Start by marking “Force Collector (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
Force Collector (Star Wars)

Force Collector

(Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker)

In this Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker young adult novel set just before The Force Awakens, a restless teenager sets out to discover what connection his mysterious Force powers have to the fabled Jedi and what the Force has in store for him.
Published November 19th 2019 by Disney Lucasfilm Press

To ask other readers questions about Force Collector, please sign up.
R Yup, this is a stand alone story that takes place between epsiodes VI and VII.

Start your review of Force Collector (Star Wars)
Khurram
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book. Ok this is not an action book or a book that has any great revelations towards Rise of Skywalker, what this book does really well is history of the current 8 movies.

Karr is brought up in a time where the Jedi were either a myth or regarded as traitors. He has his own connections to the force is a rare of being able to to read the history of objects. The other Jedi with this ability was Quinlan Vos (on a side note Vos was my favourite Jedi from the republic era, I don't think his ap
Jim C
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Actual rating is 2.5 stars.

This is a YA book that is supposed to be tied in with Episode IX. In my opinion it ties in more with Episode VII. In this one, Karr is suffering from headaches when he touches an item and has a vision. He believes he has the force but it is proving difficult to prove since there is very little evidence of it being an actual concept.

At the beginning of this book I was totally invested in the concept of this book. I liked the character of Karr and his droid. I loved the
Neil R. Coulter
Dec 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, star-wars
The important thing about Force Collector: it brings the kleex from the Droids cartoon into the new canon (p. 20).

There’s a lot that I liked about this book. In particular, the relationship between Karr and Maize is good—friendly and adventurous, and only romantic in a very innocent, wholesome way. Their friendship has a very classic sensibility, like Han/Leia/Luke in the original film.

I also like the idea that Force sensitivity doesn’t automatically mean the person should train to become a Jedi
Lata
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was surprisingly enjoyable. We’ve got a 1) teen who gets monster headaches and visions when he touches certain objects, 2) a classmate with a father working for the First a Order and a penchant for causing trouble, 3) a lovable droid, and 4) a grandmother's stories about the apparently totally mythical Jedi and their exploits.
Karr, who's been trying to hone what his grandmother believes is Jedi ability, is frustrated by his lack of control, headaches and fainting spells. After another fain
Unseen Library
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We are less than a week away from the final movie in the main Star Wars saga, The Rise of Skywalker, so it is about time that I got around to reviewing the final Star Wars novel of 2019, Star Wars: Force Collector by Kevin Shinick.

Set shortly before the events of The Force Awakens, Force Collector revolves around Karr, a teenage boy living on a backwater planet. Karr lives a difficult life; anytime he touches an item that has witnessed an important or traumatic event, he gets a searing headache
Jonathan Koan
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I heard about this book, the premise of it didn't really catch my eye. The only thing that intrigued me was that it was part of the "Journey to the Rise of Skywalker" line of books and somehow had details that added to the movie. I heard this book was skippable and not good.

Those sentiments were wrong.

The beginning of this book is a bit cheesy. The first 70ish pages feel like a Harry Potter scene in Star Wars, but after that it really picked up.

I absolutely loved how Karr goes planet-hoppi
Robert
Aug 25, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Owns At Least One Collector's Item
Shelves: guerre-stellari
This was a really interesting exercise as a work of Star Wars fiction- I don't think I'd read a canon book since Catalyst that was overall this light on violence and action, with a very healthy dose of Young Adult coming of age awkwardness to compensate.

Covers don't tell the whole story, obviously, so once I got used to the idea this wasn't going to be the story of a mysterious hooded nomad wandering the wilds but instead a teenaged boy with a few quirks, no friends at school, and a close relati
Anne Pauline
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
This short novel has everything I really like in a Star Wars’ novel: not only you get to have glimpse of the Skywalker’s saga through Karr’s eyes, but you also have an beautiful story about the importance of History. History and memory are not the same, and I truly enjoy the way the character of Karr is questioning his own identity by the prism of his powers. The Force gives him the power to read the past, but does that make him part of the History? Would his memory serve the greater Good and he ...more
Khara
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a nice, nostalgic, sentimental YA Star Wars novel.
Karr is a lonely force sensitive teen, with a droid named RZ-7 as his only friend. He's been having horrible headaches, and blacks out when he touches certin objects. If they have Jedi/force energy, he sees flashes of the who/what beheld the object.
Only his grandma believes he is force sensitive, and does her best to guide him until her death.
Karr meets Maize (a trouble making daughter of a first order employee) while they're bot
Ben Brown
There’s little in “Star Wars: Force Collector” that you haven’t already read in other, better “Star Wars” novels. Yet I’ll give writer Kevin Shinick credit: for all the book’s familiarity in both plotting and character-work, it’s rarely unengaging. Part of that has to do with the ways that Shinick ties the story into the broader “Star Wars” canon, dropping in cameos and locations from the films every chance he gets (honestly, some of his references feels a little TOO fan-servicey, but hey – it’s ...more
Tyler Sampson
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
chandler
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
“Your story is yours alone, and you must make of it whatever you will, and whatever you can.”

This was an interesting addition to a galaxy far, far away. While this was not an action-packed story, I enjoyed the references to past generations and learning about the Force through Karr’s eyes.
Moony MeowPoff
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was so exellent! From start to finish, and as a plus it was easy to follow the writing! Ahh, but i need more! i don't want it to end there. i want to read more about Karr about Maize and how their lives go on after the big discovery! It was just so good! ...more
Penny Wood
I had high hopes for this one, but it was disappointing.
Jacqueline
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was presouse. I had so many laughs with this and alot of, oh shit! moments when it came across the Skywalker's or anything to do with the jedi period. (Nerd radar flashing very high right now) Just the adventure they had alone to find the truth was no stop and tied in perfectly with the franchise. I dont want to give spoilers...but I'm so tempted.
I will admit I was nervous as hell going into this cause I havnt had the best of luck with other starwars novels, but am happy to say that I am p
Candice
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Star Wars is so much fun and this book was like a nostalgic ride through the galaxy. I think it’s easy to get caught up in the drama online within the Star Wars fandom, so it was nice to escape into Karr’s world and relive some classic moments from the movies. This book is set between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens, and it ties things together perfectly. My only issue with the book was Karr’s whiny attitude, but he is a teenage boy and very much reminded me of Luke in A New Hope. 😅 Ove ...more
Charlie
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not at all what I expected. As a Star Wars novel, I expected fast-paced action and suspense. Instead, I was thrust into the adventure of a boy trying to find himself and where he belongs in the universe.

This coming-of-age/ finding yourself story was quite engaging and enchanting and, despite my quick loss of interest in some novels, it surprisingly held my attention all the way through to the end.

I left this story feeling quite uplifted and craving more of Kevin Shinick's creative and crafty s
Emma
Jul 06, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was a fun read with its strengths lying in nostalgia. I enjoyed all of the little flashbacks to big moments in the Skywalker saga. It really felt like a Star Wars story. My biggest gripe with this book has to do with its marketing. I have no clue why it was put in the Journey to The Rise of Skywalker category as it doesn't relate to the film whatsoever except for a brief and uneventful stop on Kijimi. So in that way, it was a bit disappointing. This book could have benefitted from more ...more
Daniel Zielke
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was the first book in the new Star Wars cannon that I’ve read, and I enjoyed it immensely. It does not have a grand, sweeping narrative, like most Star Wars fiction, but instead focuses in on one character on his own personal journey. The primary joy I got out of reading this book was noticing little nods and references to the rest of the Star Wars universe, as well as reading a coming of age story, which I was not expecting. This book is perfect for Star Wars fans that want a fresh look at ...more
Charla Cope
Throughout this whole story I kept thinking that everything was going too smoothly on Karr’s adventures. I feel like in the real Star Wars universe, especially in a time when the first order is around they would of came across more trouble than what they did. It also seems a lot more juvenile than the young adult rating it has. I did like the references to past characters and the part where Karr meets Maz Kanata who is in the new Star Wars trilogy.
Stephanie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
The story was just okay, but I enjoyed all the Easter eggs. This would have been a great “journey to the Force Awakens” book, but makes a terrible “journey to the Rise of Skywalker” book.
C
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Part of the Journey to the Rise of Skywalker line. I am reading the last few of these books as the movie approaches…

I am not quite sure how to rate this book. I was sitting here waffling between 3 and 4 stars because I definitely felt that the book was good but 4 stars for me is a pretty darned high rating. In the end, I went with four stars as I think that the good far outweighs the bad. That said, I do have a few issues with this story.

Another reviewer said that the first section of the book r
Madison Terwilliger ♥
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*5 out of 5 stars!*

This book is a secret gem! It ended up being so much better than I originally thought! This book has an awesome and super moving story line. Plus, it's packed full of Star Wars easter eggs from previous movies!! The main character, Karr, now has a special place in my heart and he must be protected at all costs. I don't really want to dive into the plot and characters for this review, but I did want to point out one thing. I don't really understand why this book is considered "
Marcus
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-listened
This is a really sweet, touching book. I love this kind of Star Wars story that gives us a big sweeping view of the thing. I think Kevin Shinick has done something really wonderful here, shortcomings aside. It is pretty kiddie, but again I just thought it was really sweet.

It's a book that probably has fairly little connection to TROS but does complement the sequel trilogy in a lovely, meaningful way (at least for me). And it leaves things in a place where I would enjoy if I see more of Kar some
DiscoSpacePanther
I make no bones about the fact that I have come to despise the Disney Trilogy of Star Wars movies (particularly the two directed by J.J. Abrams)—they miss the mark in so many ways that watching them is like biting into one of those wax meals that Japanese restaurants have in their windows, i.e. they look like Star Wars at first glance, but at their core they are nothing more than empty fakery with no reason to exist apart from as advertisements for merchandise.

This book is promotional material—
RumBelle
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-wars
This book was not high on my list of favorite Star Wars novels. Mostly because, at least to me, it read more as a teen angst/romance/not getting along with anyone in high school book, rather than a Star Wars book. Yes, elements expected in a Star Wars book were there, but they took a backseat a lot of the time and to me that was disappointing. I mean, within the first five chapters Karr had been sent to the principals office twice! That does not fit with a Star Wars novel.

It was also somewhat re
Jay DeMoir
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
really enjoyed this one. a lot of nice easter eggs and odes to the past. but the one thing that should've been different is that this should've been more so like a "journey to the force awakens" rather than a "journey to the rise of skywalker."

sweet yet repetitive book but i liked a lot of the flashbacks provided by Karr's powers. it really felt like it was set a few years before the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, and it followed Karr Nuq Sin as he discovered his connection
El Hyrst
Full review: https://inkandplasma.wordpress.com/20...

For some reason I wasn't expecting to enjoy this one? I have literally no idea how I got that into my head, but I put it off for a while, before realising my deadline for this post was creeping up on me. And then I read it in one sitting. Because it was really, really good. So. Kudos for being an idiot past-me, we could have read this excellent book ages ago.

This isn't a high-action Star Wars novel, and I actually really loved that. As much a
Hayden
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club, ya-sci-fi
A cute story. It didn't focus on any of the characters that we come to love in the movies. It's a fresh take on a new character with new adventures. ...more
Tait Sougstad
Nov 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
A force-sensitive boy and his friend traipse around the galaxy looking for easter eggs. He has the same power as Quinlan Vos (psychometry, for the uber nerds) that allows him to have visions of scenes impressed on inanimate objects.

I was hoping that it would be filled with easter eggs and tie things together, but mostly we see the kid's troubled relationships with their parents and school and visit some predictable famous personalities. The visions allow him to, well, watch the Star Wars movies.
Karr as the Saga Author 1 2 Aug 26, 2020 07:49AM
Goodreads Librari...: Star Wars: Force Collector UK edition incorrect details 2 12 Dec 20, 2019 04:02AM

• A Crash of Fate (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #1)
  • Black Spire (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #2)
  • Shadow Fall (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #2)
  • Poe Dameron: Free Fall (Star Wars)
  • Queen's Peril (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Myths & Fables
  • The Rise of Skywalker (Star Wars: Novelizations, #9)
  • A Test of Courage (Star Wars: The High Republic)
  • Into the Dark (Star Wars: The High Republic)
  • Light of the Jedi (Star Wars: The High Republic)
  • Star Wars: Allegiance
  • Doctor Aphra (Star Wars)
  • Victory's Price (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #3)
  • Chaos Rising (Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy, #1)
  • Dooku: Jedi Lost (Star Wars)
  • From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back (From a Certain Point of View, #2)
  • Alphabet Squadron (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #1)
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Stories of Light and Dark
See top shelves…

Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (10 books)
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker #1)
  • Spark of the Resistance  (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #3)
  • The Rise of Skywalker (Star Wars: Novelizations, #9)
  • Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker A Finn & Poe Adventure (Star Wars)
  • Ultimate Star Wars