s exciting and compelling. The confusion
Moja
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I love the fact that the book consists of five different stories which coherent all together as one. The characters are really divers and the different stories give you insight in all of them. It really is a feel good book, with amazing illustrations, which I 100% recommend!
Amy Rijk
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pretty solid collection of stories that tie together. It did take me a little bit to get into it. I like a lot of the ideas, sometimes the way it's written was a bit much for me, but I also wasn't bothered by it too much. I like a lot of the characters. The world has a lot of used potential with room to possibly expand upon. Eventhough a lot of the world was already shown, it felt like there was more to explore and I like that. The Stranger and the Secret was definitely my favourite with For Eve ...more
Annabelle
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Love this book! Definitely recommend it!
The book is an easy read with fun short stories that are all in an orginal way connected with each other. I really love each character and I am happy to see some really good representation.

What makes this book stand out though is the way you see the characters develop just by really listening to others and by being open to new people and new experiences. In this way some really important topics are intertwined with the stories without making the book a d
Sacha
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Really loved this book!
Lars Kuijpers
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It's got an interesting story, good flow and some characters that I'm honestly quite obsessed with at this point. The diverse set of characters, without their diversity being the whole point of the story, is also a breath of fresh air, especially in the fantasy genre. Switching point of view between them really helped this as well, giving you insight into all of them on a much more personal level, while still having enough room for an interesting overarching story t ...more
Anne-Marie ✨
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
All I knew about this book before reading was that it was fantasy and lgbt, and those two things won me over. The book is separated into 5 different sections, with different stories that blend in together at the end. This is definitely a book where I would reread one story just to experience it again. I can't wait to read more from the author (I'm hoping to get her new book at Facts fall). ...more
Emily
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was very privileged in that I got to see this book at its many different stages of development and I must say that every iteration I've seen of these stories are wonderfully written and beautifully crafted and developed. Each story paints a vignette of a person in living in the kingdom and offers a unique perspective on a beautifully complex and magical world. You will certainly find yourself falling in love with each and every character in this book as you learn their hopes and dreams and fea ...more
Renée Zonneveld
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! LGBTQ+ characters doing normal fantasy stuff like meeting dragons, saving princes, finding important heirlooms. It is exactly what we all need in our lives! Reading this book just makes me feel happy and warm inside.
I really like the world and the story, but above all I love all the characters. Every single one is truly my baby and I would protect them with my life.

It was an absolute honor Cindy to work with you on this book and design all of the characters you wrot
Jess
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a wonderful read. It’s extremely clever and every characters’ tale ties together at the end of the story! The characters were funny and relatable, the plot was extremely interesting and the vibe the author created for the story is unique and I loved it! I definitely recommend this book it’s getting its own spot in my Special Books shelf!
Cynthia
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Britta :)
Oct 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book has an amazing casual lgbtqia+ representation and the stories are like little fairytales, whom all come together in the endstory! I made a list with the things I love the most about this book:

- The genderneutral names for everyone and that when the gender of someone wasn't confirmed yet, they used they/them pronouns
- That all the stories came together, not only at the end but also in the first 4 stories!
- That the stories felt a little like "modern" (not really modern in the story its
Sanne
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my God, it's such a good book. Honestly, I love how the five stories connect but are also still separate and how each character is developed throughout all five of the stories.
I still can't pick a favorite story. It's not that I love all five equally, but all five are amazing and give me different feelings. The book has so many stunning scenes that blew me away, and I'm glad to have read it again.
Cindy's prose is very convincing and I love the inclusivity of this book. Renée's illustrations a
Maddie
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I LOVED this book!! Every character was so different and unique. They all learned some sort of valuable lesson whether it was about themselves or each other... and I absolutely loved how each story was woven together! It's beautifully enchanting and it's hard to not love each character and their adventures. ...more
Thijs
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was very fun to read. I really enjoyed the format of different smaller stories creating one whole in the end. The characters made the story even more enjoyable. They were diverse, bold and sometimes sexy. It was also amazing being able to follow the whole writing journey from original prompt to a filled storage with books and goodies. Keen is my baby!
Pixelflipsel
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read this fairly quick (over a couple of weeks spread because work is demanding all of my free reading time). It took form in a couple of short stories each focused on a character and their path towards a relationship. And the events were all interconnected. I had never read something like that before and I really liked it. Some characters (Keen, Raid, Pid and not to forget the dragon) I absolutely adored and would have loved to see more off. I already read people notice the rain by the same a ...more
Nikki colycoffee
Jul 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
finished this in 2 weeks (just havent been on goodreads in ages....) . its an easy read and the writing is beautiful. the illustrations makes it all complete. beautiful story, everyone should read this :)
Karina Lindhjem
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I cried and I laughed and overall this book was so amazing I didn't want to put it down! Definitely one of the best books I have ever read and the beautiful illustrations made it all come to life! Thank you ...more
Nina van der Heijden
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqa
From now on this is one of my favorite books in like ever! I loved the short stories, the poetic sentences, and how it al comes to a whole at the end. I love love loved the diverse characters, the friendships, the couples and ofcourse the ending ❤️❤️❤️
Laura García-conde fernández
This was such a lovely book.

Every character was relatable in their own unique way and very easy to love. They walk paths of self-discovery, recognising their flaws and learning from them. Fighting prejudices (even your own) takes central stage in these five stories.

Magic is presented in a very subtle way, always there but never the focus, which was nice and helped keep the stories grounded and real. The world is detailed but simple and believable.

My only objection is not about the book itself b
Alix
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It was really easy to read and also very entertaining. A great book.
laura
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-shelf
I really enjoyed reading this book! I'm not a big fan of short stories, since I find it hard to really connect with the characters and to dive into the world they live in. This wasn't the case this time! I read it in one day, because the stories were just beautiful and gripping and I couldn't put it down. It is full of strong and unique characters, which you can't help but fall in love with. I really enjoyed getting to know them from different perspectives and to see them grow and become more co ...more
Valeria
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is simply a wonderful story. I am someone who usually doesn't enjoy books made up of multiple short stories but I enjoyed this one immensely. The stories are all connected and draw you in quickly, making you guess at connections and gasp at reveals. But more than anything this story just has a lot of heart. You fall in love with the characters and the various ways people find each other and themselves. It will make you laugh and sigh and get emotional, and marvel at the beautiful and clever ...more
Daniekkaltes
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It has a wonderful fairytale-esque atmosphere. It's a collection of five short stories, so each story is a bit simple, but enjoyable and satisfying nonetheless.
The stories feel very closely connected because of the overarching theme, the overlap in the characters, and the fact that each preceding story influences the next.
I found the characters well thought out and distinct from each other, even though you don't get to spend much time with each.
Susan
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Omg it is so good! I love the lgbt+ in this book it was just so cute.
Marco
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: happy-list
Where do I start?

No really, honestly, seriously: where do I start explaining how brilliant this book is? How happy it made me and how much the story sucked me in?
I've got not a clue, but here's to trying!

My journey with this book started on the day I got my hands on it, without knowing where it came from. No one has admitted to ordering this book for me, so I've settled on the explanation that I did it myself and forgot about it (which seems unlikely, but I couldn't tell you what else could've h
Pauline allen
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hoped for more

I liked it but it was missing something. But I do want more. I just wished for a more finish ending

• Second Wind
  • Worth the Wait (The Hollywood Series, #3.5)
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • A Tin Train Christmas (short story)
  • The Route That Takes You Home (Mailbox Mysteries, #1)
  • The Seductress Trap
  • The Morning After
  • Wolfsbane Winter
  • She Topples Giants (Bartram's Maw #1)
  • She Courts Darkness (Bartram's Maw #2)
  • The Wolf and the She-Bear
  • 16 Steps to Forever
  • The Spider and the Scribe
  • She Heralds the End (Bartram's Maw #3)
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • Find Me (Call Me By Your Name, #2)
  • Head Over Tail
  • Tales for the Holidays
See top shelves…

News & Interviews

“Ask reached behind her, moving impossibly closer, smelling like fairytales and hot autumn rain and princes.” 0 likes
“Pid wondered if this would be the last thing she’d see before she died. A sparkly dragon on top of a glowy rock.

As far as last moments went, this one was pretty out there.”
0 likes