Start by marking “Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Spark of the Resistance” as Want to Read:
Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Spark of the Resistance

Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Spark of the Resistance

(Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker)

When a distress plea goes up from the isolated planet Minfar, Resistance heroes Rey, Poe, and Rose hear the call! Together they will face down a First Order battalion, terrifying flying creatures, and a weapon that could change the course of the war!
Published October 4th 2019 by Disney Lucasfilm Press

To ask other readers questions about Journey to Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journey to Star Wars

Start your review of Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Spark of the Resistance
Khurram
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good medium sized story. This is definitely sumed at younger readers as all the Resistance heroes have their blasters set to stun and are capturing the First Order.

This is after the Last Jedi, the Restistance is cut to the bone in terms of personal and resources. However when a call for help is intercepted by Rey, Rose, Poe and BB8, they cannot ignore it. Figuring it would be better to ask forgiveness then permission they take the side mission to stop the First Order finding new we
Nicis
I have a big problem with the Resistance: They are absolutely boring, have been since the beggining and Lf has done nothing to make them more interesting. This book doesn't help either.

How is it that the First Order has been described as this big bad organization but every time they show us part of it in the extra material the officers and generals are these completely useless and cartoonish villians? They bad guy in SotR literally use the phrase: "I don't like to read" and then spea
Ben Brown
Part of the “Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” multimedia project that’s currently enveloping the “Star Wars” novel and comic lines, “Spark of the Resistance” is the first canon release of the line, as well as – unless I’ve missed something major – the first major piece of “Star Wars” fiction we’ve gotten that’s set post-“Episode XIII.” For those fans who read that and immediately start to nerd out, let me quickly put a bit of a damper on your excitement: there be no major revelations ...more
Lois
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
We have no idea how this connects, if at all to The Rise of Skywalker, but regardless, it's a nice little story of Rey, Rose and Poe helping these beings on this planet against the First Order from in between episodes 8 and 9. This is the first time with this narrator, and I really liked her!
Alyson Kent
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fast paced.
Chris Wermeskerch
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wasn't entirely impressed with Ireland's Lando's Luck - while it had some great character moments between Lando and L3, and I liked the new characters, I thought the plot was way too basic. I feel similarly here, BUT unlike in Lando's Luck, I felt the positives outweighed the simple story. The moments between Rey, Rose, Poe, and BB-8 were really well done on quite a few layers. (One thing I appreciated was how Ireland talked a bit about the dynamics between Poe and Rose considering he led the ...more
Mario
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this lovely junior book, Rey, Rose, Poe and BB-8, return from a mission aboard the Millennium Falcon when they pick up a distress call on a Resistance secret channel. When they arrive to the origin planet, they find a First Order warship and while avoiding TIE Fighters, their ship is damaged and they must land.

On the surface of the planet, they find a new rodent-like alien species, who have been fighting the First Order who are on the look for a powerful weapon kept on abandoned I
Jonathan Koan
This is the first Middle Grade Book in the Canon that I've been able to get and I'm happy to say that it was a very enjoyable read.

The first thing going in that readers need to know is that it's a middle grade book, not an adult book, and therefore is written to a younger audience. That being said, it was a fun, short adventure that was for the most part predictable, but still had some fun twists and turns.

I have typically been dissapointed with the "Journey to..." books
Spencer
Oct 15, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As I tend to read everything Star Wars related I inevitably picked this up, knowing that this is for younger fans I tried to keep an open mind but to be honest this was simply awful. Just because your intended audience is young doesn’t mean you should write like a child yourself.

The story, dialog and overall quality was completely lacking skill, it felt like no care was put into this at all so I don’t think that I would bother recommending this to anyone.
Andrew Bulthaupt
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars, audible
I listened to this book via Audible.

Spark of the Resistance takes place in between The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker and follows Rey, Rose, Poe, and BB-8 on a mission to bring supplies to the Resistance that is struggling after the Battle of Crait.

Of course things never go according to plan and the First Order gets involved, so our heroes find themselves in a very different situation, helping people instead of looking for help. Over the course of the story, we get t
Deni
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 A good adventure for middle school fans.
Heather Meadows
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful Star Wars romp!

I read this fun book in a single sitting, because I couldn’t put it down. The characterization is wonderful and the adventure is very Star Wars. I truly enjoyed seeing Rey, Rose, Poe, and BB-8 all have an adventure together. The new characters were great, especially Glenna. And the First Order commander was hilarious!
Jordan Anderson
Another reviewer stated that the resistance is boring and I 100% agree, especially when it comes to the main characters in Spark of the Resistance.

For 224 pages of Justina Ireland’s book, Rey, Poe, Rose, and BB8 just told around on a planet and do...things. Things that are so boring that I can’t even remember them after just finishing the book.

They’re also saccharin sweet, doing all the requisite good guy things and not being even slightly morally ambiguous. And, on the other side of the coin, th
Jay Gabler
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Although this book is aimed at ages 8-13, it’s significant for Star Wars fans of all ages if they’re breathlessly anticipating The Rise of Skywalker, the upcoming movie billed as the last of nine installments in “the Skywalker Saga.” As with previous films The Force Awakens (2015) and The Last Jedi (2017), Lucasfilm is publishing a series of books leading up the movie. That gives Justina Ireland’s book its two-colon title.

“Journey to” titles for the earlier movies introduced key characters and settings.
Judah-Ben Morales
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have read other books directed for a younger audience, and have been satisfied by many of them. Since English is not my native language I find those books way easier to grasp than novels written with a mature audience in mind. But I have come to understand that a story for young readers doesn't have to depict characters as if they were children. It's just the way the story is written that is simpler.

Regarding this book I have to say that the story itself had much potential, if only
Matthew
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-wars, fantasy
I'm eagerly devouring any and all Star Wars content set between Episodes 8 and 9. While it was cool to see the interactions between Rey, Poe and Rose in this novel, it kinda seems as though they left Finn out of the story to avoid advancing his respective plots with any of the other three.

Additionally, this book (aimed at younger readers) played the war aspect a little odd - none of the heroes shot to kill (except in ship battles), and Poe takes the unusual step of stunning & knocking uncon
Saimi Korhonen
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Spark of the Resistance was a fun little junior novel about an adventure Rey, Rose, Poe and BB-8 go on after they hear a distress call come from a far-away planet called Minfar. The planet is threatened by the First Order who are looking for a mysterious weapon that could help them destroy the Resistance once and for all, so naturally our heroes head to Minfar to help.

This book is part of the "Journey to the Rise of Skywalker" -line so it takes place after the Last Jedi and there are some hints
Ben
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
As a Star Wars story "Spark of the Resistance" is a decent tie-in for Episode 9. However, the writing leaves A LOT to be desired. I understand this book is aimed at younger audiences but this book reads like it was written by an eight year old, that features a host of cringe inducing lines. I will say that it does slightly improve towards the end.

What I liked about this book the most was that despite the dopey plot of a mind control machine, the story felt consequential to the Star Wars EU than
Dennis Keithly
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary: This was a quick and fun Star Wars adventure set between The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker. It is clearly written with a middle grade audience in mind. It features some fun, very Star Wars-esque scenes, but it also has a villain that is something of a trope. Overall, I'd give it about 3.75 stars.

PROS: As mentioned earlier, there are some scenes that are very much what one would expect from Star Wars. Many of these feature the Millennium Falcon. There are also a few min
David
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am a huge fan of the Legends timeline, I feel the stories told were more mature and better written in general. That being said, every since Disney took over the franchise, I feel the majority of the material coming out is oriented for kids and young adults, leaving adults and "long time fans" on the sideline, trying to attract the new younger audience and forgetting about the fans that have been around for 40 years. That being I am still giving the new Disney timeline it's fair chance and read ...more
Joshua
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
A very slight story in the grand scheme of things, one of the Star Wars novelizations most clearly hampered by what is the sort of "comic book problem" of Lucasfilm's unified canon approach to Star Wars - like major comic book events, everything of relevance to this world has to occur in the cinematic films. "Lesser" media formats are left to tread water in terms of impact, even characterization can't get too far or else you would alienate people who don't read these things.

Within th
Tait Sougstad
Oct 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Rey must fly the Falcon. Poe musses his hair and is glad to at least smoke a few TIE fighters. Rose timidly hides in a corner of the engine compartment, trying to stay off screen unless absolutely necessary. A devious new bad guy... what was his name? Not at all important, I guess. Well, he twirls his mustache and grins deviously, avoiding action and dreaming of sweet, sweet promotions.

Nothing motivates a bad guy like a promotion.

Some dancing with strange and friendly ali
James
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Even knowing that Spark of the Resistance was written for a much younger audience than myself, I couldn’t help but be impressed by how accurately it captured the personalities of Rey and co. As simple as the prose was, I could practically hear the live-action actors reciting the lines as I read.

That said, the book itself contains a fairly-forgettable narrative that I feel like I’ve read many times in Star Wars lit; that of the underdog-natives versus the brutal occupying force. Thoug
Marcelo Gonzalez
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Word to the Wise: if it says "Journey to [movie title]", just skip it. In a throwaway story, the First Order is after an Imperial mind control device (which has no place in Star Wars lore) while Rey, Poe, Rose, and BB-8 attempt to thwart their endeavor.

I liked Ireland's 'Lando's Luck' story, so this is a disappointing release from her. It too was a throwaway story, but she did a wonderful job with Landon. The same cannot be said of her characterizations of our Resistance Era heroes.<
Amelia
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and easy read

This was a wonderful fix for my Rey and Rose-deprived heart. I didn’t go in expecting anything truly revealing but it did give some insight into how the Resistance and First Order are rebuilding after TLJ. The new characters were easy to love and I especially loved the imagery as Ireland described it. The story could have been meatier but I think that’s more on Lucasfilm than the author since the film and other books are still to be released. I would reAd more from this aut
Patricia
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-star-wars
A fun and fast-paced story on a magnificent planet. It's nothing new or shocking but fulfils its purpose of hinting at what the Resistance has been up to. I wasn't surprised by any twists and turns but Spark of the Resistance has an appealing antagonist (and one very boring one) and beautiful illustrations by Phil Noto, which makes it perfect for the intended target audience of young readers.

For my full review in German, click here: https://jedi-bibliothek.de/2019/11/re...
Eoui
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me this book was just fun. It didn't need a super special unique villain, it didn't need a complicated plot. Because it had the one thing the movies have been lacking and that's the main characters interacting as people.

Rose and Rey teasing Poe, the three of them learning about each other, just cute moments that show character. It made the book so enjoyable for me.

There's nothing wrong with a straightforward plot, the world and creatures are something new, the interactions are like an oasi
C
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was... ok. A lot of the YA/middle grade star wars novels don't feel a lot different from the adult novels. This one did in some odd ways (for instance, the heroes were constantly only stunning the stormtroopers for some odd reason which is not something you see in the films...).

Not that that is a problem. It is a fun story and I think younger readers would really enjoy it. It just didn't feel like a story that fit with the characters and world that are presented in the films.
Jenna
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This was just OK for me, but I rounded up the score because I know this is really a kids/middle grade book so not really written for me. The plot was simple with a couple of cool “ah ha” moments. My biggest complaint was that the characters felt really flat. I often forgot Rose was there because she wouldn’t be mentioned for long stretches. Rey, and especially her dialogue, felt really out of character. And Poe’s only defining characteristics seemed to be his great hair and his chauvinism (Ok, t ...more
Quinnton Thedens
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this book, being a young readers novel. But I don't think this story is very connected to the overall saga and does not add anymore depth or information. The reason I gave it a 3 stars is because of this.

The story itself is fine but if you're expecting a bunch of hints for The Rise of Skywalker, you would be incredibly disappointed. Luckily, this is a fairly short book.

• Black Spire (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #2)
  • Star Wars Myths & Fables
  • A Crash of Fate (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #1)
  • Dooku: Jedi Lost (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Kylo Ren #1
  • Alphabet Squadron (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #1)
  • Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
  • Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Supreme Leader Snoke #1
  • Star Wars: Tie Fighter
  • Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Rey #1
  • Thrawn: Treason (Star Wars: Thrawn, #3)
  • Star Wars: Age of Republic - Heroes
  • Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Villains
  • Journey To Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker - Allegiance (2019) #1 (of 4)
  • Star Wars: Age of Republic - Villains
  • Star Wars: Age of Resistance - General Hux #1
  • Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Heroes
  • Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Rose Tico #1

Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (10 books)
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • Force Collector (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #2)
  • Allegiance
  • Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker A Finn & Poe Adventure (Star Wars)
  • Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition: The Definitive Guide to the Star Wars Universe
  • The Moviemaking Magic of Star Wars: Ships & Battles
  • The Art of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
  • The Rise of Skywalker (Star Wars: Novelizations, #9)
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary