Start by marking “Heartache and Hope (Heartache Duet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heartache and Hope (Heartache Duet, #1)

Heartache and Hope

(Heartache Duet #1)

Ava Diaz needs saving.
She just doesn’t know it yet.
Just like she doesn’t know a thing about the boy she sits next to on the first day of senior year.
He thinks she’s a brat.
She thinks he’s entitled.
Maybe first impressions don’t always last…
Because Connor Ledger’s about to save her.
He just doesn’t know why.
Published June 26th 2019 by Amazon Digital Services

Start your review of Heartache and Hope (Heartache Duet, #1)
Christy
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-five-stars
5+ stars

photo AD63E795-400D-48A1-A8C3-528E74999F7B_zpsl5niax07.png
When the world is at its darkest, that’s when the magic appears.

It's been way too long since I've read a book by Jay McLean, but she's back and better than ever with Heartache and Hope. Seriously, this is one of her best books yet and it gave me all the Kick Push/More Than vibes and that, my friends, is a HUGE compliment. This story was epic. I devoured each page and was left craving more.

Ava Diaz is a teenager, but her life is not like the typical teens. It's a hard li
Michelle Claypot_Reads
You know that Eminem song Without Me - it has the line "Guess Who's Back, Back Again".. well that's how I'm feeling right now. It's been a long time since I got to enjoy new words from Jay McLean and what does she do - she storms back into my life with a story that puts me on my ass.

It's not like the usual NA reads of late where everything is over the top angst. Trying to be all gangster about everything. Nope. This one is smooth. It's subtle and it sucker punches you right in the heart. Jay ha
❥ KAT ❥ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books
❝ It's just a year Connor. Do the work. Stay focused. No distractions..❞
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

'HEARTACHE AND HOPE' is the first full length, young adult book in Jay McLean's 'Heartache' duet. Spoken in 'Dual POV's' In this we meet Ava and Connor.

A unique painfully raw, thought provoking rollercoaster of a read. My most fav author is baccckkkkk with a vengeance!!!

Without going overboard this author right here is my most highly recommended author..Her #MORE series is one of my all time #FAVOURITES and is the #
Wendy

I absolutely adored every single page of this book, which isn't a surprise really because this author is the writer of my "all time favorite" mf book "More than Forever". Now as much as I loved this one...and believe me I did...I don't think any couple will ever top Cam and Lucy in my eyes. That said... Ava and Connor came real freaking close !!

oh so close gif - Google zoeken

What I love most about opening a book by this author, is knowing I am gonna be hit with all the feels....in the best ways possible.

Again she has managed
Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog••
Holy smokies how I have missed you Jay McLean!!!

In the past you have rocked my world, and today, you still rock my world, but you have tilted it on its axis!!!!

Yep, I started this review almost a week ago and I am still thinking and dreaming of this book!!! This author has the ability to suck you into her storytelling book world, and my god, how I loved this!!! Ava & Conner took over my world for a day, and guess what, I AM NOT SORRY!

This was an emotional roller coaster, a bumpy, turbulent ri
Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog
*****FIVE STARS*****

Here are my overall ratings:

Hero: 5++++
Chemistry Between Hero & Heroine: 5+++++
Jennifer Kyle
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars ⭐️
Jade Simcox (3 Degrees Of Fiction)
Jay McLean is back!!!

I’ve missed this authors work, I’ve missed her words and the way she makes you fall in love with a story from the first page until the last.

Heartache and Hope is everything I hoped for and so much more. It’s raw and full of so many emotions. I laughed, I cried, I got angry and I was happy. This book had it all!

Ava and Connor had me head over heels in love with them both. I loved the separately and together. Both of them haven’t had a easy life for very different reasons,
Sentranced Jem
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
PSX_20190621_173451

Title: Heartache and Hope (Heartache Duet #1)
Author: Jay McLean

I am having a miserably hard time writing this review.
I have been a huge fan of Jay McLean and she has never let me down with her books. One of my all time favourite's by her is Lucas but I have to admit defeat and say that Heartache and Hope has become my favourite book by Jay McLean.

I buddy-read this beauty with two of my friends and I realised half into the book that I was buddy-reading it because I was completely and ut
Syndi
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book! This book! Oh my! The entire day I can not do anything but clutching into tjis book. Such perfection. It reminds me of Ginger Scott. Story of a young adult dealig with adult situation.

Ava is just heart breaking. There is so much on her shoulder to bear. Her whole world falling apart. Her entire future is gone. She is prisoner on her own home. And Connor. He is such a gentle hero. Slowly he breaks into Ava's world and they both find peace.

The reality of their world ripping them apart
Corina
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Heartache and Hope is the first new book released by this author in a couple of years, and I’m happy to say, the author hasn’t lost her touch in the slightest.

This contemporary YA romance duet combines my favorite tropes – it’s a high school sports romance with an emotional depth that’s rarely found – it was full of touching and tender moments.

As expected, the characters are more mature and have more responsibilities to carry than any other YA characters I ever read about outside of this author’
Robin Hill
I should not have loved this, but I did. When I neared the end, I thought, Here we go. This is why I can't do YA. But nope, I was pleasantly surprised.

If you're like me and hate YA for the high school drama, you can rest assured, this book doesn't have any. McLean somehow manages to write believable teenagers that don't make you want to roll your eyes.

And I loved the basketball references, even though I hate basketball. Mind blown.

Don't laugh. I have no say over who my mind casts. 😂😂😂
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
~Dawn~TUG
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh new words from Jay!!!!!!!

ALL THE STARS IN THE SKY!!

When you are a blogger you read A LOT of books. Some you enjoy, some you love, some just stroll "meh" through your life. But some, they stain your soul, the words bleed into your being and just exist, as if they were destined to be a part of YOU. Ms. McLean writes these stories. This one though? This one just replaced the favorites that resided prior. This one is SPECIAL. A read that reminds us that life is unfair, brutal ev
Arini
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
#1 heartache and hope — 4.5 stars
#2 first and forever — 4 stars

how this book made me feel ...

what did you do to me, book?? you have completely rocked my world within the span of twenty four hours!!

i’m not the kind of girl who’s easy to impress. yet during the time we spent together, you’ve managed to make me: laugh from your easy jokes and snarky banter; weep over how crazy and tragic your life is at seventeen; fall in love bcs of your words, your strength, your compassion, your ambition
Malene
What I like about Jay McLean is her ability to write mature teenagers without making it too adult. Ava and Connor are two amazing characters who each have their struggles in life. It’s relatable and at times hauntingly real. Their friendship and blooming love is beautiful written and explored through these two seventeen year olds.
Heartache and Hope was fast read but only because I couldn’t stop reading. I was so invested in Connor and Ava’s journey. Connor is such a great and sweet guy who like
EmBibliophile
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
3.75 ‘Magic’ stars

Love is not a noun. Love is something you do. Something you prove. Something you work hard to create. Love is not something that simply exists because you say it. Love is not a noun. Love is a verb.

Ava and Connor’s story was so heartbreaking and so beautiful at the same time. It was filled with both hope and heartache. And it was so magical.

Ava is so strong. She carry a heavy weigh and have a lot of responsibilities for such a young girl. She gave everything she can without com
NMmomof4
4 Stars

Overall Opinion: I liked this! It got my feels going for these character’s messy life situations. I liked both characters apart as well as their connection together. I’m hoping that the second book wraps things up in a good way...especially because I’ve realized that I’ve established a dislike for duets and trilogies because usually the pacing is all wrong for what seems like an attempt at just stretching out the story to multiple books instead of one. So fingers crossed! On to the next
Melanie (mells_view)
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Teenage hormones are one hell of a drug.”

Jay McLean does a beautiful job, in Heartache and Hope, blending the magical feelings of young love and the bitter realities some must face in life. H&H has a mature YA feel, and covers some serious subject matter. Told in the dual POV’s of Ava and Connor. It’s a bit of a slow burn, but this is book one in a duet so it lends to the build of the characters relationship!

I want to say so much about Ava and Connor, but I think it’s best you meet them on your
Natalie ✩★ The Biblioholic ★✩
The book is called Heartache and Hope. Well, that ain't no lie! Connor and Ava's story is overflowing with heartache and pain and suffering and struggles with a tiny glimmer of hope. From the moment he saw her, he wanted to know her. She was shrouded in mystery and he couldn't help but want to solve her puzzle. Yet the more he learned, the less he knew and Ava was absolutely no help.

"... you never have to hide who you are with me. Because I'm here. And I'll wear your pain as if it were mine. I
Jen
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ALL THE STARS IN THE UNIVERSE

Magic. Pure heart magic. Between the pages of this book you’ll find a captivating and magnificent tale created by one of the most talented YA authors out there. Jay McLean poured her magical fairy dust throughout this story and I fell. Hard . I’m writing this review and trying to see through the tears that won’t stop pouring from my eyes. Jay, what have you done to me?!!

I have been waiting for new words from my unicorn author, and when I saw she was writing a duet
Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦

“When the world is at its darkest, that’s when the magic appears…”

It has been so long since I have read a Jay McLean story and when I found out she was releasing a duet, I knew I had to drop everything and read it. I absolutely adored Kick Push and her More Than series, but I believe Heartache and Hope is her best book yet. I read this book in one sitting and could not get enough; it is a complete rollercoaster of a read that had my emotions all over the place, but the pain I felt wh
shirley ♡
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
“When the world is at its darkest, that’s when the magic appears,”

This is my first book by this author and it completely broke my heart. This book just become one of my fave read of the year. I love the characters so much, and just want to be happy. Can’t wait to read the next book.

“Connor: Ava, I love you. ALL of you.”
Jessica  (Angie & Jessica's Dreamy Reads)
Omgggggggggg!!!! This!!!! This is the book I've been dying for. This is the book that would unknowingly satiate all of my relentless cravings for angst and heartache and deliciously brutal teen drama but only momentarily because now I'm left hungry for more. THIS BOOK is precisely why you'll never in a million years hear me complain about cliffhangers. THIS is a superb demonstration of exactly why I enjoy them so much. I'm actually dying right now... dying from that ending, dying for MORE. But t ...more
moonlight ☾
6++ stars

✨ beautiful, wonderful, amazing, heartbreaking, lovely, tearjerker, stunning, my whole world ✨

description

description

This book completely owns my heart and soul! ConnorAva were...something else. They made me smile, cry, swoon, yell, laugh and feel all the feels. Both were fighters in their own way, but together? They were the perfect match and I was rooting for them from beginning to end. thank god the second book is already out cause I need more of these two! 10/10 recommend. <33

- my favorite “goals” mom
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
4.5 ⭐'s

“There is no magic in a broken heart.”

Oh-my-goodness...I knew this would be a heart breaker! I love Jay McLean's stories but this one pulls at all the heart strings.

Ava's Mom was in the military and she had a rough go to say the least. It's forever changed all their lives. Connor's present life has been better but he has also suffered in his past.

Right from when he first sees Ava, he's drawn to her and she does everything she can to push him away. He's determined and soon they are tryi
Jessica
Good God, this was miserable! Really, the title ‘Heartache Duet’ should’ve clued me in but damn, this was depressing and painful on a level I didn’t expect. Like, imagine scraping your palms. And then rubbing salt into your scrapes. Repeatedly. That’s what reading this felt like. My chest still hurts. :(
Carla Bulian
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
melissa ☽
I just wanna hug Connor and Ava and protect them at all costs but I also just wanna lock these two up in a room so they can kiss and make up.

ItaPixie
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars

I loved this story.

I admit that reading about these two young persons who have to carry the weight of their worlds on their shoulders broke my heart, to see them fight against fate and life in order to be a normal teen just for a few hours broke my heart, to see them turn on a little light of hope for each other made me hopeful but the end just brought me some more heartbreak.

“Love is not a noun.
Love is something you do.
Something you prove.
Something you work hard to create.
Love is not som

Anna Banana
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poc-heroines

It's been YEARS since I've read a book by Jay McLean, and honestly I kinda forgot about her books. But after reading this, it reminded me so much of what I loved about her books.

This book was so addictive, I tried to read this as much as I could after work every night and I was tempted to even bring it to work to try and read some more. I really like Jay's writing style and I really got drawn into this story about Ava and Connor. Yes, at the beginning I was kinda eye-rolling a bit and had to di

• Teardrop Shot
  • Written with You (The Regret Duet, #2)
  • The Guy on the Right (The Underdogs, #1)
  • Written with Regret (The Regret Duet, #1)
  • Forever and Never (Magnolia Cove, #2)
  • Broken Knight (All Saints High, #2)
  • Playing with Fire
  • I Hate You
  • Cruel Prince (Royal Hearts Academy, #1)
  • Interference (St. Michaels Duet, #1)
  • Landon & Shay: Part One (L&S Duet, #1)
  • Enemies
  • The Wreckage of Us
  • Dear Ava
  • Fake It 'Til You Break It
  • The Trouble with You (Rixon Raiders, #1)
  • Rich Prick
  • Bad Influence (Bad Love #3)
Jay McLean is an international best-selling author and full-time reader, writer of New Adult and Young Adult romance, and skilled procrastinator. When she’s not doing any of those things, she can be found running after her three little boys, investing way too much time on True Crime Documentaries and binge-watching reality TV.
She writes what she loves to read, which are books that can make her lau

Heartache Duet (2 books)
  • First and Forever (Heartache Duet, #2)