Start by marking “Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Allegiance” as Want to Read:
Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Allegiance

Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Allegiance

(Star Wars: Marvel Miniseries)

BEFORE THE EXCITING EVENTS OF STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER! Hounded by the FIRST ORDER across the galaxy, the RESISTANCE is in dire need of ships, weapons and recruits to make a final stand against KYLO REN'S forces. Desperation drives a delegation led by GENERAL LEIA ORGANA and REY to entreat the Rebel veteran's one-time allies, THE MON CALAMARI, to join the fight - ...more
Published November 19th 2019 by Marvel Comics

To ask other readers questions about Journey to Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journey to Star Wars

Start your review of Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Allegiance
Ben Brown
Welcome to “Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Allegiance”….or as I also like to call it, “your bi-yearly comic book reminder that there’s a new “Star Wars” movie coming out in December.”

Like the YA-novel “Spark of the Resistance” before it, “Star Wars: Allegiance” is less a fully fleshed out narrative than it is a story-length advertisement for “The Rise of Skywalker.” That doesn’t mean that it’s devoid of artistic merit – anytime you’ve got Luke Ross onboard doing pencils, you’re
Michael Hicks
Marco Checcheto’s covers are phenomenal, but Ethan Sacks’s story and interior art by Luke Ross never do them justice. Meant to serve as a bridge between the fallout from The Last Jedi and the forthcoming film, The Rise of Skywalker, the story doesn’t do as much as it potentially could with its four issues, and that likely comes down to editorial mandates from the Lucasfilm story group.

The book as a whole, right up through its anticlimactic non-ending, is largely an unsatisfying appetizer for
Tiago
Dec 15, 2019 rated it liked it
One of the few limited series that really felt like canon material, and with that said, it was a pretty routine mission. Leia fly up to Mon Cala to bring the planet of Admiral Ackbar back into the resistance, but the story is super overdone by now, we've seen this a hundred times, specially if you've watched the Clone Wars series. One of the resistance leaders goes to another planet, they talk to the rulers, a group of opposers confront them, they fight, same old same old, there's even a trial ...more
Anthony
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Fairly fun story set between VIII and IX, which also ties a little back to the main Star Wars comic when Leia was previous on Mon Cala looking for ships. Though how much it'll tie into the movie remains to be seen.
Nicis
The Leia-Rey-Rose side of the comic was good. The Finn and Poe one wasn't. It balances out i guess.

Kudos to the art, tho. It's weird for a Star Wars comic to have constant good definition on the faces of the characters so I really appreciate it here.
C
Short version of this review: I was just not feeling this one at all. That really sums up pretty much everything that I am about to say so you can probably safely skip the rest of my review to be quite honest. But because I have been feeling verbose lately, (it comes and goes…) I will type out more of my thoughts than anyone needed on this graphic novel.

Alrightey then. What we have here, in my opinion, is probably the most forgettable chapter of the Journey to the Rise of Skywalker mini saga. By
Matthew
Really, really underwhelming. The "Journey to... The Rise of Skywalker" novels have been quite good, but this graphic novel was bogged down by sloppy art, poor writing, and lazy characterization. The Poe series and the "Shattered Empire" series (episode VII's equivalent to this series, "Allegiance") were both very strong, understood their characters, had good art and decent enough dialogue. This book was honestly a chore, an enormous let-down on the narrative, artistic, and character front.

Christian
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have to say, i’ve read the entirety of Disney’s new star wars comic line, and even though i’ve enjoyed some series a lot more than others, the quality on all of them have been pretty high. While some series, especially the one-offs (Mace Windu, Dark Visions, I’m looking at you), feel mostly like a cash grab with little substance, i still appreciate them and you could still tell that care and effort went into them.

However, Allegiance feels like a rushed mess, both narratively and visually. It’s
SkittishElf
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I find myself disappointed in a lot of Star Wars books, as they so often fail to add anything to my understanding of the characters, world, or greater story. So when I saw this at the book store I had to ask, "Do I need this? Do I have to read this?"
Well, no, I didn't. But I am glad I did. The art was fantastic, and the story was far more interesting and involved than most Star Wars comics. I felt we were shown a glimpse (however small) into how the current main characters are feeling after the
Sesana
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars, comics
Mixed. There are essentially two stories here, one better than the other. Finn and Poe have gone on a fairly generic mission to obtain weapons, and run afoul of some fairly generic bounty hunters who I guess may show up in the movie. The other, better story has Leia going to Mon Cala to try to recruit, with Rose and Rey in tow. This actually felt like a real story with real consequences. There is, of course, the actual process of making allies on Mon Cala, but there's also a look at a much ...more
Mario
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ethan Sacks pairs with Luke Ross to bring us one key element that will lead us to Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker, the reconstruction of the Resistance fleet.

On one end, Leia, Chewie, Rose and Rey travel to Mon Cala to plead for help, but not everyone is happy to see the Princess turned General, especially when the First Order has been known to punish everyone who helps the Resistance.

Meanwhile, Finn and Poe have a separate mission to retrieve an old Rebel weapons cache, but they find out a
Jordan Anderson
Short, and serving as a placeholder between Episode VIII and IX, Allegiance attempts, I assume, to set up what’s going to happen in Rise of Skywalker. For that, I’ll give it some minor credit.

But that’s about it. Overall, I found Allegiance to be much too short and really bringing nothing to the table. The writing was very so-so and what happens is a repeat of plot lines we’ve seen in the films, the titular Star Wars comic, and Ostrander’s Legacy line. What the hell is it with everyone’s
Claire
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I've read graphic novels before and while I certainly prefer novels, these can be a fun break. The whole Allegiance series, however, felt pretty darn rushed and a little disjointed. I hoped for more, but I understand this is just a lead up to Rise of Skywalker and we don't necessarily "need" it. That puts the creators in a tough place of needing to create an engaging plot while not revealing anything that spoils the upcoming storyline. A fun read, just maybe not worth the money.
Ahdom
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing I am excited for after The Rise of Skywalker is more freedom to tell stories with Resistance era characters and situations. This was a fun series that leads right up to the events in Rise of Skywalker. I was glad to see that Mon Calamari is still part of the pushback against the Empire/First Order. I am excited to see these elements play out in the film in some capacity and to see more stories in this era.
Sheldon
The problem with stories like this is that the movies are the main medium in the franchise, so the audience is expected to understand the movies as standalones. This makes stories like this one feel superfluous and packing the gravity to give the story and the stakes weight. As a result, we get a story that doesn't feel like it matters a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. While still mildly interesting, this one is just for the Star Wars fans
Martijn Van
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd road to the rise of skywalker story i dead. Its not as bad and pointless as Spark of the resistance and not as good as Resistance reborn.

An okay comic with some nice nods to earlier maintitle comics and the galaxy's edge comic. Above all we finally see some characterdevelopment on Rey. Poe and Finn sfilm havent kissed.
Paul Viebranz
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
The film characters felt spot-on, and the connections to past comic storytelling felt natural; connecting the two makes the Star Wars galaxy feel rich with history, and even if this is a pretty light read, it's good fun.
Ryan Dekkinga
Dec 15, 2019 rated it liked it
What feels almost like a sneak peak at what everyone is up to, post TLJ, this short, four issue arc does a decent job at conveying the overwhelming odds our favorite rebels are up against. Excited to see how much this story actually ties into the movie.
Rob
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Entertaining, but not particularly crucial in terms of story building. You'll get introduced to one new character who will appear in The Rise of Skywalker but will not be a big deal at all if you skip it.
Philipp Grzemba
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Amazing Art by the wonderful Luke Ross, but infuriatingly pointless and bland plot full of random stuff, stupid character actions and little to no sense make this an absolutely boring Scooby Doo Adventure. The Art is the only Reason why i can't rate it lower.
Nicolas
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
A quick adventure with the gang before The Rise of Skywalker. It was enjoyable, but isn't much on its own.

We discussed this further in an episode of the All the Books Show: https://soundcloud.com/allthebooks/ep...
Devon Sklair
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Interesting to see what the characters have been up to between movies. However, I felt like the contents didn't really reveal anything in terms of character development.
Roy
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actually surprisingly liked this
Chris
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars, marvel-sw
A fun little pre-episode 9 story.
Sammi Ann
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the comic issues... couldn't wait ...more
Jorge Figueroa
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sw
Skip this, this is terrible, this is the thing deserving the hate
Josiah
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent enough read before the film, with plenty of callbacks for previous eras.

3.5/5
Brianna  Brianna
Dec 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Storyline was pretty choppy, even for a comic taking place between two films. The artwork was alright, but the style distorted some characters and made them almost unrecognizable.
Jason
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun Star Wars comics to prepare for the new Episode. Not as fun as the Age of Resistance series but still engaging
Julie
Rey is as grumpy in this arc as she is in the Rise of Skywalker trailer. Also, I'm now really concerned about Mon Cala.

• Spark of the Resistance  (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #3)
  • Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Heroes
  • Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Villains
  • Star Wars, Vol. 12: Rebels and Rogues
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • Star Wars: Tie Fighter
  • Force Collector (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #2)
  • Star Wars: Vader - Dark Visions
  • Star Wars: Han Solo - Imperial Cadet
  • Star Wars: Doctor Aphra, Vol. 5: Worst Among Equals
  • Star Wars, Vol. 10: The Escape
  • Star Wars: Age of Republic - Villains
  • Black Spire (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #2)

Star Wars: Marvel Miniseries (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Star Wars: Princess Leia