Start by marking “Daughters of Darkness” as Want to Read:
Daughters of Darkness

Daughters of Darkness

46 horrific tales. All by women.

When you were little, you had a nanny. A nanny only you could see.

There are clumps of dark hair in the swimming pool. Curling around your toes, slowly tugging you down.

"The Love Simulator" shows your perfect life with 'The One'... which turns out to be your worst nightmare.

DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS brings you 46 tales of terror from the depths
Published May 15th 2019 by Black Widow Press

To ask other readers questions about Daughters of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughters of Darkness

Start your review of Daughters of Darkness
The Write Sisters
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good anthologies vary in their stories; there are far too many subgenres to explore within horror, but Daughters of Darkness takes a stab, pun intended, at a good number of them. This collection ranges from the vaguely unsettling to the deeply disturbing, from sudden surprises to slow builds of tensions. The especially unique note comes from the fact that the entire collection is built of stories written by women.

It is interesting to see horror from a distinctly female perspective, and the
Nina Campbell
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Daughters of Darkness is a set of 46 individual horror stories written by different women compiled in this compelling anthology. This is an excellent set of short stories that are perfect to read one at a time or in groups. One thing that every single story in this set have in common is that they are thought provoking, twisted, and chilling. I was so engrossed when reading almost every story in this set I loathed to put it down. If you love a good horror story, than I’m sure these horror stories ...more
Stephanie
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This was a really awesome anthology! All of the stories were enjoyable, I didn't skip any of them. Some were definitely more scary than others but that contrast created a really nice balance of different levels of horror.
Nick Lopez
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a gem. The stories are all haunting and unsettling. I particularly loved the one by Jennifer Winters, "Weird Church." The rural setting is one of complete familiarity to me, and the creepy vibe of a church that goes a bit too far rings true. The author could have gone too far by explicitly laying out the ending and the details of this weird church, but chose wisely to leave it open ended and up to the reader's imagination.

Do yourself a favor, and get this book!

I received a free copy
Margot S
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down. These stories are all incredible. I don't think I could pick a favorite. I cannot wait to check out the other anthologies
Nathaniel Darkish
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A solid horror anthology, with all-female contributors which gave the book a unique perspective. As with any anthology, it was a bit of a mixed bag in terms of what worked for me and what didn't, but I'd say overall I enjoyed the vast majority of the stories, which is rare for me, even in collections by a single writer I enjoy.

There are definitely a few stories that stood out: "The Woman Upstairs," "Weird Church," and "Lies I Tell" coming to mind. I'm definitely going to be following the writing
Billie
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
46 horrific tales. All by women.
When you were little, you had a nanny. A nanny only you could see.
DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS brings you 46 tales of terror from the depths of the female mind. Pull up a chair and listen to the horrors of murderous femme fatales, fiercely protective mothers, and
Liza Van
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow what an awesome collection of short stories to absolutely blow your mind with the unexpected twists and turns, scare you into oblivion and ensure you won't sleep for a while as you have to finish this collection. Had so much fun reading this as it kept me on the edge of my seat. A must read for lovers of horror and suspense. Very much in the same league as Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Willow Rose, Michael Campling. A must read!

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am
alice(noreen alice law)
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Versatile

writing styles really helped stories flow. I like to read anthologies bc I like the ability to sample stories and styles. Sadly I've had to put on my waders to walk through those equivalent to fertilizers,and I've read some memorable good stories that intro new authors. Honestly in this volume there were no stinkers,they run the spectrum from cute,creepy,whimsical,etc this is a rarity(in my opinion)it is well worth to have this book. Maybe enough good ratings will inspire DoD pt II,I'd
Sharon
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing collection of stories written by women, most of whom I have never read before and so this was a real treat and a great way to introduce new authors. The stories are of different standards but overall, they are wonderful. There is so much variety that there should be something for anyone and everyone who enjoys horror stories.
Pat Eroh
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you like creepy and scary, this is the book for you! This will scare the daylights out of you and give you nightmares! I loved every story in this anthology. Best read in a brightly lit room with a lot of safe people near you!

Judith
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This anthology is fantastic and compelling. Stories range from creepy/disturbing to terrifying. I'm usually a slow reader but I blew through this anthology - It's positively addictive! Also a huge plus that they're all written by women.... cheers to Daughters of Darkness!

Heather Bane
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has 46 horror tales included in it. They are all by women which was a really cool detail of the book. I found them well written. I love these books with multiple horror short stories and this one did not disappoint. I recommend reading this if you love horror!!

Crystal
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
A good read. Many different point of view scary stories. Creepy, scary, makes you wonder whats going to happen next kinds of stories. Some of the stories I liked some of the stories, some took a little more to get into reading. Overall good.

Nervavels
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Each story packed a kick!

I enjoyed reading this very much. I love horror stories, and each and everyone of these scared me. And they’re so clever, based on things you wouldn’t think about, the regular kind of events. Perfect.
Lolapaige
Nov 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
A couple of good stories. I was a little iffy about reading this and just as I suspected politics and feminism were involved (to clarify-in a few stories, not all) and it soured the entire thing for me. If those kinds of things don't irritate you then you may enjoy it.
Tammy N Bauer
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Variety of Twisted Tales!

Loved being able to read different authors without commitment of spending the entire day immersed in a book, that I couldn't put down. Introduced to new authors, looking forward to reading more!
Luna Vaughan
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. These ladies are very talented. I absolutely recommend this book to all horror/scary story fans out there. You'll love it.

Rachel Benham
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great collection of short horror stories with women in the lead. I enjoyed them all and the collection was worth reading over and over again.

Nicole
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All-Women Horror Authors

Another great read of short stories! Which as usual, leaves me wanting more. I am hooked! Ready to buy the next anthology on my list.
Cha Webster
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

It was good to read stories by women. They were comfortable but not too scary. I wouldn’t read them alone in the house. Maybe have some cats around just in case.
Nelly
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5

Some of the stories were very interesting, others were very predictable. My rating would've been 4 stars, if it wasn't for the spelling and grammar mistakes in some of the stories.
Meg Manalo
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Blair Daniels and the featured authors, hands down to all of you! You show the real deal of girl power when it comes to writings! Hoping for more of this!

Leeann Bridge

• Dark Thoughts: A Collection of Horror Stories
  • Under The Safe House & Other Stories
  • Sleepless Nights: 168 Thriller, Horror, Suspense, and Mystery Short Stories
  • The Horror Collection: Purple Edition: THC Book 3
  • The Horror Collection: Black Edition (THC Book 2)
  • Short Horror Stories Vol. 1
  • One Bite at a Time: Short Stories of Horror
  • Next Door
  • Nightmareland
  • Ten Chimes to Midnight: A Collection of Ghost Stories
  • Lingering Things and Other Dark Tales: A Horror Anthology
  • Short Horror Stories Vol. 2
  • You saw something you shouldn't have
  • The Horror Collection: Gold Edition
  • Love, Death, and Other Inconveniences: Collection of Horror Stories
  • Under Rotting Sky
  • Wrong Roads: Scary Stories from Coast to Coast
“The brisk autumn air that Saturday was intoxicating. The air was crisp with a cool breeze. I hadn’t left the house intending to defy Maddie’s warning, but the sun shone through the trees that lined our backyard like guiding lights beckoning me to explore. Looking back over my shoulder the blue-grey wood of our new home looked old and heavy, but in a comforting way. Like a grandmother waiting for me to return and tell her stories of the forest fairies. I liked our new house. It had a wisdom to it, a knowledge that only old homes can possess. I faced the woods again and stepped forward.” 0 likes