Start by marking “God Made Me Unique: Helping Children See Value in Every Person” as Want to Read:
God Made Me Unique: Helping Children See Value in Every Person

God Made Me Unique: Helping Children See Value in Every Person

God Made Me Uniquehelps parents and caregivers teach children that God creates every person in the image of God and each individual has tremendous value, regardless of his or her appearance or abilities. The story is set in a classroom where a new student is introduced who has a disability and his classmates learn to ask questions and gain an understanding about their new ...more
Published August 19th 2019 by New Growth Press

To ask other readers questions about God Made Me Unique, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Made Me Unique

Start your review of God Made Me Unique: Helping Children See Value in Every Person
Suzie Waltner
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
From Joni and Friends comes a book that teaches children about disabilities. The inviting bright illustrations and rhyming prose make this an inviting and encouraging read for littles. But really stands out is the variety and well-written descriptions of disabilities. While none are specifically named, each is well represented.

Add in the resources for parents at the end of the book and the talking points throughout, and children will not only learn that God makes each of us special in our own
Jeanie
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, gift
Regardless of our abilities, we each are created by God with special value and gifts.

Children with disabilities can have a difficult time adjusting to school, church, anywhere there are people. It is good to remember that our relationship with the Lord reminds us that we are worthy and we are made in His image. In this read out loud book, our children are reminded that some children are special with disabilities or special needs and how we can be sensitive to those needs. Children are curious
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
GOD MADE ME UNIQUE is a special book designed to teach children about special needs children. It covers a lot of different disabilities, with some short definitions and a guide to teach children more about the topic.

As a parent with disabilities, I appreciate the message in the book and the gentle way its presented. This book would be great for a daycare, preschool, Christian school, or church to have in its children's library. Also good for parents of children with disabilities or who know
Rebecca
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An outstanding look at what it means to see value in every person as a unique creation of God, then communicating that truth on a child's level in a way that they can easily understand.

What an amazing tool for parents and teachers, especially in a church setting.
Calvinist Batman
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of my favorite children's books of all time, hands down. In my opinion, this book is even better than God Made All of Me: A Book to Help Children Protect Their Bodies, though this subject (disabilities) is more written about.

SUMMARY

This children's book focuses on teaching children about disabilities. While it rarely names a disability, it absolutely nails the symptoms or effects of them. It also uses disabilities as a launching point to talk about the Church as the body of Christ, even
Faye
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The children at Sunday School are getting a new classmate. Together they talk with with their teacher about their own differences and special needs, and how God made each of us, and can use us for His glory.

I loved how this book encouraged the children to be open and ask questions to get to know their friends. All throughout the charming rhyming verses there was a beautiful sense of valuing every human life regardless of individual abilities and how each person serves.

Our special gifts and
Theron StJohn
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There is no way to state the significance of the story of God Made Me Unique. This is as much a book for the church as it is for children. Church leaders should read this book to see the value of all people, particularly special needs children, in their congregations. Children’s Bible teachers should glean from this resource how they can be more sensitive and strategic in their lessons. All adults would do well to read the back section of the book titled “Four Ways to Help Your Child Understand ...more
Maureen Timerman
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
What a wonderful little read for your young one, they are usually accepting of children that are different, and this book helps to show, with beautiful illustrations, examples.
Along with a story, and with Christian values, showing children to treat others with respect and kindness.
I think that every parent should have this book to share with their little ones, if we start early to show differences, children are really accepting, and this is a great resource.
I loved that there is a guidance for
Wendy
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
God Made Me Unique is authored by Joni and Friends, the ministry group advocating for people with disabilities started by Joni Eareckson Tada. Subtitled: Helping Children See Value in Every Person, this book helps children realise that there are many differences amongst people in the world, but we are all still made by God and loved by him.

Set in a Sunday School class, one morning the teacher announces there is a new student arriving, Brie. The teacher starts an explanation of special needs and
Shirley Alarie
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Breaking barriers to people’s differences.

God Made Me Unique is based upon the Bible verse Isaiah 64:8 “Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay. You are the potter. Your hands made all of us.”

One ordinary Sunday at church, the children learn a new girl will be joining them. Over the course of the class preparing for the new girl, we learn about the other children and things that make them unique. Wyatt has his spinning toy and stands while the other children sit and Jamal uses his wheelchair.
Jolene
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
God Made Me Unique from Joni and Friends offers parents a wonderful resource for explaining to young children (ages 3-6) about disabilities/special needs. In the foreword, Joni Eareckson Tada explains the purpose of the book is to help “children to understand that every person is made in the image of God and has tremendous value, regardless of their appearance or abilities.” This purpose comes through clearly as Ms. Campbell shares with her class (some of which have their own special needs) that ...more
Connie Saunders
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
God Made Me Unique is a book that needs to be in every classroom! It shows children that even though we may have disabilites and disadvantages, we are still just as God intended! We may look different, we may have different talents, but we are all perfect in God's eyes. It stresses time and again that we need to treat others with kindness and love.

The rhyming verse makes this book both fun to read and fun to hear and the bright and colorful illustrations are perfect to quickly gain a child's
Renee Knoblauch
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a mom with a child with disabilities I’m always so grateful to find books that talk about kids with disabilities. This is one of the best ones I’ve seen.
The setting is in the Sunday school classroom at church when a child who has disabilities is introduced. Wyatt looks pretty normal on the outside and he is spinning a fidget spinner. The kids start talking about kids with different disabilities from being in a wheelchair. It goes on to say that, “God made me unique; it is part of His plan.”
W. Whalin
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An Important Book for Children and Adults

For decades Joni Eareckson Tada has been at the forefront of helping people see the uniqueness of every person through her ministry, Joni and Friends. With GOD MADE ME UNIQUE, author Chonda Ralston and illustrator Tish Mahoney have created an excellent children’s book. This story combines thoughtful and rhyming words with pointed illustrations and a powerful message: every person has value—no matter how they first appear.

GOD MADE ME UNIQUE is a book
Veronica
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a sweet story about a new girl coming to Sunday School who has special needs. The teacher is explaining to the class in a fun rhyming style how God makes each one of us different and unique. Each person also has a different part to play for the church body, with different talents and abilities. She talks about different types of disabilities, seen and unseen and reminds the children to treat each other kindly and that they're just like us. There's a section at the back for parents to go ...more
Michelle Kidwell
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
God Made Me Unique
Helping Children See the Value in Every Person

by Joni and Friends

New Growth Press

Children’s Fiction , Christian

Pub Date 19 Aug 2019

I am reviewing a copy of God Made Me Unique through Joni and Friends/New Growth Press:

In this easy to understand book that I feel would make a great teaching school for acceptance to those with disabilities in a Sunday School Class for younger children reminding them that regardless of our abilities, God creates us all with special values and gifts
Jill
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Written by Chondra Ralston and illustrated by Trish Mahoney, "God Made Me Unique" teaches children about the value of every person and how to treat people with special needs. The book uses a children's Sunday school class to teach children how to relate to those who are different from themselves and to show that everyone has a uniqueness about them. As the children share about times they have felt left out, they begin to understand how people with special needs feel who are often made fun of ...more
Leslie M.
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it

This book introduces the reader to children with special needs in an age-appropriate manner. Children will see that everyone should be treated with kindness, love, and respect, no matter the differences. God loves us all, we are all valuable, and everyone is created in God's image. It's a rhyming story, which makes it more relatable and engaging for children.

At the end of the book are pages with resources and ways to help children understand disabilities and how they're a part of God's plan.

Kaitlyn S.
This fun rhyming poem is a simple way to teach younger children how God made each and every one of us unique -- and that we are all created in the image of a loving Creator God who cares for each and every one of us. With plenty of Bible verses throughout its pages, we learn of different ways we are each unique.

I enjoyed the ending, where the author talks about the uniqueness of each member of the church, and how everyone -- the silent one who is serving behind the scenes, those who clean the
Teresa Nasson
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a complimentary copy of God made me Unique from the publisher - New Growth Press, through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own - and well, my five year old daughters'.

God made me Unique was a lovely story teaching about disabilities and as the title suggests, how unique God has made each one of us. The book is a rhyming story which is always way better to read to children, or well my active five year old daughter. The classroom setting was relatable and
Vicky Sluiter
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is written very simply and age appropriate, yet is very educational. And the illustrations are beautiful!

Presented in a very natural way, children are taught to see value in everyone through this story. No child is excluded or thought odd because of disabilities. They are accepted and loved because we are all created and loved by God. A great learning tool, it includes resources for parents. I highly recommend it!

I received a complimentary copy of this book but was not required to
Dianna (SavingsInSeconds blog)
This story takes place in a Sunday School class that awaits a new friend. The visitor wears headphones because she doesn’t like loud noises. As the teacher prepares students for Brie’s arrival, she guides students to a discussion about being unique and how they can each serve God in their own special way. It’s a sweet book that introduces kids to the ideas that other people might look or behave differently, but we’re all special in God’s eyes.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher.
Julia
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE the books in this series and this was no exception. I will be purchasing copies of this for many friends I love and care for with special needs. This book is beautifully illustrated, written in lovely rhymes and addresses special needs in a simple but clear way. Every parent should read this book!
Leticia Glidewell
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What I loved about this book is how it approaches young children to be open about their curiosity when they encounter children with disabilities, that it's okay to ask questions. Children with disabilities are like everyone else, and that they deserve to be treated with respect and kindness. They will be able to interact with these children and not be afraid to befriend them or play with them.
Heather Persing
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
**I received this book from New Growth Press through Netgalley. All opinions are my own.**

I really appreciate how “God Made Me Unique” introduces special needs to kids in a way that is age appropriate and eliminates fear of those with differing abilities. I will definitely be purchasing a hard copy of this book for my kids!
Curtis
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book that could be used in churches, christian school, families etc. to teach about children who have disabilities and special needs.
It was written so well, and came at this topic with a variety of special needs without being overwhelming.
I read this with my 4 year old and he was captured by every word of it!
As a father of two deaf children, and some having sensory issues as well, this book was perfectly written.
Thank you for a great tool!
Lauren Paletta
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The message in this book is on point! This book teaches children that no matter how different we are, everyone should be treated with respect and love. We are all valuable!
#godmademeunique #Netgalley
Becky Van Daniker
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is super cute that shares a very important topic. Kids learn about disabilities and how God created each of them to be unique. I enjoyed how the author spoke about how each person and part plays a role in the church and how we need each other. Super cute and kid-friendly! Highly recommended! Full review coming soon!

UPDATE:

God Made Me Unique by Joni and Friends is an excellent book to explain to children how God values every person. The Sunday school teacher is preparing the students for a
Amy
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
God Made Me Unique: Helping Children See Value in Every Person is a very important read for all children (and for many adults, as well). It has some great lessons to learn that we all could learn from.
God Made Me Unique: Helping Children See Value in Every Person is a fabulous read. Even though it is a children’s book, I highly recommend it for all ages! I would give it one hundred stars if I could.
I received this from the publisher. This review is 100% my own honest opinion.

Chris
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley and New Growth Press for an Advance Readers Copy of this book in exchange for my honest review!

This is an excellent book to help kids empathize with and be a better friend to those who have disabilities or special needs. Kids will learn that God made every single person in His image. Every person has value because God created each one uniquely with abilities to serve in the church body.

• God Made Boys and Girls: Helping Children Understand the Gift of Gender
  • Gus Loses His Grip: When You Want Something Too Much (Good News for Little Hearts Series)
  • Why Do We Say Good Night?
  • The Moon Is Always Round
  • Henry Says Good-bye: When You Are Sad (Good News for Little Hearts)
  • Tori Comes Out of Her Shell: When You Are Lonely (Good News for Little Hearts Series)
  • NIV Beautiful Word Coloring Bible for Girls: Hundreds of Verses to Color
  • The Way of the Brave (Global Search and Rescue, #1)
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • Safe and Sound: Standing Firm in Spiritual Battles
  • The Rebel Bride (Daughter of the Mayflower, #10)
  • Jesus in Me: Experiencing the Holy Spirit as a Constant Companion
  • The Dating Charade
  • Seconds to Live (Homeland Heroes, #1)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • Something Needs to Change: A Call to Make Your Life Count in a World of Urgent Need
  • Protecting Tanner Hollow (Tanner Hollow, #1-4)
Joni and Friends is an organization that accelerates Christian outreach in the disability community. Founded in 1979, their mission is to communicate the gospel and equip Christ-honoring churches worldwide to evangelize and disciple people affected by disability. The organization authors numerous books including titles such as the Beyond Suffering Bible, Real Families, Real Needs, and a series of ...more