Start by marking “The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)

The Queen's Assassin

(Queen's Secret #1)

Perfect for fans of Sarah J. Maas and Red Queen, this is the first novel in a sweeping YA fantasy-romance duet about a deadly assassin, his mysterious apprentice, and the country they are sworn to protect from #1 NYT bestselling author Melissa de la Cruz.

Caledon Holt is the Kingdom of Renovia's deadliest weapon. No one alive can best him in brawn or brains, which is why
Expected publication: February 4th 2020 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Queen's Assassin by Melissa de la Cruz
    The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
    Release date: Feb 04, 2020
    Enter to win an advance copy of THE QUEEN'S ASSASSIN by #1 New York Times bestselling author Melissa de la Cruz!

(No PO boxes please)

Caledon Holt is

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 4544 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Dec 04 - Jan 03, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Queen's Assassin, please sign up.
    sophie I'm guessing it's a duology since it's described as a sweeping YA fantasy-romance duet.

Start your review of The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
    Benjamin (The Maniac)
    Oct 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
    I'd rather say "Voldemort" a thousand times before reading one more book with the word "queen" in its' title.
    Nicole
    Aug 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
    I received this book from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Spoilers and swearing follow.

It has been a while since a book has earned a not-so-coveted position on my "wtf is this shit" shelf. However, this book earned it by around page 30. In fact, the only reason I didn't DNF this book was train wreck syndrome. A part of me kept hoping that it would get better. de la Cruz is such a prolific writer that this book can't be this bad is what I kept telling myself. Oh, my friends, it is that
    Nadhira Satria
    THAT COVER
    Hailee
    Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favorites
    I was given an advance reading copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I think this book started off a bit confusing, but around chapter ten everything started to come together. For a little while I didn’t think I was going to like this book that much because of how slow it seemed to be going, but all of a sudden I was sucked in. I could not put this book down. I adored the characters, the world, the romance, and the twists and turns that kept the story so interesting. This book was
    ♠️ TABI ♠️
    Jul 24, 2019 marked it as to-read
    I've been burned by this author a few times so here's just hoping she actually finishes this newest series :P
    Cat
    Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    As someone who went through middle and high school reading the Blue Bloods series, to see this new book by Cruz waiting for me, I was immediately struck by the need to sit down and read it all the way through. Which I absolutely ended up doing, and I don't regret at all. Cruz has the innate ability to build a world that you have no trouble believing in, with romances that rock your world. You need to see them live happily ever after right from the get go and yet she's prepared to make them ...more
    Fanna
    Dec 03, 2019 marked it as definitive-tbr
    Shelves: 2020-releases
    YA fantasy-romance? a deadly assassin? a mysterious apprentice? okay, fine, I'm ready to be swoon away by this book.
    Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
    Finally, a full synopsis, cover and release date :D
    Chris B. (1 More Chapter)
    From the blurb: "... and the country they are sworn to protect from #1 NYT bestselling author Melissa de la Cruz."
    You know an author is prolific when people are sworn to protect the public from her. :-)
    Michaela L.
    Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I won an arc of this title and it was so very good! I was initially drawn to this book when it was suggested for Red Queen fans and it did not disappoint. I love the main characters so much. It was so much fun to watch them butt heads and see inside their minds and watch their relationship build. There are so many twists and turns and they start within the first few chapters. I NEED the next installment NOW! ...more
    Faith Rice-Mills
    I'll admit that I read this first look just because the author was Melissa De la Cruz. I have read many of her books before and have not been disappointed. The Queen's Assassin begins with the back story of a country embattled over magic. I love that it begins with a history of the fantastical world, rather than left me to figure out who the various peoples and characters were on my own. Then, there is a brief prologue about what happened the days following the hero King Esban's death. His ...more
    Sarah Anne
    Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Wow. I wasn't too sure at first on the book but once more started happening I got into. The ending really has me excited and curious as to what will happen next. I won this ARC from Goodreads :)
    Taylor (Frayed Books)
    Actual 3.5/5 stars.
    Leen
    Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    4/5 stars

The Queen’s Assassin by Melissa De La Cruz had an extremely intricate and finely woven story line. It was set up in a way that made you believe that this kingdom with its Kings, Queens, and mages actually existed. It had a solid history with so many details that sometimes it was a little hard to keep up. In a good way. In other words, the story had so many underlying tales and mysteries that kept being uncovered. I couldn’t help but gasp every chapter or two at the secrets that were
    Beverly K
    Sep 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
    This is a fantasy novel as written by Mojo Jojo. It is repetitive, reinstating the same point over and over. Moreover, it is inconsistent, jumping POVs within a specific frame and not sticking to a particular point.

I tried. I wanted to like this book--assassins are, like, one of my favorite fantasy tropes ever. But I think I'll give this book a hard pass.

I received a free copy of this book from Goodreads Giveaways, probably in exchange for an honest review? That's how LibraryThing's giveaways
    Ava
    Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    There are a few spoilers in this review, but it's probably better than taking the time to read this book...and I can't even be sorry.
    Giving this book a 2 instead of a 1 for casual inclusion of LGBTQ characters in positive relationships. Otherwise, this book was something else.
    I'm shocked it's being published in 2020; this kind of book should have been left in 2012, when YA was still finding its feet.

Shadow is a young noblewoman (I think? It's implied that she has to go live at Court and
    Mary Seaman
    Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: ya
    ARC provided by Edelweiss

Did not finish at a third of the way in.

I really tried to get into this one but I think the author's writing just isn't my style. It's repetitive and way to describing. I found the characters to be bland, and I wasn't excited to pick it back up. I think the concept of the story is really good but I just don't think this book was for me specifically. Doesn't mean it isn't a good book, just not my type.
    Tracey
    If I were a teen fantasy-lover, I would probably have given this a higher rating.

However, I'm an adult who has read lots of fantasy written for all age levels. I found the story and the setting to be good, though not very intricate. And the love/hate relationship between the two main characters to be frustrating and annoying.
    Jess
    Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    i’ll write a review soon, but definitely worth picking up!
    Sara
    Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arcs
    *I received an advanced reader copy of this book from Indigo Books & Music Inc. in exchange for an honest review*

This story is told through two alternating perspectives:

1. Caledon Holt - the Queen's Assassin who has dedicated his life to finding the missing Deian Scrolls.

2. Shadow - who lives with her two aunts and wishes to train to become a Guild Member.

I liked the premise of this story. However, many aspects of it fell short for me. There seemed to be a lot of easy fixes written into
    Natalie Smith
    Unfortunately, I have to say that this book is more of the same. We have seen this basic theme from a large number of YA authors in recent years, and although the author of this novel is clearly talented, the over arching themes and plot are not unique enough to keep me interested. I can honestly say that I was unable to see the clear distinction between this novel and some of its predecessors.
    Although much of the bulk of the book seems similar to others, the characters were likable and at
    Sophie
    Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: giveaways
    Received an ARC of The Queen's Assassin.

The simplest thing I can say is that it was dull. The concept was fine at a high level, but the execution was (as I said) dull. Instead of weaving it into the story, the world building was just kind of dropped into historical asides. The plot finally started picking up the pace in the last 50 pages or so. This might actually have been a really good novella.

I'm a completionist (even when I hate the book and myself for reading it). This is billed as Book 1
    Kat
    #TheQueensAssassin
    #Edelweiss
    Young adults will enjoy this fantasy novel. Personally, I found the POV confusing and hard to follow. It was fast-paced and has a interesting plot. The characters felt a little a flat, but that could be from the POV issue. I love Melissa de la Cruz books and I think this could be something different she is trying. Just not my favorite, but a solid read.
    Thank you to Penguin and Edelweiss for the opportunity to read and review The Queen's Assassin.
    Tânia
    I'm always happy to read about assassins and characters forced to team up to save the world.

Blog // Instagram // Twitter // Redbubble
    Caitlin
    Review to come, received as part of a Goodreads Giveaway
    Jenn
    Oct 21, 2019 added it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: own, arc, dnf
    DNF. I made it about 30% in this one. This story is just bland. No one has much of a personality and nothing much is happening. Too many books, too little time.
    jazzy
    Jul 28, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    “Perfect for fans of Sarah J. Maas and Red Queen...”

SAY NO MORE.
    Kaylie Montgomery
    Aug 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
    I can’t wait to read this book. Finally, a fresh fantasy series!
    Katherine
    Stopped at 34% because the combination of a writing style I didn't like and the fact that very little happened until this point adds up to this just not being a book I want to see through to the end.
    Bookish First Rea...: The Queen's Assassin by Melissa de la Cruz 6 5 Nov 19, 2019 05:59PM

• Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
    • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
    • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
    • Tweet Cute
    • The Kingdom of Back
    • The Lady Rogue
    • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
    • The Upside of Falling
    • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
    • Cursed
    • Oona Out of Order
    • Steel Crow Saga
    • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
    • Hot Dog Girl
    • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
    • Red Hood
    • A Treason of Thorns
    • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
    Melissa de la Cruz is the New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of many critically acclaimed and award-winning novels for teens including The Au Pairs series, the Blue Bloods series, the Ashleys series, the Angels on Sunset Boulevard series and the semi-autobiographical novel Fresh off the Boat.

Her books for adults include the novel Cat’s Meow, the anthology Girls Who Like Boys Who Like

Queen's Secret (2 books)