Start by marking “Culinaria: Germany” as Want to Read:
Culinaria: Germany

Culinaria: Germany

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  193 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Culinaria Germany invites the reader to venture a look into the cooking pots from Frankfurt to Berlin and from Hamburg to Munich. Whether freshly caught Matjes from the North, or original Swabian Maultaschen, this book’s authentic recipes, covering the full range of regional and national specialties, and its wealth of background information, can stir the heart of even the ...more
Hardcover
Published by Konemann (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Culinaria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Culinaria

Cheri
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite set of cookbooks. These are like travel guides. Each region is carefully explained, and the food that region is known for is detailed. The pictures are exquisite. The books are so heavy that I have to get them down off the shelf for my mom and put her at the dining room table (as she's too little to hold these in her lap)! In rating this, I realized I have not made any of the recipes in the Germany book, so I will have to give one a try soon. In general, I have much better pl ...more
Petra X
Aug 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is to die for. Not just the food or the fabulous mouth-watering photogaphy, it is a travelogue by food of Germany. Even if you aren't a cook (I'm not) you will be totally absorbed by this amazing book.
Jen
This book is REALLY great for learning about the regional variations of food in Germany. The stories about the foods, their origins, and how they are served are really well done, along with the photos. I consider this a cultural tour of Germany's food. However, the recipes aren't very detailed and don't work very well (and I live in Germany, so it's not a problem of getting the ingredients). For this reason, I use this as a reference only, and refer to other cookbooks for recipes.
SFBlau
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arrived... it's a big hardback coffee table style book

Beautiful photography, colorful insights, and mouth-watering recipes of one of my favorite cuisines. Something wonderful on every page. I will refer to this book frequently. I hope to find a good German Deli close by. My favorite Old Country deli in Palo Alto closed a few years back. =(.
Redsteve
A wonderful read. Not just a cookbook, but an account (by region) of all aspects of food in Germany: recipes, history, dining, culture, agriculture, food production, hunting/fishing and even the politics of food. Also useful as a travel guide for foodies. The recipes do presuppose a certain amount of cooking knowledge on the part of the reader.
Lara
Great cookbook! Each region of Germany has its own chapter including history, culture, and recipes that are central to that area. Great photographs too. I love it when a cookbook is more than just a dry compilation of recipes!
Marcus Sellers
  • Spice: Flavors of the Eastern Mediterranean
  • Quick and Easy Thai: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • Man Walks into a Pub: A Sociable History of Beer
  • A Return to Cooking
  • The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors: Recipes You Should Have Gotten from Your Grandmother
  • Meat: A Kitchen Education
  • The Lebanese Kitchen
  • Memories of a Cuban Kitchen
  • The German Cookbook: A Complete Guide to Mastering Authentic German Cooking
  • The Babbo Cookbook
  • Bon Appetit, Y'all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking
  • Garde Manger: The Art and Craft of the Cold Kitchen