Start by marking “The Magnificent Mrs. Mayhew” as Want to Read:

The Magnificent Mrs. Mayhew

Milly Johnson, the Queen of Feel-Good Fiction and The Sunday Times bestselling author, is back with a "glorious, heartfelt novel" (Rowan Coleman, New York Times bestselling author) about a woman trying to find her own place in the world, who through love, loss, and the kindness of strangers, discovers everything she needs in a village by the sea.

Behind every successful man
Published July 29th 2019 by Gallery Books

Larry H
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
When was the last time you couldn't get enough of a book and wanted to devour it in one sitting, yet when you were finished, you were sad? That happened for me with Milly Johnson's newest book, The Magnificent Mrs. Mayhew . I wasn't familiar with Johnson's writing, but apparently she's known as "the Queen of Feel-Good Fiction" in the UK, and boy, they're not kidding!

Sophie Mayhew was raised to believe that a woman's purpose is to serve her husband, that the best thing she can do as a wife is to
Bookworman
This book was wonderful! I didn't think that Milly Johnson could top her last book but, by gum, she did! I loved, LOVED this story! I loved the characters, I loved the classic Milly funny-snarky-witty dialogue, I loved the romance, and loved the little bit of magic and touch of spirituality and faith. I was so happy that the f-bombs were kept to a minimum and used mostly by the baddies, and I LOVED the satisfying ending!

Milly Johnson, you are AWESOME!!!

And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going t
Susan

Milly Johnson

Why have I never read Milly Johnson before? THE MAGNIFICENT MRS. MAYHEW was such a funny book, but also dealt with some tough issues. My heart broke for Sophie and what those closest to her put her through. Her nickname in the press is Sophie the Trophy. Her husband, John is high up in politics and plans to keep on climbing the ladder until he hits the top rung. He is very good at his job, but not so good at being a husband. He has been unfaithful more tha
Frenchorchidea
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Netgalley.com offered me to read the first chapter of the new book of Milly Johnson, "The Magnificent Mrs Mayhew". I was really excited to see that Milly Johnson is releasing a new novel, she is one of my favorite author! This sample promises a wonderful book, I am so so so so impatient to be able to read the full book now! This first chapter introduces us to Sophie who is married to a very powerful and attractive man but we can already sense that Sophie is not happy in this relationship, I can' ...more
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

The Magnificent Mrs Mayhew is a delightfully feel-good, witty read which is what we've all come to expect from author Milly Johnson.

I really liked that this novel had a bit of a different side to it - the world of politics, and although it wasn't delved into in any great detail, it added a bit of a different spin which I loved coupled with some truly horrible characters I loved to hate. Of course, interspered with those were the usual lovely people who suppor
Mary
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Magnificent Mrs. Mayhew is a lovely story about a woman who seemingly has it all. Her husband is successful and charming--his political ambitions have lead them close to 10 Downing Street--and her glamorous lifestyle is the envy of women all over the country. When an indiscretion comes to light, it is naturally assumed that Sophie will stand behind her husband and help him to weather the controversy, but when push comes to shove, Sophie makes a momentary decision that could destroy her husba ...more
Rachel Gilbey
3.5 Stars

Well this was a book that took a while to grow on me, for the entirety of the first part I really struggled as all the characters just seemed unlikable, bordering on vile and there were just loads of them. Well there were all the members of both John and Sophie's families, as well as the whole of John's political team, and spin doctor etc...

You could tell that between the flash backs to Sophie's schooling (which I did quite enjoy, despite again being at school full of horrific people),
Tania Downer
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

A really lovely read. I wish I could continue to read about Elliott and Pom in their new life together.
Nicola Clough
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book by Milly was fantastic as always she has a real skill with her writing and she gets you hooked from the first page and so many twists and turns and you really don't no what will happen till you get to the end. Full of girl power and so uplifting and shows how strong women can be. Full of romance and makes you laugh and scream to simply fantastic and you must read it.
Sophie Mayhew looks like she has it all she's married to a rising political star John and she has glamour and money but
Clare
Listened to in audio format.

Sophie Mayhew was the wife of popular MP John F Mayhew. Sophie and John were like the British version of the Kennedy`s and the press called her the magnificent Mrs Mayhew.

The first part of the book was the countdown to `doorstep gate`, John was trying to oust the current leader of the party hoping to force a leadership battle. During the week the reader is shown how badly Sophie is treated. At one point Sophie is tricked into visiting a maternity ward after losing her
Fabulous Book Fiend
Talk about girl power, this novel is total girl power combined with the power of Yorkshire, just the best kind of powers! I found it really easy to get into this story and indeed into the book. I listened to it on audiobook and would definitely recommend the narration, it really brought it to life! I enjoyed getting to know Sophie and her old life but I enjoyed getting to know Sophie in her alternate life as well once she takes part in THAT press conference.

One of my favourite things about this
Bridget
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arc
An enticing first chapter wonderfully described and leading me into a world with promising characters, “The Magnificent Mrs Mayhew” is sure to be a delight of a book. Already, there is a lot happening and I was intrigued from very the first page. Keen to read on, I need to know everything about Sophie and the already infamous John F Mayhew!

{Thank you to #NetGalley and Simon and Schuster UK for the free sample copy of #TheMagnificentMrsMayhew and for giving me the opportunity to provide an honest
Katie
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good plot and loved the characters
Liz
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading the opening chapters I didn’t think I was going to like this latest book by Milly Johnson but as the story progressed, and I got to know Sophie better, I really started to enjoy it. I thought the storyline was well thought out and a little bit different to have some of the characters moving in the political world. Although the ending was predictable there were some lovely heart-warming moments.
Stacey Bennett
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must admit when I first started this I really didn’t think I was going to enjoy it as have no interest in politics, BUT glad I carried on as I loved it. Fab read :)
PrettyFlamingo
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I can’t praise this book enough! I read it in just over a day as I was so invested in it. It’s great that Milly has gone down a different route for this tale but I was wondering as I read the first few chapters why aren’t we in Yorkshire? I should have had more patience.

Sophie Mayhew is married to the obnoxiously pretentious John who is a complete pillock as we would say in Yorkshire (and that is being very, very kind to him). For 14 years, ever since their first meeting at university, Sophie h
Bookworman
What a joy this book was to read again. This is my third reading as I couldn't wait for the end of July to read it so I bought the hardcopy from the UK. Yes, I confess... I'm a huge Milly Johnson fan!

In my opinion, this is her best so far. It has her wonderful heartwarming story, likeable characters, wonderful love story, and laugh out loud snarky humor with just a little hint of magic.

To readers who are not familiar with Johnson's books, her style is similar to Jenny Colgan's books especially
Claire Mc Partlin
I love Milly Johnson's books and can't wait for this one, so the sample chapter kindly supplied by NetGalley just made me want it to be published quicker! It set the scene perfectly and it looks like Sophie is ready to escape all the restrictive people surrounding her putting on a front, including family, and be honest and happy in herself for a change. I can't wait to see how her life turns out.

UPDATE - I've read the whole book now!
What a fabulous book, I really didn't want it to end. I'm a big
Jennie Henry
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Milky Johnson’s books are like comfort blankets to me. I know what I’m getting when I pick up one of her books and this is no exception.
Sally Reynolds
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
enjoyed this and read it over the weekend
slightly different to her other books which I enjoyed
Stacey
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I already knew I was going to rate this 5 stars before I had even finished it. I feel like my reviews of Milly's novels always sound the same but I honestly feel like Milly has a gift. Her novels are always so interesting and you automatically get drawn in from the very first page. I particularly like that this novel was only centred around one main character, I felt like we got to know Sophie so much better due to this. This story was heartwarming, expertly written and unputdownable.

The story f
Sue Smith
Oops, stayed up far too late reading again! My first 5-star read of the year, Milly has really excelled herself this time. Loved it!
Sue Vickery
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once I got past the first couple of chapters, started to enjoy this book. No spoilers but you will be rooting for Sophie.
Jo Barton
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blonde, beautiful, and with impeccable breeding, Sophie Mayhew is the perfect trophy wife for an up and coming politician. Always relied upon to do and say the right thing, Sophie astounds the gathered media when the words she utters are not those of her husband's spin doctor, whose attempt to mitigate John's latest misdemeanor backfires spectacularly. Fleeing to a place of safety, Sophie takes a good long look at her life, and finds comfort and friendship in the most unlikely of places.

In many
Louise Douglas
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect birthday present – a new Milly Johnson book! At least that’s what my husband thought when he pre-ordered it for my birthday, not bargaining on the fact that I’d be so eager to read it, I’d buy it two days before my birthday and read it in one sitting!

Sorry Cameron!

But how could I say no to the glorious blue edged pages (the special edition from Tesco). I’m a sucker for a coloured-edge, and I’ve not seen one this bright before, I could hardly not buy it!!

But I’ll stop fangirling over
Jeanniehay64
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really grew on me! It took me a while to get into the story but the fantastic realistic storyline soon had be hooked.

Sophie Mayhew seems to have it all. She is married to a rising political star John and has a glamorous lifestyle with anything money can buy at her disposal.

Underneath the surface however Sophie feels trapped. She is struggling with the grief of losing her baby and badly needs her husbands support and love. John however has different priorities. His ambition to get to
Alba
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Magnificent Mrs Mayhew is a delightful story. I had such a great time reading it that I completely forgot about anything else! And once I finished it, I actually had to remind myself a couple of times that Sophie and all the other characters were not real and that I would not find their latest adventures in the newspaper.

Sophie Mayhew is a fantastic, multi-layered and intriguing character. I loved getting to know her both in the present time and through the flashbacks to her school days in t
Desiree
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
Sophie Mayhew is one of my top favorite characters this year. She’s amazing. This book is the perfect summertime beach read. It’s not too heavy plotted, the characters are extremely well-developed, and it has the perfect amount of drama.

Sophie Mayhew is the wife of a politician. As John F. Mayhew climbs the political ranks, Sophie becomes more and more ornamental. She is there to make her husband look good. She is not to have emotion, she is not to veer from the written speeches, she is arm cand
Noemi Proietti
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sophie Mayhew was raised to believe that her role was to support always her husband, no matter what he does. And as the wife of beloved politician John F. Mayhew, Sophie’s life is always under scrutiny, from the clothes she wears to the expression on her face. Sophie is happy to play the good wife, standing by her husband’s side and helping him in his rise into the government. Until scandal breaks out and when, once again, Sophie has to put her husband first, she decides she has had enough. She ...more
Shaz Goodwin
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Sometimes it’s hard to find the words to express how you feel about a story …

I enjoyed getting to know Sophie, in the present day as well as 18 years ago at her boarding school, St Bathsheba. It becomes clear that the life she’s living is not a choice but the doctrine she’s been exposed to from her family and St Bathsheba. I connected with her from the beginning, feeling that all important emotional tug. I had a couple of really late nights because I could
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Milly Johnson was born in Barnsley, raised in Barnsley and still lives in Barnsley - although she did study in Exeter for four years and emigrate to Haworth in West Yorkshire in the 1980s.

She trained as an actress, teacher, an accountant, a Customer Services and Suggestion Scheme Manager as well as working in a variety of administrative posts for companies dealing with anything from antique furnit