Start by marking “Hiccup The Seasick Viking” as Want to Read:
Hiccup The Seasick Viking

Hiccup The Seasick Viking

(How to Train Your Dragon #0.5)

Poor little Hiccup is spooked by the sea, and he's to make his first voyage soon -- next Tuesday. His dad, Stoick the Vast, says there's no such thing as a frightened Viking. But Hiccup's about to find out otherwise. Hiccup's hilarious tale shows the true meaning of bravery, and the delights that await when one faces one's fear.
Published September 1st 2000 by Scholastic (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Hiccup The Seasick Viking, please sign up.
The Grimm Reader To answer my own question, yes, Hiccup the Seasick Viking and How To Be A Viking are the same story. Hiccup the Seasick Viking was republished as How…moreTo answer my own question, yes, Hiccup the Seasick Viking and How To Be A Viking are the same story. Hiccup the Seasick Viking was republished as How To Be A Viking. I answered this in case anyone else had the same question. (less)

Start your review of Hiccup The Seasick Viking
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
Cute little short story about Hickkup's first time he went to sea.

I think it's an excellent way to get kids to read this series. It's just intriguing and short enough to awake the imagination and left you wanting to know more!

Hickkup
Britta ★ Nachteule ★
A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E!!!!
Rubi
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was ok.
I liked the message. Kids do see adults as wise people who are scared of nothing, and it's good for kids to look up to their parents, but it's also good to show them our weakness sometimes.
They realize they don't have to be perfect and its ok. That could make them stronger, like Hiccup. They can learn that way.
And sometimes kids CAN teach adults a thing or two, or remind us of something we've forgotten. We as adults should be more open. I mean, it was Hiccup who brought them hime.
Donna Mork
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Little viking is scared to go off to sea. His father says no vikings ever get scared. They go off to sea and a really bad storm makes him sea sick. Then everyone gets seasick. The little viking figures out if he is in charge and steers the boat, he is not so scared. He gets them all home quickly. He figures out sometimes vikings get scared.
Kerri
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Cute story about facing your fears and realizing that Everyone is afraid of Something.
Jason
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very sweet little book about a kid who is worried he won't be a very good Viking, he is due to go to sea for the first time and he is terrified.

This is where how to train you dragon all started, there is a lovely introduction explaining how the idea all came about.

Nice illustrations and a quick read. Also plenty of opportunity to do some silly Viking voices.
The Grimm Reader
This is one of the best children's books ever. It is completely adorable and heart warming.
How to Train Your Dragon has been one of my favorite stories sense before I could read, when my sister and I would listen to the silly voices narrated on our boom box. And once I realized this was the inspiration for that story, I just had to get it.
It is so cute. Your heart just gets all warm and fuzzy the minute you open to the first page. The art is adorable and there is no way to describe how you
Donna
Just finished reading the audible version of HOW TO BE A VIKING written and narrated by CRESSIDA COWELL. Featuring the beloved main character from the celebrated How to Train Your Dragon series, here's an exciting adventure that shows what it really means to be brave. Vikings are brave. But Hiccup isn't like other Vikings. He's afraid of everything... including the sea. When Hiccup heads off for his very first ocean voyage, his seasickness is the least of his worries! The Vikings are lost in a ...more
Kristen
Ran across this at the library the other day and HAD to grab it. I'd looked for this in the past, so the library must have gotten in over the last year or something. I was so excited. This is a book that my husband actually sat in on to listen as well.

I liked the introduction by Cowell, about how this is what started her crazy journey with the How to Train Your Dragon series...when she was very young. The story was actually good too. It shows kids that parents can be wrong and things aren't
Julie
Cute prequel to the How to Train Your Dragon Series; a good book for children who are shy, reluctant, or apprehensive about trying new things, to encourage them to face their fears and gain strength and courage from experiences. Hiccup, afraid of going to sea with his heroic viking father, Stoick the Vast, learns all of this from his seafaring adventure. There is a nice author's note at the beginning where Cowell talks about her relationship with her own larger-than-life, fearless father and how ...more
Viviane Elbee
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is the very funny story of Hiccup, from the HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON series. The kids liked the movies and they laughed and smiled throughout this story.

It was nice to see the sketches that started the story.

This book is on the longer side, so it's better for kids who can sit through longer stories.
J Monroe
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun book. It's a picture book, just in case you were wondering, but good nonetheless. It tells the story of Hiccup's childhood and if you read it then you will probably understand the How To Train Your Dragon series a little but more.
Sarah Mack
Our parents are not always as wise as our grandparents, even if old peoples breath can stink of fish. An enjoyable book pitched at a much younger audience than How to Train Your Dragon but with the same feel. The drawings are cute too. ...more
Miss Ryoko
This is where the How to Train Your Dragon universe all began. It was cute and clever, a good start. I'm glad it inspired something more from Ms. Cowell. Because it got better from here.
Enola Stevenson
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: girls-18-19
One of our absolute favourites...we absolutely LOVE the Viking song 😍 one of those fun 'do the voices' stories with a sweet message, playful language and fantastic lively illustrations.
David Haggett
I know it's by Cressida Cowell and it's fiction, but I prefer historical accuracy about the Vikings.
KT
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute!
Nichole Hack
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a cute little story. :)
 ☘ Fifi's Journey
Sweet story. Adorable. Nice funny drawings like in all the other How to Train Your Dragon books.
Mehsi
Never read the How to Train Your Dragon series, but when I saw this one in the library I just knew I had to read it. And luckily you also don't need any knowledge of the series to read this one.

This one is about an adorable little Viking named Hiccup (I just love that name! Though I do wonder how his parents got to call him like that.), unlike all the other Vikings he is pretty much afraid of everything and prefers to do calm and polite things (yes, totally not what the Vikings are about in this
G
Unlike, it seems, the other reviewers, I purchased this book because it had *Hiccup* in it; as a HTTYD movie watcher, I eventually made it back to the origin and read all the books - including this one.

And I must say - fantastic.

For a children's book, it really hints at deeper characteristics that a four-year-old Hiccup doesn't have yet - bravery and perseverance, although that may be reclassified as "bull-headed Viking stubbornness."

The plot is very simple, short, and overdone. Was it expected?
Sarah Adamson
From the author of "How to Train Your Dragon" and starring Hiccup as a young Viking, this is a great life lesson on how to find out who you are and maybe through that, your family will realize they had some mixed up ideas too! Hiccup is challenged to learn to be a viking even though he is scared of spiders and loud noises. As soon as he sets sail for the first time, he is seasick and is told by his Dad that Vikings don't get seasick. Soon a storm blows up and everyone else on the boat discover ...more
Sean Harding
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know nothing about How to Train Your Dragon, even less as I had assumed it was a single book, that they had made into a movie, but here I find there is a whole stack of books, and this is the first one, with nary a dragon in sight, but apparently it is the book that influenced the series. Anyway it is listed here as 0.5 - I listened to some Scottish lady read it on you tube which was entertaining in its own right, and worth the price of admission, especially her singing! Anyway it looks like I ...more
Niki (nikilovestoread)
As a huge fan of Cressida Cowell's How to Train Your Dragon middle grade series, I absolutely loved this picture book that shares Cressida's first inspiration for our beloved Hiccup before the series was written. Hiccup is a small, timid Viking who just doesn't fit in with the other Vikings. One day, he must face his fears of going to sea for the first time. Filled with Cressida's adorable illustrations and lots of heart, my kids and I love it every time we read it. They even sing the Viking ...more
Dewey
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book, but I didn't. I think it went on for too long, with no real payoff. It also kind of seemed to lose its thread a little bit. It starts off talking about Vikings being brave, with the main character worrying because he doesn't feel brave, but then suddenly it's "Vikings don't get seasick" and everyone is throwing up...and then finally it's back to "I guess Vikings can get scared sometimes." It was weird and didn't flow very well. Kind of a bummer.
Dolly
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Cute, short tale about Hiccup's first sea voyage and his first lesson about the fallibility of adults.

The story is entertaining and humorous and I enjoyed listening to Cressida Cowell narrate the audiobook aloud.

I especially liked how she explained the beginnings of and inspiration for her popular series.
Joy
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I have read several of the How to Train a Dragon books so when my cousin sent this book for the girls, I was excited to read it. It is a prequel to the chapter books with familiar characters like Hiccup and Stoick the Vast.

Hiccup is a polite Viking who is afraid to go to sea. On the advice of his grandfather, he goes to sea despite his fear to see if Vikings really aren't afraid of everything.

Stoick's song is great. I wish it had musical notes so I could sing it.
Melanie
The story of Hiccup, a Viking child who is a bit of a scaredy cat. When he joins his father at sea on a Viking ship he doesn't feel so well. A sudden storm kicks up and Hiccup's father gets sick as well, despite that he swears Vikings don't get seasick. Hiccup suddenly feels better and is able to steer the ship to safety.
Patti K
Aug 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
This one is cute. I wish there were dragons in it - I got it because it's the pre-schooler book introduction to the 'How to Train Your Dragon' series, which I will start reading to my daughter soon, probably once we've exhausted the Magic Tree House books sometime next year. Both the kids liked it enough and it has a nice message.
The Dragon's Lair: Hiccup: The Viking Who Was Seasick 1 2 Apr 21, 2013 07:27AM

• Elmer and the Monster
  • Stories for Boys Who Dare to be Different
  • The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States
  • Winter of the Ice Wizard (Magic Tree House, #32)
  • Summer of the Sea Serpent (Magic Tree House, #31)
  • Haunted Castle on Hallows Eve (Magic Tree House, #30)
  • Carnival at Candlelight (Magic Tree House, #33)
  • Zog
  • The Fate of Fausto
  • Power of the Fire Dragon: A Branches Book (Dragon Masters #4)
  • The Heart and the Bottle
  • The Bad Mood and the Stick
  • Why We're Polarized
  • Paddington Bear in the Garden
  • I Will Love You Anyway
  • The Knight Who Said "No!"
  • I Wish I Was Sick, Too!
  • Priscilla Gorilla
Cressida Cowell grew up in London and on a small, uninhabited island off the west coast of Scotland. She was convinced that there were dragons living on this island, and has been fascinated by dragons ever since. She has a BA in English Literature from Oxford University, a BA in Graphic Design from St Martin's and an MA in Narrative Illustration from Brighton. Cressida loves illustrating her own ...more

How to Train Your Dragon (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon, #1)
  • How to Be a Pirate (How to Train Your Dragon, #2)
  • How to Speak Dragonese (How to Train Your Dragon, #3)
  • How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse (How to Train Your Dragon, #4)
  • How to Twist a Dragon's Tale (How to Train Your Dragon, #5)
  • A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons (How to Train Your Dragon, #6)
  • How to Ride a Dragon's Storm (How to Train Your Dragon, #7)
  • How to Break a Dragon's Heart (How to Train Your Dragon, #8)
  • How to Steal a Dragon's Sword (How to Train Your Dragon, #9)
  • How to Seize a Dragon's Jewel (How to Train Your Dragon, #10)