Start by marking “Resistance Reborn” as Want to Read:

Resistance Reborn

(Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker)

The heroes of the Resistance must fight back fro the edge of the oblivion in this pivotal prequel to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
The Resistance is in ruins. In the wake of their harrowing escape from Crait, what was once an army has been reduced to a handful of wounded heroes. Finn, Poe, Rey, Rose, Chewbacca, Leia Organa -- their names are famous among the oppressed
Published November 5th 2019 by Del Rey

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Nov 05, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win a hardcover copy of STAR WARS: RESISTANCE REBORN by Rebecca Roanhorse!

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 1560 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 11 - Dec 11, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Resistance Reborn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resistance Reborn

Start your review of Resistance Reborn
    Bria
    Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Resistance Reborn is one big family reunion. Set almost immediately after The Last Jedi, it begins with the biggest question for the Resistance: what comes next and how the heck do we go on from here? Leia’s comment about how “we already have everything we need” was nice and inspirational but not entirely true: they need supplies and they need allies. Sweet Force, did I dance around with glee at some of the allies the Resistance collected here. As the world’s biggest Battlefront II fan, the incl ...more
    Unseen Library
    Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I received a copy of Star Wars: Resistance Reborn from Penguin Random House Australia to review.

Rating of 4.5.

The road to the final movie in the Skywalker Saga, Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker, begins here with this intriguing tie-in novel, Star Wars: Resistance Reborn, by recent fantasy phenomenon Rebecca Roanhorse. Resistance Reborn is a fantastic and action-packed book that attempts to bridge some of the gaps between The Last Jedi and the upcoming The Rise
    Justine
    Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2019-read

Not quite a 4 star read, but among the Star Wars books I've read, this one measures up well so I'm rounding up.

The story picks up immediately after the battle at Crait, with the Resistance basically down to, well, the Millenium Falcon and whoever fits on her. Resistance Reborn explains a bit about why no one ever answered Leia's call for help (apparently they were all being rounded up preemptively by the First Order), and the efforts to rebuild the Resistance in terms
    Chris Evans
    AKA, "The Last Jedi Is Retconned"
    Shironeesan
    Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
    Deni
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
    3.5 I appreciated the much needed character development of Poe after TLJ. It was interesting to read some canon connections being made in the story. I wish there were more of Leia and Rey.
    Little Feather
    As someone who was looking forward to reading about Rey and her journey, this book was very disappointing. Pretty sure she was only in about five scenes. Literally. And didn't do anything but look worried and talk to Leia about unimportant things. I realize the cover of the book focuses on Poe and I expected him to be a large part of the story, but Rey essentially had no part in the plot.

One scene that was interesting had Poe ask Finn if he and Rey or he and Rose were a thing. Finn says no to b
    Jonathan Koan
    This is the book I’ve been waiting for!!!!

Ever since the Canon announcement in 2014, I have been waiting for the books to really connect. For the last 5 years, books have simply hinted at, shared 1 or 2 characters, or vaguely referenced events in other books.

Until Now!

Rebecca Roanhorse did an excellent, dare I say Stellar job at connecting the canon together. I found references to Lost Stars, Bloodline, the Aftermath Trilogy, The Poe Dameron Comic, the Clone Wars, and Re
    Dennis Keithly
    Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Resistance Assemble!

With The Rise of Skywalker right around the corner, there has been plenty of material released to prepare readers for the movie. Resistance Reborn is one of those novels. This is a fun read that gives Star Wars fans an idea of how the Resistance rebuilt after the events of The Last Jedi.

Setting Expectations: this book really is about the Resistance getting things together, and it is kind of quiet in the action department. There are fights and battles to be had, bu
    Landry
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Perhaps the first truly consequential new canon novel. Essential reading for anyone wanting an enhanced viewing of TROS. Really great pacing and never a good time to put it down - I started and finished in the same day!
    Woolfie Silvanus
    Oh look, let's elaborate about characters that were so poorly served in the dumpster fire of a movie that was The Last Jedi. C'mon readers, we promise to make you care about the rubbish movie plots, and the cliched, underdeveloped characters you don't care for anymore. Remember when we told you Captain Phasma was going to be integral? We even gave her a novel, but none of that matters because her role in the films was either negligible or insulting. Now, after the most idiotic plan ever, the Res ...more
    Lisa
    Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    My full review can be found here: https://t.co/Zf8LURAqMo
    Jordan Anderson
    2019 has been a huge let down when it comes to the Star Wars canon. Aside from Vader: Dark Visions (which a lot of people are divided on), and, to a certain extent, the Disney+ original The Madalorian, it's been a really big bummer of a year to be a Star Wars fan.

That's why I really wasn't chomping at the bit to read Resistance Reborn. Even though it was hailed as an Avengers Infinity War type novel, tying up all the lose ends and getting one last expository story in before December's Rise of Skywalker, the constant frustration and disappointm
    James Taber
    Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
    At first, I wasn't sure about this one. It covers a part of the canon that I'm curious about, and everyone whose opinion I trust says that it's a can't-miss primer for The Rise of Skywalker. But while that's true, I found myself being turned off by the fanservice-y assemblage of characters. I'm happy to see them all, especially one or two I thought I'd never see again.

I'm happy to say, looking back at the complete story, that my initial reservations were too hasty. In total, this is
    Khurram
    Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A really great book. This is the perfect bridging book needed. After the Last Jedi the Resistance survived but it was decimated in personal, weapons and support. The other thing is the time span between the Force Awakens and the Last Jedi is so tiny reading this book I realised how little time the characters have with each other. That is the main point of this book it really give the characters new and old time and a chance to grieve and bond.

One of the great things I always loved ab
    Sinclair  Duncan-Mercer
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This book was amazing and now has me even more excited for TROS! Love all the Poe/Finn moments! But the best parts were the nods to the OT and Legends books. Also the hints of the PT. This book really does have it all, the more I think about it!
    clément
    Jurassic
    Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I finished this novel in 5 days (more like 4.25 days) and here is what I can say about this:

Pros:
    - Very addicting
    The moment you begin the novel pulls your right in. No joke!
    - Cliffhangers
    Many moments when I could not put the book down. Found myself waking up early just to read this.
    - Characters from “Bloodline” make an appearance
    There are 2 characters from that novel. (Please read this before reading this novel)
    - “Inferno Squad”
    (Yesss!!)
    - Likable/lova
    Chris Kelly
    Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    One of the best canon SW novels to date. It sets the scene for TROS, though I don't think I would consider it to be required reading before going to see TROS. The biggest enjoyment for me was how this book ties in characters and events from across many other SW novels, comics, and games. It isn't necessary to have consumed all of the non-film SW media to make sense of the story here, but it does make keeping up with all of the new books and comics being released feel worthwhile.
    Zan
    Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
    Resistance Reborn was ... A fun little romp? But not much more? I felt like it got wrapped up neatly right when it started to get going. Like there should have been a third act.

A couple characterizations don't work, but the majority are spot on, and that's really what shines. Just wish there was more mostly.
    Eric Geller
    Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: star-wars-read
    A fun, fast-paced, jam-packed story that brings back old favorites and makes you want to cheer for new ones too. The characterization is strong, as are the subplots. A great set-up for The Rise of Skywalker.
    Hugh Minor
    Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Nice job building tension and setting up the next film while introducing some new characters. The spark is lit.
    Cris Nicoletti
    Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    4.5 but it touched my heart and exceeded all my expectations. A piece of art.
    Lea  Bowski
    Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: star-wars
    This was so much fun!
    Graham
    Nov 06, 2019 added it
    Desperately needed a copyeditor BUT Poe helps Finn put on a tie for three pages so who can really say if it's good or not.
    Jason Mussett
    Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I started reading this in Waterstones, it works as both a sequel to The Last Jedi ( my favourite out of the new films) and as a prequel to The Rise Of Skywalker. In this our heroes, Rey, Finn, Poe, Rose and Leia try to rally the cause against The First Order who are pretty much taking over planet after planet and generally making everybody's life a misery. There are some great cameos from characters Fans will recognise from previous books and films.
    I have one quibble with this book-and it isn't
    Casey
    Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    SO GOOD. Even as much of a Star Wars nerd as I am, there were references I know I missed. But I love how it tied together so much of the new books, movies, comics, games and more!
    C
    Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
    So, short version – I really really dug this book. I thought it was a fun romp with some deep lore cuts and a ton of fan service moments that seldom felt shoehorned into the story only for the sake of fan service.

Long version – I do have a few problems with this book but none of them are particularly the fault of Roanhorse at all so they do not factor in to my review (that just seems unfair to me right now and the book was so much fun it gets a good bit of goodwill from me.). My main
    Albert Riehle
    I'm a fan of Rebecca Roanhorse's original work and I was excited to see her take a turn writing in the Star Wars universe but this book was pretty bland to me. It's not bad--but it's not good either. Mostly, I felt like a good writer was pretty tethered by writing in someone else's world and having the constraints of not being able to do what she wanted with the characters or plotting.

Rey was drawn the way a child might draw a stick figure. That was the depth her character was given. She is the
    Amanda
    I don't entirely love the writing of this book, or what feels like a deep (and far too specific) marginalization of Rose & Rey, but that is absolutely made up for by having so much Leia and THE BIG REVEAL. I'm copy-pasting my live plurk for the whole read below. Spoilers definitely existing inside it.

ɑรรɑรรiɳcɑptɑiɳ
    ‘Balked, but eventually bent’
    Great phrasing.

ɑรรɑรรiɳcɑptɑiɳ
    This harrowing background music. Forever I will own all the hardcovers, but listen to these amazing
    « previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Black Spire (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #2)
    • A Crash of Fate (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #1)
    • Dooku: Jedi Lost (Star Wars)
    • Alphabet Squadron (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #1)
    • The Little Engine That Could
    • Star Wars Myths & Fables
    • The Snowy Day (Peter, #1)
    • Bedtime Stories for Kids
    • Thrawn: Treason (Star Wars: Thrawn, #3)
    • Master and Apprentice (Star Wars)
    • Wiggly the Worm
    • Sakız Sardunya
    • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1)
    • Steve Jobs
    • Sunny Side Up (Sunny, #1)
    • The Dragonet Prophecy (Wings of Fire, #1)
    • Star Wars: Tie Fighter
    • Allies
    Rebecca Roanhorse is a Nebula and Hugo Award-winning speculative fiction writer and the recipient of the 2018 Campbell Award for Best New Writer. Her short fiction has also been a finalist for the Sturgeon, Locus and World Fantasy awards. Her novel Trail of Lightning was selected as an Amazon, B&N, Library Journal, and NRP Best Books of 2018, among others, and is a 2019 Nebula Finalist.

Her sh

Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (10 books)
    • Force Collector (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #2)
    • Allegiance
    • Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker A Finn & Poe Adventure (Star Wars)
    • Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Spark of the Resistance
    • Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition: The Definitive Guide to the Star Wars Universe
    • The Moviemaking Magic of Star Wars: Ships & Battles
    • The Art of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
    • The Rise of Skywalker (Star Wars: Novelizations, #9)
    • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
    “Rey's face fell, and Leia could see the pain etched there.The girl cared about Ben, and he had disappointed her.” 2 likes
    “Finn stepped forward immediately. "Used to be a stormtrooper, but now I'm rebel scum," he said, pressing a fist over his heart. "Until the end."
    "My point," Poe said, turning back to Agoyo, "is that many of us have dubious beginnings, but it is how we end that counts."
    "My father was Darth Vader," Leia said, pitching her voice so that it rang out clearly through the room, "Is there anyone who wants to question my loyalty to the Resistance?”
    2 likes