Start by marking “Payback (DI Charley Mann #1)” as Want to Read:
Payback (DI Charley Mann #1)

Payback

(DI Charley Mann #1)

The brand new series from the storyline consultants to TV's Happy Valley and Scott & Bailey and author of the DI Jack Dylan novels.

Charley Mann left Yorkshire for the Met and a fast-track career - but now she's back, she's in charge and the area's first young, female DI. Her hometown, the Yorkshire countryside, and her old friends all seem unchanged, but appearances

Published December 6th 2019 by The Dome Press

To ask other readers questions about Payback, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Payback

Start your review of Payback (DI Charley Mann #1)
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I was over the moon to hear that R.C Bridgestock had a brand new series coming out. Whilst this is another detective series, this feels quite different to the DI Jack Dylan series.

Charley, I loved. Having moved away from her home town to London to progress in her career, she finds herself back in her hometown with mixed feelings. Whilst she is great at her job and likes to do things by the book, I feel there is so much more to come from her yet.

The authors do well introducing us to this new cast
Cathy
No sooner has Charley Mann, newly promoted to Inspector, arrived back on her home turf in Yorkshire than she finds herself taking on the lead role in the investigation of a murder. The investigation becomes more complicated as her personal and professional life collide and the murder attracts unwelcome press attention. An unsupportive boss doesn’t help either.

Charley is no angel. She didn’t get the nickname ‘Champagne Charley’ for nothing, she doesn’t suffer fools gladly, is intolerant of
Jane
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Payback: RC Bridgestock
I’m Hooked on Mann
The new series from husband and wife crime fighters turned crime writers eagerly awaited, didn’t disappoint. What a fab read. DI Charley Mann is an inspired new character. I can see a TV series coming off the back of this new character who is real and flawed and dedicated to her job and recovering from a love-affair which turned nasty. She arrives back in her old stomping ground – from the Met - to head her old team and solve a Yorkshire murder but
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book reviews on www.snazybooks.com

Payback kicks off this new crime series with a bang, introducing us to plucky DCI Charley Mann, who has returned to her hometown after having moved to London under challenging circumstances many years ago. I haven’t read anything by writing couple R.C. Bridgestock before, so haven’t got to experience their highly prasied DI Jack Dylan series, but from reading Payback I can see why they are such a popular writing duo.

In this novel, we slowly start to unpick what
Yin Johnson
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A new anticipated crime series begins with DI Charley Mann and was this a treat. Fast compiling pages of this new DI character jumps off the pages in her quest to solve the Yorkshire murder. The Police procedure takes the story with indepth look at how a SIO works without being an instruction book.
All the Yorkshire scenes terms and language are just in keeping with the setting, bringing a smile whilst reading as I'm a proud Yorkshire Lass.
Great first of a new series and impatient now for book 2
Pamela Mcnulty
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
DI Charley Mann is a woman with a mind of her own and woe betide anyone who thinks otherwise. She’ll put you in your place before you have chance to draw breath. She knows what she wants and will leave no stone unturned to get it, be it the capture of a criminal on her patch or someone she’s set her sights on in her personal life. Newly returned from the bright lights and bustle of London to the supposedly quieter Yorkshire village of Marsden, in West Yorkshire, she provides an exciting and ...more
Tracy Petterson
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another gripping read by the bridgestock duo. It has left me on tenterhooks for the next instalment of charley Mann. Love the feisty new character.
Hayley
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I must admit I've not read any of the well loved DI Jack Dylann series by this writing duo so I had no preconceptions going in, but I most definitley recommend.

We meet Charley Mann, who having lived in London to further her police career in the Met after suffering a heartbreak, returns to her homeland in Huddersfield as a Detective Inspector.

On her very first day on the job a body is discovered hanging by its feet from a tree. Being thrown in at the deep end, Charlie has to lead a team of both
Melanie Hill
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and, like with all RC Bridgestock novels, I was hooked from the first few pages. One of those great books that you just can't put down once you start reading it. DI Charley Mann is a very realistic character and the authors weave in authenticity through their knowledge of police work and the atmosphere of the West Yorkshire countryside. Really looking forward to reading the next in the series to see what DI Mann gets up to next!
Philip Johnson
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This New Character from Bob and Carol @RCBridgestock DI Charley Mann exceeded all my expectations as an Investigator in Yorkshire and the Private Sector for over 30 years, the turn of every page brought "God's own County" to life, the excellent detail of accurate Police Procedure and the twists and turns of the plot made it compulsory to turn the pages, this is bound to be the first of many and I will be sharing and recommending this to my Law Enforcement, Investigator colleagues Worldwide as an ...more
Katie-Ellen
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Payback
A DI Charley Mann Novel
RC Bridgestock

I think crime fiction readers and fans of DI Jack Dylan especially, are in for a treat with the first in this brand new series from RC Bridgestock. DI Charley Mann has warmth, grit and something just a little uncanny as she directs her team, hunting for a brutal killer operating close to home. Very close. Sometimes you think you know someone- and then they give you a shock. Charley has had such a shock- and she has kept it to herself, until now- but
Linda Hill
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Back on home turf, DI Charley Mann’s first day is off to a dramatic start.

I thoroughly enjoyed Payback as it is a carefully crafted and meticulously plotted crime thriller. I think it’s the attention to detail from authors who know police procedures so intimately that makes Payback so intriguing. I felt I learned a great deal at the same time as being hugely entertained.

The way Charley Mann’s character is gradually revealed throughout Payback is masterful, particularly when it comes to her back
Alyson Read
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
DI Charley Mann left her hometown in Yorkshire when she was promoted to DS and was immediately transferred to the Met in London. She didn't always see eye to eye with her senior officer in those days, and now back at Peel Street station in Huddersfield the twenty nine year old finds Divisional Commander Roper hasn't changed. In fact little has changed since she has been away apart from her old boyfriend from childhood has married and moved away. Or so she thought. As head of CID her team ...more
Sonya Alford
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have been hearing so much about R.C. Bridgestock’s books but have never read any of them. So, when I saw that there was a new series being published, I jumped at the chance of reading 'Payback’. The verdict? I LOVED it. It was everything I expected and much more.

I really liked the writing style. I found ‘Payback’ to be a gripping and fast-paced read with quite a few shockers.

I enjoyed meeting DI Charley Mann and her team and getting to know them all. I actually felt as if I was there in the
Pam Robertson
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely surprise, to find out that this book is set around Marsden and Huddersfield- places I know well. I could absolutely recognise the landscape and the people as I read the story. This is the first outing for DI Charley Mann and I think she has great potential. At times, unpredictable, she is a credible character who certainly leads from the front.

As a police procedural, this is a well crafted story with a realistic flavour. It feels believeable. With pacing which never lets up and
Mystical Garden
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read all RC Bridgestock's amazing book and loved them all. The first book in this new series is vert good. Feels very true to life and gritty. What I love about this book and the others is that you really feel that you are there with the detectives and in the story. These guys have such a wealth of knowledge and really know how to bring you into the story. This book introduces a new detective and series and leaves you on the edge of your seat and and desperate for the next book! Also their ...more
Sarah Leigh
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another page turner by the Yorkshire Crime writing duo Bob & Carol Bridgestock.
A fab new character following on from DI Jack Dylan.
DI Charley Mann has to prove herself returning back to Yorkshire from the Met. A feisty female who gets the job done, cuts no corners and is thorough whilst still taking her younger colleagues under her wing.
Policy and procedures followed to the letter with such authenticity due to their years of police experience.
Couldn’t put it down and kept me gripped to the
Danielle
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come!
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All reviews can be found at sarahsvignettes.wordpress.com

*I received a proof copy of the book in return for this honest review.

This is the first novel I’ve read by the crime writing duo R.C. Bridgestock and I loved it. I am really pleased that I have discovered their excellent writing at the beginning of the DI Charley Mann series.

I’m quite partial to watching a British detective tv drama and that’s what Payback feels like. My imagination was the screen. There is such a high level of detail
Andy Wormald
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As DI Charley Mann returns back home to lead a new team after having worked in the Met where she enjoyed a fast track career, she soon finds herself deep into a murder enquiry. An enquiry hampered by her ex boyfriend and local news reporter Danny Rey.

Having been a long time fan of the Dylan series, I always approach the start of the new series and characters with slight trepidation will it be as good?, will it have a different feel?, fortunately when you have two authors as good as RC
terry wilford
Jan 10, 2020
Heather Nixon
Jan 21, 2020

• A Dark Matter
  • Ryan's Christmas (DCI Ryan Mysteries #15)
  • A Perfect Cornish Christmas
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • In Five Years
  • Hysteria (Alexander Gregory Thrillers, #2)
  • The Secret Santa
  • Black Summer (Washington Poe, #2)
  • A Christmas Crime: a festive mystery short story
  • The Memory Wood
  • The Secrets We Kept
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • He Knows Your Secrets
  • The Good Woman (The Craig Crime Series Book 22)
  • A Messy Affair (Lena Szarka Mysteries #3)
  • Three Hours
  • One Lost Soul (Hidden Norfolk Murder Mystery #1)
  • The Liar (Mike Croft, #4)

RC Bridgestock is the name that husband and wife co-authors Robert (Bob) and Carol Bridgestock write under. Between them they have nearly 50 years of police experience, offering an authentic edge to their stories. The writing duo created the character DI Jack Dylan, a down-to- earth detective, written with warmth and humour.

Bob was a highly commended career detective of 30 years, retiring at the