Start by marking “Heartache and Hope (Heartache Duet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heartache and Hope (Heartache Duet, #1)

Heartache and Hope

(Heartache Duet #1)

Ava Diaz needs saving.
She just doesn’t know it yet.
Just like she doesn’t know a thing about the boy she sits next to on the first day of senior year.
He thinks she’s a brat.
She thinks he’s entitled.
Maybe first impressions don’t always last…
Because Connor Ledger’s about to save her.
He just doesn’t know why.
Published June 26th 2019 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Heartache and Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heartache and Hope

Christy
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-five-stars
5+ stars

photo AD63E795-400D-48A1-A8C3-528E74999F7B_zpsl5niax07.png
When the world is at its darkest, that’s when the magic appears.

It's been way too long since I've read a book by Jay McLean, but she's back and better than ever with Heartache and Hope. Seriously, this is one of her best books yet and it gave me all the Kick Push/More Than vibes and that, my friends, is a HUGE compliment. This story was epic. I devoured each page and was left craving more.

Ava Diaz is a teenager, but her life is not like the typical teens. It's a hard life, a life
KAT ♕ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books ♕
❝ It's just a year Connor. Do the work. Stay focused. No distractions..❞
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

'HEARTACHE AND HOPE' is the first full length, young adult book in Jay McLean's 'Heartache' duet. Spoken in 'Dual POV's' In this we meet Ava and Connor.

A unique painfully raw, thought provoking rollercoaster of a read. My most fav author is baccckkkkk with a vengeance!!!

Without going overboard this author right here is my most highly recommended author..Her #MORE series is one of my all time #FAVOURITES and is the #ONLY
Wendy

I absolutely adored every single page of this book, which isn't a surprise really because this author is the writer of my "all time favorite" mf book "More than Forever". Now as much as I loved this one...and believe me I did...I don't think any couple will ever top Cam and Lucy in my eyes. That said... Ava and Connor came real freaking close !!

oh so close gif - Google zoeken

What I love most about opening a book by this author, is knowing I am gonna be hit with all the feels....in the best ways possible.

Again she has managed
Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog••
Holy smokies how I have missed you Jay McLean!!!

In the past you have rocked my world, and today, you still rock my world, but you have tilted it on its axis!!!!

Yep, I started this review almost a week ago and I am still thinking and dreaming of this book!!! This author has the ability to suck you into her storytelling book world, and my god, how I loved this!!! Ava & Conner took over my world for a day, and guess what, I AM NOT SORRY!

This was an emotional roller coaster, a bumpy, turbulent
Corina
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Heartache and Hope is the first new book released by this author in a couple of years, and I’m happy to say, the author hasn’t lost her touch in the slightest.

This contemporary YA romance duet combines my favorite tropes – it’s a high school sports romance with an emotional depth that’s rarely found – it was full of touching and tender moments.

As expected, the characters are more mature and have more responsibilities to carry than any other YA characters I ever read about outside of this author’
Jemima
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
PSX_20190621_173451

Title: Heartache and Hope (Heartache Duet #1)
Author: Jay McLean

I am having a miserably hard time writing this review.
I have been a huge fan of Jay McLean and she has never let me down with her books. One of my all time favourite's by her is Lucas but I have to admit defeat and say that Heartache and Hope has become my favourite book by Jay McLean.

I buddy-read this beauty with two of my friends and I realised half into the book that I was buddy-reading it because I was completely and utterly e
~Dawn~TUG
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh new words from Jay!!!!!!!

ALL THE STARS IN THE SKY!!

When you are a blogger you read A LOT of books. Some you enjoy, some you love, some just stroll "meh" through your life. But some, they stain your soul, the words bleed into your being and just exist, as if they were destined to be a part of YOU. Ms. McLean writes these stories. This one though? This one just replaced the favorites that resided prior. This one is SPECIAL. A read that reminds us that life is unfair, brutal ev
Robin Hill
I should not have loved this, but I did. When I neared the end, I thought, Here we go. This is why I can't do YA. But nope, I was pleasantly surprised.

If you're like me and hate YA for the high school drama, you can rest assured, this book doesn't have any. McLean somehow manages to write believable teenagers that don't make you want to roll your eyes.

And I loved the basketball references, even though I hate basketball. Mind blown.

Don't laugh. I have no say over who my mind casts. 😂😂😂
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Melanie (mells_view)
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Teenage hormones are one hell of a drug.”

Jay McLean does a beautiful job, in Heartache and Hope, blending the magical feelings of young love and the bitter realities some must face in life. H&H has a mature YA feel, and covers some serious subject matter. Told in the dual POV’s of Ava and Connor. It’s a bit of a slow burn, but this is book one in a duet so it lends to the build of the characters relationship!

I want to say so much about Ava and Connor, but I think it’s best you meet them on
Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦

“When the world is at its darkest, that’s when the magic appears…”

It has been so long since I have read a Jay McLean story and when I found out she was releasing a duet, I knew I had to drop everything and read it. I absolutely adored Kick Push and her More Than series, but I believe Heartache and Hope is her best book yet. I read this book in one sitting and could not get enough; it is a complete rollercoaster of a read that had my emotions all over the place, but the pain I felt whilst rea
Jen
ALL THE STARS IN THE UNIVERSE

Magic. Pure heart magic. Between the pages of this book you’ll find a captivating and magnificent tale created by one of the most talented YA authors out there. Jay McLean poured her magical fairy dust throughout this story and I fell. Hard . I’m writing this review and trying to see through the tears that won’t stop pouring from my eyes. Jay, what have you done to me?!!

I have been waiting for new words from my unicorn author, and when I saw she was writing a duet,
Jessica  (Angie & Jessica's Dreamy Reads)
Omgggggggggg!!!! This!!!! This is the book I've been dying for. This is the book that would unknowingly satiate all of my relentless cravings for angst and heartache and deliciously brutal teen drama but only momentarily because now I'm left hungry for more. THIS BOOK is precisely why you'll never in a million years hear me complain about cliffhangers. THIS is a superb demonstration of exactly why I enjoy them so much. I'm actually dying right now... dying from that ending, dying for MORE. But t ...more
Jennifer Kyle
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars ⭐ ...more
Autumn Grey
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"When the world is at its darkest, that's when the magic appears..."

Sometimes you finish a book and just stare at the words on the last page, speechless. Heart beating hard like it's about to rip out of your chest. Heartache and Hope did that to me. My emotions are all over the place because Connor and Ava own me. These two characters, oh man. . . Connor's starts this new school where he meets Ava. Sweet brave Ava, who's going through so much. Slowly, he breaks down her walls one witty banter a
The Book Bee
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
REVIEW: 5 GUTWRENCHING STARS
"It feels like I'm on fire and she's holding the match."

Tummy-Twisting
Emotional
Deep
Heartbreaking
Real
Intense

There are so many words I can use to describe this book, but none of them will come close to actually explaining the emotional impact it had on me. This book was the epitome of YA emotions on CRACK. It was organic. It grew naturally and it moved me. Gosh, it made me follow with half a hitch in my breathing - I was breathing funny!! That buildup, that crescendo
Meredith
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"I moved here with one thing on my mind. Work hard enough to get noticed so I move one step closer toward the end game. But... but maybe fate had other plans for me. Bigger ones. Because you're here, with me, and you noticed me, Ava, so maybe... maybe the end game was never about basketball. Maybe my end game is you.

Gah! Jay McLean is back and better than ever before. I truly believe that Heartache and Hope is BY FAR her best book to date. It reminded me of all of the reasons why she is one of m
Anna Banana
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poc-heroines

It's been YEARS since I've read a book by Jay McLean, and honestly I kinda forgot about her books. But after reading this, it reminded me so much of what I loved about her books.

This book was so addictive, I tried to read this as much as I could after work every night and I was tempted to even bring it to work to try and read some more. I really like Jay's writing style and I really got drawn into this story about Ava and Connor. Yes, at the beginning I was kinda eye-rolling a bit and had to di
-  Michelle Claypot_Reads
You know that Eminem song Without Me - it has the line "Guess Who's Back, Back Again".. well that's how I'm feeling right now. It's been a long time since I got to enjoy new words from Jay McLean and what does she do - she storms back into my life with a story that puts me on my ass.

It's not like the usual NA reads of late where everything is over the top angst. Trying to be all gangster about everything. Nope. This one is smooth. It's subtle and it sucker punches you right in the heart. Jay ha
AJ
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“When the world is at its darkest, that’s when the magic appears.”

5 stars!

Jay McLean is back, and she has just rocked my world with this brilliant, beautiful YA romance. Funny, sweet, heartbreaking, emotional and gorgeously romantic, Connor and Ava’s story is beautifully written and so, so special, and I loved every moment of it.

Ava’s life completely changed following a family tragedy when she was only 15 years old. Now a senior in high school, her life is almost unrecognisable from when she wa
Casey
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story hit me with so many feels from so many different places. Each character resonates with you.

Let’s start with Conner. He has spent his life preparing to be a basketball star. He has hope and dreams and you literally ~feel~ them through the pages.

Conners dad. As a parent, you understand his viewpoint..although you may not agree with it. Mclean does a fantastic job of writing his story in a way that makes you understand where he’s coming from.

Ava. Wow. Once you realize what Ava is goin
ABookLover73
Five beautifully broken stars for Ava and Connor 😭🏀❤!!!

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

This is NOT the first book I've read by Jay McLean, so there wasn't doubt that this book will be amazing before I even had started reading it 💕.

Jay is one of my favorite YA and NA authors 😍.

Her writing style is beautiful, emotional and so realistic that in the end, her books are the work of pure magic 💫.

Ava and Connor reminded me why I love so much Jay's books ❤.

They made me forget own real life and felt every happy and sad moment that
bookish_affair
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"𝑾𝒆 𝒇𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕, 𝒘𝒆 𝒇𝒍𝒐𝒂𝒕, 𝒘𝒆 𝒍𝒂𝒖𝒈𝒉, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒘𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒍𝒍. 𝑫𝒆𝒆𝒑𝒆𝒓 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒅𝒆𝒆𝒑𝒆𝒓 𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒔𝒆 𝒓𝒆𝒄𝒌𝒍𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒔."

Heartache Hope is a beautifully crafted story of young love, heartbreaks, hopes, desire and dreams to make it all true.

"𝑰’𝒎 𝒔𝒖𝒓𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒅 𝒃𝒚 𝒅𝒂𝒓𝒌 𝒔𝒌𝒊𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒇𝒂𝒍𝒔𝒆 𝒉𝒐𝒑𝒆."

Heartache and hope true to its title was brimming with so much angst, hurt & hope. It was an unputdownable read for me. I was so engrossed in Connor & Ava's story that I felt their fear & love for each other.

"𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆’𝒅 𝒃𝒆 𝒂𝒏 𝒊𝒏
Yvette (Booksandbandanas)
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another Jay McLean, MASTERPIECE!

I’m blown away with this EPIC. EPIC. EPIC, story.
I have read all of this woman’s stories and they continue to dive deeper and wreck so much heartache in my soul.

Conner and Ava are so completely and utterly tattooed on my soul, forever. This story was beautiful, heartbreaking, and completely powerful.

Review to come. I need to get my thoughts together.
Cassie
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartache and Hope left me wondering, hoping, and wishing, but rather than focus on that for this review I am going to talk about my feelings leading up to the epic cliffhanger (that shouldn’t be a surprise as this has been advertised as a duet). I fell in love hard and fast with these characters. Somewhere between the fireflies and the magic they nestled into my heart. Connor and Ava created love in a literal hopeless place (sorry Rhianna). I enjoyed the details when it came to basketball as we ...more
Anna Doe
She's back, and she's even better than before!

Ava and Connor don't expect each other, but when their paths cross they've found their missing half. In each other, they find solace and hope, but as time passes by, their love will be tested again and again. Heartache or hope - what is the end game? You'll have to read this one to find out!

In her typical writing style, McLean is telling us another extremely emotional and heartbreaking story of two teens trying to find their way in life. This coming
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
Image
So, this old bird rarely reads YA these days (I am soooo far away from their ages that it is often hard for me to connect with the characters), however the minute that Jay McLean announces she is releasing a new book, I am counting down the seconds until it arrives on my Kindle.

This book has it all in the title - it is full of heartache and hope. You can't help but fall in love with Ava and Connor and all the complexities of their lives

Gah, there is so much I want to tell you about this book, h
Sam
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I honestly do not think anything could have prepared me for this story. Someone could have given me all of the spoilers, maybe even read the book to me personally. But it still, not in anyway shape or form, would or could have prepared me for the raw intensity that is ‘Heartache and Hope’.

Jay McLean’s unique craft in blending words together to create heartfelt and soul touching novels never ceases to amaze me. The way McLean writes first loves is something I have always admired. But this story.
Dora Koutsoukou
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 ❤⚡💔⚡❤⚡💔⚡❤ 🔝🔝🔝💯✨✨✨✨✨s ❣❣❣❣❣

🎶 I feel it in my fingers
I feel it in my toes
The love that's all around me
And so the feeling grows 🎶
The Troggs

Magic is everywhere.
In the title, in the characters, in the author’s writing.

I am in great awe of Jay McLean for delivering such a great book, so full of emotions. Connor and Ava’s story brought me to my knees!
The characters were captivating, realistic, with flaws but also with great strength, tortured souls yet admirable warriors!
Dual pov and a perfect pac
Kate McCarthy
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartache and Hope is aptly titled, because I felt both while reading this emotionally charged story. Jay McLean has created magic, weaving a tale of young love, and the sacrifices we make for those we care about most. This book is a must read!
Amy March (Between the Screens)
“Love is not a noun. Love is something you do. Something you prove. Something you work hard to create. Love is not something that simply exists because you say it.”

Gosh, there is really and truly no substitution for a Jay McLean book. Trust me, I’ve searched high and low over the years and nothing comes close. I almost forgot, isn’t that sad? I almost didn’t remember how she doesn’t just elicit the feelings from you, she pulls them out. Yanks them, really. You’re unable to stop yourself from con
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Jay McLean is an international best-selling author and full-time reader, writer of New Adult and Young Adult romance, and skilled procrastinator. When she’s not doing any of those things, she can be found running after her three little boys, investing way too much time on True Crime Documentaries and binge-watching reality TV.
She writes what she loves to read, which are books that can make her lau

Heartache Duet (2 books)
  • First and Forever (Heartache Duet, #2)
“When the world is at its darkest, that’s when the magic appears.” 1 likes