Start by marking “Prisoner of Shadows (Lords of the Underworld #2)” as Want to Read:
Prisoner of Shadows (Lords of the Underworld #2)

Prisoner of Shadows

(Lords of the Underworld #2)

For more than five thousand years, Prometheus has been chained in the underworld. Every day, an eagle tears out his liver. Every night, he heals. When Hermes releases him in a gambit to save himself from his father’s wrath, Prometheus must adjust to a world that’s forgotten him. Hunted by the twins, Artemis and Apollo, he finds help in an unexpected place.

Julian Bell is
Published May 9th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Prisoner of Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prisoner of Shadows

Start your review of Prisoner of Shadows (Lords of the Underworld #2)
Meags
4.5 Stars

Prisoner of Shadows is yet another fun, fast-paced, fantastical romance in Burns and Fawkes’ Greek mythology inspired M/M series, Lords of the Underworld.

Here we follow Prometheus, who has been chained up in Tartarus, all alone and suffering through daily torture for over five thousand years – all because he created mankind out of clay, displeasing the Gods and resulting in Zeus swiftly banishing him to hell for an eternity.

When Zeus’ troublemaker son Hermes comes and busts Prometheus o
Christelle
After reading Prince of Death which entertained me quite a lot (nice world building, good pace, clever twists) despite fantasy not being my favorite trope, I decided to give it a go to this new book in the “Lords of the Underworld” series. Quite a fate as I knew it would feature a vampire, and I don’t like vampire 🙈

Once again, I was taken by surprise (in the best way) by the world building: these authors have a talent for getting their inspiration from Greek mythology and fantasy, taking clever
Cadiva
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Greek Mythology is second only to Arthurian Legend in my list of loves and makes up the second largest section of my factual and historical library of books.

So, when Sam Burns started writing this series with WM Fawkes I was seriously happy and, with book two now finished, I have to say it's been a two for two top quality five star reads for me.

This book goes a bit further down into mythology and steps into the Underworld in a surprisingly different place - with the Titan Prometheus - he who bro
Santy
I really enjoyed this, though not as much as the first which blew me away.

Basically, I felt this book was lacking something. I guess it might be how virtually nothing was shared about Julian's past except that he was a soldier who fought in one of the world wars. He was just presented as a badass and we were supposed to just go with the flow.I wish more background was given as to what happened when he was turned into a vampire, how he met Ollie, what he did in Europe for all that time(89 years),
Chris, the Dalek King
Thousands of years chained to a rock while a your liver is eaten daily from your still living body is not a great way to live. For all that you could call that living. But when Prometheus is freed by Hermes, the freedom is short-lived and bittersweet. Now on the run from Artemis and Apollo–on the orders of their very annoyed father, Zeus–Prometheus must try to take in as much life as possible before he is dragged back to the rock and the sharp beak. Strange that he would find the most and best o ...more
Joyfully Jay
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

Prisoner of Shadows is the second book in the Lords of the Underworld series and I am finding these books a lot of fun. I love the way the authors play with mythology and give a twist on the world of gods and goddesses, often with an irreverent spin. This story is set in the same world as the first, but the plots do not overlap, nor do most of the characters. Some of the gods and goddesses that are side characters show up in both books, and we get a super quick came
Stephanie   GooglyEyes
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the first one, but I LOVE this one.

I just want to thank these two authors for making me enjoy Hades and actually not fearing the underworld. Also, maki Zuess the bad guy? That's kind of funny, and seemingly accurate. He does seem like a prick. (Don't tell him I said that!) And Ceberes? Oh my gods, I want to scratch his heads!! I also like the updates done to the God's. Like Hermes and emails, etc... what impact social media has on the God's/Goddesses.

That being said, don't get your ho
Daesy
**grm**

The story was anticlimatic. The plot dragged for many pages but there wasn't much of it. Prometheus and Julian were an ok couple, but they didn't make me root for them and I wasn't really invested in what was happening. The book seemed well written, from the grammar point, but I wished there was more behind all the characters and the scenes we saw. It missed something and many things that we could have wished to know, like Julian's past or a better background story about Prometheus' punis
Mari  Cardenas
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25 Stars!

Prisoner of Shadows is book 2 in the Lords of the Underworld series and while it features a different couple from the one in the first book, I really suggest reading them in order. There's a lot of world-building that you'd be missing out on otherwise.

I loved Julian, he was so steadfast and supportive, a vampire cop who was intent on helping Prometheus from the getgo, even at the risk of his own, well, unlife. I really liked Prometheus, too. I felt bad for what he had to endure in Tar
R
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Julian the vampire, saved Prometheus, the god, from Zeus’s twin hunters after he was freed from Tartarus. Not knowing much about mythology, Julian doesn’t realize what or who Prometheus is. When he finds out it’s already to late, the man/god belongs to him and he will go to hell to save him and take on the gods to do it.

Snappy dialogue, sexy men, a god discovering a shower for the first time, and a vampire falling in love with someone he probably shouldn’t. Just a few of the gems in the story.

Su
haletostilinski
Overall, I enjoyed this.

We kinda of met Prometheus briefly in the first book, in that we saw him chained up and being tortured everyday, but that was about it. In this we got to really know Prometheus, and how unfair and unjust his "punishment" for thousands of years was. Prometheus was also a lot sweeter and gentler and more kind than I was expecting him to be and he totally won me over.

I enjoyed Julian's character too, a century old vampire who runs into Prometheus in an interesting way.

The
Carra
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I said it after reading book one, and I’m going to repeat it here. If you are a fan of M/M romance and love Greek or Roman mythology, this series is an absolute MUST for you. The way the authors weave the myths of the gods and goddesses into a modern day urban fantasy story—it’s masterful and actually made me feel like something like this could be possible. While not everything they’ve drawn on from those myths stayed the same when brought into this book, there was still a lot that did, reinforc ...more
~nikki the recovering book addict
4 stars!

Oooh!! This was good! Again, I’m pretty clueless when it comes to Greek mythology so I can’t say I know who is who and who does what. But so far, I’m very intrigued and impressed by the writing. Great plot, great problems and great solutions although, I don’t know what they plan to do to Zeus!

I’m looking forward to book 3 this July! I have to say though that I wish we saw the couple from book 1 😆
S a n d r a
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook

4.5 🌟

I liked this book even more than the first one, and I loved that one. I'm still awed by the authors skill over using Greek mythology and twisting it to create their own universe full of magic, shellfish gods and love.

This time we get to know Lore about Prometheus, the titan trapped in Tartarus for all eternity, chained to a rock while an eagle eats him. This is not a new myth, but as said before, they twist it to create something different. Here Prom
Shelby
4.5 Stars

This was such fun. I really felt for Prometheus. I mean his story has always been a sad one so I loved him finally escaping Tartarus and escaping the evil eagle always eating his liver. He was so stunned by the changes in the world and at such a loss before Julian saved him. He was a sweet soul. I appreciated Julian's unwillingness to give up on the lost soul he found on the street. No matter the odds he faced he wasn't going to abandon Prometheus to those chasing him. Of course the vam
Rachel Reid
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is the story of the two sweetest men ever, who happen to be a titan and a vampire, falling in love. I loved it.
Lillian Francis
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the first book in the series and I was thrilled when I realised that Prometheus would be the star of the second book. Freed from his torture by Hermes he stumbles out into a world that has changed beyond all recognition. His wide eyed innocence and wonder conflict with his size and godly power. I adored him, he was everything I want in a character. Julian made a great foil for him and their relationship was lovely.

I think the world-building is great and their take on the myths
Helke
Hermes isn´t a nice guy and you should be very vary of him. So when he comes to Tartarus to free Prometheus it isn´t to be nice to him but for selfish reasons. Prometheus has been chained in Tartarus for a looooong time so he has no way to find his bearings in modern world before Apollo and his sister will find him. He meats a vampire and they stick together against the siblings, no easy feat as Prometheus still hasn´t gotten his magic back and a vampire is no match for a determined god.
I love t
Denise
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2020
The second book in this delightful series wreaking havoc with Greek mythology for the purposes of wildly entertaining M/M paranormal romance features Prometheus, newly freed from millenia of torment and deposited into modern day New York by Hermes, falling for a vampire while on the run from vengeful gods (because why not?). Another fun read, with hopefully many more to come.
Amanda
Another absolutely wonderful addition to this series. I adored both Prometheus and Julian, and thought they worked wonderfully together. There was more fabulous world building and it’s still fascinating seeing a modern take on Greek mythology. There were some questions that I really wanted answered that weren’t, but hopefully we learn more with the next installment!
Jennifer Lavoie
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

I wasn’t sure how I would like the second book with Prometheus, but I really enjoyed the world building and the setting. I honestly had no idea vampires were part of Artemis’ legend and this was a really interesting take. I liked it a lot and couldn’t put it down. I look forward to the next book.
Natalie panda eyes
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-recs
Loved it, better than the first. Whereas the first book was mainly focused on insecurities, the gods are more involved in this one with the twins hunting down an escaped Prometheus.

Not only the action but I liked this pairing better. Escaped Titan and law upholding vampire is just wow. I liked the mix of personalities as well. Prometheus timid with PTSD but sturdy. Looking forward to the next one. Curious who is gonna end Zeus. Great story would happily read again.
Ela The Queer Bookish
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
It started with ‘the fuck am I reading?’

And then it got so much better. Seriously at the beginning I was considering to dnf it because Prometheus was so… one dimensional and stiff and just not… I didn’t get him at all. For someone who didn’t know anything about modern stuff he read so modern? An naive in a rather annoying way.

So I was really happy when the story shifted to Julian, because at least then it was starting to be fun.

And then. Then they met and I thought ‘okay, fine, this will be a s
Aerielle Bondi
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Prisoner of Shadows is the second book in the Lords of the Underworld series which has so far been a delightful twist on Greek mythology.
Prometheus has been chained up and tortured in the underworld for centuries but due to the schemes of others he is released and forced to try and survive in a world he knows nothing about. I found Prometheus to be utterly charming and sweet. He just seemed to have this innocence about him but as the book progresses his character grows and evolves.
This book al
Ashley
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Utterly Amazing

I love this series. Literally one of the best things I've ever read. I love the twisting of Greek mythology to make a more beautiful and nuanced story. And Cerberus!! He's the best boy and deserves all the belly rubs and ear scratchies! I honestly am unintelligible now, because my head is filled with love and joy about these books.
Devoted❤️Reader
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Prometheus stole my heart

I love, love, love this world, the unique takes on mythology/paranormal and the people in it! It's simply fantastic and I never want to leave once I start reading. Never thought I'd say this but I think I'd much rather live in hell. They seem so much nicer there and have a sense of humor.

Oh Hermes, someday your actions will catch up to you; I look forward to reading about it. I enjoy the verbiage that Julian uses to talk about himself (unlife's work, indeed) and he's so
Similar to Prince of Death, Prisoner of Shadows was an easy read. The romance was quick (this is clearly Exhibit B under insta-love), and while the plot had its exciting bits, there were no nail-biting moments of tension.

I liked Julian a lot. He's both strong and decent. I thought Prometheus would take after the alpha-male stereotype, but he was soft, and it led to a lot of warm moments between the two. I loved all the scenes when Prometheus delighted over little things like donuts or hot shower
John Altman

(10) Laugh out loud funny: N/A
(11) Love connection: 3.5 🌟🌟🌟🌙
(12) Main cha
Ajà
This book in one sentence: After years of imprisonment, Prometheus flees the underworld and crosses path with Julian, a vampire.
My rating: ⭐⭐⭐
Steaminess: 🌶️🌶️🌶️
My recommendation: This is a fun continuations of this greek mythology inspired series. I like that both characters are immortal, so the dynamic between MCs and storyline were quite different than those in Prince of Death. I feel like the characters, particularily Julian, could have been more developed.
Tropes: fast burn romance, gods and
Michelle
Another great book from Sam Burns and W.M. Fawkes. Think Percy Jackson but for adults only. Greek gods, magic, vampires, cute three headed hellhounds. Yes Cerebus is the size of a horse, but he's still a puppy. Loved the continuing saga but with a completely different couple than the first novel, so the action continues, the world grows, and we still get a love story. Prometheus was a favorite character as was his daughter Aidos, who plays a minor but profound part in the story as she is a refle ...more

• Heart of the Sea
  • The King's Dragon (Fire and Valor #1)
  • The Prince's Dragon (Fire and Valor #2)
  • The Assassin's Dragon (Fire and Valor #3)
  • Origin (Scales 'n' Spells, #1)
  • Knight's Fire (Scales of Honor #1)
  • How to Shield an Assassin (Unholy Trifecta, #1)
  • How to Lure a Hunter (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #3)
  • The Enchanter's Soul (The Ellwood Chronicles #2)
  • Hexxed (Witches of the Big Easy #1)
  • Wolfsbane (Werewolves of Boston #1)
  • Happy Endings (Demon Magic #1)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound, #3)
  • On the Wings of War (Soulbound #5)
  • Misfit Mage (Fledgling God #1)
  • How to Elude a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #2)
  • How to Steal a Thief (Unholy Trifecta, #2)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)

Lords of the Underworld (3 books)
  • Prince of Death (Lords of the Underworld #1)
  • Patron of Mercy (Lords of the Underworld #3)