Start by marking “Ballistic (The Palladium Wars #2)” as Want to Read:
Ballistic (The Palladium Wars #2)

Ballistic

(The Palladium Wars #2)

There is a personal price to pay for having aligned with the wrong side in a reckless war. For Aden Jansen it’s the need to adopt a new identity while keeping his past hidden. Now he’s integrated himself aboard the Zephyr, a merchant ship smuggling critical goods through dangerous space. But danger is imminent on planet Gretia, as well. Under occupation, torn between postw ...more
Published May 26th 2020 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about Ballistic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ballistic

Start your review of Ballistic (The Palladium Wars #2)
Christi M
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
One thing is certain – Marko Kloos knows how to write a sci fi story. Just like the first book in the series he once again leaves us with another cliff hanger. I can even hear his evil, maniacal laughter as he types the ending. He builds and builds the story and just when it is ramping up to its climax he ends it and just leaves you hanging. Sigh. I seriously wasn’t ready for the story to end.

Ballistic begins a few months after the events of the first book and once again we follow the stories of
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2020/06/16/...

Hands down, The Palladium Wars by Marko Kloos is one of most character-oriented military sci-fi series I’ve ever read, and I think that’s why I’m enjoying these books so much. Ballistic is the second installment following hot on the heels of Aftershocks, picking up shortly after the cliffhanger we were left with, and fans will be happy to know it maintains a snappy pace and continues the trend of telling personal stories.

I
Robin (Bridge Four)
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Ballistic is the second book of The Palladium Wars and needs be read after Aftershocks, the story of a place five years after a war and the repercussions felt over six different worlds.

I really enjoyed getting to see an expanded world. For instance, one of the planets, Acheron, we get to visit this time is toxically gaseous. Peopl
Bradley
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2020-shelf
This is a very solid Mil-SF that doesn't so much dwell on the military aspect as it focuses more on our four main characters that come from all walks of life in a richly-imagined worldbuilding setting. It continues after the events of the war in the first book, mostly developing a feel of uneasy occupation in enemy territory, or rather, trying to get by as the defeated party in your own world.

I think a lot of us can relate to that. So much of our lives seem to be out of our control and power is
Charles
Jun 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Second of a many books crossover: military science fiction (MIL-SF), conspiracy thriller, space opera modeled on The Expanse . Book extends plotlines started in first book. End was Yet-Another-Kliffhanger (YAK).

This story was very much like the first book. It does contain more combat action than the first book. However, it's only incrementally a better book. It appears Kloos intends to parcel-out his story in yearly ~300 page increments, while leaving his audience YAK-ing at the end of each b
Silvana
Marko Kloos's works are kind of my comfort read now. He might not be full of twists and turns and his plotting is almost always as straight as an arrow, but he is good in making clean narratives with engaging characters that flow within an interesting made-up world. His military knowledge gives him more edge, of course, so you know you'll enjoy more authenticity in the stories as well as the action.

Ballistic continues to be a great but light entertainment for me. I am fully invested in the chara
Liviu
After the unexpected hit Aftershocks (the first volume of this series - review here https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...), which made my top 5 last year, Ballistic went straight to the top of my 2020 wanted books and luckily I got an advanced copy in early January.

The novel starts a few months after the end of Aftershocks to give a little breathing space for the characters to settle and continues the 4-way viewpoints from space travel (Aden), space military (Dunstan), police work on Gretia
The Captain
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Ahoy there me mateys!  I received this sci-fi eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  While I try to post no spoilers, if ye haven’t read the first book then ye might want to skip this post. If ye keep reading this log then ye have been forewarned and continue at yer own peril . . .

I really enjoyed book one of this series but was worried because a lot of of the details had faded by the time I picked up book two.  I gave meself a quick refresher by reading me review of aftershocks
Aristotle
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Character driven story

Picks up right where book 1 left off.
We get to know more about the four main characters and what makes them tick.
The kind of scifi book that non scifi fans would enjoy.
Now the wait for book 3
Thanks to goodreads giveaway.
Nicholas Kotar
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I almost feel like giving this three stars. It's too short. Not enough happens in terms of the overall arc of the story, and the central mystery concerning the shadowy group of Gretians who are trying to incite war is not at all illumined. So we have 2 books without actually knowing who the "bad guys" are. It's a brave choice, perhaps, but I'm not crazy about it.

On the other hand, I read it in like a day. I enjoyed it a lot. The characters are getting more fleshed out and interesting.

So four s
York
I was feeling generous a gave it 5 stars, it is a 4.5 star(*) book for sure and it left me dying to find out what it coming next...unfortunately at this point it looks like I have to wait a few months to find out..book 3 is not out as of yet..I do like the characters, even if they don't feel as "fleshed" out as 5 star book should be, but what Kloos is good at is suspense and action..which more than makes up for any "character flaws." One really feels the impending doom of things to come!
Lindsay
Aug 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Picking up with our four POV characters, Aden has manged to leave Rhodia and is now a crewman on a small merchant ship. His sister Solveig is beginning to stretch her wings as a senior in her family's Gretian corporation. Dunstan still commands an old Rhodian naval vessel which continues to encounter things it shouldn't be in peactime. And Idina is nearing the end of her time on occupied Gretia.

The long and detailed character work on each of our major characters is brilliant, but that concentrat
Teri Uktena
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
I love Marko Kloos as a writer and I wanted this series to be awesome or at least enjoyable. I gave the first book the benefit of the doubt because he was doing a ton of world building. The characters were 2 dimensional, there was quite a bit of tell-don't show, and just a lot of people being in situations they don't want to be in and can't do anything about.

This book is just more of that. Everyone either has Daddy issues or Daddy/Government issues and every single character basically distills d
I.F. Adams
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
A well paced interleaved geo(stellar?) political, adventure and light military scifi all rolled into one. And I say this as a huge compliment, it reminded me of some of John Birmingham's stories and how he carefully interleaves and intersects multiple discrete plot arcs.

I particularly liked that it struck the balance of giving enough breathing room and background to make it a vibrant "living" world, without turning into a tedious explication of every little detail.

A few common tropes but with so
Leather
Aug 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Built on the same model as the first volume, with its four main characters and as many narrative threads.
If it's still a bit slow, but the action begins to develop, the narrative threads cross, the stakes are more and more important.
Overall it's interesting: the characters are all pleasant to follow, the background is rich without being too painful, the storyline is classic but full of suspense.
I found this second part more pleasant to read than the first, which in itself is a rarity.
Will read t
Connor Evans
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it
A bit of a disappointment

I loved the first book from this series and was dramatically excited to learn of the new book! However i feel a bit let down.

It seems that the entire book could have been written in half the amount of words, and achieve the same level of novel
Pat
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Argh! I wanted more! Now I have to wait until ??
Highly recommend this author - this series is set in a group of planets system a few years after an interplanetary war. Great characters and world building. Not going to say anymore - read for yourself!
Chris
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
*copy from Netgalley in exchange for a review*

tl;dr: Finished at 2AM after a building fire alarm evac.
Something that can hold your attention during/after something like that is definitely a damn fine tale.

More below:

Ballistic is the second in Marko Kloos’ Palladium Wars series. I enjoyed the first book a great deal; it deftly explored the aftermath of an interplanetary war, the morality and ethics of occupation, and the effects of the conflict on both occupiers and the occupied. And it did all
D. Jensen
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Of course, it's Marko Kloos. Right there you can be certain the story is more about the people, their motivations and actions than it is about what size gun they're wielding. That's not to say that there is not weaponry involved--weapons are just the props for all the rest.
Story so far, Gretia has lost a war and is now occupied by its victors from Pallas, Rhodia and Archeon. The four major characters and their friends/others must navigate the escalating aftermath as an old war becomes the founda
Maria
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved Aftershocks and Ballistic is a good sequel, that succeeds in keeping the well-developed characters and moves the heroes forward with their life. There are even some significant developments taking place for some of them.
However, the plot movements in general do not clarify the big picture. The first book of the series reveals some sinister forces working to disrupt the fragile peace in the system. In the second book we see these forces in action forwarding their plan. But the nature of
Matt
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a pre-release copy of this book from NetGalley.

Ballistic is the second book in Marko Kloos's Palladium Wars series. As with the first book, this one follows four different characters through four separate story arcs. These threads do briefly converge from time to time, but for the most part they are all pieces to a larger story going on in the background.

The groundwork and worldbuilding laid down in the first book definitely pay off here. I recall when reading the first book that I sp
Mrs B Birchall
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great book from Marko

I love this writer, science fiction for grown ups. So easy to read and they race along at such a pace I find it so difficult to put down. As I reach the end of one book I start to look for the next. I hope Marko keeps writing his excellent books for many many years.
Soo
Jun 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Notes:

Solid transition piece. The change in narrator & the fact that this installment was not as character driven made the story not as engaging as the first book. I'm still looking forward to the next book & seeing how events will unravel.
Jeff Cosmi
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable read. This book will be very familiar if you read book one in this series. The story follows the same characters in the same fashion as the first. The book starts off somewhat slow but builds up as the story moves along, also much like the first book. The author is very talented you notice a lot of attention to detail every aspect of the story is realized in full detail and wonderful color. It’s only a shame that we have to wait so long until the next installment arrives. I have t ...more
Cory McConnaughy
Jun 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shows something a little more than the first book. The characters are a bit too to-type, but Kloos plays them off together well and the plot is thickening in an intriguing way.
Joseph F.
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great story

Love the character development and the story line. Looking forward to the next book in the series. I really enjoy the author’s style.
Brian
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you NetGalley and 47North for this eARC. As a fan of the Frontline series, I was happy to see Marko Kloos step back from it to write something different. I feel that the two books in this series have been his best and bode well for Book 7 of Frontlines.

This four viewpoint book takes a look at the fallout of a local system interplanetary war. These perspectives are from an heiress of a company on the losing side, a fleet commander from the winning side, a member of the force occupying the l
Gwen
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Now I want the next one! Now!
Simon
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recent Reads: Ballistic. Marko Kloos' latest series continues its slow road to war, as a mysterious group begins to flex its muscles. The stories of a trader's crew, a soldier turned cop, a military ship captain, and a young magnate start to come together. Can peace be an option?
Tracie Simer
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Never Let Me Go
  • Phoenix Extravagant
  • Kinetic Strike (Drop Trooper #2)
  • Prosper's Demon
  • Baptism of Fire (The Witcher, #3)
  • Cage of Souls
  • Contact Front (Drop Trooper #1)
  • Debt of Honor (The Embers of War, #1)
  • Master of Sorrows (The Silent Gods #1)
  • The Book of Koli (Rampart Trilogy, #1)
  • The Killing Fog (The Grave Kingdom, #1)
  • Danger Close (Drop Trooper #3)
  • Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers #3)
  • The Black Hawks (Articles of Faith, #1)
  • Direct Fire (Drop Trooper Book 4)
  • Skyward (Skyward, #1)
  • Embers of War (Embers of War, #1)
  • Boneshaker (Terran Scout Fleet #2)

The Palladium Wars (3 books)
  • Aftershocks (The Palladium Wars, #1)
  • Citadel

News & Interviews

“when every economy in the system had been churning out weapons and war material to shovel into the furnace of conflict.” 0 likes
“It was a pretty good evening, though,” Tess said. “I mean, except for the part with the knives and the blood and the death threats.” 0 likes