Start by marking “The Angel of Knowlton Park (Joe Burgess, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Angel of Knowlton Park (Joe Burgess, #2)

The Angel of Knowlton Park

(Joe Burgess #2)

What happens when a child from a violent home is not safe in the hands of those assigned to protect him? For Timmy Watts, the answer is death. Timmy is found in a park, brutally stabbed yet carefully wrapped in a blanket. The case goes to DS Joe Burgess.
Published September 1st 2008 by Gale Cengage

To ask other readers questions about The Angel of Knowlton Park, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Angel of Knowlton Park

Start your review of The Angel of Knowlton Park (Joe Burgess, #2)
Carol
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is #2 in the Joe Burgess Series, and he is still driving himself so hard that he's really a bit of a masochist. It's still annoying. But the story is carefully plotted, and the timeline is seamless. I devoured it in spite of (not because of) the ongoing litany of Joe's knee pain, lack of sleep, lack of decent meals, etc, etc. Somehow he is stuck into my psyche and I really love these mysteries/police procedurals. The stories take place in Portland, Maine, which becomes a character in its ow ...more
Mary Garrett
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Who You Gonna Call?
The world needs more like Joe Burgess in Kate Flora’s THE ANGEL OF KNOWLTON PARK, conscientious, principled, and determined to bring justice, no matter what. He's an amazing, strong, real character, and if I needed someone to watch my back or save me from a monster, he'd be my first choice. I'd even order pizza for him afterward, or rather, for them. Burgess said it was the team, good people acting together.
Vacation plans dropped, girl friend has to understand, injured
John Fossett
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like Joe. He takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. There's a certain charm to his persistence, to his Sisyphean task of trying to navigate the bureaucratic bullshit to solve the case and to his ability to make sure his personal life does not come before work. And Joe develops a little more each book. Kinda feel like I know his pain points as well as his pleasures, what few he allows himself.
In spite of the cliche I like the way Flora uses her straight-forward storytelling to make and kee
Crystal Toller
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Homicide Detective, Joe Burgess is on his way to go on vacation with his girlfriend, Chris, when he gets called to the site of the death of a child. The child, Timmy Watts lives with a family that does not care for him at all. The neighborhood has been Timmy's hangout and DHS has fallen down on the job. What Burgess and his team discoveer makes for a very emotional read. Even though this is a fiction book it is all too clear that this could really happen in real life so it was hard for me to rea ...more
Ellen White
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Burgess called to crime scene of a young child. It was to be his vacation time, they couldn’t locate Kyle, so he got the case. I like Joe Burgess , he brings his flaws out in the story, the tears the case bring he waits till he is at home. Looking at this undernourish boy, that wandered the area for a kind word, or for a little food. The body spoke volumns to Joe, this was an overkill, and he wanted to know why and get the killer. I Like the characters they seem real, and what they endured, and ...more
Sara Spaulding
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blue Lives Matter

Kate Flora didn't have to buy she brought to life what it means to be a policeman. Joe Burgess, the meanest detective on the force, is also the one who can solve this case and he does it even after being taken off the case.

Kate Flora uses this opportunity to teach us all about the humanity of a police officer. So glad I read this book.
Stephen Dorneman
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Joe Burgess is dedicated to his work - perhaps too dedicated, as when an innocent child is killed on his Portland beat, he takes justice for that victim as an all-too-personal quest. A police procedural with heart (and blood, and the dog shit reality of the street), with an unforgettable cast of characters both in and out of the precinct. Recommended.
J.
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

This is my second Joe Burgess book. Real, gritty and brutal at times, the plot pulls the reader in and leaves them feeling as if they were standing in the middle of a crime scene. Two books down...time to sink into the third!
ctrothschild
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks Kate!

Best cop story in a long time! The in's and outs, day in day out struggles of murder detectives are truely overlooked sometimes by us all. The determination and dedication to their jobs is what us citizens never see.
Byron Hill
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is Book #2 in the Det. Joe Burgess detective series by Kate Flora.
Diane Heath
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Further proof that Joe Burgess is the Harry Bosch of Portland...
Kathryne
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Joe Burgess is good company. Nice to know he’s there to battle on keeping the world a little safer
Kathleen Hagen
The Angel of Knowlton Park, by Kate Flora, a-minus, No. 2 in the Detective Joe Burgess series. Narrated by Terry Rose, produced by Books in Motion, downloaded from audible.com.

This series takes place in Portland Maine, and they are police procedurals. We have the traditional outspoken driven cop, Burgess, and his team, and the Deputy of the Department who hates him and is always trying to get him fired. In this book, Burgess is just ready to go on vacation, when his immediate supervi
Barbara
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who enjoy a good suspenseful police procedural mystery
Shelves: mystery
Detective Joe Burgess is a crusty and tough, yet caring,often kind member of the homicide team in Portland,Maine. They are confronted with the senseless murder of a beautiful eight year old boy. His family members include thieves, drug addicts and dealers, prostitution and many other senseless heinous crimes. They live in indescribable squalor.The child has lived with extreme neglect, but had somehow managed to be an appealing boy. In addition, he usually had to seek out kind neighbors for food. ...more
Jann
Jul 19, 2011 rated it liked it
It is hard to say I liked a book when the subject is so dark. An eight year old boy is brutally murdered and the entire book is a police drama detailing their efforts to solve the murder. The book is well written and you get a sense of the teamwork and sometimes luck it takes to solve such a crime. Joe Burgess (detective and main character) is a hard working and likeable guy. I will read another of the Joe Burgess novels just to keep up with him.
Sara
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like this one even better than Playing God. Det. Joe Burgess is really growing on me as a character. I keep drawing parallels between him and Preston/Child's Lt. Vincent D'Agosta, although you get to know Burgess much better than D'Agosta because the writing is 100% from Burgess' perspective. Police procedure is very realist. No - "Look! the bad guy conveniently popped up at the last minute and asked me to arrest him! All in a day's work..." like some detective novels.
Terry
Apr 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This one captured me from the get-go. Compulsive reading, but dark. Normally I don't go for stories involving crimes against children, but this one worked. Set in Portland, Maine, Flora's protagonist, Detective Burgess, is utterly sympathetic and he exudes dogged determination. Clearly, police procedurals are my go-to reads right now. Compare with William Kent Krueger, Brian Freeman, and P.J.Tracy.
Frances I. Guempel
Angel of knowlton park

I have already bought book three in the Joe Burgess series. You really feel for these detectives as they work their way through cases. GP and their own boss in their faces all the way.
Judy
May 14, 2012 rated it liked it
I have just finished 3 books in this series. The mystery cases are very good but it is overkill (no pun intended) with the information about being a policeman. I would recommend beginning with the first one but read some other books before you read the second, etc.
scherzo♫
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Okay, but loaded with formulaic tropes and soap-box posturing.
John Bohnert
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This crime fiction author is awesome. I've now read THE ANGEL OF KNOWLTON PARK and her first book PLAYING GOD. The police procedurals are set in Portland, Maine and are very engrossing.
Amy J
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I really liked the characters in this book. This was a good mystery, kept you guessing and thinking it through.
Kitty
Mar 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great character development and characters you'd want to meet. You can't help but pull for the good guys in their quest to find the doer.
Elaine
May 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a thoughtful book about a childs murder and how it affects the people who have to find the killer.
Ellen
Feb 18, 2018
Susan Leary
Apr 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Beneath the Depths (Detective Byron #2)
  • Among The Shadows (Detective Byron #1)
  • Beyond the Truth (Detective Byron #3)
  • The Cyanide Canary: A True Story of Injustice
  • The Night Fire (Renée Ballard, #3)
  • Wrongful Death (David Sloane, #2)
  • Bodily Harm (David Sloane, #3)
  • Murder One (David Sloane, #4)
  • The Cyanide Canary: A True Story of Injustice
  • Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
  • The Vicarage Murder (Monica Noble, #1)
  • Supper Club
  • Don't Tell A Soul (Detectives Kane and Alton, #1)
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
  • Just Like Grey 18: Sean Cashman Book 3
  • Stealth (A Stone Barrington Novel)
  • Gravity Is the Thing: A Novel
  • August's Heat (Larry Macklin Mysteries #10)
Kate Flora grew up on a chicken farm in Maine where the Friday afternoon trip to the library was the high point of her week. She dreamed of being able to create the kind of compelling, enchanting worlds of the books she disappeared into every week, but growing up in the era when “help wanted” ads were still sex-segregated, she felt her calling was to go to law school and get the job they told her ...more

Joe Burgess (5 books)
  • Playing God (Joe Burgess, #1)
  • Redemption (Joe Burgess, #3)
  • And Grant You Peace (Joe Burgess, #4)
  • Led Astray (Joe Burgess, #5)