Start by marking “Rancher's Wild Secret (Gold Valley Vineyards, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rancher's Wild Secret (Gold Valley Vineyards, #1)

Rancher's Wild Secret

(Gold Valley Vineyards #1)

He’s come to Gold Valley with a hidden agenda…

not to fall for his enemy’s daughter!

Emerson Maxfield is the perfect pawn for rancher Holden McCall’s purposes. She’s engaged to a man solely to win her father’s approval, and the sheltered beauty never steps out of line. Until one encounter changes everything. Now this good girl must marry Holden to protect her family—or
Published November 5th 2019 by Harlequin Desire

To ask other readers questions about Rancher's Wild Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rancher's Wild Secret

Start your review of Rancher's Wild Secret (Gold Valley Vineyards, #1)
♥Rachel♥
Bear with me, I've been on cold-meds and I'm a little fuzzy here, so I'm sorry for how this "review" turns out.

As usual Ms. Yates writing is lovely, bringing both Emerson and Holden's emotions to life, and I did feel some heat and chemistry between them. I think the sticking point for me was that Holden's revenge plot basically meant he was willing to steep to the level his target, Emerson's father, and I just thought how does this make Holden any better than Emerson's father? Yes, Emerson and
Aly
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's at the launch party for Maxfield vineyard new label that Emerson Maxfield spot a stranger outside and meet the new ranch hand. But the man she met that night, with who she share a part of herself later on is not the real Holden McCall. He's here for revenge and he's ruthless. And if using her to get the best of the one who hurt his sister is what he needs to do, than so be it, no ploy are too vindictive for him, not even blackmail her into marriage. Feelings get complicated soon and Emerson ...more
Maria Rose
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western-romance
This is a great start to a new series by Maisey Yates! Revenge is never quite what one thinks it will be. Full review to come at Harlequin Junkie!
Danielle
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Toni
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 Stars

This is the first book in the Gold Vallery Vineyards series in the Harlequin Desire line by Maisey Yates.

There are some things I really liked about this book and some things I hated. I am all about a good hate to love romance and this seemed to fit the bill. But this was really more vengeance to lust for me. I never quite believed Holden when he finally admitted his love for Emerson. That alone is what pushed it below the four star mark for me. I guess I am a happily ever after girl.

I
AlwaysV
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet and exactly a kind of story I Badly needed so that I could face reality of messy life. Wishing with all my heart that all the hardships in life could be handled and solved so beautifully and happily just like what Holden and Emerson had done. Triumphed together. Sharing the happy ending scene:

"I was wondering if you needed a ranch hand."

"What?" . . .

"The one time I had it right with you was when I worked here. When it was you and me, and not all this manipulation. So I
Becky
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, contemporary
Reviewed on my blog, Becky on Books, on 11/11/19.

Truth time--I didn't read the blurb for this one at all; I just saw it was a Maisey Yates book and couldn't even see the blurb over my own grabby hands. So I started it knowing absolutely nothing beyond the title and it was a new series--so certain aspects of the plot took me a teensy bit by surprise.

Steamy sex scenes? Complicated hero? Hero and heroine who think they know themselves but who actually don't have a clue? Totally expecting. Dark,
Crystal Gray
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was an okay story. The first half seemed to drag on and on, while the second half felt rushed. I wished we had gotten to know Soraya a little bit better, along with finding out more of what happened with James. This is where it felt rushed. The family dynamics were tested, and there were some surprising twists! I hope the other two sisters get their books. I can feel something between Wren and the "enemy".
Heather
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this Harlequin category romance, much-loved author Maisey Yates’s Gold Valley series comes to the Desire line with a spin-off called Gold Valley Vineyards. The first in the Vineyards series, Rancher’s Wild Secret is the story of Emerson and Holden. Emerson’s father is the owner of Maxfield Vineyards, and Holden is a wealthy man in real estate who seeks revenge on Emerson’s father. After succumbing to an undeniable attraction, Emerson and Holden are married as part of Holden’s plan for ...more
Donna Repsher
I am always eager to read a novel by Maisey Yates, and especially one that's the first title in her Gold Valley spin-off series, Gold Valley Vineyards in the Harlequin Desire imprint, but since I love getting lost in her books, I knew from the get-go that I'd want a longer read than is the usual in Harlequin Desire. I also had mixed feelings about the main characters, something else that is rare in one of Ms. Yates' novels, but it's the reason I cannot give this novel more than 3.5 stars.

From
Cheri
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This is the first book in a new series by one of my favorite authors, Maisey Yates. The series is a spin-off of the Gold Valley series (which is a spin-off of the Copper Ridge series). As usual when it comes to this author’s writing, this story sucked me in and held on tight all the way through.

Emerson and Holden are both so deeply flawed but, of course, look at these flaws as strengths. It’s not until their relationship holds a mirror up to each of them that they start to see everything they
Melissa
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Nate Brightman
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don’t know that I’ve ever read a contemporary romance where both the male and female lead characters started out so unlikable. Holden McCall is so wrapped up in his thirst for revenge he doesn’t care who he hurts as collateral damage. He also has no qualms with having an affair with engaged or married women as long as they’re on board with it. Emerson Maxfield at twenty-nine is still a daddy’s girl living her life to earn his praise and approval to the point of agreeing to marry a man in a ...more
Pam Graber
Emerson Maxfield has been engaged for two years to the man her father chose for her. Unfortunately, she feels no spark with him - at all. Her past experiences have led her to believe that she just doesn't "spark" with anyone, until she meets Holden "Brown", her father's newest ranch hand. She nearly goes up in flames at the first sight of him. Since she and her fiance aren't a love match, would it be so wrong to experience passion before she settles for something way less?

Holden McCall came to
Marcia
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in a new series always introduces many characters, but only a glimpse of most of them. Emerson Maxfield is the oldest daughter of James Maxfield, owner of Maxfield Vineyards. She loves the winery and has made it her life's work, realizing that she and her sisters have grown up with lots of privileges because of it. So much so, that she is willing to give up any future chance at love, by agreeing to marry a man her father picked out for her, a man who has no interested in her, only ...more
Gmr
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's the thing, I learned from the last Harlequin Desire book I read (which happen to be from this same series by the same author) that they are shorter stories, heavy on the romance, and more on the steamy/blush worthy side. This time around that description fit like a glove, but the story itself, I was a bit up in the air. I mean, I liked Emerson, and initially I liked Holden, but things go to you-know-where rather quickly and that turns what they had from a lust filled encounter of sexual ...more
Kari Hansen
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emerson has worked hard to create her own place in the family winery business and that includes being engaged to a man for business reasons not because she loves him. Her whole world is turned upside down when her father hires a new ranch hand and she becomes collateral damage.

When Holden accepted a position at the Maxfield Vineyards he had ulterior motives and he is not about to be swayed by a woman no matter how hot the chemistry is between them. What started out as one steamy night together
Dana Busenbark
Who is Emerson Maxfield? Who are Cricket and Donovan? Who are the Coopers Why does Wren get so upset when their names are mentioned? I wasn't sure how I felt about Holden at first. That started to change when he came clean about his intentions to Emerson. What did she do when she learned the truth? I loved what Emerson, Wren, and Cricket came up with in regards to Soraya. I love Soraya's words of wisdom to Holden. Read and see what happens!

RECEIVED THIS BOOK AS A GIFT FOR A FAIR/HONEST REVIEW
Moira
Dec 12, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Emerson and Holden meet and tge attraction us immediate. This is nit my favorite start to a story, however, the author makes their relationship work. Their connection is immediate and then they work on building a friendship and marriage.

When Emerson realizes what started as adversarial has grown into love she tells Holden. He runs scared and only after talking with his emotionally scarred sister, does he realize he lives Emerson too and goes back to tell her and try to save the marriage.

An easy
charity Harper
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steamier than Falcon Crest ! Revenge, Daddy issues, heat in the vineyards - I wasn't sure if it was gonna lends itself more towards western with a vineyard tied into it but had a sorta old soapy vibe reminded me in parts of Falcon Crest /Dynasty which kept me interested . The dynamic between the three sisters I found most intriguing and hope to read more about them in future stories .
The heat sizzles between the hero/heroine throughout the story first and foremost but it does change and deepen
JL
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If this book were like the hot sex scenes in it, it would be the equivalent of a very satisfying quickie. I'm a Maisey Yates fan and this book was no exception for me. I read it in one sitting and enjoyed it. The only downside with Harlequins is that there isn't room for any real character development -- but then, everyone knows that going in. I would give this one 3.5 stars. Thanks to Goodreads for this contest giveaway.
Vera Wilson
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emerson's family owned Wine Orchard in Gold Valley. She is engaged to a man her Dad promised her to in exchange for part of the family business. Didn't know what love was until she meet her cowboy, that was working at the orchard.
Wow, how can she marry someone she don't even have feeling for!! Seems she has tried to please her Dad and only thinking of ways to help the family business.
A little romance that lots of books.

Lovely Loveday
Rancher's Wild Secret is the first book in the Gold Valley Vineyards series by Harlequin well loved romance author Maisey Yates. A steamy holiday romance that is sure to warm your heart and leave you wanting more. A beautifully written love story with lots of undeniable chemistry. Grab your cozy blanket and a hot cup of tea because once you start reading you will not want to put this one down!
Vanessa Lawford
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emerson Maxfield is the face of Maxfield Vineyards, engaged to a man that her father wants her to marry.

Holden McCall is set on revenge against the patriarch of the Maxfield family.

This book kept my on the edge of my seat and I didn't want it to end.

A definite must read.

An ARC was kindly provided in exchange for a honest and voluntary review for Sweet Treats Book Blog
Jessica Figueroa
If your all about the smut then your gonna love this book, there is plenty of steamy scenes. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people. I'm a fan of Maisey Yates books so I was curios to see what she had to offer with this book. When you look past the sex this book really does feel rushed but for what was there was good I suppose. Maybe this book just wasn't for me.
Jessi
Holden McCall wants one thing from Emerson Maxfield; the means by which to revenge his sister's honor. Emerson is going to inherit a chunk of her family's winery upon her marriage and Holden wants to use those shares to get revenge on Emerson's father. So he seduces her and then blackmails her into marrying him. There's... not a lot else to the story. But it was still an entertaining read, setting up stories for sure for Emerson's sisters, Wren and Cricket.
Kathleen Booker
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read by Ms. Yates. Holden seeks revenge for his sister and Emerson seeks freedom from a boring engagement.

What they found was explosive chemistry.

Loved the way she was able to get her Dad out of the business and bring her sisters and Mom into it.
Look forward to more.
Rebeccastump
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it
Glenda
Dec 11, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
so far so good .. im a romantic at heart and it has hit all the heart strings so far
Sue Stewart
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good start to a new series but I didn't feel the connection between the two.
Will see where it goes from here.

• Twist of Fate (Heartbreaker Bay, #8.5)
  • The Rancher's Redemption (The Millers of Morgan Valley Book 2)
  • Sexy Dare (Sexy, #1)
  • Someone to Remember (Westcott #7)
  • The Deception (Maximum Security #2)
  • Wrapped Up in You (Heartbreaker Bay, #8)
  • Christmas with a Cowboy (Longhorn Canyon, #5)
  • Angel in a Devil's Arms (The Palace of Rogues, #2)
  • Cavanaugh Stakeout
  • Restless Hearts (Montana Justice #1)
  • This Earl of Mine (Bow Street Bachelors, #1)
  • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • Tacker (Arizona Vengeance, #5)
  • Southern Harm (A Southern B&B Mystery #2)
  • Pretty Daring (Rags to Riches, #5)
  • Pretty Prize (Rags to Riches, #2)
  • Tracking Game (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery #5)
  • Pumpkin Spice Murder (Frosted Love Cozy Mystery #17)
New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author Maisey Yates lives in rural Oregon with her three children and her husband, whose chiseled jaw and arresting features continue to make her swoon. She feels the epic trek she takes several times a day from her office to her coffee maker is a true example of her pioneer spirit. In 2009, at the age of twenty-three Maisey sold her first book.

Since then