Start by marking “Midas (The Midas Flesh)” as Want to Read:
Midas (The Midas Flesh)

Midas (The Midas Flesh)

The acclaimed team behind the Eisner Award-winning Adventure Time comic books, New York Times best-selling author Ryan North (Squirrel Girl) and beloved illustrators Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb (One Day a Dot: The Story of You, The Universe, and Everything), combine forces once again for an original sci-fi space comedy unlike the universe has ever seen! Space captain J ...more
Kindle Edition
Published May 1st 2019 by BOOM! - BOOM! Box

To ask other readers questions about Midas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midas

Start your review of Midas (The Midas Flesh)
Monika Sadowski
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun ride. Once for a while I like to read good comic book and of course I couldn’t go wrong with Ryan North. It is a sci-fi graphic novel about voyages of Cooper, Fatima and Joey with king Midas body :). Great story, a lot of action and good humor. Illustrations are great, and I liked the element of Greek mythology.

Thank you to NetGalley and publisher for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Chad
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-2019, 2019
This is such a weird concept for what is ultimately a sci-fi adventure. King Midas gets his wish that anything he touches turns to gold and instantly turns the entire Earth to gold. Thousands of years later three rebels harvest his body to use as a doomsday weapon against the evil federation. There's lots of twists and turns as our rebels are chased through space for Midas's flesh. Up to the last issue, the book was a lot of fun, at least 4 stars. But the finale to the story just brought the boo ...more
Arin
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copies
eARC provided by Netgalley
I really enjoyed this graphic novel! It was fast paced and I loved seeing a new, interesting twist on the myth of King Midas. All of the characters were interesting and I loved seeing them interact, especially when they would snap back and forth at each other. My only complaint was that there seemed to be a lack of exposition or explanation about the setting and what everything was which made getting through the beginning hard.
This is a pretty amazing story.

Suppose that when King Midas wish that everything he touched, turned to gold, that mean not that when he used his hand to touch something, but everything that touched him, including the air he breathed. And each molocule, in turn, would change things to gold, if it was touched, and so on, until the whole world, including King Midas were turned into gold.

And on that day, all life on earth died. And although gold was still rare through the rest of the universe, it wa
ReadBecca
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I requested and received a copy for honest review, thanks to Netgalley and the publisher.

A spacefaring trio of scavengers (two women and a dinosaur) on the hunt for a big score, discover a golden opportunity - literally. The planet Earth is encased in gold, making for an easy target, though they go in cautious, only to discover the epicenter is Midas and anything touched by his body quickly turns to gold. Flash back to Greek antiquity where Midas, drinking with Dionysus, is granted a wish and o
Lana
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Midas is a fast paced, action graphic novel. I enjoyed the story line, mythology and also the artwork. I love to read middle grade, graphic novels and this book was no exception. It was a bit long for my personal liking but I do think middle grade readers will enjoy the book!
Thank you to Boom! studios and NetGalley for this advanced reader copy, my opinions are my own.
Jill Kenna
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really fun take on the myth of King Midas. I really loved the artwork and the coloring was very nicely done as well. Our three heroes (two ladies and a dinosaur) start out their adventure by finding a planet made entirely of gold. They face gods, evil people, and many adventures along the way. There are people that want to take the special gold and turn it into a weapon to use it to gold-ify other planets and essentially suffocate them. I very much enjoyed this book and I really only ...more
Molly
This is SO. MUCH. FUN. Ryan North is rapidly becoming a favorite of mine after his run on Jughead, so when I saw that he had a book that contained both King Midas and a space dinosaur-scientist, I really couldn’t pass it up. It sounds so bizarre and unworkable on the surface, but it’s a really great science fiction romp full of really likeable characters.
Yvonne Olson
This graphic novel was interesting. I love the myth of Midas and his touch, and seeing it play out with a twist of SciFi was pretty interesting.
Michael
Stunningly illustrated, fun, intense, and haunting space adventure — really, a somewhat absurdly hard sci-fi approach to a mythological question: what would it mean for everything one touches to turn to gold?
Paul Decker
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*I received this book as an eARC from BOOM! Studios via NetGalley. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

I hadn't heard of this series before. When it was first released, it was titled Midas Flesh. This book compiles all of the issues from the series into a big, over 200 page collection. I read the whole story in just a few sittings.

I love books that have high concepts that really play into their unique stories. The basic premise of
Ivana
Midas is a graphic novel written by Ryan North. The illustrations were done by Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb. The plot of this graphic novel revolves around a small group of space explorers who come to Earth to find the reason it has turned to gold centuries ago. They find the corpse of King Midas and there starts their exploration of how he turned Earth to gold. They fight those who want to abuse the power of King Midas and in the end there comes to the re-creation of the universe and lif ...more
USOM
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

In Midas there are all sorts of mysteries happening - why are they on Earth, what is a T-Rex doing in space? But you quickly become accustomed to the world and you are in for a story about ethics. Each of these characters have backstories, scars from the brutal war against the Federation. It's a story about the ethics of war.

full review: https://utopia-state-of-mind.com/revi...
ngọc ♡
(B)

🚀 YOU CAN ALSO READ THE REVIEW ON MY BLOG! 🚀

Midas combines science fiction with Greek mythology in the most fun way possible. We have a team of two badass girls and a dinosaur (in space!!) looking for an ancient weapon that can help them destroy The Federation and bring about peace to the galaxy. The weapon is said to be able to turn everything into gold, and you can probably guess what it is. Yes, it’s the body of King Midas!

Admittedly, I wasn’t sold on the story at first, but I was
Phil
Disclaimer: I received a free ecopy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Suppose Midas actually existed. How would that work? What would it do to our world? This book explores those questions and throws a decent sci-fi story on top of it. A crew happens to discover the location of Earth millennia after Midas lived. Their goal: to use him to defeat the empire that is slowly taking over every planet in the universe by any means necessary.

I thought the idea behind this book was fantastic.
Tyler
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really good! Ryan North's writing is always hilarious, and the story concept is really interesting. It's a beautiful book too, which is why I couldn't resist picking up the graphic novel.

5/5!
Jason
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't believe it's taken me this long to read 'Midas Flesh' (or why it's taken this long for Boom Studios to release a full collection), but it's worth a read for some of the bonkers elements. Pacing and world building could be a little better. (e-galley from NetGalley)
Becky B
Many years ago a god named Dionysus gave a nice guy named Midas a wish. Midas wished for everything he touched to turn to gold, which quickly resulted in all of Greece and the rest of the Earth turning to gold. Now Captain Joey and her two friends Fatima and Cooper are seeking the mystery weapon that turned a planet that’s been wiped off the star charts to solid gold. They’ve figured out a way to get the weapon without turning themselves or their spaceship to gold, and they’re hoping with this w ...more
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Captain Joey and her space crew are approaching a hidden planet, known only in the ancient past as Earth. They have heard rumors that a weapon transformed the entire planet into gold, and they are searching for that weapon to protect their people against the dreaded Federation. But when the "weapon" turns out to be the perfectly preserved body of the legendary King Midas, can Joey and her friends still find a way to stop the power-crazed Federation general from enslaving their home planets?

This
Siina
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Midas sounded interesting for I'm a big fan of Greek mythology. Mythology combined with space odyssey surely is something! Cooper, Fatima and Joey are off to Earth that has turned into solid gold for some reason. Our heroes find the cause for this, a dead body of an old dude - King Midas. It all comes back to mythology and how Midas wished for the touch of gold and it surely happened so. The group gets a finger, but soon others are on the hunt too, since the possibilities are endless and soon th ...more
Betsey Yadon
SPOILER ALERT. Where to start. Why are the main characters seemingly humans and dinosaurs if life on earth stopped in the Greek time before space flight was a thing? I know life could arguably have developed in a similar way on other planets but it’s confusing as to why the author chose that path. It wouldn’t be such a big deal if the ending of the graphic novel didn’t have that strange epilogue about dinosaurs being on earth first. The dinosaurs set up in this graphic novel are from a different ...more
Caitlin
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
I am so so so glad I read this. I absolutely loved it! I loved the sciencey part of it, I loved the Greek mythology part of it. I've always been a lover of science and Greek mythology separately, but when I found out that they were going to be combined in this graphic novel, to say I was excited was an understatement.

Going into this graphic novel, I knew about the story of King Midas in very general terms and how everything he touches turns to gold, although I didn't know his name. I was always
Meg
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I see a book that has a dinosaur as one of the main characters and space travel, you know what - I just have to read it! Midas by author Ryan North illustrators Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb is super awesome in my opinion. The series was previously published under the name The Midas Flesh and for me, the cover of the original series is a little bit better than this one, but that's not really important.
Midas is geared towards the middle-graders, but I think adults will enjoy this comic bo
Sophie Jones
I enjoyed this graphic novel. A crew, including a dinosaur (which I loved), goes to Earth and tries to figure out what caused the whole planet to turn to gold. In this sci-fi universe, King Midas was real and turned the entire world to gold. Now an evil empire has hidden Earth from everyone else as they don't want anyone else getting their hands on whatever it was that turned a whole planet to gold.

Our team of lawbreakers, find out that Midas was behind the planet turning into gold and begin to
Angie
This starts out with the story of King Midas and his wish to turn everything he touches to gold. Of course that wish goes sideways and he turns the entire earth and everything on it to gold. Fast forward hundreds of years into the future when the story and location of Earth have been erased from the records by the Federation. Three young rebels learn of its location and are determined to find the weapon they can use against the Federation. Of course the Federation is not going to let them get aw ...more
Patricia Lim
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story begins with a crew of three colleagues aboard a spaceship to search for a weapon that will defeat the Federation. They found a super weapon capable of destroying the world. The graphic novel combines classic Greek mythology and science fiction.

I like how Midas combined myth and sci-fi. I am interested on how the Federation came to be but that would mean exploring the universe of the text and would span numerous volumes. I also like how the characters are diverse. The backstory of the
Ioanna
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Joey, Fatima, and Cooper are traveling through space. Destination: Earth, a planet completely covered in gold and dead for countless years. But what the space team uncovers is huge: the ultimate weapon, the one that killed the whole planet is King Mida's body! As more teams are searching for it (and not everyone wants to use it to do good), will the team be able to give earth a second chance?

Midas
Jennie Seaman
Midas is a fun reimagining of a classic myth. It explores actions and consequences. I enjoyed this new graphic novel from the creators of the Adventure Time comics.

Midas reimagines the myth of King Midas. What happens if Dionysus doesn’t put a limit to the power of King Midas and everything on earth turns to gold? What happens when another civilization finds Earth? What happens when someone figures out what turned the Earth to gold and decides to steal it for their own uses?

I enjoyed this story
Jeremy
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sharon
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, kids
On the cusp of YA, because there is a lot of danger and people dying and losing limbs etc. What I loved about this book (besides the ripping story and delightful, complex characters) was how morally complicated a lot of things were. The crew is out to bring down an empire, but they disagree on how far they're willing to go. There are characters who aren't bad people, but who trust the wrong people, for the right or wrong reasons. I don't know that the story dealt with the consequences deeply eno ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Hotel Dare
  • Pandora's Legacy
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • Bury the Lede
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 13: Indoor Recess (Lumberjanes, Vol. 13)
  • DeadEndia: The Watcher's Test
  • Dragon Hoops
  • Hilda and the Mountain King (Hilda, #6)
  • Queen of the Sea
  • Lumberjanes: The Infernal Compass
  • Mooncakes
  • Grimoire Noir
  • The Okay Witch
Hi, I'm Ryan! I was born in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada in 1980 and since then have written several books. You can read my Wikipedia page for more, or check out my author site at RyanNorth.ca!

I'm the author of the webcomic Dinosaur Comics (that's the comic where the pictures don't change but the words do, it's better than it sounds and I've also done crazy things like turn Shakespeare into a choose-yo

News & Interviews