Start by marking “The Hate You Drink” as Want to Read:
The Hate You Drink

The Hate You Drink

Erik Keston, son of the Keston Real Estate empire, knows what it takes to be successful. Despite his inherent wealth, he holds his own. He works hard, he’s grounded, he’s brilliant. He’s also secretly in love with his best friend.

Monroe Wellman lost his parents three years ago and never grieved, never recovered. Inheriting the family company and wealth means nothing, and h
Paperback, 1st edition, 300 pages
Published May 21st 2019 by Blueheart Press

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

This book won't be everyone's cuppa. It deals with alcoholism and doesn't sugarcoat addiction.

Monroe is a mess: selfish, reckless, hanging on my a thin thread of sanity. He drinks to forget. He drinks to escape. He drinks because it's easier than dealing with the grief of losing his parents.

Monroe's only constant is Erik: his best friend, his keeper, his everything.

But Erik has been in love with Monroe for years, and it's killing him to watch Monroe self-destruct. Finally, Erik gives Mon
Nazanin
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, m-m
3.5 Star

The Hate You Drink is about two addicted guys, Monroe is addicted to alcohol and Erik is addicted to Monroe. Monroe uses drinking to protect himself, to be in control, to be not himself, to escape reality… His addiction is out of control now…
Erik is his best friend (for years) and he is the guy who can’t say no to Monroe or being mad at him, he just wants to be around him… But at some point, he can’t tolerate anymore…

Told in dual POV, 1st person, it’s a standalone novel. It’s a friends-t
Ele
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it
-2.75 stars-

I struggled a lot with this one. I have a feeling it's just me, not the book, though, because this is definitely a typical Walker story and I used to love these.

The beginning was very promising. There was angst, intensity, a lot of feels and the promise of a separation period. I was pleased. But then it all went downhill for me when Monroe started a detox and rehab program.

I know that the author had to focus on Monroe working on getting better and I'm glad she did, but it was too mu
Susan
May 24, 2019 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 32%

I'd hoped I would want to pick it up after I took a break, but I don't.

N.R. Walker has always been a hit or miss for me. And unfortunately this was a miss.

I just wasn't feeling this. The subject is quite heavy, but somehow it didn't feel heavy (enough) when I was reading this. I never felt as if Monroe really did hit rock bottom. Or that Erik really was at the end of his rope as his best friend/love interest.

Same with the intervention they staged. That felt so forced and even a bit ju
Christelle
I often go for N.R. Walker’s books without hesitation as I enjoy her writing style and the amount of fluff she instils in her romances (even when it’s not a fluffy romance). And she goes with diverse topics, so no boredom.

This time, N.R. Walker goes with 2 MCs who are best friends but at a crossroad in their life : Monroe is spiralling into alcoholism and Erik is too deep into his secret – and unhealthy - love for his best friend. It has to change and fast, for both of them before they lost them
Ky
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm pretty sure it's me and not the book....

From the very first chapters it was clear that we wouldn't be a good match. I couldn't connect with the characters and I didn't believe in their romance.

Erik and Monroe have been friends for many years, they're both gay but they have never crossed that line. Erik is attracted to Monroe and totally in love with him since they met but he never did anything about it. Monroe on the other hand is totally oblivious about his friend's feelings. He's in a roug
.Lili.
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I've said it once, I'll repeat it- 3-star reviews are the worst to write. It makes you explain why it wasn't a complete winner.

There were many positives to The Hate You Drink by N.R. Walker-

-Friend to lovers
-Sweet
-Dual POVs
-Hurt/Comfort/Healing
-Nice set of secondary characters.
-I liked Erik and Monroe.

BUT, it didn't deliver what I wanted most: RELATIONSHIP ANGST. Aside from the first couple of scenes; there was zero conflict between the two main characters. Everything between them was sugary s
Snjez
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Probably the only reason I read a book that deals with alcoholism was because of N.R. Walker. I really like her writing style and I admire that she can write about diverse topics.

But, while I liked some of its parts, I don't think this story was for me. It's main focus is on Monroe's recovery, so Erik and Monroe spend a certain amount of time apart. There's also not much about what their friendship was like before. Maybe that's why I never fully connected to the characters.
Renée

I was looking for the angst.

When it comes to the addiction component, the angst was there. This story takes us through the immediate "before" Monroe goes into addiction treatment for alcoholism and then through his first 30 days sober.

He has put his best friend, Erik, through hell for the past three years. Erik has given and given, while Monroe has taken and taken.

I read this book in one sitting, which goes to show why this author is a favorite. I just love reading whatever she writ
haletostilinski
4.5 stars!

Before reading this, I saw a lot of negative reviews. Some positive sure, but I was seeing quite a bit more negative ones, and I was wondering if I would feel like they were about this - since it deals with such a serious subject and Walker is usually fairly fluffy and doesn't do crazy angst all that much - so I went into this thinking I maybe wasn't gonna like it.

But that turns out not to be the case. I saw some reviews saying things like after the start of this, things got too easy -
Sanaa Z.
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars.

He's my best friend; he my family. But he's more than that.

This was a tough read. Addiction is not easy for the person itself and those who love you. But I'm glad that the author doesn't sugarcoat it so we get to see what really happens to a person who goes through any type of addiction.

I loved the MCs and most of the secondary characters. Monroe and Erik were meant to be. Even though they're not together for a good chunk of the story, you can still feel the love and romance they h
Chris
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
What a beautiful story - alcoholism is a real issue and is one that was addressed with compassion in this story. Monroe & Erik certainly adored each other and I’m glad that after the fog and pain they could both enjoy their truth. Simply lovely ❤ ...more
Annika
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4,5 stars

The Hate You Drink was a roller coaster of emotions; angst, hope, despair, hurt, love, cravings and so much more, all wrapped up in a hefty dose of UST. The first part of this book broke my heart. It’s where we first meet Erik and Monroe. We see Erik desperately in love with his best friend. Feel the longing for Monroe to notice him, to feel the same way about him. We see Monroe doing everything he can to escape any and all feelings, feel how utterly lost he is, the devastation. How alc
Elsbeth

I feel a bit confused about this. The topic was intense and was hard to read about. But I expected to feel it more. I know everyone handles grief differently but Monroe got a bit overboard in my opinion. But I guess that proves the fact. Erik was in over his head, trying to help his friend, enabling him in his behavior.

description

I liked the dynamics between them although it didn't work the full 100% for me. Still a good read.
Chris
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
N.R. Walker tackles addiction well in this story. Monroe's struggle with alcoholism and recovery is tough. Erik's addiction to Monroe or his enabler is also tough, but in Walker fashion this book has all the feels. I loved Monroe's journey to letting go, healing, finding himself and accepting love. I loved that Erik and his wonderful family stood by Monroe all the way. Saul was an amazing character as Monroe's therapist. I love a good friends to lovers story and this one was heartwarming and bro ...more
Bev
Dislike the cover, and not my fave Nic Walker read I have to say...I've been putting it off to be honest. Having had my own 'drinker in the closet' in the past, reading it was sometimes quite difficult. Whilst it's true that Erik was an enabler of sorts, I defy anyone who hasn't been in that particularly awful situation to really understand what goes on in the mind of someone who seems to live to drink...and sod everyone and everything else, no matter that their family/relatives are doing their ...more
Laxmama
This was another one that must be it’s just me, everyone loved this one and I had been looking g forward to reading it. From the beginning I just didn’t connect to either MC, for me the whole story felt forced and OTT. NR Walker is hit or miss for me.
Julia Begander
4.5 stars; rounded up to 5 stars because it's N.R. Walker and I love her.

Reading one of N.R. Walker's books always feels like coming home. This was my 36th (!) book by her; and her writing style feels so familiar by now. You'd think that I'd get tired of it after so many books, but I never do. Quite on the contrary, now I really want to reread some of her other book.

I will admit that I was a bit sceptical about whether or not I would like it since it deals with alcoholism. Why was I ever worried
JenMcJ
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars. Not my favorite NR Walker. I didn't really like Monroe or Eric. Honestly, I don't think you can really turn intervention and intensive rehab into a cogent romance. By their nature they really don't go together. Every time these guys got sexual or emotional (and goodness all the necessary but overwhelming amount of crying) I felt like neither one was in a healthy enough space to make decisions like that and the whole "soulmate" thing was a way to try and make it palatable or acceptable ...more
Cory
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this (as I do with most all N.R. Walker books) one even though the main characters were apart from each other a great deal of the book.
Sheri
Rock bottom. Monroe has just arrived or crashed would be more specific. The thing about hitting rock bottom is you have very little left to lose and very little scares you. But Monroe does have something or someone left to lose and that thought alone terrifies him. Erik has been sitting courtside during his best friend’s self-destruction and he simply can’t take it anymore. He never wanted to give him an ultimatum but he’s suddenly realized he is slowly killing himself watching Monroe torture hi ...more
Alec Reads -read more, live more-
DNF @ 46%

I love books that challenge me to open my mind and get past my prejudices. The Hate You Drink by N.R. Walker is one of those books. Alcoholism is a trigger for me, yet I read the first 20% of the book and I loooooved it.

The MCs are real and relatable. Monroe Wellman started becoming an alcoholic after both his parents died in a plane crash. Monroe had several fuck-ups since then and Erik Keston, his best friend who is unrequitedly in love with him since they were eighteen, had always be
Joyfully Jay
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

The Hate You Drink is an intense story, but also one filled with so much love and obvious caring between Monroe and Erik that it helps to balance out the more painful elements. N.R. Walker doesn’t shy away from showing Monroe hitting rock bottom with his drinking, nor from the pain his behavior inflicts on Erik. I could really feel Erik’s anguish as he loves Monroe and wants so much to take care of him, but he realizes that Monroe will never get better if he keep
Lelyana
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, from-author, arc, mm
My personal trigger warning.
Had been living with an alcoholic for years. Wasn't a pretty years at all.
But can't deny Nr Walker ;/

At first, I tried to deny this book and didn't want to read Nic Walker's book for the first time. But the temptation was so strong, like an alcoholic I was (I married an alcoholic, and failed), I was finally gave up and read the book, and I was hooked. I never used to like a doormat main character, but Erik stole my heart and I rooted for him.
I saw me in Saul, the ther
Rachel
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great read from N.R. Walker, though this book has a tough subject matter the author manages to convey it realistically alongside the love story. Highly recommended.
Bibliophile
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, best-of-2019
Will review later, but good read! I love a good friends-to-love story. Combine that with some good ol' fashioned hurt/healing and NR Walker and you have a winning combo. :)
*~*~Fawkes, Padfoot, and Prongs~*~*
Believe it or not, I lost my patience a few times throughout the book, because holy waterworks SO much crying [though I understand why they cried as much as they did] ... this felt like bubblegum ... it stretched on and on and on, and I was quite bored :-/, something I never expected myself to be ... !! Also, I'm not a fan of MCs being apart for a lot of the story, which these guys were! The writing was great, the topic was very important, the men were so incredibly sweet [Erik in particular], a ...more
Jenny Wood
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow…

What a relevant topic of today. Addiction.

I’ve gotta say that this one was incredibly emotional for me, as someone who not only has struggled with alcohol addiction but also grew up with an alcoholic father, it was so well written and described every part of the recovery process perfectly.

Erik and Monroe have been best friends since they were 18 and met in college. More than best friends though, one cannot function without the other, and since Monroe lost his parents in an accident three y
Shannon
4.5*
All the freaking feels. All the heartache. All the despair.
Definitely a heavier read than we usually get from Ms. Walker and I think she did a wonderful job portraying these characters, especially Monroe and his struggles. And Erik, with his love for Monroe, trying to do what he knew was best for his best friend, even knowing how much it would hurt.

My heart hurt for Monroe, he was just completely overwhelmed with all that life had thrown at him the past few years. He never gave himself time
Angela
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
What I read in this book was the copy-paste of a couple typical psycological behaviour when one partner has an addiction to alcohol.
The excuses were there -- Erik justified Monroe, Erik enabled him, Erik tried to gamble with Monroe; that 'if you drink I'm walking' is a typical response to alcoholism, because you're powerless against it and you feel it and it pisses you off.
I found it odd that the only help Monroe got was the psychotherapist. Usually, when someone is an high risk alcoholic like
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Author also writes as A. Voyeur

N.R. Walker is an Australian author, who loves her genre of gay romance. She loves writing and spends far too much time doing it, but wouldn't have it any other way.

She is many things; a mother, a wife, a sister, a writer. She has pretty, pretty boys who she gives them life with words.

She likes it when they do dirty, dirty things...but likes it even more when they fa
“But he asked if we could strip away our minds and our bodies and all the physical, material bullshit, if all that was left was the light of our souls in some vastness of space, if my light could recognise your light, and I said yes. Without a doubt.” 0 likes