Start by marking “The Girl in White Gloves” as Want to Read:
The Girl in White Gloves

The Girl in White Gloves

A life in snapshots…

Grace knows what people see. She’s the Cinderella story. An icon of glamor and elegance frozen in dazzling Technicolor. The picture of perfection. The girl in white gloves.

A woman in living color…

But behind the lens, beyond the panoramic views of glistening Mediterranean azure, she knows the truth. The sacrifices it takes for an unappreciated girl from
Expected publication: February 25th 2020 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Girl in White Gloves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl in White Gloves

Start your review of The Girl in White Gloves
Patricia
I enjoyed reading THE GIRL IN WHITE GLOVES. Although the author took some liberties with the story, the book feels right. To trade Hollywood for a crown is something hard to realize for an average person. I believe this book helped me understand her life a little more. It is quite amazing to think of all of the famous individuals she knew. I believe most people will enjoy the book as much as I did!
Renee Rosen
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From Broadway to Hollywood and onto Monaco, Kerri Maher takes us on the journey of Grace Kelly’s glamorous but all-too short life, filled with love affairs, fame, sacrifices and heartaches. Maher’s lush language effortlessly carries readers along, introducing them to such luminaries as Hitchcock, Oleg Cassini, Clark Gable, Frank Sinatra and Princess Diana while painting the picture of an unforgettable woman. Book clubs will devour this novel. Highly, highly recommended!!!
Cheryl
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Even after all these years have passed, Grace Kelly’s life still remains a source of interest, curiosity, and speculation among readers.

Kerri Maher’s novel is interesting and enjoyable. It’s admirable that she acknowledges that she has speculated about many aspects of Grace’s life, has also adjusted the timelines in certain cases, and advises readers to keep in mind that her account is a novel, with some fictionalized characters and thoughts, and that it is not a biography.

As a novel, this book
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Is it weird to say this story was both sensational and sad?

Who doesn't want to be a princess, swept up by her prince charming? But at what cost does being a princess come when you are already famous, a Hollywood sweetheart, who is independent and strong and does what she wants and suddenly are expected to be meek and subservient?

Even though I knew most of this story, and yes, a lot of it is fictionalized, this was still so interesting and so fascinating and yes, so sad.

Truly a great novel
Elise Hooper
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I fell headlong into this intimate story of iconic Grace Kelly, a complex woman who was so much more than simply a beautiful face. Elegant and romantic, THE GIRL IN WHITE GLOVES depicts an engrossing journey of transformation, complete with familial tension, betrayal, and redemption.
Heather Webb
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With a deft hand, Maher draws the reader inside the remarkable—yet often lonely—world of one of Hollywood’s most beloved stars, Grace Kelly. Told with great empathy for the woman who made history not only as a gifted actress but as an American princess, THE GIRL IN WHITE GLOVES is a captivating novel of love, family, and the cost of regret. I devoured it one sitting
Jillian Doherty
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The available pages offered were entirely too short; with illustrative quality and immersive writing, the story allowed you to see into Grace Kelly’s life.
It was just enough to leave you wanting more, to find out how she becomes her iconic self, later in life.

Her story is told by intermixing time periods of her life, casting a wide look at her experiences and interactions- this will no doubt be an idea read for fans of The Kennedy Debutante, and those who adore rich historical fiction!

Galley
Meghan
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Berkley Publishing Group in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I am familiar with the work of Grace Kelly but of how well The Girl in White Gloves was written knowing how difficult her life was because on the big screen she made it seem that her life was glamorous and perfect all throughout her entire career. Growing up in a rich neighborhood, Grace had a lot of expectations from her family
Catherine P.
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kerri Maher brings another iconic woman to life in this superb work of historical fiction about the life of Grace Kelly. I was thrilled to receive an ARC and learned so much about Grace’s life I did not know. The Hollywood years were fascinating. I especially loved reading Kerri’s descriptions of Grace’s life in Monaco knowing she was forming descriptions from her visit there. We romanticize those who marry into royalty, but, in fact, the constraints and expectations can be quite a roadblock to ...more
Annette
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2019
Every girl’s dream to be a princess. Grace Kelly was the epitome of a princess. She was stylish, elegant and full of grace. I thought the story was really good even with the slight liberties the author took. It was informative and I learned some things I didn’t know. Definitely recommend!
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the early copy
Jane
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Goodreads and Berkley for this ARC.

I've always loved the fairy tale of Grace Kelly and her romance with Hollywood stars (always married and older than her) and her marriage to Prince Rainier. This is a true love story and even though it's a historical novel, you know there is truth in it also. She really did love her husband and got used to being a Princess living in Monaco, and she got frustrated and irritated with him after 25 years of marriage (which was close to the end of the
Lucy Smith
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Behind the curtain.... historical fiction of Grace Kelly - shows that life can have two sides - the public and the private. The novel shows the life-long power her father had in her life and her need to excel and her thirst for approval on the stage. The book was an easy read and makes the reader wonder what was actual and what was embellished. It also showcases how public life and private life can sometimes be very different.
Julie Klein
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Girl in White Gloves is an interesting fictional portrayal of Grace Kelly's life. With alternating chapters, readers learn about Kelly's childhood family dynamics, her introduction to acting, and later her marriage to Prince Rainier, among many other aspects of her life. I would certainly recommend this book to fans of Marie Benedict's recent historical fiction novels.
Shannon
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Grace Kelly was the world's Cinderella story. She was elegant and glamorous. She was the picture of perfection. Growing up in the 1950s, she was the princess all little girls wanted to be. According to Kerri Maher's new novel, The Girl in White Gloves, Grace Kelly's life was anything but princess-like. It was more like Megan Markle's, the duchess of Sussex, 2019 reality show.

Growing up in a rich neighborhood, Grace Kelley had a lot of expectations from her family and the Hollywood screen
Brooke
At first glance, it would seem that Hollywood icon Grace Kelly led a charmed life - first as an award-winning actress, and later as the Princess of Monaco - before her tragic demise in a car accident in 1982. Grace, who was not only extraordinarily beautiful, but wildly talented too, captivated audiences both on the screen and in person during the 1950s, acting alongside big-name stars such as Clark Gable, Gary Cooper, Cary Grant, Bing Crosby, and James Stewart, and conducting illicit affairs ...more
DeAnn
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
3.75 surprising stars

I thought I knew the story of Grace Kelly, but according to this fictionalized tale of her life, I didn’t really know much about her. For example, she really needed to wear glasses full-time, but for appearance sake, she often went without on stage, etc. leaving the crowd a big blur. I also didn’t realize that she was from a wealthy family herself. She also wore gloves much of the time, hence the title of the book.

There were so many famous people that were part of her life,
Jess Combs
Nov 19, 2019 is currently reading it
I thoroughly enjoyed this peek into the life of Grace Kelly. It’s written in such a way that you actually feel as if you’re spying on this icon. The story felt intimate and almost too real. I loved every page of it!

The story goes back and forth between Grace’s struggle to make it on Broadway and her life after she’s left Hollywood behind for life in the palace in Monaco.

Grace spends so much time chasing after approval and dreams. Unfortunately, the two don’t always compliment each other. Her
Tracy Susko
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent read. This is the first time I had read a work of fiction based on Grace Kelly's life. I am glad this was the first, because it was very well written. I check facts while reading, I am just that kind of geek I guess, but I was pleasantly surprised to find the internet photos of events and people to match what I was reading in the book. When I read about Grace meeting Rainier, the photos I found online of their meeting were exactly what I was picturing in my mind! The only ...more
Chris
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reading this book was like a guilty pleasure and couldn't put it down!! A bit gossipy, a lot of knowledge of the Hollywood of the 50's - 70's, a good grasp on Grace Kelly's public life and a good fictional take on what her life was like during those years. I loved Maher's take on Grace's relationships with her stars, directors and other men in her life but really enjoyed her take on her friendships with women and how she interacted with the people in her life, with her importance toward the end ...more
Caroline
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you've ever wondered about the life of the glamorous Grace Kelly the "The Girl in White Gloves" by Kerri Maher is the book for you. Well written with clearly defined characters, what one might expect to be a "Cinderella story" of an actress transformed into a modern day princess, may hold many surprises for the reader. I found the facts surrounding Grace's transformation from a Philly gal to a glamorous movie star and finally a Princess of the principality of Monaco to be somewhat surprising ...more
Jeanne
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fictionalized book about Grace Kelly aka Princess Grace. Kerri Maher, author of The Kennedy Debutante, does a really good job of pulling the reader into the story. Grace had a rough but well-heeled childhood with a father who could never be pleased and a mother who let it all happen without saying a word. The book starts with Grace as a struggling ingenue and follows her through her marriage to Ranier of Monaco. Not meant to be a spoiler, but wow! This version of her life shows her to ...more
Katherine
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads, reviewed
Wanted to like this book but there was no depth to the plot or the characters. Every aspect, including the totally fictional voice of Grace Kelly was superficial. It was like reading the old tabloid exposes of her comings and goings with none of the breathless, lively writing of the gossips. Sad to think this book will probably sell because of its purported basis on Kelly's life. Its an average novel about a skeleton of a main character that would probably not grab much attention without that ...more
Angela
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
First, thank you to BookBrowse for providing an ARC of this book. Due out in February, 2020.

Gosh, I wanted, really wanted, to love this book. I have been a big fan of Grace Kelly since I was a young girl. But no. The language of the book is so flowery - five adjectives where two would have been sufficient. At the end, I felt the author painted Grace as an insecure and shallow woman. I have read so many historical fiction novels recently where the women were strong despite or because of
Natalie
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book that captured the time when everyone saw Grace Kelly’s life as the ultimate fairytale. Of course, it was not. Maher clearly has done a tremendous amount of research and despite the fact that she alerts the reader to the fact that she has added and manipulated the details, it still rings remarkably true to those of us who remember that time, before Disney, when we had our own Princess Grace.

Her film career, though short, was memorable. Her romances before Rainier were
Debbie
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was an interesting take on the life of one of America’s most favorite legendary actresses, Grace Kelly. The author immerses us in her home life with her controlling parents. We experience all her struggles to break free and forge her own life. Through her movies and many loves Grace tries to become a strong woman and live a full life. She marries her prince and hopes to live happily ever after but she never truly succeeds. The confinements set in her marriage contract limit her ...more
Barbara
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I know this is a work of historical fiction and not a biography, but Kerri Maher wrote a book that makes you think Grace Kelly is telling you her innermost secrets. I enjoyed this book tremendously! Not a dishy book, but a book that provides a glimpse into what strength Grace Kelly had in her career and life. An excellent read!

Thank you Goodreads Giveaways and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book early. This is my honest review.
Elizabeth
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed this book about the life of Grace Kelly. She was a very beautiful and talented woman who had the brains and guts to deal with some of the men in Hollywood. She was someone though who was always looking for love and acceptance from the men in her life and not always receiving it but learned how to accept it. It was so sad that her life ended so soon. Thank you to Berkley Penguin Random House for the ARC.
Chaya Nebel
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I did not enjoy this book as much as I thought I would, because of the way the material is presented: neither as fiction, nor as non-fiction, but something in-between. I felt there was not enough fiction to satisfy an historical fiction craving, and yet the author takes liberty with the historical facts just enough for it to annoy die-hard fans of Grace Kelly who want to know about her real life.
Joyce
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very intimate historical novel revealing details many not aware of about Princes Grace of Monaco.
Her independence throughout her life was stifled by her father, men in her life and her husband.
It appears she found some peace prior to her untimely death by giving poetry readings in England.
so sad she was such a troubled woman who hid her sadness from the world proving what a great actress she really was. A VERY GOOD READ.
Sara Smith
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-reads
I received a free ARC of this book through Netgalley. I didn't know anything about Grace Kelly other than she had acted in some movies and that she had married a prince. This really engaging book is told from her POV in her own life with dealing with her family and becoming an actress and then becoming a Princess. Such a life! I looked her up online after reading to read more about her life and death. This book was very hard to put down.

• Wife After Wife
  • The Little Bookshop on the Seine (The Little Paris Collection, #1; The Bookshop, #2)
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • The Whispers of War
  • And They Called It Camelot: A Novel of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis
  • The Big Finish
  • All Adults Here
  • A Week at the Shore
  • The Red Lotus
  • The Christmas Spirits on Tradd Street  (Tradd Street, #6)
  • All the Ways We Said Goodbye
  • The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany
  • Been There, Married That
  • The Glittering Hour
  • Eight Perfect Murders
  • The Body Double
  • All This Could Be Yours
Hi! So great to see you on Goodreads - it's such an amazing place for readers and authors to connect.

I live outside of Boston, MA, with my daughter and labradoodle (whose adventures I sometimes post on Instagram, along with many other writing themed posts).

I am the author of THE KENNEDY DEBUTANTE and THE GIRL IN WHITE GLOVES, both of which you can see here. I am working on a novel called THE PARIS