Start by marking “Force Collector (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #2)” as Want to Read:
Force Collector (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #2)

Force Collector

(Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker)

In this Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker young adult novel set just before The Force Awakens, a restless teenager sets out to discover what connection his mysterious Force powers have to the fabled Jedi and what the Force has in store for him.
Published November 19th 2019 by Disney Lucasfilm Press

To ask other readers questions about Force Collector, please sign up.
R Yup, this is a stand alone story that takes place between epsiodes VI and VII.

Start your review of Force Collector (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #2)
Khurram
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book. Ok this is not an action book or a book that has any great revelations towards Rise of Skywalker, what this book does really well is history of the current 8 movies.

Karr is brought up in a time where the Jedi were either a myth or regarded as traitors. He has his own connections to the force is a rare of being able to to read the history of objects. The other Jedi with this ability was Quinlan Vos (on a side note Vos was my favourite Jedi from the republic era, I don't think his
Jonathan Koan
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I heard about this book, the premise of it didn't really catch my eye. The only thing that intrigued me was that it was part of the "Journey to the Rise of Skywalker" line of books and somehow had details that added to the movie. I heard this book was skippable and not good.

Those sentiments were wrong.

The beginning of this book is a bit cheesy. The first 70ish pages feel like a Harry Potter scene in Star Wars, but after that it really picked up.

I absolutely loved how Karr goes
Unseen Library
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We are less than a week away from the final movie in the main Star Wars saga, The Rise of Skywalker, so it is about time that I got around to reviewing the final Star Wars novel of 2019, Star Wars: Force Collector by Kevin Shinick.

Set shortly before the events of The Force Awakens, Force Collector revolves around Karr, a teenage boy living on a backwater planet. Karr lives a difficult life; anytime he touches an item that has witnessed an important or traumatic event, he gets a searing headache
Neil R. Coulter
Dec 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, star-wars
The important thing about Force Collector: it brings the kleex from the Droids cartoon into the new canon (p. 20).

There’s a lot that I liked about this book. In particular, the relationship between Karr and Maize is good—friendly and adventurous, and only romantic in a very innocent, wholesome way. Their friendship has a very classic sensibility, like Han/Leia/Luke in the original film.

I also like the idea that Force sensitivity doesn’t automatically mean the person should train to become a
Khara
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a nice, nostalgic, sentimental YA Star Wars novel.
Karr is a lonely force sensitive teen, with a droid named RZ-7 as his only friend. He's been having horrible headaches, and blacks out when he touches certin objects. If they have Jedi/force energy, he sees flashes of the who/what beheld the object.
Only his grandma believes he is force sensitive, and does her best to guide him until her death.
Karr meets Maize (a trouble making daughter of a first order employee) while they're
C
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Part of the Journey to the Rise of Skywalker line. I am reading the last few of these books as the movie approaches…

I am not quite sure how to rate this book. I was sitting here waffling between 3 and 4 stars because I definitely felt that the book was good but 4 stars for me is a pretty darned high rating. In the end, I went with four stars as I think that the good far outweighs the bad. That said, I do have a few issues with this story.

Another reviewer said that the first section of the book
chandler
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Your story is yours alone, and you must make of it whatever you will, and whatever you can.”

This was an interesting addition to a galaxy far, far away. While this was not an action-packed story, I enjoyed the references to past generations and learning about the Force through Karr’s eyes.
Tyler Sampson
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Charlie
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not at all what I expected. As a Star Wars novel, I expected fast-paced action and suspense. Instead, I was thrust into the adventure of a boy trying to find himself and where he belongs in the universe.

This coming-of-age/ finding yourself story was quite engaging and enchanting and, despite my quick loss of interest in some novels, it surprisingly held my attention all the way through to the end.

I left this story feeling quite uplifted and craving more of Kevin Shinick's creative and crafty
Marcus
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-listened
This is a really sweet, touching book. I love this kind of Star Wars story that gives us a big sweeping view of the thing. I think Kevin Shinick has done something really wonderful here, shortcomings aside. It is pretty kiddie, but again I just thought it was really sweet.

It's a book that probably has fairly little connection to TROS but does complement the sequel trilogy in a lovely, meaningful way (at least for me). And it leaves things in a place where I would enjoy if I see more of Kar some
Stephanie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
The story was just okay, but I enjoyed all the Easter eggs. This would have been a great “journey to the Force Awakens” book, but makes a terrible “journey to the Rise of Skywalker” book.
Graham Tomlinson
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book, like a few other new canon books they revisit many of the major events in the movies and even some of the characters in a new and innovative way. Great character development and excellent story telling. If you like true Star Wars you will like this book.
Tait Sougstad
Nov 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
A force-sensitive boy and his friend traipse around the galaxy looking for easter eggs. He has the same power as Quinlan Vos (psychometry, for the uber nerds) that allows him to have visions of scenes impressed on inanimate objects.

I was hoping that it would be filled with easter eggs and tie things together, but mostly we see the kid's troubled relationships with their parents and school and visit some predictable famous personalities. The visions allow him to, well, watch the Star Wars movies.
Sam Hval
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it
It gets better as it goes along. A strong ending/second half make up for some of the weak character work in the beginning.
McKenzie Dean
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Force Collector wasn’t what I was expecting it to be. It started out strongly and then…fizzled into nothing. There is no substance to the story, though there is some potential in it. The characters were not well-developed and I didn’t particularly like or connect with any of them. I believe this book would be better served being marketed as middle grade instead of young adult, as it is a coming of age story (sort of?) and the writing style reminds me of several middle grade stories. Based on ...more
Andrew Bulthaupt
I listened to this book via Audible.

Force Collector is an interesting addition to the Star Wars universe. It's similar to Lost Stars in that it's a young adult novel where the characters cross paths - in a way - with major characters and moments from the films. But at the same time, it seems very much separate from those, which makes it confusing as to how it ties into the Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker marketing push.

The story takes places shortly before the events of The Force
Candice
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Star Wars is so much fun and this book was like a nostalgic ride through the galaxy. I think it’s easy to get caught up in the drama online within the Star Wars fandom, so it was nice to escape into Karr’s world and relive some classic moments from the movies. This book is set between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens, and it ties things together perfectly. My only issue with the book was Karr’s whiny attitude, but he is a teenage boy and very much reminded me of Luke in A New Hope. ...more
Sarina
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
This doesn’t hold its own as a book with its generic story and generic characters. Its only redeeming factor is that it’s Star Wars. It touches on the history of the Jedi in a new and interesting way.

I might have enjoyed it more if I wasn’t expecting a YA novel. This definitely felt more middle grade in its style, themes, and maturity level. The narrator even calls the protagonist a kid on multiple occasions. He’s thirteen years old, not the sixteen year old I was expecting.

It has its fun
Daniel Zielke
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was the first book in the new Star Wars cannon that I’ve read, and I enjoyed it immensely. It does not have a grand, sweeping narrative, like most Star Wars fiction, but instead focuses in on one character on his own personal journey. The primary joy I got out of reading this book was noticing little nods and references to the rest of the Star Wars universe, as well as reading a coming of age story, which I was not expecting. This book is perfect for Star Wars fans that want a fresh look at ...more
Barb. D.
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm way past the target age group for this book, but I'm giving it 4 stars because I know the 11 y.o. me would have found it a thrilling read, despite the abundance of Mary Sue moments. Some nice hints (possibly) for the Rise of Skywalker, too.
Josiah
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This novel functions as a “greatest hits” of sort where the protagonist has the force ability to relive events of objects that once belonged to a Jedi.
It’s an interesting read and the dining was well worth it, but I don’t think the author really knew his Star Wars lore as others and it showed with a lot of real world English, especially in the first third with words such as “detention” etc.
I do hope we see more of the character though.

3.8/5
Joe Kessler
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Theoretically, there could be a decent story told about a Force-sensitive youth retracing the path of the earlier Star Wars movies and setting up the sequel trilogy. But this attempt unfortunately misses the mark for me. The characters are flat and juvenile, the overarching plot is pretty minimal, and there's no sense of any serious motivation driving its events -- the protagonist literally just wants to handle historical artifacts to prompt visions that will teach him about the Jedi.

Weaknesses
Lisa
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 out of 5 stars. Review pending.
Hayden Eubanks
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-sci-fi
A cute story. It didn't focus on any of the characters that we come to love in the movies. It's a fresh take on a new character with new adventures.
Danny Brown
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book! It's an easy read, but I found it really interesting seeing Karr learn about the force.
This was... fine. I think as far as Star Wars books go this is probably on the bottom of this list. I didn't actively dislike it but there were factors that kept from actually feeling like Star Wars.
The setting starting out in a school and the way that was presented made the initial portion of this feel completely removed from the SW universe, in fact I wondered for more than a few pages if this was set in our world. That removed initial portion made the whole rest of the book hard to believe
Robert Morvay
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Despite decent enough characters, a sluggish pace and uninventive use of a promising concept make this novel feel unnecessary.
Saimi Korhonen
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
3,5/5!

Force Collector is set just before TFA and is the story of a young boy called Karr who has the ability to see an object's history when he touches it. He believes himself to be Force-sensitive and with his new friend Maize and his loyal droid companion RZ he sets out on a journey across the galaxy to find out the truth about the mysterious Jedi Knights of old and to find his own place in the Force. This book is in a way a bit like a mystery novel - Karr and his friends go in search of
Steven Shinder
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kitty Kolb
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Crash of Fate (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #1)
  • Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Allegiance
  • Black Spire (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #2)
  • Star Wars Myths & Fables
  • Dooku: Jedi Lost
  • Star Wars: Doctor Aphra, Vol. 6: Unspeakable Rebel Superweapon
  • Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
  • Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Villains
  • Star Wars, Vol. 12: Rebels and Rogues
  • Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Heroes
  • Alphabet Squadron (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #1)
  • Star Wars: Tie Fighter
  • Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Heroes
  • Thrawn: Treason (Star Wars: Thrawn, #3)
  • I Am C-3PO: The Inside Story
  • Star Wars: Vader - Dark Visions
  • Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Villains
  • Star Wars: Lando's Luck (Flight of the Falcon, #1)

Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (9 books)
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • Spark of the Resistance  (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #3)
  • The Rise of Skywalker (Star Wars: Novelizations, #9)
  • Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker A Finn & Poe Adventure (Star Wars)
  • Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition: The Definitive Guide to the Star Wars Universe
  • The Moviemaking Magic of Star Wars: Ships & Battles
  • The Art of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
“The Jedi are gone, but if you wanna chase their ghosts, you should go to Batuu.” “Batuu? I’ve never heard of it.” “It’s on the edge of Wild Space—the sort of planet that folks mostly pass through, rather than live or stay. But there’s a fellow there, Dok-Ondar. He’s the finest antiquities dealer I know.” 0 likes