Start by marking “Zonder mij” as Want to Read:
Zonder mij

Zonder mij

Maddie heeft alles wat ze zich kan wensen: een heerlijk leven, een goede relatie, ze is net zwanger en gaat trouwen. Maar dan is door een noodlottig ongeluk opeens alles anders.

Zes jaar later ontwaakt Maddie uit een coma. Langzaamaan wil ze voorzichtig haar leven weer oppakken, maar hoe doe je dat als voor jou alles in een oogwenk veranderd is terwijl voor iedereen die je
Published May 7th 2019 by Uitgeverij De Fontein (first published July 26th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Zonder mij, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zonder mij

Amanda
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Maddie and Ryan are days away from their wedding and are expecting a baby. Maddie is rushing around preparing for their big day when she is hit by a van, she wakes up in Hospital desperate to see her fiancé Ryan. Why is Ryan acting so peculiarly? She sees a newspaper and realises she has been in a coma for 6 years!!

The beginning of this book is from Maddie’s point of view, waking up after 6 years to find out you’re fiancé has not only moved on but has also married someone else.

I loved the way t
Amanda
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I loved the way t
Christine (Shh Moms Reading)
I’m perplexed on how I should feel after reading this one.

On one hand I loved the premise, I loved the relationships built, the characters...

But I felt like there were so many unanswered questions... what was the reason for the coma? Why was the ending the way it was? The ending left me hanging :(

I loved Ryan in the beginning..his love for Maddie but then I felt let down by him. And while I sort of liked Chloe I also didn’t because I felt like she started a relationship not being 100% genuine an
Katie
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I never write reviews, but I felt a burning need to share how I feel about this book. I have read a few of Dani Atkins’ books, so I had prepared myself for the strong possibility that I would end this book in floods of tears. However, I reached the last page dry eyed and unmoved.

I loved Maddie’s character and I was cheering for her throughout. Perhaps the struggle for me was that so very few things actually went well for her. I felt as though she was living a half life, and after everything she
☮ mary
Lydia Bailey
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! A real emotional rollercoaster of a read & very beautifully written. I love how Dani Atkins structures the book & how she manages to keep the reader from taking ‘sides’ as we become very emotionally invested in all four main characters. Such an impossible situation & incredibly sad & poignant throughout, though she somehow manages to inject humour too. So many twists & turns, it’s probably the most unpredictable book I’ve ever read. I have to say I was disappointed with ...more
Kirstie
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Some books you know that you’ll be recommending to people for ever. This is one of them

You start reading this thinking ‘I’m going to hate Chloe, how dare she take Maddie place’. Then Chloe is introduced and she is lovely and you can understand.

I didn’t really get Ryan but I really liked the mums.

When a book makes you cry you know it’s a good one

Loved it
Liz
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written and highly emotive story. I knew this was going to be an incredibly sad book but there were many uplifting moments too. I totally believed in the characters and felt sympathy for them all in different ways. The ending was a surprise, not sure if I liked it or not, but it made a change to leave some loose threads rather than have them conveniently tied up.
Irena
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come.
Erica (ricci.reads)
~Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I am not associated with the author or publisher in any way. My opinion is completely unbiased and entirely my own~

While I Was Sleeping is a contemporary novel about a 28 year old woman who wakes from a coma after 6 years to discover that life has moved on without her.

I found certain events that transpire a little far-fetched at times, but ultimately I was enthralled with this story and these characters.

I know this is cliche but it genui
Katie
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read and enjoyed all of Dani’s books but this one is by far my favourite. I was hooked from the very beginning and I loved how beautifully it was written. It made me laugh and cry and I adored how Maddie and Chloe’s relationship developed throughout the book. The way it was written felt like I was right there inside the story and the whole book just captivated me. I think this would make an amazing film if done properly. I think this is probably my favourite chic lit book I’ve read this yea ...more
Pamela Boyle
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my this book was amazing couldn't put it down defo best book of read felt so real between all the characters I'd highly recommend this book first time iv read anything by this author xx
Kate’s Book Spot
The last book I read by this author left me in floods of tears, it took soooo long to get over the emotion and has lingered in my mind ever since. So when this book dropped through my letterbox I had a feeling I’d need to stock up on tissues.

The first chapter raised so many questions, it got my heart pounding and left me desperate to know what happened next for Maddie. It’s unusual for me to become so emotionally invested in a story so quickly but the author’s words pulled my emotions from me wi
Susan Duthie
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Wow! Wow!. This is a brilliant must read story. I was hooked from the start and I laughed and cried throughout it. Maddie wakes up in hospital and discovers she has been in a coma for six years.. Life has moved on and everything that she knew has changed. Read on!!!
Carly
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg I’m emotionally drained!! A fantastic book.
Lady Delacour
While listening to this
family drama, it felt like
a lazy, popcorn munching,
Saturday afternoon,
at the local cinema.
Plausible - No
Enjoyable -Yes
Listened with TTS.
Clean with Foul Language.
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

I can just about see through puffed up eyes to write this review... While I Was Sleeping is a hugely emotional, cry-your-eyes-out type of novel - the sort I haven't read for a while. Dani Atkins has managed to pull together some of the hardest, heartbreaking situations into an entertaining, thoughtful and at times (okay, almost all the time) incredibly sad novel.

I have read This Love, also by Dani Atkins [read my review], and hugely enjoyed it, plus heard br
Jo
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I'll just start by saying that I have loved every single Dani Atkins book that I have had the joy to hold in my hands. So, when I heard that there was a new novel, I just had to read it. And, just like all the others, I absolutely loved this story. While I was Sleeping is full of love, hope and simply the joy of living. It's a huge hug of a read and I was so sad to say goodbye to this story as I read the final words.

Dani Atkins weaves an absolutely magical tale of love in the modern world, and w
Farhana Rahman
Liked this book but as always with Dani, it does tug at the heart strings. Was team Maddie all the way and had mixed feelings about Chloe. Liked Ryan at the beginning but he lost all respect towards the end particularly at his last sentence in the book. Wish it had a different ending in a way.
Siobhán Cullen
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Firstly thank you to Netgalley and publishers for the advanced copy

This is an honest review

So how can I review a book when I'm afraid to write anything for fear of leaving spoilers? This book is an emotional rollercoaster that will have you laughing and crying in equal measures. It will make you think. It will lead to open discussions, what if? Would you? It will stay with you long after the final line is read

This is a terrific book and 20% into it some of my friends had already pre ordered it

Pr
❤Marie Gentilcore
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, 2019
I really enjoyed this, even though it was kind of sad. Imagine getting ready to be married and then the next thing you know is you are waking from a 6-year coma. Life has moved on without you. This is what happened to Maddie. I liked her character very much. Team Maddie all the way.
Steph Hayward-bailey
Katharina-Luise
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although the ending left me kind of devastated it makes perfectly sense. This story was written so beautifully that I’m a little sad I finished it. Can’t wait for the next book by Atkins.
Lisa Bentley
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, I would like to thank the team at Book and the City who sent me a copy of While I Was Sleeping. I wasn’t able to attend their social due to work commitments but they made me feel included by sending me some party goodies.

Secondly, I would like to ask Book and the City what the heck did they think they were doing? This Book – While I Was Sleeping – has broken me. I mean, I am a shell of the person I was before!

While I Was Sleeping is the story of Maddie. At 28, her life seems perfect. Sh
Sally
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always enjoyed Dani Atkins and this was no exception. It's an emotional read with an interesting plot idea. I liked all of the main characters and the fact that we get narratives from both Maddie and Chloe. I didn't expect the ending!
Simona
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Book provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

This is going to be one of my BOOKS OF THE YEAR!!!

I know this now already, because it was absolutely BRILLIANT!!! On so many levels…

Imagine waking up from a coma six years later… Maddie was happily engaged to Ryan and four days before her wedding she is involved in a terrible accident. For the people around her everything changed, they kind of had to move on, when she wakes up again everything seems the same for her, but it’s obvio
Dawn
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.

Maddie has it all, a fabulous life, wonderful fiancé she is due to marry soon and she is pregnant waiting until after her wedding to share the news. One day tragedy strikes and she loses everything in the blink of an eye. I want to say so much more but I don’t want to give any spoilers.

I started this book yesterday on my commute to work and I had to breathe very deeply to stop myself ugly crying though this.
Sarah-Jane
I am honestly torn about this book. I definitely enjoyed it and when I wasn't reading, I felt like I wanted more time with it, as in I was excited to return to it. However, I really didn't like the story. Maybe it's a completely personal interpretation but the story was a little bit of implausible mess. No spoiler alerts needed as that's not fair but I didn't think that it fit into romance, comedy or chick lit. It seems as though no got a happy ending and every single story line that was opened ...more
Helen Edwards
Hmm . . . What to say. I liked this story for the most part. It was well-written and it was most certainly thought provoking. I felt so much empathy for Maddie. I have to say I began to dislike Ryan and Chloe, Ryan for basically letting Maddie down, Chloe for taking Maddie's place. I was most definitely Team Maddie! I didn't like the ending. I prefer Dani Atkins' earlier work. Her last two books haven't been as enjoyable in my opinion. I guess I just wanted a different ending - I'm not exactly s ...more
Tina Bou-Sreih
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstly a massive thank you to Netgalley, Simon & Schuster and Dani Atkins for a digital copy in exchange for a frank and honest review.
I LOVE Dani Atkins and have read all of her novels with absolute pleasure. "While I was Sleeping" is even more fabulous! I couldn't put it down, found all the characters thoroughly engaging and extremely likeable. This is intelligent, emotional fiction of the very best kind, definitely my favourite book of 2018! A must read for anyone, buy it, borrow it, re
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Five Years From Now
  • Apple of My Eye
  • How To Make A Friend
  • Soldier's Wives
Dani was born and brought up in Cockfosters- a small London suburb at the end of the Piccadilly Tube Line.

This served her well for commuting into the city, where from the age of 18 she worked in a succession of secretarial positions in companies as diverse as a BMW car dealership to the BBC. Dani spent her two hour commute avidly reading and dreamed that one day she would become an author herself